Sneak Attack from Multiclassing stacking


Rules Questions

1 to 50 of 75 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | next > last >>

Hello everyone,

I am having a discussion from someone regarding sneak attack and multiclassing. The argument is under the multiclassing rules that multiple abilities of the same name do not stack, (and it was even FAQ'd that only assassin's sneak attack stacks) so why should sneak attack? The example given here was a rogue / slayer multiclass. I don't think sneak attack from multi classing stacks unless explicitly said, am I correct?

Thanks,


Are you talking about the variant multiclassing rules or just taking levels in different classes?

I don't know the VMC rules so if that's what you're asking about I don't know. Otherwise, multiple abilities of the same name stack if the ability in question says they stack. Sneak attack, animal companions and familiars are all abilities which explicitly stack with themselves.


Rogue and slayer don’t have the ‘stacks with other sources of sneak attack’ language.


If they dont have the stack with clause other sources clause, you just have 2 sources of sneak attack that you apply to your attacks. You would simply use the sneak attack dice you gain from each class and they wouldn't stack for determining the total amount you get.

Similarly, a wizard/cleric multiclass doesn't only gain spells from one of the classes even though both have a class feature called "spellcasting".

This could be beneficial if they both get sneak attack every odd level, as 1 level in both would get you 2d6 sneak attack damage added to your attack.


LordKailas wrote:

Are you talking about the variant multiclassing rules or just taking levels in different classes?

I don't know the VMC rules so if that's what you're asking about I don't know. Otherwise, multiple abilities of the same name stack if the ability in question says they stack. Sneak attack, animal companions and familiars are all abilities which explicitly stack with themselves.

This is regardling normal multiclassing.

All Sneak Attack stack with itself? As far as I can tell only certain classes sneak attack stacks per the FAQ https://paizo.com/paizo/faq/v5748nruor1fm#v5748eaic9o80

Arcane Trickster, Assassin, stacks, Rogue multiclassing with slayer would not stack in this example.


I noticed that the ninja class also lacks this phrasing. The rogue class doesn't mention it stacking because when it was written there were not any other classes that granted sneak attack. The ninja class is a replacement class for rogue, so it makes sense that the sneak attack section was just cut and paste from rogue. IIRC the hybrid classes were also originally supposed to be replacement classes, meaning you couldn't multiclass slayer and rogue.

However, the hybrid classes have become their own independent classes meaning the whole "parent class" portion of the description is purely informative and no longer carries any weight. As a result by RAW these classes do not stack with each other. But every archetype that grants sneak attack calls out pretty explicitly that it stacks with other sources of sneak attack. In fact the way vivisectionist is worded the intent seems to be that sneak attack from different sources is supposed to stack.

vivisectionist wrote:
At 1st level, a vivisectionist gains the sneak attack ability as a rogue of the same level. If a character already has sneak attack from another class, the levels from the classes that grant sneak attack stack to determine the effective rogue level for the sneak attack’s extra damage dice.


LordKailas wrote:

I noticed that the ninja class also lacks this phrasing. The rogue class doesn't mention it stacking because when it was written there were not any other classes that granted sneak attack. The ninja class is a replacement class for rogue, so it makes sense that the sneak attack section was just cut and paste from rogue. IIRC the hybrid classes were also originally supposed to be replacement classes, meaning you couldn't multiclass slayer and rogue.

However, the hybrid classes have become their own independent classes meaning the whole "parent class" portion of the description is purely informative and no longer carries any weight. As a result by RAW these classes do not stack with each other. But every archetype that grants sneak attack calls out pretty explicitly that it stacks with other sources of sneak attack. In fact the way vivisectionist is worded the intent seems to be that sneak attack from different sources is supposed to stack.

vivisectionist wrote:
At 1st level, a vivisectionist gains the sneak attack ability as a rogue of the same level. If a character already has sneak attack from another class, the levels from the classes that grant sneak attack stack to determine the effective rogue level for the sneak attack’s extra damage dice.

Unfortunately I believe the FAQ overrides the class feature text here. Is there any other argument for allowing sneak attack stacking? Am I wrong and does that text override the FAQ?


Url you gave for FAQ doesn’t appear to work


well this actually mention that you need it to specifically say it stack to work and go on to give the assassin's sneak attack stacking dice for example.

so yea. if it doesn't say it stack - you know how to do xd6 from one class and yd6 from an other doesn't mean they each add to each other. it might be the same kind of knowledge... (stick him with the sharp end)


A lack of wording on a class or archetype to explicitly say "it stacks" doesn't necessarily mean it doesn't stack.

