Considering Playing a Full Caster But not sure what one


Advice

51 to 67 of 67 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | next > last >>

In the worst case, the arcanist actually has less spells per day than a wizard. The wizard can get bonus spells from its school and from its bonded object.

The arcanist's power is in its ultimate versatility. It's has fewer maximum spells per day, but will often use more of its spells in a given day, because of its preparation-slots mechanic and its quick study exploit.


Yeah at low levels I find the game a slog in general and I think Arcanist is probably the worst offender for that aside from some corner cases.

(Trying to be pure caster Mesmerist or early level Silksworn)

Hence I thought it worth noting that starting level 7 is a really nice place for them.


Who needs to be a full caster when you can be a Bard and be the envy of all your friends. Imagine, such glorious phrases as "I inspire courage in all my friends with tales of my own Derring-do!" And "Oh, you failed the will save? Time to laugh yourself to death!" See that cute farm girl over there? Melt her heart with song and dance. Farmer caught you in the hayloft with his daughter? Make good your escape with a full suite of skills like: Diplomacy, Bluff, Sleight of Hand, Escape Artist, Acrobatics, Color Spray. Look fabulous. Be fabulous. Bribe your way out of trouble and it's back to the road, eating and drinking for free at every Tavern in exchange for a few songs.

*farmer's daughter not included, Bards Inc. is not liable for damages done to person or belongings in the event of angry farmers.

In all seriousness though what the bard gives up in blasting ability he makes up in sheer flexibility. The bard has a ton of skill points and the ability scores to use them, can talk his way into or out of most things, can use martial weapons like the Rapier and Longbow to some effect, and can do all sorts of fun tricky things like carry around half a dozen nets which he proceeds to toss untrained at the 5 foot square occupied by an enemy spellcaster up to 30 feet away and still only need to hit like a 9 on the die to shut that guy down until your martial friends can do the dirty work for you.

Blasting and debuffing are the least efficient ways to be a caster due to the incredible saves present in a vast majority of the Bestiary, and everything that a full caster does to the things that don't have amazing saves, the bard can also do with less investment. You'll never find a knowledge the bard doesnt at least have a chance on, and both in and out of combat you'll be one of your parties lynchpins.


Really thinking my next character is going to be a sorcerer with the unicorn bloodline. Bonus spells are healing spells (including heal at level 6). Your bloodline arcana gives light healing every time you cast a spell.


nicholas storm wrote:
Really thinking my next character is going to be a sorcerer with the unicorn bloodline. Bonus spells are healing spells (including heal at level 6). Your bloodline arcana gives light healing every time you cast a spell.

There are some bloodlines I'm not comfortable with because of the parental implications. Unicorn is one of them.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
ShroudedInLight wrote:
nicholas storm wrote:
Really thinking my next character is going to be a sorcerer with the unicorn bloodline. Bonus spells are healing spells (including heal at level 6). Your bloodline arcana gives light healing every time you cast a spell.
There are some bloodlines I'm not comfortable with because of the parental implications. Unicorn is one of them.

Justify it by saying that "It was at truly great cost that I got that first level of sorcerer, but that is a sacrifice I was willing to make. So sure, my blood does carry power, but it's not exactly all my blood..."


Chromantic Durgon <3 wrote:

Yeah at low levels I find the game a slog in general and I think Arcanist is probably the worst offender for that aside from some corner cases.

(Trying to be pure caster Mesmerist or early level Silksworn)

Hence I thought it worth noting that starting level 7 is a really nice place for them.

Having played through to 7th so far on my current character, I can attest that the early levels of silksworn occultist are pretty darn brutal. There is worse though IMHO: the early investigator levels before gaining studied combat. OMG. Never again will I ever play an investigator starting from level one! I played a swashigator at higher levels and the class is basically night and day different pre and post studied combat.


SO Question

Lets say I want to Build a Mage that Dose some Melee Combat with a magical staff what would be the best way for this

just Staff Magus?

