Best way to deal with a Spawn Of Rovagug?


Pathfinder First Edition General Discussion


I would say Trap The Soul even though it would be really expensive as if they accept the gem willingly they get no save, and considering they only have 5 int at the most it should be pretty easy to trick them. Plus it's permanent unless the gem is broken so you can just hide it in your demiplane or whatever.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Considering 99% of the spawn are just very big monsters, standard protocol of stabbing them in the shins till they stop moving works fine. If you happen to be against the 1% (Read: Tarrasque) stabbing it till it stops moving and throwing the regenerating carcass into the bottom of the ocean/positive/negative energy plane/similiar inhospitable location works fine.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Is the WotR party around? I figure they should be able to drop about 1 spawn/round.


Tarik Blackhands wrote:
Considering 99% of the spawn are just very big monsters, standard protocol of stabbing them in the shins till they stop moving works fine. If you happen to be against the 1% (Read: Tarrasque) stabbing it till it stops moving and throwing the regenerating carcass into the bottom of the ocean/positive/negative energy plane/similiar inhospitable location works fine.

actually all of them have the super regeneration not just the tarrasque. So ya in order to beat them you have to imprison/banish etc them.


Yqatuba wrote:
Tarik Blackhands wrote:
Considering 99% of the spawn are just very big monsters, standard protocol of stabbing them in the shins till they stop moving works fine. If you happen to be against the 1% (Read: Tarrasque) stabbing it till it stops moving and throwing the regenerating carcass into the bottom of the ocean/positive/negative energy plane/similiar inhospitable location works fine.
actually all of them have the super regeneration not just the tarrasque. So ya in order to beat them you have to imprison/banish etc them.

Or just use a death effect. So fine, minor extra step of getting the local wizard to Power Word Kill the not-Tarrasque (or other death effect of choice).


If you have the time and means to go back to town between hearing about the spawn and meeting it, then trap the soul seems decent. Otherwise Troll Protocol is that you stab until it stops being a problem then try and repurpose something to finish it. Plane shift is the most likely means for a party to just have on hand, tho' evil PCs might have death knell or similar just lying around.


Tarik Blackhands wrote:
Yqatuba wrote:
Tarik Blackhands wrote:
Considering 99% of the spawn are just very big monsters, standard protocol of stabbing them in the shins till they stop moving works fine. If you happen to be against the 1% (Read: Tarrasque) stabbing it till it stops moving and throwing the regenerating carcass into the bottom of the ocean/positive/negative energy plane/similiar inhospitable location works fine.
actually all of them have the super regeneration not just the tarrasque. So ya in order to beat them you have to imprison/banish etc them.
Or just use a death effect. So fine, minor extra step of getting the local wizard to Power Word Kill the not-Tarrasque (or other death effect of choice).
SRD wrote:


Regeneration (Ex) All godspawn possess regeneration, and no form of attack can suppress this regeneration; they regenerate even if disintegrated or slain by a death effect. If a godspawn fails a save against an effect that would kill it instantly, it rises from death 3 rounds later with 1 hit point if no further damage is dealt to its remains. It can be banished or otherwise transported as a means to save a region, but a method to kill godspawn has yet to be discovered.

So even if you use power word kill it only stays dead for 3 rounds, though I guess you could make a construct and program it to keep hitting it's "corpse" to keep it dead.


That reminds me of a scheme to keep Elminster down, Ed Greenwoods' favourite character and more or less the narrator of the Forgotten Realms. The end involved a portable hole and a skeleton with a sap hitting the annoying mage...forever.


Curse of Nonviolence grand hex? Wouldn't kill it, but it might keep it from being dangerous.

Drowning? Most of them seem to need to breathe from what I can tell.

Create Demiplane? After you beat is unconscious, it counts as a "willing" target. You could Plane Shift it to a tiny permanent demiplane of your own creation and forget about it. Alternately, you could Plane Shift it to the Elemental Plane of Water and leave it to drown.