Unfortunately editing isn't perfect and not all classes/archetypes are written consistently. Different people write them, and sometimes even the same person will write something differently months later.

As far as I'm aware, all instances of sneak attack stack with all others, unless they have wording to specify that it doesn't stack. But I have no source for that.

If you never looked at the vivisectionist would you have reason to believe sneak attack doesn't stack?


The hybrid class language says shared class features don’t stack unless otherwise specified (which I believe is redundant with a general rule that class features don’t stack unless specified, but that’s neither here nor there). So there is explicit language that sneak attack doesn’t stack (unless specified, which rogue and Slayer don’t).


Brian CKC wrote:
LordKailas wrote:

Are you talking about the variant multiclassing rules or just taking levels in different classes?

I don't know the VMC rules so if that's what you're asking about I don't know. Otherwise, multiple abilities of the same name stack if the ability in question says they stack. Sneak attack, animal companions and familiars are all abilities which explicitly stack with themselves.

This is regardling normal multiclassing.

All Sneak Attack stack with itself? As far as I can tell only certain classes sneak attack stacks per the FAQ https://paizo.com/paizo/faq/v5748nruor1fm#v5748eaic9o80

Arcane Trickster, Assassin, stacks, Rogue multiclassing with slayer would not stack in this example.

The FAQ has a caveat, though:

FAQ wrote:
unless an ability specifically says it stacks with similar abilities

Well, what Snakebite Striker Sneak Attack says

Snakebite Striker wrote:
If she gets a sneak attack bonus from another source, the bonuses on damage stack.

So, that's good.

Arcane Trickster Sneak Attack sure does stack;

Arcane Trickster wrote:
If an arcane trickster gets a sneak attack bonus from another source, the bonuses on damage stack.

The Mantis Zealot Warpriest Archetype doesn't pose any problem either.

Mantis Zealot wrote:
If the zealot gets a sneak attack bonus from another source, the bonuses stack.

It's not a problem for a Vivisectionist Alchemist, either.

Vivisectionist wrote:
If a character already has sneak attack from another class, the levels from the classes that grant sneak attack stack

It's also not a problem with the Greensting Slayer Magus Archetype.

Greensting Slayer wrote:
If a greensting slayer gets a sneak attack from another source, the bonuses on damage stack.

Greensting Slayer is an interesting example though. The 1d6 SAD bonus only occurs when the Magus spends 1 point from her Arcane Pool. It's a new application for your Arcane Pool, so I don't think it counts as the Sneak Attack Class Ability. So I don't think you could use this ability to count as a prerequisite for becoming an Arcane Trickster or taking Accomplished Sneak Attacker, for example.

The Feat Accomplished Sneak Attacker clearly stacks with other forms of SAD because the Sneak Attack Class Feature, and the wording of the Benefits is

Accomplished Sneak Attacker wrote:
Your sneak attack damage increases by 1d6.

So it seems that while there is an FAQ that says that SAD does not, as a rule, stack unless the wording says otherwise, it seems like wording "Your Sneak Attack Damage increases by 1d6" is in fact stacking-wording. The FAQ also says

FAQ wrote:
or adds in some way based on the character's total class levels

And Accomplished Sneak Attacker says

Accomplished Sneak Attacker wrote:
Your number of sneak attack dice cannot exceed half your character level (rounded up).

Although that wording is unnecessary for the Precise Strike Teamwork Feat:

Precise Strike wrote:
This bonus damage stacks with other sources of precision damage, such as sneak attack.

Slayer Sneak Attack Damage does not say that, so I guess Ninja/Slayers are out of luck, unless of course, you are a Slayer/Snakebite Striker Brawler: even if SAD from other sources will not stack with Slayer, your Slayer SAD will stack with Snakebite Striker Brawler!

I guess you could argue that while Slayer SAD and Ninja SAD both stack with Snakebite Striker Brawler SAD, if a character were a Snakebite Striker Brawler/Ninja/Slayer, she would have to choose between adding the levels in Ninja or Slayer to the SAD of Brawler because she wouldn't be able to add both since while both stack with Brawler, they don't stack with each other.

It seems that even considering that FAQ, you still have abundant Multiclass options for a Sneak Attack Character:

You can be a Ninja/Snakebite Striker Brawler/Mantis Zealot Warpriest/Greansting Slayer Magus/Cavalier/Vivisectionist with Accomplished Sneak Attacker and Precise Strike and get all that lovely SAD from all those sources!


