City of Heroes is back?!


Video Games


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Seeing news about private servers running this, still trying to track down the legitimacy of it, so not linking anything at this time. I am tentatively stoked.

Scarab Sages

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Maps, Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Adventure Path Subscriber; Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber; Pathfinder Comics Subscriber

It's legit. I've played quite a bit.

The alleged story is that someone, assumed to be a disgruntled developer, passed the source code for Issue 24 and the character database to someone shortly after shutdown. That person kept it secret and has run a private server for the last 6 years or so, even developing some enhancements in an Issue 25 release with new powersets and an archetype.

The private server players engaged in some heavy-handed tactics to keep it secret. It leaked about a month ago and prompted a huge backlash by the community. The guy behind it got a lot of hate and has released the code. There are now at least 4 groups working on creating a deployable build.

At least two groups are running servers, the Homecoming team and the /coxg/ team. There's some infighting going on, which you can safely ignore and just go play for now. So far, NCSoft has been quiet.

There are two launchers right now. Most seem to be using the Tequila launcher from the SCORE team.

Scarab Sages

Dude's a hero (pardon me, Hero). Perhaps I'm missing something, but it doesn't sound to me like he deserves any 'hate' whatsoever. I assume he did the best he could to save a game that was supposed to have been murdered by Corporate.

Dark Archive

TomParker wrote:

At least two groups are running servers, the Homecoming team and the /coxg/ team. There's some infighting going on, which you can safely ignore and just go play for now. So far, NCSoft has been quiet.

As long as it was under the radar, they could legitimately say they had no idea it was happening with a nod and a wink. Now that it's all blown up and multiple servers are up and running their IP and, most importantly, people keep blabbing about it, I feel like they are going to feel compelled to shut it down to protect their *other* IP from being ripped off shamelessy (using their willingness to turn a blind eye to this situation as legal precedent, since it's incumbent upon them to 'protect' their stuff).

I loved the game, and would love to be part of it again, but it's, IMO, fight club, in that first rule of fight club is...

Who knows. We could get a happy ending and the big company sells the right to use the IP for a dollar to the various entities using it anyway, and then postdates the check and nips any challenges to their other IPs in the bud, but that's not something that usually happens, and a cease-and-desist followed by lawsuit to protect the IP seems far more traditional a response.

I'm a little conflicted on the subject. I loved the game and would love to see it both continue and grow (adding many more powersets and ATs!) for many years. I love superhero stuff in general. But also, theft and piracy are what they are, and whether or not IP law (or company policies or decisions to cancel games) are 'fair' or 'right' or 'just,' they are what they are, and this whole thing is kind of a thinly-veiled rationalization for taking what you want and screw the law. Hardly the stuff of heroes, IMO.

I'm certainly not going to throw stones. I've got my share of books I got used on Amazon for half-price (or less!), essentially cheating the publishers (and authors) out of the money I would have paid for a new copy. But I'm not gonna claim to be a hero, either.


Set wrote:
TomParker wrote:

At least two groups are running servers, the Homecoming team and the /coxg/ team. There's some infighting going on, which you can safely ignore and just go play for now. So far, NCSoft has been quiet.

As long as it was under the radar, they could legitimately say they had no idea it was happening with a nod and a wink. Now that it's all blown up and multiple servers are up and running their IP and, most importantly, people keep blabbing about it, I feel like they are going to feel compelled to shut it down to protect their *other* IP from being ripped off shamelessy (using their willingness to turn a blind eye to this situation as legal precedent, since it's incumbent upon them to 'protect' their stuff).

I loved the game, and would love to be part of it again, but it's, IMO, fight club, in that first rule of fight club is...

Who knows. We could get a happy ending and the big company sells the right to use the IP for a dollar to the various entities using it anyway, and then postdates the check and nips any challenges to their other IPs in the bud, but that's not something that usually happens, and a cease-and-desist followed by lawsuit to protect the IP seems far more traditional a response.

I'm a little conflicted on the subject. I loved the game and would love to see it both continue and grow (adding many more powersets and ATs!) for many years. I love superhero stuff in general. But also, theft and piracy are what they are, and whether or not IP law (or company policies or decisions to cancel games) are 'fair' or 'right' or 'just,' they are what they are, and this whole thing is kind of a thinly-veiled rationalization for taking what you want and screw the law. Hardly the stuff of heroes, IMO.

