Darkness vs light


Rules Questions


Hi, I know this is banal, but I'm running my first AP ever and I'm full of doubts.
A lvl3 derro necromancer uses darkness, my lvl2 PCs will meet him using a light spell, what happens to the two spells? will they fight in the dark (no problem for the tiefling and the halfling)or in the dim light?


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Spell level is what matters. The second-level spell darkness will tromp the zero-level spell light in the areas where the two overlap. Here's a long FAQ on the subject.

(BTW, "Skills, Feats, Equipment & Spells" is a forum for the playtest; I'm pretty sure you want the (PF1) Rules Questions forum and have flagged the post to move. If you really are running under the playtest rules, the answer is the same as per "Light and Darkness" on page 197 of the playtest rulebook.)


Fuzzy-Wuzzy wrote:

Spell level is what matters. The second-level spell darkness will tromp the zero-level spell light in the areas where the two overlap. Here's a long FAQ on the subject.

(BTW, "Skills, Feats, Equipment & Spells" is a forum for the playtest; I'm pretty sure you want the (PF1) Rules Questions forum and have flagged the post to move. If you really are running under the playtest rules, the answer is the same as per "Light and Darkness" on page 197 of the playtest rulebook.)

Sorry, you are right I wrote in the wrong forum

Thank you for your answer

Paizo Employee Customer Service Representative

Moved to Pathfinder RPG Rules Questions

Liberty's Edge

Pathfinder Adventure, Adventure Path, Companion, Lost Omens, Rulebook Subscriber

Illuminating darkness blog


Heh, they still didn't cover the "can a human see a group of other humans bearing torches 100 feet away on an otherwise (naturally) pitch black night" question.

Liberty's Edge

Pathfinder Adventure, Adventure Path, Companion, Lost Omens, Rulebook Subscriber
blahpers wrote:
Heh, they still didn't cover the "can a human see a group of other humans bearing torches 100 feet away on an otherwise (naturally) pitch black night" question.

Because the rules speak about how far you can see thanks to your light source, spotting a light source is based on RL.


My doubt is now: how to consider the spell-like ability darkness. Should I use it like a 3rd lvl spell?

Sorry if this is in the blog too, but english is not my language and I could have missed something


Diego Rossi wrote:
blahpers wrote:
Heh, they still didn't cover the "can a human see a group of other humans bearing torches 100 feet away on an otherwise (naturally) pitch black night" question.
Because the rules speak about how far you can see thanks to your light source, spotting a light source is based on RL.

Yeah, they do, and it's silly. Not in a "oh, we abstracted away the details" way but a jarringly immersion-breaking way. Can't see someone holding a torch--or even the torch itself--while standing in regular, nonmagical darkness because they're more than forty feet away? That's ridiculous, and for little reason--it doesn't really simplify things to omit the ability to see lit areas from a position of darkness.

Community / Forums / Pathfinder / Pathfinder First Edition / Rules Questions / Darkness vs light All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.