That only covers interactions of Slayer with other classes.

Their are a myriad of classes and archetypes that gain sneak attack.

And I would venture to argue that potentially sneak attack was an overlooked feature, and that the general language regarding hybrid classes while a general rule about class feature, wasn't meant to cause sneak attack not to stack. Although certainly by the rules as written it would appear slayer's sneak attack wouldn't stack with anything that calls itself sneak attack or that says it functions like sneak attack*. However, this doesn't really help clarify which classes versions of sneak attack would stack with each other, except that slayer doesn't stack with any.

* Because you could end up with an ability that works like sneak attack without being called sneak attack and doesn't use the phrase "functions as sneak attack".


And Scott Wilhem's post actually exemplifies why I feel Slayer might be an oversight.

There are at least 6 classes and archetypes alone that grant sneak attack progression that stacks. So if the concern was allowing classes to front load too much sneak attack...I'm not sure it's really a fair concern since you could use other classes to do exactly that.


Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber; Pathfinder Companion, Maps, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Maps, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber

The Vivisectionist actually stacks levels, not damage dice (so a rogue 1/alchemist (vivisectionist) 1, for example, would not get his second sneak attack die until he gains a second level in either class). That is a major exception to the otherwise general rule of stacking the damage dice rather than the levels.


Reposting the FAQ

FAQ wrote:

Channel Energy: If I have this ability from more than one class, do they stack?

No—unless an ability specifically says it stacks with similar abilities (such as an assassin's sneak attack), or adds in some way based on the character's total class levels (such as improved uncanny dodge), the abilities don't stack and you have to use them separately. Therefore, cleric channeling doesn't stack with paladin channeling, necromancer channeling, oracle of life channeling, and so on.

Like I said previously, you apply the instances of sneak attack separately.

Lets say you were a unrogue 1/slayer 3/wizard 3, you would have two instances of sneak attack 1d6. If you attacked a target and met the requirements for applying sneak attack, you would deal 2 instances of +1d6 precision damage or 2d6 overall. However, since neither class grants you 2d6 sneak attack, you would not qualify for arcane trickster, since you only have 1d6 sneak attack.


Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber; Pathfinder Companion, Maps, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Maps, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber

And there would be the additional can of worms in regard to what levels of improved uncanny dodge particular class level combinations of sneak attack can overcome.

Grand Lodge

willuwontu wrote:

Reposting the FAQ

FAQ wrote:

Channel Energy: If I have this ability from more than one class, do they stack?

No—unless an ability specifically says it stacks with similar abilities (such as an assassin's sneak attack), or adds in some way based on the character's total class levels (such as improved uncanny dodge), the abilities don't stack and you have to use them separately. Therefore, cleric channeling doesn't stack with paladin channeling, necromancer channeling, oracle of life channeling, and so on.

Like I said previously, you apply the instances of sneak attack separately.

Lets say you were a unrogue 1/slayer 3/wizard 3, you would have two instances of sneak attack 1d6. If you attacked a target and met the requirements for applying sneak attack, you would deal 2 instances of +1d6 precision damage or 2d6 overall. However, since neither class grants you 2d6 sneak attack, you would not qualify for arcane trickster, since you only have 1d6 sneak attack.

This is incorrect. If that were the case then we would not need the wording to say that it stacked to begin with as 2d6 SA and 1d6+1d6 are the same. If it was intended only to make a difference for prerequisites then it would say as much. As is, there is literally no mention of prerequisites in that FAQ.


Jurassic Pratt wrote:
This is incorrect. If that were the case then we would not need the wording to say that it stacked to begin with as 2d6 SA and 1d6+1d6 are the same. If it was intended only to make a difference for prerequisites then it would say as much. As is, there is literally no mention of prerequisites in that FAQ.

So you would say different sources of extra damage don't stack?


David knott 242 wrote:
And there would be the additional can of worms in regard to what levels of improved uncanny dodge particular class level combinations of sneak attack can overcome.

Review the FAQ again: Uncanny Dodge was specifically called out as an exception to things like this not stacking.


Jurassic Pratt wrote:
willuwontu wrote:

Reposting the FAQ

FAQ wrote:

Channel Energy: If I have this ability from more than one class, do they stack?

No—unless an ability specifically says it stacks with similar abilities (such as an assassin's sneak attack), or adds in some way based on the character's total class levels (such as improved uncanny dodge), the abilities don't stack and you have to use them separately. Therefore, cleric channeling doesn't stack with paladin channeling, necromancer channeling, oracle of life channeling, and so on.

