Goz Mask and magical fog


Rules Questions


Does the Goz Mask from Inner Sea World Guide/Adventurer's Guide allow a character to see through magical fog created by spells like Obscuring Mist?


Goz Mask wrote:
A goz mask allows the wearer to see through fog, smoke, and other obscuring vapors as if they did not exist.

It doesn't say "non-magical fog," so yes, it will see through magical fog too.


combine with saltspray ring for cheap 'fogy and see'.


Fuzzy-Wuzzy wrote:
Goz Mask wrote:
A goz mask allows the wearer to see through fog, smoke, and other obscuring vapors as if they did not exist.
It doesn't say "non-magical fog," so yes, it will see through magical fog too.

I just was confused because the good old Fogcutting Lenses are the same price, give a penalty on Perception and specifically state the ability to see through magical fog.


zza ni wrote:
combine with saltspray ring for cheap 'fogy and see'.

That combination is exactly what I was aiming for when I thought about getting my hands on that mask. Since the Goz Mask is a pretty specific item I had to weave it into my background story to somehow explain how I get it (the character essentially found it on his journeys across the world and had to sell it to a friend of his in exchange for money because he was broke, promising to come back and buy it back from him. The friend is an orcish hatter in Caliph as who is called Gro-Burz)


many items of this kind were made by the so called "Storm Kindlers ' years ago and 'Today, many of these distinctive masks remain, now worn by humanoid chieftains and Koboto witch doctors.'
i find this enough to explain not only how one can come about at any remote marketplace but also how one with enough research can craft it by himself.
it's not like they added "and it's creation is a top secret kept only by a cult' or something.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Dairfaron wrote:
Fuzzy-Wuzzy wrote:
Goz Mask wrote:
A goz mask allows the wearer to see through fog, smoke, and other obscuring vapors as if they did not exist.
It doesn't say "non-magical fog," so yes, it will see through magical fog too.
I just was confused because the good old Fogcutting Lenses are the same price, give a penalty on Perception and specifically state the ability to see through magical fog.

Yeah, sadly Paizo's writing tends to have inconsistent style like that; some writers will specify things like "both magical and non-magical" explicitly, some will leave it implicit. And more sadly the pricing isn't terribly consistent either. I also note Fogcutting Lenses take the "face" slot... which doesn't exist. Oops.


zza ni wrote:
combine with saltspray ring for cheap 'fogy and see'.

While the Saltspray Ring unfortunately isn't PFS legal (which somehow matters to my home game GM) I think Horn of Fog may be a cheaper, PFS-legal and slightly less convenient alternative.Takes the same time to activate as the ring and places a 10ft square of fog in front of you that lasts for 3 Minutes. Apart from being loud AF, it sounds good to me.


Fuzzy-Wuzzy wrote:
Dairfaron wrote:
Fuzzy-Wuzzy wrote:
Goz Mask wrote:
A goz mask allows the wearer to see through fog, smoke, and other obscuring vapors as if they did not exist.
It doesn't say "non-magical fog," so yes, it will see through magical fog too.
I just was confused because the good old Fogcutting Lenses are the same price, give a penalty on Perception and specifically state the ability to see through magical fog.
Yeah, sadly Paizo's writing tends to have inconsistent style like that; some writers will specify things like "both magical and non-magical" explicitly, some will leave it implicit. And more sadly the pricing isn't terribly consistent either. I also note Fogcutting Lenses take the "face" slot... which doesn't exist. Oops.

The Goz Mask occupies the head slot, a far more valuable location than the eye slot occupied by Fogcutting Lenses.


Volkard Abendroth wrote:
The Goz Mask occupies the head slot, a far more valuable location than the eye slot occupied by Fogcutting Lenses.

I don't know...I feel like there is not that much awesome stuff for the head slot either. Sure, there are some gimmicks, but IMHO nothing that might be strategically essential.

Feel free to prove me wrong, though.


Volkard Abendroth wrote:
Fuzzy-Wuzzy wrote:
Dairfaron wrote:
Fuzzy-Wuzzy wrote:
Goz Mask wrote:
A goz mask allows the wearer to see through fog, smoke, and other obscuring vapors as if they did not exist.
It doesn't say "non-magical fog," so yes, it will see through magical fog too.
I just was confused because the good old Fogcutting Lenses are the same price, give a penalty on Perception and specifically state the ability to see through magical fog.
Yeah, sadly Paizo's writing tends to have inconsistent style like that; some writers will specify things like "both magical and non-magical" explicitly, some will leave it implicit. And more sadly the pricing isn't terribly consistent either. I also note Fogcutting Lenses take the "face" slot... which doesn't exist. Oops.
The Goz Mask occupies the head slot, a far more valuable location than the eye slot occupied by Fogcutting Lenses.

Do you have a cite showing Fogcutting Lenses as being in the eye slot? Both d20pfsrd and AoN list them as "face" slot, which, again, does not exist, but sounds to me much more like head rather than eyes.

More importantly, if we stipulate that the Lenses are in a less valuable slot than the Mask, that should move the former's price downwards, which is the same direction their Perception penalty should move it, so the fact that they have the same price is again down to inconsistency on Paizo's part. The Lenses would have to be in a more valuable slot in order to explain the price equality.


AFAIK, very other worn lens/goggle-type item that doesn't describe itself as a full head covering occupies the eye slot, so that's the natural thing to expect when confronted with the "Slot: face" typo on an item described as goggles. For additional support, there's this:

Magic Items on the Body wrote:

Armor: suits of armor.

Belts: belts and girdles.
Body: robes and vestments.
Chest: mantles, shirts, and vests.
Eyes: eyes, glasses, and goggles.
Feet: boots, shoes, and slippers.
Hands: gauntlets and gloves.
Head: circlets, crowns, hats, helms, and masks.
Headband: headbands and phylacteries.
Neck: amulets, brooches, medallions, necklaces, periapts, and scarabs.
Ring (up to two): rings.
Shield: shields.
Shoulders: capes and cloaks.
Wrist: bracelets and bracers.

Community / Forums / Pathfinder / Pathfinder RPG / Rules Questions / Goz Mask and magical fog All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.