Stranding them on a dead magic permanent demiplane is my prefered method.
1: Make permanent demiplane
2: Make a non-permanent demiplane
3: Case Create Demiplane on the permanent plane to the non-permanent plane
4: Kick the spawn into unconciousness
5: Planeshift to the permanent demiplane
6: Set up a way to keep the spawn KOed for 6 hours (keep it underwater, keep hitting it, whatever)
7: Cast Create Demiplane on the permanent plane to make it have dead magic trait.
8: Enter the portal to the non-permanent demiplane
9: Destroy the non-permanent plane or (if you're sure the spawn will be KOed long enough) just let the duration run out while you're on the prime material.

Now big T or whatever unkillable monster is stuck on a plane that can't be accessed from the outside, can't be destroyed short of "limited wish, mage’s disjunction, miracle, or wish" while on it, and can't have limited wish, mage’s disjunction, miracle, or wish cast while on it. Nothing short of direct intervention by a deity (read: GM Fiat) can free it.

Dark Archive

2 people marked this as a favorite.

Leave a trail of sammiches to someone / somewhere you really don't like anyway, and make the Spawn 'somebody else's problem.'

"Uh, Razmir? Your worshipfullness? The Tarrasque is at the gate..."

RPG Superstar 2008 Top 32

1) Become Punpun

2) Use that one Sakkruh ability you have to remove godspawn's regeneration ability

3) Replace it with

Aaaaargh! My Spleen! (Ex:) Every time the godspawn hears anyone say the word "the," "and," "or" and "gold" in any language, it immediately takes 20D6 damage as a like number of gold pieces are transmuted from its flesh and fall to the ground.

4) Ready an arbitarily high number of attacks of opportunity to trigger when Rovagug finally escapes and one extra action to point and laugh.


Teleport away


A Trap the Soul gem attached to a pig, covered in barbecue sauce.

If that fails, swap the pig with the Paladin, and double the sauce.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Once it's dead, Teleport Object it into the sun before it can regenerate. Now all you've gotta do is raise your caster level high enough to encompass the entire body...


1 person marked this as a favorite.
TheGreatWot wrote:
Once it's dead, Teleport Object it into the sun before it can regenerate. Now all you've gotta do is raise your caster level high enough to encompass the entire body...

Bonus points due to the Sun being tied Sarenrae, enemy of Rovagug and having herself used this method, having cast Rovagug at the centre of the world^^

Dark Archive

Somehow get it into a black hole

It won't die, but it takes forever until it pops up in negative energy plane :p


JDLPF wrote:

A Trap the Soul gem attached to a pig, covered in barbecue sauce.

If that fails, swap the pig with the Paladin, and double the sauce.

I was actually thinking something along those lines. I assume it swallowing the gem would count as "accepting" it.


You can just cast temporal stasis on the corps.


Chromantic Durgon <3 wrote:
You can just cast temporal stasis on the corps.

That would work. However, you can dispel temporal stasis like a normal spell so if he's just frozen in time in the middle of a city so high level follower of Rovagug might just dispel it. Maybe lure it to some remote cave somewhere first.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

EXTERMINATUS!

It's the only way to be sure.

Grand Lodge

3 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Starfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
TheGreatWot wrote:

EXTERMINATUS!

It's the only way to be sure.

So that's why Golarion is missing in Starfinder times.


Harrow Deck of Many Things.

Beat the Spawn so many times in an immediate row (which will probably take at least an entire day, if not more) that after getting knocked unconscious and waking up so many times, the Spawn itself decides to stop attacking you. If it runs, you have to have a means of keeping up with it.

You need to speak the same language it knows, and have a way of getting it to be able to announce that it wants to draw cards from the deck. Intimidate it into doing so.

The Waxworks wrote:
Upon drawing this card, 1d6 exact duplicates of the character appear within a 20-mile radius. These duplicates have the alignment opposite to that of the original character and oppose his goals.

Hope it draws that and gets at least 2 duplicates.

Now intimidate it to make as much noise as possible, so as to attract the duplicates. Since the duplicates are opposed to the original, they will fight. If there is only one you need to help it knock the original unconscious.

Once it is unconcious, the duplicates will keep attacking it for eternity, thus getting it farther and farther into the negatives. They can even sustain their food/drink needs by consuming parts of the original.