Like I said previously, you apply the instances of sneak attack separately.

Lets say you were a unrogue 1/slayer 3/wizard 3, you would have two instances of sneak attack 1d6. If you attacked a target and met the requirements for applying sneak attack, you would deal 2 instances of +1d6 precision damage or 2d6 overall. However, since neither class grants you 2d6 sneak attack, you would not qualify for arcane trickster, since you only have 1d6 sneak attack.

This is incorrect. If that were the case then we would not need the wording to say that it stacked to begin with as 2d6 SA and 1d6+1d6 are the same. If it was intended only to make a difference for prerequisites then it would say as much. As is, there is literally no mention of prerequisites in that FAQ.

My point is that even if willuwontu is right that SAD from Rogue and Slayer won't stack, there are lots of easy alternatives. Just be a Rogue/Snakebite Striker: no problem.

I'm not at all certain that Claxon isn't right about Slayer being an oversight or being properly exempt for some other reason.


Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber; Pathfinder Companion, Maps, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Maps, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber
Scott Wilhelm wrote:
David knott 242 wrote:
And there would be the additional can of worms in regard to what levels of improved uncanny dodge particular class level combinations of sneak attack can overcome.
Review the FAQ again: Uncanny Dodge was specifically called out as an exception to things like this not stacking.

That is not what I meant to refer to. What I was thinking of was the effective rogue level of the sneak attacker in various combinations of class levels vs. a character with Improved Uncanny Dodge.


Really, the best way for game cohesion, IMO, would have been to make a blanket rule that all sneak attack progression basically stacked like a Vivisectionist, which is you look only at the overall character level.

The only problem that develops with that is with certain archetypes that change the level progression of obtaining sneak attack dice. The only one I know of of the top of my head is the Rogue Eldritch Scoundrel.


There's others too, slayer, snakebite brawler, nature fang. There's too many different progressions to do it the way the vivisectionist says. It's far easier and more sensible to just stack it.


I think the easiest and most sensible ruling would be that it all fully stacks, but everything beyond the normal Rogue progression gets ignored.

Shadow Lodge

As mentioned in at least one post:

Hybrid Classes wrote:
Parent Classes: Each of the following classes draws upon two classes to form the basis of its theme. While a character can multiclass with these parent classes, doing so usually results in redundant abilities. Such abilities don't stack unless specified. If a class feature allows the character to make a one-time choice (such as a bloodline), that choice must match similar choices made by the parent classes and vice-versa (such as selecting the same bloodline).

Relevant PRD Page

RAW, a Slayer's Sneak Attack does not stack with a Rogue's Sneak Attack but would stack with Sneak Attack from any other class.

Basically, they're attempting to avoid player's double-dipping on class features by doing a hybrid class / parent class build.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

They may have attempted to do so with the Hybrid classes, but since we've already noted in this thread at least a half dozen ways to do it, it seems like a bad mechanic that wasn't specifically aimed at Sneak Attack, or that the Slayer's sneak attack description should have included a line saying it stacks (the most likely thing to me, I think it was simply omitted).

Grand Lodge

Hehe
Anybody here that won’t stack the number of combat feats gained from both Brawler and Fighter levels?
Combat feats are a fighter class feature.

But we would never stack bloodrage and normal rage rounds or stack the rounds of bardic performance with skald’s rage song.
And we would never stack Hunter spellcasting with Ranger or Druid.

If sneak attack and combat feats are an exception, then Rogues and Fighters gets a long deserved power boost.

Grand Lodge

The only difference in sneak attack not stacking would be if the target has DR...if you get sneak attack from multiple, non-stacking sources, they would be applied separately against DR...so your 1d4 dagger + 1d6 sneak from X + 1d6 sneak from Y would be useless against something with DR 10/-, while your 1d4 dagger with +2d6 stacked sneak attack might stand a chance of penetrating it.

So, no...they do not stack unless explicitly stated...however they do still all trigger.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Slyme wrote:

The only difference in sneak attack not stacking would be if the target has DR...if you get sneak attack from multiple, non-stacking sources, they would be applied separately against DR...so your 1d4 dagger + 1d6 sneak from X + 1d6 sneak from Y would be useless against something with DR 10/-, while your 1d4 dagger with +2d6 stacked sneak attack might stand a chance of penetrating it.

So, no...they do not stack unless explicitly stated...however they do still all trigger.

well, if they overlapped instead of stacked you would roll the two sneak attack dice separately and then take the better of the two. The same way bleed damage doesn't stack. You get whatever the highest bleed damage was done between all the bleed effects each round.

