How much has been written about the internal politics of Lastwall (possible spoilers inside)


Tyrant's Grasp


2 people marked this as a favorite.

One of my PCs will be a Lastwall crusader by trade. But at first level, he's obviously not going to be a "knight" unless knight is the catch-all term for soldiers. I can see from other sources that there are already some positions which have titles The ruler is the Watcher-Lord, individual garrison commanders are called "Captains". The latter almost suggests a military ranking system to officials (which I would expect).

I'd suggest that the rank-and-file (the G.Is) would be called 'Crusaders'. And above them would be sergeants and lieutenants, etc up to Captains who command forts or middle-sized units. then a couple of names (Colonels, commanders?) up to the rank of General. Then above General would be the Precentors and then the Watcher Lord.

Does anyone have a better org structure for this?


Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
Zi Mishkal wrote:


I'd suggest that the rank-and-file (the G.Is) would be called 'Crusaders'. And above them would be sergeants and lieutenants, etc up to Captains who command forts or middle-sized units. then a couple of names (Colonels, commanders?) up to the rank of General. Then above General would be the Precentors and then the Watcher Lord.

Does anyone have a better org structure for this?

I think you're on the right track as it pertains to using a military-type structure. I know it isn't specifically all Lastwall crusaders, but the write up on Iomedae on page 77 of Inner Sea Gods goes into depth about the church structure, Sword Knights, and their rank and file. I plan on adapting those ranks to suit their heirarchy.

Could be a useful resource. Hope it helps!

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Pathfinder Accessories, Pawns, Starfinder Society Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber

It's been awhile since I read it, but there may be something in Knights of the Inner Sea

Scarab Sages

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Rulebook Subscriber

Also, the primary crusader force is the Knights of Ozem, an order dedicated to continuing the Shining Crusade against TB. They aren't specifically any religious sect (Aroden and Aranzi followers originally), but they are probably the most powerful in the local scheme of things.

Really though, it will fit better (a bit less internal conflict for the PC) with book 4 is the PC is a member of one of the religious orders or generic orders rather than Ozem.


archmagi1 wrote:
Really though, it will fit better (a bit less internal conflict for the PC) with book 4 is the PC is a member of one of the religious orders or generic orders rather than Ozem.

Oh, we like internal conflict! ;)

The PC in question is going to be from a family of bureaucrats who have been serving the country for generations. So he'll be approaching it from an apolitcal pov.

As for the Knights of Ozem, I admit the lines of communication are quite blurred here. Some sources basically consider the whole organizational structure as one monolith while in other places it looks like several factions have come together to work as per agreement. I've been leaning a bit more towards the former in that while there may have been independent organizations which came together to form Lastwall, they have been working together for so long they are defacto one organization.


Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

Also worth looking at Cities of Golarion. There is a nine page write-up on Vigil that may give some more insight on what you're looking for.

I'm planning on giving any order of knights that my PCs encounter during the adventure to have different goals and ambitions based on their own faiths(difference between Gorum or Iomedae knights, etc.)or experiences. It seems as though the Knights of Ozem are mostly united in their ongoing quest to prevent TB's escape, but who knows that type of power struggles exist in their own ranks?

Scarab Sages

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Rulebook Subscriber
Twisted_Fister wrote:

Also worth looking at Cities of Golarion. There is a nine page write-up on Vigil that may give some more insight on what you're looking for.

I'm planning on giving any order of knights that my PCs encounter during the adventure to have different goals and ambitions based on their own faiths(difference between Gorum or Iomedae knights, etc.)or experiences. It seems as though the Knights of Ozem are mostly united in their ongoing quest to prevent TB's escape, but who knows that type of power struggles exist in their own ranks?

There is mention of discontent among them about all the time and effort spent on Belkzen instead of Virlych.


Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber; Pathfinder Maps, Pathfinder Accessories, Starfinder Accessories, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Maps, Starfinder Society Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber

I don’t know how wide you want to cast your net, but one of the pathfinder tales novels is set in Lastwall:

Liar’s Bargain

It’s about characters from elsewhere (so Lastwall information is peripheral, really) but there is interaction with the power structures there. That’s actually the third book featuring those protagonists. The others aren’t strictly prequels, but I think you’d enjoy the third more if you’d read them first:

Liar’s Blade

Liar’s Island

I realise that’s a lot of reading for pretty scant information, but the books are a fun read, irrespective.

Community / Forums / Pathfinder / Pathfinder Adventure Path / Tyrant's Grasp / How much has been written about the internal politics of Lastwall (possible spoilers inside) All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.