Did you ever like the looks of a movie but hated the story?


Off-Topic Discussions


What of those movies that have so much going on artistically, but falls short in the story department or the acting was just over the top?

I loved "Hellboy" it had a unique vision, good story, and the acting was spot on. "Hellboy II The Golden Army" is a beautiful movie from top to bottom an eyecatching film, acting was passable, but it was short on story.

"Dune" was stunning artistically and the story was pure Frank Herbert. The acting was unredeemable even Patrick Stewart did not give a good performance.


3 people marked this as a favorite.

I couldn't stand "Dune". Whispering, when it's amplified enough to be heard on a movie or television show, is like nails on a blackboard to me. All the whispering in that movie caused me to walk out of it in the theater.

The latest two Star Wars films were gorgeous, but I was so very, VERY disappointed in the stories.

Shadow Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.

I'm 100% with Cal on whispering. I've never seen Dune but knowing now that it's got a lot of whispering in it I'm glad I missed out on it, that would be torture for me.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

Everything by Zack Snyder.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

Avatar.

Wonderful effects, beautiful scenery, story wasn't particularly good, and the technology levels were inconsistent (ability for deep interstellar space with hibernation pods, ability to transfer consciousness, but still using current era weapons and quadcopters as an attack force).

And we're going to get 4 more of that.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Vanykrye wrote:

Avatar.

Wonderful effects, beautiful scenery, story wasn't particularly good, and the technology levels were inconsistent (ability for deep interstellar space with hibernation pods, ability to transfer consciousness, but still using current era weapons and quadcopters as an attack force).

And we're going to get 4 more of that.

they did the same thing with Aliens and I love that movie to death.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Jurassic World. Effects were fantastic. Characters were morons.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Scintillae wrote:
Jurassic World. Effects were fantastic. Characters were morons.

I genuinely want you in the room whenever someone seriously uses the statement "I know! I'll clone dinosaurs to make an amusement park. What could possibly go wrong?!"


6 people marked this as a favorite.

Oh, it's not even that.

"Hey, these dinosaurs will attack me the second I turn my back."
"Let us use them for military purposes!"
time passes
"I can't believe they turned on us!"

"Oh, crap, the super-scary predator got out. We should shut down the park per our common sense safety procedures."
"No. Let's see what happens."
later
"How could this happen?"


Freehold DM wrote:
Vanykrye wrote:

Avatar.

Wonderful effects, beautiful scenery, story wasn't particularly good, and the technology levels were inconsistent (ability for deep interstellar space with hibernation pods, ability to transfer consciousness, but still using current era weapons and quadcopters as an attack force).

And we're going to get 4 more of that.

they did the same thing with Aliens and I love that movie to death.

Yes, but they executed the derivative story in Alien/Aliens far better. That movie was genuinely *good* regardless of the fact that it's, at it's heart, just another monster movie. Also, it was released at a time where if they had energy weapons, they'd have been accused of being too much like Star Wars. People forget the original Alien movie came out only a year before Empire Strikes Back.


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Lost Omens, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber

"Did you ever like the looks of a movie but hated the story?"

All the friggin' time.

Hell, I'll go one better- there are movies I will cop to LIKING where the story is crap, just because everything else worked for me (Looking at you, Prometheus). These are rare, but they happen.

But these days? Movies LOOKING good is relatively easy to pull off, it seems. Most often, though, I find myself looking at some spectacle or another and going, "mannnnnnnn."

Also hate watching good actors wasted in bad scripts.

(I also challenge the OP's statement that Lynch's Dune had a story that was "pure Frank Herbert"- hoooooooo. They chopped and lowered it... and then ADDED crap about sonic weapons and just... nah. The HEART of the story is actually missing from that, even if the rough plot more or less lines up. As a proud Duneatic, the only good thing I have to say about that movie was that it had an artistic vision behind it.)


if you are talking about the French films by Jean Giraud and Alejandro Jodorowsky. I'm not sure that "The Fifth Element" was one of theirs but it sure looked like one. I can't think of the name of the movie. Got it, it was "Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets." It was visually fabulous, but it sucked butternuts. They both had that Moebius/Heavy Metal vibe going on, Lynch's "Dune" fits in here too.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Society Subscriber

Two words: Jupiter. Ascending.