I'm certainly not going to throw stones. I've got my share of books I got used on Amazon for half-price (or less!), essentially cheating the publishers (and authors) out of the money I would have paid for a new copy. But I'm not gonna claim to be a hero, either.

Buying used books isn't in any way cheating any more than buying a used car or any other physical thing is. That's part of the point of physical things. The author (or car company or whatever) got their cut from the original purchase.

Technically, in most the original author gets their cut when the retailer buys the book, not when you buy it in a store. Even more technically, authors mostly get paid an advance and often don't sell through to the point of getting any further royalties, so they're not really getting a cut of individual purchases at all.

And while I agree that the law is clear in cases like this and do expect it to be shut down now, I have few moral qualms about cases like this. No one's actually being hurt directly, since the game is otherwise dead and the pirate servers aren't competing with the company's legitimate ones. No sales are being lost, it's just that something that would otherwise be dead is continuing.


TomParker wrote:

The alleged story is that someone, assumed to be a disgruntled developer, passed the source code for Issue 24 and the character database to someone shortly after shutdown. That person kept it secret and has run a private server for the last 6 years or so, even developing some enhancements in an Issue 25 release with new powersets and an archetype.

The private server players engaged in some heavy-handed tactics to keep it secret.

I had heard it was back, but I didn't know about all of this backstory. I'm astounded that a private server has been running for ~6 years and it was kept a secret, considering the amount of devotion surrounding that game. I wonder what "heavy-handed tactics" were employed.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

As a bonus twist, there's recently been some allegations that the idea of shutting down a game in a way that doesn't allow people to rebuild it and continue it on their own is, in and of itself, a form of fraud. After all, they sold people a good (and games are goods, not services, not even in the so-called "games as a service" model some companies talk about), and goods have specific legal protections. Things like "we're going to sell this item to you but at an undefined point will take it away from you and you can never access it again" may not actually be legal. ...So, y'know, that's fun. XD

Scarab Sages

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Maps, Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Adventure Path Subscriber; Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber; Pathfinder Comics Subscriber
I'm Hiding In Your Closet wrote:
Dude's a hero (pardon me, Hero). Perhaps I'm missing something, but it doesn't sound to me like he deserves any 'hate' whatsoever. I assume he did the best he could to save a game that was supposed to have been murdered by Corporate.

My best understanding is that over the course of the six years, the person who ran the server (not an NCSoft employee—the person who turned over the code remains anonymous) directed a campaign of misinformation and personal attacks at people who suggested the server existed.

Andostre wrote:
I had heard it was back, but I didn't know about all of this backstory. I'm astounded that a private server has been running for ~6 years and it was kept a secret, considering the amount of devotion surrounding that game. I wonder what "heavy-handed tactics" were employed.

I wasn't there first hand, but by all accounts the behavior was pretty reprehensible. It apparently got nasty. Lots of gaslighting, casting people who suggested the server existed as liars and frauds. Participants in the private server may have astroturfed the discussions claiming that it was crazy to suggest a server existed. He installed a batch of collaborators as moderators in the COH Reddit forum and had topics deleted and people banned.

Basically, a coordinated attempts to demonize and discredit anyone who knew it existed. Some of it has been reported by various gaming sites.

Scarab Sages

Okay, backpedaling...that's bananas.

Scarab Sages

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Maps, Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Adventure Path Subscriber; Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber; Pathfinder Comics Subscriber

Yeah, it doesn't seem like there were any heroes in chapter 1 of this story. Well, except for whoever handed over the code in the first place. The guy who leaked the whole deal in a detailed video seemed, in my opinion, to be a bitter guy who'd been happy to go along with everything until he got booted from the private server.

And the vitriol spewed at the owner of the private server also went far beyond any rational response; he claims he received death threats and the like.

Now that the code is out, it's calmed down a lot. There is some infighting between the primary group that has 4 or 5 servers up and some of the others, around claims that that primary group (the Homecoming team) is not sharing all the code needed to run the I25 server and are trying to control things in their own way. And some disputes over how to fund the operation of these servers.

