Full base attack buffer.


Advice


What are some full base attack, buffing classes or archetypes? When I say buffs I mean like the bard's Inspire Courage. I'm not really looking for spells, but I want to weigh my options.

Here's one from the Guide class, Terrain Bond can give the party a +2 bonus on initiative checks and Perception, Stealth, and Survival skill checks.

Please Paizo books only.

Thanks for your help!


Rangers with the Freebooter Archetype Buff their Allies with an Ability called Freebooter's Bane, which replaces Favored Enemy.

I seem to recall Barbarians have ways of enraging their allies. I know there is a Teamwork Feat called Amplified Rage.

Cavaliers and Warpriests and Paladins with particular Archetypes can gift their Allies with Teamwork Feats through an Ability called Tactician.

There are Rogue Talents that make opponents Flatfooted for Allies.


Exemplar brawlers are good. Guided blade swashbucklers suck but they are full BAB and can buff. Avenger vigilantes probably have some vigilante talent which can provide a buff, and if not the psychometrist archetype gives an occultist's implements which definitely have some such options. Come to think of it an actual occultist can get the trappings of the warrior panoply and have effective full BAB.

Paladins have auras as part of the base class.

Grand Lodge

I’d probably go holy guide+Oath if the Peoples Council paladin. Holy Guide gives you the ability to share teamwork feats while Oath of the Peoples Council gains bardic performance


By far the freebooter ranger shines as full bab buff like a bard. Stacks too.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Syries wrote:
I’d probably go holy guide+Oath if the Peoples Council paladin. Holy Guide gives you the ability to share teamwork feats while Oath of the Peoples Council gains bardic performance

While they seem to stack, a Holy Guide uses Smite to power their teamwork-feat-sharing, and an OotPC replaces smite. While your GM might allow it, I'm pretty sure they're incompatible (although it's one of the less clear examples). Even if they are compatible they don't function together.

Having said all that, the Oath of the People's Council Paladin (and to a lesser extent the Martyr) seems to fit exactly what the OP was asking for.


Cavalier, maybe order of the dragon?

Grand Lodge

MrCharisma wrote:
Syries wrote:
I’d probably go holy guide+Oath if the Peoples Council paladin. Holy Guide gives you the ability to share teamwork feats while Oath of the Peoples Council gains bardic performance

While they seem to stack, a Holy Guide uses Smite to power their teamwork-feat-sharing, and an OotPC replaces smite. While your GM might allow it, I'm pretty sure they're incompatible (although it's one of the less clear examples). Even if they are compatible they don't function together.

Having said all that, the Oath of the People's Council Paladin (and to a lesser extent the Martyr) seems to fit exactly what the OP was asking for.

dang I forgot about that


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Syries wrote:
dang I forgot about that

All good, I only worked it out because I got excited by that combo you came up with. Would have been awesome.


Talking about bards, anyone can take the Bard VMC, though they don't get inspire courage until level 7.

Other than that, a paladin's auras can provide some pretty good resistances to allies, cavaliers get teamwork feats and the banner feature, and the battle cry feat gives a small morale bonus to attack and a save bonus vs fear or a save to break an ongoing fear effect.

I'd definitely consider a freebooter ranger, but I'm a fan of the ranger chassis in general: you get a good number of skills as well as bonus feats with early access to some very nice ones, as well as a smattering of spells later on. It was FAQ'd that quarry works with the target of Freebooter's Bane as well (presumably, so does Master Hunter, if your campaign reaches level 20).


The Shaman wrote:
I'd definitely consider a freebooter ranger, but I'm a fan of the ranger chassis in general: you get a good number of skills as well as bonus feats with early access to some very nice ones, as well as a smattering of spells later on. It was FAQ'd that quarry works with the target of Freebooter's Bane as well (presumably, so does Master Hunter, if your campaign reaches level 20).

I've never been a huge fan of the Ranger (I loove Paladins), but I actually really like the Freebooter. It basically replaces all the things I don't like about the ranger with things I do like.

I never really thought about VMC bard, but that could be a great idea.

If you can afford to lose 1 point of BAB I like the idea of making an Oradin based on an Oath-of-the-People's-Council Paladin. Bardic performance, Paladin auras and Life-link all in the one invincible package - the ultimate buffing machine.


Hmm. I wonder if trading spellcasting for full BAB would be a balanced trade for a bard. It probably breaks something.

Paizo Employee

blahpers wrote:
Hmm. I wonder if trading spellcasting for full BAB would be a balanced trade for a bard. It probably breaks something.

Mostly the bard, in that 5 points of BAB is not equivalent to 6 levels of spells (and broken as in "doesn't meet class performance expectations" not "is overpowered"). But if you made that swap and gave them like a bonus feat whenever they would gain a new level of spells it would be functional and pretty playable. The bard's spellcasting is fairly silo'd from its other class features, so it wouldn't be like trying to do the same thing with a wizard whose bonus feats are all based around the expectation that he can cast spells.