As a Starfinder GM, I desperately hoped it would have an art book for me to use for campaign visualization.

As a movie goer, I hoped that damned thing is burned in effigy.


Cole Deschain wrote:

"Did you ever like the looks of a movie but hated the story?"

All the friggin' time.

Hell, I'll go one better- there are movies I will cop to LIKING where the story is crap, just because everything else worked for me (Looking at you, Prometheus). These are rare, but they happen.

But these days? Movies LOOKING good is relatively easy to pull off, it seems. Most often, though, I find myself looking at some spectacle or another and going, "mannnnnnnn."

Also hate watching good actors wasted in bad scripts.

(I also challenge the OP's statement that Lynch's Dune had a story that was "pure Frank Herbert"- hoooooooo. They chopped and lowered it... and then ADDED crap about sonic weapons and just... nah. The HEART of the story is actually missing from that, even if the rough plot more or less lines up. As a proud Duneatic, the only good thing I have to say about that movie was that it had an artistic vision behind it.)

Absolutely agreed on the Dune movie.

Dark Archive

thecursor wrote:

Two words: Jupiter. Ascending.

As a Starfinder GM, I desperately hoped it would have an art book for me to use for campaign visualization.

As a movie goer, I hoped that damned thing is burned in effigy.

Yeah, I love how visually luscious it was (particularly the ships), but gosh, it was just bad. The dude who played the villain chewed so much scenery, whispering and hissing and shouting for no darn reason, ugh.

But there are lots of visual spectacle movies where the acting and the plot don't suck donkey nuts (as much) I could be watching instead, like John Carter or The Fifth Element.

I was surprised, many years after seeing the movie and hearing how horrible an adaptation it was, reading the Dune novel, how many lines and scenes were directly word-for-word from the novel. Yeah, the sonic weapons were crap the film added, but it's otherwise pretty shockingly faithful to the novel. (On the other hand, I also realized that 90% of the stuff I really liked in the movie was straight from the book, so that didn't reflect well on the movie's director...)


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Set wrote:


I was surprised, many years after seeing the movie and hearing how horrible an adaptation it was, reading the Dune novel, how many lines and scenes were directly word-for-word from the novel. Yeah, the sonic weapons were crap the film added, but it's otherwise pretty shockingly faithful to the novel. (On the other hand, I also realized that 90% of the stuff I really liked in the movie was straight from the book, so that didn't reflect well on the movie's director...)

It was one of those where they lifted a bunch of lines and scenes directly, but changed the context and plot sufficiently that the effect was incredibly different.


The last jedi. It was almost post modern in its desire to put together cool looking scenes and fire off a pretenses at meaning without any meta narratives getting in the way. Things like character, established physics, story, rationale, sense, cohesion...


"The Last Jedi" was an immense disappointment to me. I didn't hate it like a friend of mine did. He acts like the movie was made as a direct insult to him and swears he'll never watch another Star Wars movie. He's my best friend but I've largely quit speaking to him because we can't have any conversation without him bringing it up. I finally had enough and hung up on him once.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

I'm convinced that the majority of issues people have had with every Star Wars movie that isn't one of the original trilogy are simply due to putting the original trilogy on too high of a pedestal and rose-colored lenses/nostalgia.

There are *a lot* of problems in that original trilogy that people seem to blissfully ignore, including things that should *never* have made it into the theatrical release of the films.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Valerian is another one - outstanding visuals - disappointed by so much of the rest.


Vanykrye wrote:

I'm convinced that the majority of issues people have had with every Star Wars movie that isn't one of the original trilogy are simply due to putting the original trilogy on too high of a pedestal and rose-colored lenses/nostalgia.