I had a mental Image of a young Vagabond type Spell caster who has a Magical staff that is proficient at using it to beat people skulls in as well as cast magic


Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
JuliusCromwell wrote:

SO Question

Lets say I want to Build a Mage that Dose some Melee Combat with a magical staff what would be the best way for this

just Staff Magus?

Yeah, the staff isn't a particularly great weapon unless you have class features backing it, so Staff Magus is the ideal way to go. It's worth noting that most staves require you to have access to at least 4th level spells in order to recharge them, so your selection will be extremely limited when you're starting out.

Grand Lodge

Staff magus is super flavorful, I like it. It's a good archetype; you don't lose out on anything major as a Magus and gain a flavorful way to fight. A friend of mine made one, maxed out bluff and convinced everyone he's a staff-focused monk using ki powers to boost his damage with elemental energy.


Dasrak wrote:
JuliusCromwell wrote:

SO Question

Lets say I want to Build a Mage that Dose some Melee Combat with a magical staff what would be the best way for this

just Staff Magus?

Yeah, the staff isn't a particularly great weapon unless you have class features backing it, so Staff Magus is the ideal way to go. It's worth noting that most staves require you to have access to at least 4th level spells in order to recharge them, so your selection will be extremely limited when you're starting out.

& with this: note that with a 4 level dip in monk, you will get 4th level spells as a magus at character level 14. One level later than a paladin or ranger.


If you're worried about running out of spells, Witch is the way to go, and with the Elements Patron you even get an okay spell list for blasting. Normally gets the Wizard spells per day but with no bonus spells, but Hexes save you a LOT of need for spell use if you're doing anything other than blasting. If you're REALLY worried about running out of spells, go Ley Line Guardian Witch to get Sorcerer spells per day and spontaneous casting, while still having Hexes, and still being able to blasterize the spell list with the Elements Patron . . . and no more worries about the squishy spellbook-in-flesh Patron.


Isn’t there a Druid archetype that is kind built around Shillelaghs?


Pathfinder Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Chromantic Durgon <3 wrote:
Isn’t there a Druid archetype that is kind built around Shillelaghs?

I know Nature Fang can really juice up your melee abilities at the cost of Wild Shape, and works great with Shillelagh at low levels.

It's a pretty nice archetype for a full caster who doesn't want to muck about with shape changing rules. If you use the slayer talents to pick up Two Weapon Fighting feats through ranger combat styles, you could do some double weapon staff stuff.

Grand Lodge

Chromantic Durgon <3 wrote:
Isn’t there a Druid archetype that is kind built around Shillelaghs?

Green Scourge I think it works better with Flame Blade Dervish Combat. You have to stat it like a caster, channeling cleric, which can to hard on some point buys.


WatersLethe wrote:
Chromantic Durgon <3 wrote:
Isn’t there a Druid archetype that is kind built around Shillelaghs?

I know Nature Fang can really juice up your melee abilities at the cost of Wild Shape, and works great with Shillelagh at low levels.

It's a pretty nice archetype for a full caster who doesn't want to muck about with shape changing rules. If you use the slayer talents to pick up Two Weapon Fighting feats through ranger combat styles, you could do some double weapon staff stuff.

Sounds like this could be an option OP


Grandlounge wrote:
Chromantic Durgon <3 wrote:
Isn’t there a Druid archetype that is kind built around Shillelaghs?
Green Scourge I think it works better with Flame Blade Dervish Combat. You have to stat it like a caster, channeling cleric, which can to hard on some point buys.

Flame Blade is not worth wasting a feat on.

Flame Blade is not finesse-able because it's a one-handed weapon like the Scimitar, but it doesn't get the Scimitar's crit range. Maxed out it does 1D8+10 fire damage. It is subject to Spell Resistance and is the most common element to have resistances/immunity to.

Unless you have a baller Charisma modifier, it's definitely not worth wasting a feat on. The added movement speed and Acrobatics bonus will help you run away when your Flame Blade does absolutely nothing.

The entirety of Flame Blade Dervish is just underwhelming. I think it's a trap. There are better spells of lower level worth building around.

51 to 67 of 67 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Pathfinder / Pathfinder RPG / Advice / Considering Playing a Full Caster But not sure what one All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.