So, it would be 1d4+2d6 vs 1d4+1d6(roll twice take the highest)

the second option is overall worse regardless if DR is involved or not.

Grand Lodge

I've never seen damage from multiple sources at once overwrite each other in the way you are describing. Buff spells work like that, damage does not.

You attack with your dagger...if you qualify it triggers your sneak attack damage, multiple iterations can be triggered at once since they are rider effects and not actions, if they have the wording to make them stack you add them before DR, if not you calculate them separately.


If you don't think sneak attack stacks and that you have two separate sneak attacks, how do you apply acomplished sneak attacker? If there's two sneak attacks then they'd both go up by 1d6 each time you took the feat, or at the very least you could take it more than once and apply it to each "sneak attack" that you have as long as you keep each below half your character level. So something like a 7th level character having +3d6 +3d6 via accomplished sneak attacker which isn't 6d6 cause silliness.

It should stack and that's that. Whatever the RAW is it's been understood to stack for years by the vast majority of players and that's how it should be played.

Grand Lodge

I know HeroLab is not a definitive source for rules clarifications, but HeroLab does separate sneak attack from some sources into different pools.

RAI, I have no doubt it was meant to stack...but some people are bound by RAW (PFS players) and Paizo refuses to arbitrate the majority of the rules they write, which leaves us with situations just like this.


baggageboy wrote:
Whatever the RAW is it's been understood to stack for years by the vast majority of players and that's how it should be played.

And then the vast majority of players find out they've been wrong all these years through an FAQ!


willuwontu wrote:
baggageboy wrote:
Whatever the RAW is it's been understood to stack for years by the vast majority of players and that's how it should be played.
And then the vast majority of players find out they've been wrong all these years through an FAQ!

Also it's important to keep in mind that I'd does indeed stack in almost every case. I think we've found exactly 1 class where the developers didn't include the language to say that it stacked.


Slyme wrote:
I've never seen damage from multiple sources at once overwrite each other in the way you are describing. Buff spells work like that, damage does not.

As I said, this is exactly how bleed damage works.

Bleed wrote:
Bleed effects do not stack with each other unless they deal different kinds of damage. When two or more bleed effects deal the same kind of damage, take the worse effect. In this case, ability drain is worse than ability damage.
baggageboy wrote:
Also it's important to keep in mind that I'd does indeed stack in almost every case. I think we've found exactly 3 classes where the developers didn't include the language to say that it stacked.

Fixed.

but otherwise I completely agree with you. If only one class lacked the language it wouldn't be an issue. It becomes an issue when you try to mix two of the 3 odd classes that don't include the language. By the RAW slayer doesn't stack with rogue/ninja. But weirdly, a character that's rogue(1)/slayer(3)/vivisectionist(1) by the RAW, thanks to the way vivisectionist is written, all 3 stack.


LordKailas wrote:
baggageboy wrote:
Also it's important to keep in mind that I'd does indeed stack in almost every case. I think we've found exactly 3 classes where the developers didn't include the language to say that it stacked.

Fixed.

but otherwise I completely agree with you. If only one class lacked the language it wouldn't be an issue. It becomes an issue when you try to mix two of the 3 odd classes that don't include the language. By the RAW slayer doesn't stack with rogue/ninja. But weirdly, a character that's rogue(1)/slayer(3)/vivisectionist(1) by the RAW, thanks to the way vivisectionist is written, all 3 stack.

Last I looked, you aren't even allowed to be a Rogue/Ninja or a Core Rogue/Unchained Rogue, for that matter. Those 3 classes are all sort of alternatives 1 class.


Scott Wilhelm wrote:
LordKailas wrote:
baggageboy wrote:
Also it's important to keep in mind that I'd does indeed stack in almost every case. I think we've found exactly 3 classes where the developers didn't include the language to say that it stacked.

Fixed.

but otherwise I completely agree with you. If only one class lacked the language it wouldn't be an issue. It becomes an issue when you try to mix two of the 3 odd classes that don't include the language. By the RAW slayer doesn't stack with rogue/ninja. But weirdly, a character that's rogue(1)/slayer(3)/vivisectionist(1) by the RAW, thanks to the way vivisectionist is written, all 3 stack.

Last I looked, you aren't even allowed to be a Rogue/Ninja or a Core Rogue/Unchained Rogue, for that matter. Those 3 classes are all sort of alternatives 1 class.

yes, I never suggested that you could combine rogue with ninja. As a player you can only take levels in one or the other. But a rogue(1)/slayer(3) will have the same "apparent" stacking problems that a ninja(1)/slayer(3) will since none of those 3 classes include language that states that the sneak attack ability stacks with other sources of sneak attack.