There are *a lot* of problems in that original trilogy that people seem to blissfully ignore, including things that should *never* have made it into the theatrical release of the films.

I have used this exact argument on the "new" Star Wars haters. I was 13 when I saw it and I was utterly captivated. Saw it 14 times that summer. For fans around my age nothing is going to capture that feeling the original trilogy evoked. We're older now and that magic seldom captivates us like it once did. It's a sort of sad thing to realize but that's just the way it is for many, many of us. I didn't particularly care for the prequel trilogy and so far the sequel trilogy hasn't really reached me like the original did. But there are other things "Star Wars", such as the Clone Wars series, "Star Wars: Rebels", the Han Solo film and "Rogue One" that I truly enjoyed that keeps some of that magic alive.

Sovereign Court

Marvel movies in general.


"Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull".


1 person marked this as a favorite.
DungeonmasterCal wrote:
"Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull".

Ohh... I forgot this existed... thanks a lot...


1 person marked this as a favorite.

I was once put on the spot to to explain to some people I didn't know very well why I'm not a big fan of the Star Wars movies. I said something to the effect of, "They're movies for kids... that are fawned over by adults." That was harsher than I intended, but I was trying to convey what was said above about how the original trilogy captured a generation when they were young, and everything that's come since has been aimed at that same generation without accounting for the fact that they're not little kids any more.


Orville Redenbacher wrote:
DungeonmasterCal wrote:
"Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull".
Ohh... I forgot this existed... thanks a lot...

Glad I could be of service!


Vanykrye wrote:

Avatar.

Wonderful effects, beautiful scenery, story wasn't particularly good, and the technology levels were inconsistent (ability for deep interstellar space with hibernation pods, ability to transfer consciousness, but still using current era weapons and quadcopters as an attack force).

Not that I'm a huge fan of Avatar (it was fine), but sci-fi movies that still use bullets don't bother me. Lasers don't actually perform significantly better than bullets. It's not a technology that puts a hole in a dude from a distance better than a good-old fashioned projectile does. I can see a society designing tech to do new things that we can't effectively do now (e.g. interstellar space travel and hibernation), but I can also see that same society not advancing a certain tropedeveloping a new technology when it's not driven by a need.

And what's the deal with jet packs, amirite? Why would anyone in the future ever strap themselves to one of those things and then go share the skylanes with flying cars and robotic AI drones?


Dizzydoo42 wrote:
What of those movies that have so much going on artistically, but falls short in the story department or the acting was just over the top?

Are jokes about porn allowed?


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Andostre wrote:


And what's the deal with jet packs, amirite? Why would anyone in the future ever strap themselves to one of those things and then go share the skylanes with flying cars and robotic AI drones?

Motorcycles.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Motorcycle porn?

Shadow Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Andostre wrote:
And what's the deal with jet packs, amirite? Why would anyone in the future ever strap themselves to one of those things and then go share the skylanes with flying cars and robotic AI drones?

It's basically the same thing as skydiving with a parachute, except you can also go up.

Or skiing or riding in any sort of small open vehicle (canoe, raft, etc) except you're not limited to remaining on the ground/snow/water/ice, and instead can take to the sky.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

This thread has me thinking about some of the problems I have with modern blockbuster cinema. Why I disliked the SW prequels and hated Indy and the crystal skull. I'm sure there are a number of reasons, but the most stark among them is lack of immersive story telling.

It's like the modern experience is a more social media one. Everybody has to be in on it. Times when a character talks to themselves "obi wan is going to kill me!" Who the F are they talking to? Why are audience in-jokes given any thought? Just tell a damn story and let me act like a fly on the wall instead of a member of the useless chuckle head gallery.

Films have also moved towards break neck plot speed and total lack of reasonable exposition. The result is tons of logic holes because of ridiculous action sequences that last significant running times. Modern cinema feels more like an amusement park ride than a captivating story experience.

So yeah thats why my answer to the OP is "this happens a lot."

Community / Forums / Gamer Life / Off-Topic Discussions / Did you ever like the looks of a movie but hated the story? All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.