Reksew_Trebla’s munchkin guide to swapping your high level character for a different, more useful, character.


Pathfinder First Edition General Discussion


Step 1: Make a “backup” build appropiate to your current situation, especially if it wouldn’t have made it this far because it only becomes a good build after a specific level (like builds revolving around the feat Spell Perfection, which requires 15 ranks in a skill, thus level 15).

Step 2: Buy paper/parchment, ink, and a pen. Irl, you will need a piece of paper and something to write with. Write on your character sheet’s item section “last will and testament”. Then on the irl paper, write “Last Will and Testament. Do not revive me.”

Step 3: Purposely get yourself killed. When the party goes to revive you, announce you are unwilling, thus the spell fails.

Step 4: When the players get mad at you cause they just wasted a bunch of money for the spell, point to your items on your character sheet, and pull out the will, and mention how it is their own fault for not looking at your items.

Step 5: Insert new character.

Step 6: ???

Step 7: Profit.

Am I munchkining hard enough?


This works at my table right up until "insert new character".

Silver Crusade

I have a better plan.

Explain to the GM that you're no longer enjoying playing the character you're playing and ask if you can retire the old one and create a new character.

Work with GM to decide how and when former character retires, how current character is built and introduced.

If GM refuses then leave campaign.

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

Is this a joke thread? Because I'm having a hard time finding the joke, can anybody lend a hand?

Grand Lodge

3 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Lost Omens Subscriber; Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber

I can ! I have possessed hand, hand autonomy and detachable hand =)


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Have you got a ring of eloquence too? It'd be great to be able to meaningfully tell people to talk to the hand.


i have a small problem with step #3.
while it's one thing having your character die. killing yourself (the player) would make it hard going on to steps #4+ .

please remember to always separate real life and games.


Gorbacz wrote:
Is this a joke thread? Because I'm having a hard time finding the joke, can anybody lend a hand?

The thing is that a lot of GMs like to make up reasons why your character you’ve been playing for a long time can’t be swapped out, or some of them don’t even do that, and just say you can’t switch characters.

Normally you should find a new group then, but that isn’t always an option. Maybe there are no more groups nearby, and you don’t have reliable transportation for the farther away ones. Maybe the GM is family, and the rest of your family, who don’t play games, aren’t going to understand your side of things, thus straining ties to family members. Maybe the GM is a close friend, and you don’t want to hurt their feelings by switching to a new group.

There are many reasons why you might have to stick with this. So if the GM is doing this, you can only fight it by pulling crap like this. So no joke really, unless you count dead memes, which the last two steps were a reference to one such dead meme.


You seem awfully confident that a GM who already denied you rerolling your character via fiat is going to just roll over and okay a new one just because your character decided to cut his own throat as an intermediate step rather than the far more likely result of you getting told to either get serious or pack up your dice and go home.

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
Reksew_Trebla wrote:
Gorbacz wrote:
Is this a joke thread? Because I'm having a hard time finding the joke, can anybody lend a hand?

The thing is that a lot of GMs like to make up reasons why your character you’ve been playing for a long time can’t be swapped out, or some of them don’t even do that, and just say you can’t switch characters.

Normally you should find a new group then, but that isn’t always an option. Maybe there are no more groups nearby, and you don’t have reliable transportation for the farther away ones. Maybe the GM is family, and the rest of your family, who don’t play games, aren’t going to understand your side of things, thus straining ties to family members. Maybe the GM is a close friend, and you don’t want to hurt their feelings by switching to a new group.

There are many reasons why you might have to stick with this. So if the GM is doing this, you can only fight it by pulling crap like this. So no joke really, unless you count dead memes, which the last two steps were a reference to one such dead meme.

The proper way of handling is to talk it out or walk away.

Otherwise the only way this will end is with tears and mental health issues, and that's honestly not worth it in the long run. Getting hit with crap and hitting other with crap in return will only result in more shattered mirrors. And frankly, your posting style tells me you're far closer to the edge than you should be.

You're basically asking if a solution that will result in escalating your personal problems with the game is cool. It's not, it won't work, it will only get worse for you if you'll keep trying to use rules to solve personal problems.


I invest a lot of time and thought in my characters to simply "swap them out." I would allow someone to do it at early levels (early enough raising them isn't possible) and that's about it. If they tried something like this I'd remove them from group. They wouldn't have to ask.

If your GM is such a friend maybe don't treat the game he takes the time to run from you so casually as to say any player could be switched for another. I personally work hard to add elements of backgrounds into my stories and it's more an insult to the game runner to flippantly think tactics like this would fly than to be a player "stuck" with a character you yourself made.

This guide sucks


1 person marked this as a favorite.

You know that thing about out-of-game problems and in-game solutions?


1 person marked this as a favorite.
blahpers wrote:
You know that thing about out-of-game problems and in-game solutions?

always a great idea?


Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber; Pathfinder Companion, Maps, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Maps, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber

Before carrying out something this drastic, you might want to look into whether there is some reasonable way to retrain or rebuild your current character into something that you like better (with the latter requiring some GM assistance, of course).

It can be damaging to a campaign if few or none of the original PCs are still around later on -- but if you can continue the campaign with a character who has all of the original memories of the original character even with drastic differences in abilities, that problem does not occur.

Community / Forums / Pathfinder / Pathfinder First Edition / General Discussion / Reksew_Trebla’s munchkin guide to swapping your high level character for a different, more useful, character. All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.