But there are multiple servers up. The primary team, Homecoming, has 4 or 5 servers up with character transfers and nearly as many people as I'd see when the game was officially live. It's relatively stable. The /coxg/ server hosts a few hundred people. It's a bit lawless, as it's run by folks from 4chan, I think.

It's very likely that in the near future there will be a deployable server that anyone can run on relatively standard hardware and host a game for a small group of friends. So things are looking up.

If any of you hop on, I'm pretty sure my global handle is JohnnyFlux. Look me up. I'll see you in Paragon City.

Scarab Sages

TomParker wrote:
Well, except for whoever handed over the code in the first place.

Yeah, that's who I was really talking about. I didn't entirely understand who was what otherwise.


I will be checking this out tonight. Thanks for keeping us informed everyone!

RPG Superstar 2009 Top 32

I'm surprised NCSoft hasn't moved to quash this.


From what I hear there are negotiations going on with NCsoft to legitimize it, but it is surprising that no cease and desist has gone out yet.

RPG Superstar 2009 Top 32

Java Man wrote:
From what I hear there are negotiations going on with NCsoft to legitimize it, but it is surprising that no cease and desist has gone out yet.

Hopefully, some kind of deal can be reached.


Oh City of Heroes, how I have missed thee!!! Time to get my old COH book out so I can get all the badges again.

Dark Archive

Sharoth wrote:
Oh City of Heroes, how I have missed thee!!! Time to get my old COH book out so I can get all the badges again.

I was so avoiding badges, and then they introduced the idea of Accolades and I was like, 'Oh no. Now I have to hunt badges...'

Those fiends!

:)


It feels like I am cheating when I get the Redcap Daggers at the start instead of earning the Redcap badge first.


Yeah, it was pretty lame that players were sold not one, but two games, if they also played City of Villains, and then it all just evaporated. I've heard tell of the private server for years, but never a way to join.


If you do some googling you can very likely find info. Very likely.


This is all just a Nemesis plot.

Scarab Sages

Sharoth wrote:
It feels like I am cheating when I get the Redcap Daggers at the start instead of earning the Redcap badge first.

GAUUUGHHH f@&$ing Redcaps!!! *flashes back to the defeating-fields of Croatoa*

SO, the obvious question: Where does one go to start playing? Do you download it now (like you have to do with every other godsdamned thing these days, I guess it's fair for an MMO, but otherwise I HATE THAT), or do I break out the discs and reinstall?


I'm Hiding In Your Closet wrote:
Sharoth wrote:
It feels like I am cheating when I get the Redcap Daggers at the start instead of earning the Redcap badge first.

GAUUUGHHH f&~#ing Redcaps!!! *flashes back to the defeating-fields of Croatoa*

SO, the obvious question: Where does one go to start playing? Do you download it now (like you have to do with every other godsdamned thing these days, I guess it's fair for an MMO, but otherwise I HATE THAT), or do I break out the discs and reinstall?

When I get home today, I will get the info for you and post it here. I plan on downloading the game source code soon so I don't loose it and I would suggest it to others. The last part is up to you to find out how and where it is, but I will post links on how to join the game today.

Scarab Sages

Sharoth wrote:
I'm Hiding In Your Closet wrote:
When I get home today, I will get the info for you and post it here. I plan on downloading the game source code soon so I don't loose it and I would suggest it to others. The last part is up to you to find out how and where it is, but I will post links on how to join the game today.

*BUMP?*


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Sorry!

City of Heroes - Freedom

Scarab Sages

That's the official NCsoft site - not surprisingly (in hindsight), it doesn't seem to work.


Pathfinder Campaign Setting Subscriber

Today....I beat up some Hellions in Atlas Park.....

did not know how much I missed that

Scarab Sages

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Maps, Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Adventure Path Subscriber; Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber; Pathfinder Comics Subscriber
I'm Hiding In Your Closet wrote:
SO, the obvious question: Where does one go to start playing? Do you download it now (like you have to do with every other godsdamned thing these days, I guess it's fair for an MMO, but otherwise I HATE THAT), or do I break out the discs and reinstall?

See the link in my first post. It's the second post on this thread. Let me know if you have any questions.

Community / Forums / Gamer Life / Entertainment / Video Games / City of Heroes is back?! All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.
Recent threads in Video Games