Problem solved, at least until someone casts Mythic Spawn Calling, and targets that specific Spawn, but even then, it still has to heal all the damage it has taken. Even if spellcasters are healing it, it could easily be in the negative millions in hp, so nothing will be happening any time soon after MSC is cast.

Dark Archive

Seems like a mirror of opposition would do the latter more quickly and easily, assuming such items exist (or can be made) in Pathfinder.

Still, I like the trail of sammiches plan.

Where does the trail lead?

A) portal to a created demiplane.
B) gate to the surface of Azathoth.
C) gate to the negative energy plane.
D) big pile of spheres of annhilation.
E) Razmiran's bedroom.

Then again, after the attitude presented at the end of Kingmaker, I'd be tempted to gate the Tarrasque to the First World, and let them see how much they like having stuff from another dimension randomly pop into theirs... :)


They almost all have terrible sense motive, so just bluff it into going away.


Has anyone suggested Mythic Vital Strike yet?


Yqatuba wrote:

{. . .}

So even if you use power word kill it only stays dead for 3 rounds, though I guess you could make a construct and program it to keep hitting it's "corpse" to keep it dead.

AND

avr wrote:
That reminds me of a scheme to keep Elminster down, Ed Greenwoods' favourite character and more or less the narrator of the Forgotten Realms. The end involved a portable hole and a skeleton with a sap hitting the annoying mage...forever.

Now I've got this vision of whatever minion you put there somehow falling over, and the Spawn starts to go critical, and you'll have to shut it down manually anyway . . . .


Beat down into negative HP, use wish to reanimate as a zombie.


I think the easiest solution is to beat it down and then set up a 24/7 mining operation to extract anything valuable from the still living flesh.

Or if you squeamish, or chaotic good, or neutral good, or even have good tendencies you might just want to dump the unconscious body on the positive energy plane. The positive energy plane is even more hostile than the negative energy plane. Things live on the negative energy plane, nothing but positive elementals exist on the positive.

But seriously, think of the burger stand you could have. Tarskburger where they never skimp on the meat.

Liberty's Edge

Pathfinder Adventure, Adventure Path, Card Game, Pawns, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Maps, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber
Meirril wrote:

I think the easiest solution is to beat it down and then set up a 24/7 mining operation to extract anything valuable from the still living flesh.

But seriously, think of the burger stand you could have. Tarskburger where they never skimp on the meat.

There's a whole third party campaign setting devoted to this exact premise, called Salt in the Wounds or something similar.


Meirril wrote:

I think the easiest solution is to beat it down and then set up a 24/7 mining operation to extract anything valuable from the still living flesh.

Or if you squeamish, or chaotic good, or neutral good, or even have good tendencies you might just want to dump the unconscious body on the positive energy plane. The positive energy plane is even more hostile than the negative energy plane. Things live on the negative energy plane, nothing but positive elementals exist on the positive.

But seriously, think of the burger stand you could have. Tarskburger where they never skimp on the meat.

You sure you want to eat that? It might mutate to become parasitic.


Yeah, eating eldritch abominations is the kind of thing that's guaranteed to go wrong.


Or the burgers would still have DR 15/epic.

Or be viable points for it regenerate from, resulting in one of your customers suddenly exploding into a tarrasque while the original body goes inert.

They are the children of a god of chaos & destruction, after all. No reason for them for just kindly sit put in the body that's contained.


Zhangar wrote:
Or be viable points for it regenerate from, resulting in one of your customers suddenly exploding into a tarrasque while the original body goes inert.

Nah, as long as you wait an hour between chopping the chunk out of the Spawn and serving it to the customer it'll be truly dead.

Regenerating creatures can regrow lost portions of their bodies and can reattach severed limbs or body parts if they are brought together within 1 hour of severing. Severed parts that are not reattached wither and die normally.

If in doubt, poke chunk with pointy stick.

Community / Forums / Pathfinder / Pathfinder First Edition / General Discussion / Best way to deal with a Spawn Of Rovagug? All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.