Given that paladins rangers and bloodrager can be full bab and be 4th casters... full loss of spells is a but much. Then again there are other trade offs. Skills and such.

Myself, I trade away casting on rangers for trapper, which stacks with freebooter. Sneak in, lay down traps, pick a target and annihilate. It's a real change up in the traditional ranger.


Ssalarn wrote:
blahpers wrote:
Hmm. I wonder if trading spellcasting for full BAB would be a balanced trade for a bard. It probably breaks something.
Mostly the bard, in that 5 points of BAB is not equivalent to 6 levels of spells.

I agree, full BAB isn't worth as much as 6th level spells, wo you'd have to give them something in return.

Maybe drop 6th level spells down to 4th level spells with the Paladin/Ranger spells/day?


It's almost impossible to remove the casting from a 6/9 caster without it being a huge downgrade. Well, without the result outclassing every other martial, that is. The problem with such a trade is that you may gain power, but there is not way not to lose a huge amount of versatility.

Adding in more spell-like performances (maybe a free masterpiece every 2-3 levels?) would help. Better weapon proficiency is probably a given, that character desperately wants a reach weapon; medium armor as well (so just use the Skald's proficiencies, I guess).


MrCharisma wrote:
Ssalarn wrote:
blahpers wrote:
Hmm. I wonder if trading spellcasting for full BAB would be a balanced trade for a bard. It probably breaks something.
Mostly the bard, in that 5 points of BAB is not equivalent to 6 levels of spells.

I agree, full BAB isn't worth as much as 6th level spells, wo you'd have to give them something in return.

Maybe drop 6th level spells down to 4th level spells with the Paladin/Ranger spells/day?

Eh, the idea was a spell-free bard, so something will have to sweeten the deal. I was more curious if there was some weird way in which some bard ability wouldn't be balanced with full BAB, but since most bard abilities already buff allies (including those with full BAB) it's probably not a problem.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
blahpers wrote:
MrCharisma wrote:
Ssalarn wrote:
blahpers wrote:
Hmm. I wonder if trading spellcasting for full BAB would be a balanced trade for a bard. It probably breaks something.
Mostly the bard, in that 5 points of BAB is not equivalent to 6 levels of spells.

I agree, full BAB isn't worth as much as 6th level spells, wo you'd have to give them something in return.

Maybe drop 6th level spells down to 4th level spells with the Paladin/Ranger spells/day?

Eh, the idea was a spell-free bard, so something will have to sweeten the deal. I was more curious if there was some weird way in which some bard ability wouldn't be balanced with full BAB, but since most bard abilities already buff allies (including those with full BAB) it's probably not a problem.

Do FREEBARD!!!


The examplar brawler archetype has already been mentioned, but to expand upon it further, multiclass into cavalier so that you can qualify to be a [/url=https://www.aonprd.com/PrestigeClassesDisplay.aspx?ItemName=Battle%20Herald]battle herald[/url].


Ventnor wrote:
The examplar brawler archetype has already been mentioned, but to expand upon it further, multiclass into cavalier so that you can qualify to be a battle herald.

Link fixed


6 people marked this as a favorite.
Scott Wilhelm wrote:
Do FREEBARD!!!

­

If I lost spells tomorrow
Would you still recognize me?
I have full BAB now
And I hit very hard now, can't you see
If I had kept any spells, girl
Things just would be all the same
But this bard is spell-free now
And this class you now can't change
Oh, oh, oh, oh, oh
And this class you now can't change
And this class you now can't change
MrCharisma can't change it

Bye, bye, spells, it's been a sweet love
Though this features I have changed
But please don't take it so badly
Cause Lord knows blahpers's to blame
But if I kept any spells, girl
Things just would be all the same
But I have full BAB now
And this class you now can't change
Oh, oh, oh, oh, oh
And this class you now can't change
And this class you now can't change
MrCharisma can't change it
Class's set not, it can't change
The class now can't change
Cause I hit hard, spell-free bard, yeah

*epic solo*


Derklord wrote:
Scott Wilhelm wrote:
Do FREEBARD!!!

­

If I lost spells tomorrow
Would you still recognize me?
I have full BAB now
And I hit very hard now, can't you see
If I had kept any spells, girl
Things just would be all the same
But this bard is spell-free now
And this class you now can't change
Oh, oh, oh, oh, oh
And this class you now can't change
And this class you now can't change
MrCharisma can't change it

Bye, bye, spells, it's been a sweet love
Though this features I have changed
But please don't take it so badly
Cause Lord knows blahpers's to blame
But if I kept any spells, girl
Things just would be all the same
But I have full BAB now
And this class you now can't change
Oh, oh, oh, oh, oh
And this class you now can't change
And this class you now can't change
MrCharisma can't change it
Class's set not, it can't change
The class now can't change
Cause I hit hard, spell-free bard, yeah

*epic solo*

HMFSROFLMMFAO

Community / Forums / Pathfinder / Pathfinder RPG / Advice / Full base attack buffer. All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.