LordKailas wrote:

As I said, this is exactly how bleed damage works.

Bleed wrote:
Bleed effects do not stack with each other unless they deal different kinds of damage. When two or more bleed effects deal the same kind of damage, take the worse effect. In this case, ability drain is worse than ability damage.

And bleed has a specific clause for this. Nowhere does it state that only the largest sneak attack applies, therefore they all apply.


willuwontu wrote:
LordKailas wrote:

As I said, this is exactly how bleed damage works.

Bleed wrote:
Bleed effects do not stack with each other unless they deal different kinds of damage. When two or more bleed effects deal the same kind of damage, take the worse effect. In this case, ability drain is worse than ability damage.
And bleed has a specific clause for this.

correct, bleed effects have a special clause that they don't stack. It then goes on to describe how non-stacking damage should be handled.


LordKailas wrote:
willuwontu wrote:
LordKailas wrote:

As I said, this is exactly how bleed damage works.

Bleed wrote:
Bleed effects do not stack with each other unless they deal different kinds of damage. When two or more bleed effects deal the same kind of damage, take the worse effect. In this case, ability drain is worse than ability damage.
And bleed has a specific clause for this.
correct, bleed effects have a special clause that they don't stack. It then goes on to describe how non-stacking damage should be handled.

No, it then goes on to explain what happens when multiple bleed effects are on something. It has no relevance to this thread.


Sanctified Slayer also lacks the language. So kind of 5 classes? Most of which you are also banned from multiclassing between, and one that has specific language saying its class features won’t stack with most of the others. Along with a FAQ saying that that specific class feature normally doesn’t stack between classes.


willuwontu wrote:
No, it then goes on to explain what happens when multiple bleed effects are on something. It has no relevance to this thread.

I disagree, unless you can direct me to rules that define how non-stacking damage is supposed to be handled.


LordKailas wrote:
willuwontu wrote:
No, it then goes on to explain what happens when multiple bleed effects are on something. It has no relevance to this thread.

I disagree, unless you can direct me to rules that define how non-stacking damage is supposed to be handled.

for multiple non-stacking weapon enhancement bonuses to weapon damage, we’ve always played you use the biggest one and don’t add the other. Pretty sure that’s RAW.


Lelomenia wrote:
LordKailas wrote:
willuwontu wrote:
No, it then goes on to explain what happens when multiple bleed effects are on something. It has no relevance to this thread.

I disagree, unless you can direct me to rules that define how non-stacking damage is supposed to be handled.

for multiple non-stacking weapon enhancement bonuses to weapon damage, we’ve always played you use the biggest one and don’t add the other. Pretty sure that’s RAW.

Which is consistent with the bleed damage rule I quoted....

Grand Lodge

Bleed is a status effect, it just happens to deal damage. Status effects always overwrite each other.


LordKailas wrote:
I disagree, unless you can direct me to rules that define how non-stacking damage is supposed to be handled.

I disagree, unless you can point me to rules that state that extra damage from different sources doesn't stack.

Question to clarify your stance.

If a swashbuckler with rogue levels were to meet the conditions of sneak attack and use precise strike, would the damage from both be applied to the final damage of the attack?

Note that rogue and swash don't stack with each other for the purposes of sneak attack or precise strike.


willuwontu wrote:

Question to clarify your stance.

If a swashbuckler with rogue levels were to meet the conditions of sneak attack and use precise strike, would the damage from both be applied to the final damage of the attack?

Note that rogue and swash don't stack with each other for the purposes of sneak attack or precise strike.

What makes you say they don't stack?

Swashbuckler doesn't get sneak attack. The fact that it's an ability that also deals precision damage doesn't make it sneak attack.

I might be missing something but they appear to stack.


LordKailas wrote:

What makes you say they don't stack?

Swashbuckler doesn't get sneak attack. The fact that it's an ability that also deals precision damage doesn't make it sneak attack.

I might be missing something but they appear to stack.

They don't say they stack, if they do stack, explain why they stack.


They don't stack, but they don't need to stack. They're two separate abilities that both trigger off the same effect and happen independently of each other. You hit an enemy and assuming you meet all other conditions, you apply sneak attack and precise strike damage.

1 to 50 of 75 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Pathfinder / Pathfinder First Edition / Rules Questions / Sneak Attack from Multiclassing stacking All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.