New GM requesting some clarification on loot in PFS / SFS


Pathfinder Society


I think I have the idea of how things work a bit, but I would love some clarification on how loot rewards work in the session and after.

1. If a group is awarded with an item as a reward, it is ONE item, not one for every PC, correct? Can this item be used at that moment for the rest of the session as agreed upon by the PC's? Or is nothing available until the end? If so, every rewarded item is therefore not rewarded, but must be bought? This is the part that confuses me. If it is given as a reward, it must still be bought? Or does an agreed PC that receives it during the session get that item there on out and the item is then unlocked for the other PC's for purchase at the end of the session?

2. If a PC would like to buy an item on a post session sheet but can't afford it, can they come back down the road and purchase it later, or is that "store" locked out once you move to the next session?

Thank you in advance.

***** ⦵⦵⦵

Wow, there’s a lot of stuff on this chronicle, I’m rich!

Whoa there.

The gold you get from the scenario is on the upper right hand side. This is usually your reward. Just about everything else on the chronicle sheet merely provides access to the item, not the item itself.

It doesn’t matter how much gold you have, the society is not just going to hand anyone a vorpal sword. They’re not going to spend the time and expense of finding, making, or stea.. Acquiring such an item for just anyone either.

Your character usually acquires access to equipment from the society in 4 ways:

It's on a chronicle sheet. You were the one that brought the item in for study, so you can buy it back once they’re done studying it in between adventures.
It's on the always available list. The society will let any members, including their most junior, buy mundane and alchemical weapons, armor and gear made of normal and special materials (other than dragonhide), alchemical equipment, scrolls and potions of first level spells.
You can spend 1 or 2 pp to buy an item worth up to 150 or 750 gp. Many adventurers use their first two PP to purchase a wand of cure light wounds or infernal healing this way. Even if they can’t cast it themselves, they can hand it to someone who can. This way, you pay for your own healing, even if someone else is operating your wand.
And most importantly, Fame. You can buy any legal item from the society that you meet the fame score for. (See the chart in the guide.) As you adventure your fame grows, and the society is more willing to open their vaults or have their craftsmen make items just for you. This means that if you have a character concept that requires a flaming, shocking, mithril kusarigama you don’t need to pray that you find one on the chronicle, you can get it made. Your purchase limit USUALLY exceeds the amount of gold on hand. While chronicle sheet loot looks very important, in practice only rare items, partially charged wands, and items you can’t normally buy (like an elven cloak of resistance) really matter.

Its a very common question

***** ⦵⦵⦵

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Quote:
If a group is awarded with an item as a reward, it is ONE item, not one for every PC, correct?

It's one item during the adventure it's 1 per PC after the adventure.

Quote:
Can this item be used at that moment for the rest of the session as agreed upon by the PC's?

Yes

Quote:
If so, every rewarded item is therefore not rewarded, but must be bought?

It's awarded during the scenario but must be bought afterwards if you want to continue using it, but everyone may do so.

Quote:
This is the part that confuses me.

It confuses everyone because it's a little gamist and not realist but it is a very necessary gamism to avoid people fighting over who gets the +7 ubersword of marmoset murdering.

Quote:
If it is given as a reward, it must still be bought? Or does an agreed PC that receives it during the session get that item there on out and the item is then unlocked for the other PC's for purchase at the end of the session?

During session: realism. There is one sword

After session, gamism. You drop your gold off at the pathfinder lodge and they hand you that very same sword back. Your friend drops their gold off at the pathfinder lodge and they get... that very same sword back.

The quatermaster is a gnome. Don't think too hard on it :)

Quote:
If a PC would like to buy an item on a post session sheet but can't afford it, can they come back down the road and purchase it later, or is that "store" locked out once you move to the next session?

It's in the shop till the day they die and stay dead. They can come back and buy it any time they have the cash.

Sovereign Court **** Venture-Lieutenant, Netherlands—Leiden aka Ascalaphus

1 person marked this as a favorite.
wc5b wrote:

I think I have the idea of how things work a bit, but I would love some clarification on how loot rewards work in the session and after.

1. If a group is awarded with an item as a reward, it is ONE item, not one for every PC, correct? Can this item be used at that moment for the rest of the session as agreed upon by the PC's?

More or less yes. During the scenario, there's just one of that item around. The PCs can use it.

wc5b wrote:
Or is nothing available until the end? If so, every rewarded item is therefore not rewarded, but must be bought? This is the part that confuses me. If it is given as a reward, it must still be bought? Or does an agreed PC that receives it during the session get that item there on out and the item is then unlocked for the other PC's for purchase at the end of the session?

During the session, there's one of that item to use for the whole group. At the end of the session, they return to HQ with the item, and HQ puts it in a vault, and gives everyone a 1/6th share of the value. They also get a coupon for buying it later on.

wc5b wrote:

2. If a PC would like to buy an item on a post session sheet but can't afford it, can they come back down the road and purchase it later, or is that "store" locked out once you move to the next session?

Thank you in advance.

You can totally buy it later.

What it comes down to is: during the session, there's one of the item. At the end, you hand it in, and get money, and the right to buy it for yourself.

That does mean that afterwards, there might be six people running around with a "unique" item that they all bought back "out of the vault". The Guide acknowledges this, and that it's a bit unrealistic, but a compromise that we can live with very well. It's much more pleasant than having the players argue about who gets to be the one person who gets to hold on to the item.

The Exchange ***** RPG Superstar 2010 Top 16

2 people marked this as a favorite.

I blame it all on the Year of the Shadow Lodge interactive adventure.

In that adventure, the villain uses the Cage of Soul-echoes, stored on the grounds of the Society headquarters, to duplicate himself a hundred-fold, with some duplicates more powerful than others. (This way, each table of characters gets to fight him.)

The machine doesn't last out the adventure, but who's to say that it hasn't had permanent repercussions?

This is my explanation when someone is playing an iconic. Seoni was one of the Pathfinder agents too close to the machine, and she's been duplicated hundreds of times, at 1st, 4th, and 7th level.

And it's been my explanation for the gamist elements of item purchase. "Remember the Cage of Soul-echoes? That explosion was right below the commissary."

****

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Chris Mortika wrote:

I blame it all on the Year of the Shadow Lodge interactive adventure.

In that adventure, the villain uses the Cage of Soul-echoes, stored on the grounds of the Society headquarters, to duplicate himself a hundred-fold, with some duplicates more powerful than others. (This way, each table of characters gets to fight him.)

The machine doesn't last out the adventure, but who's to say that it hasn't had permanent repercussions?

This is my explanation when someone is playing an iconic. Seoni was one of the Pathfinder agents too close to the machine, and she's been duplicated hundreds of times, at 1st, 4th, and 7th level.

And it's been my explanation for the gamist elements of item purchase. "Remember the Cage of Soul-echoes? That explosion was right below the commissary."

Kiera may have been closer to the explosion, as she seems to have even more duplicates.

**

One thing to note: if the scenario awards more than one of an item, the scenario text will explicitly say so.

Every so often someone gives one each of something to the group.

But you still follow the same procedure at the end of the scenario as single copy items. Obtained treasure is given to the in-game PFS Lodge and those items can be purchased later.

Quote:
2. If a PC would like to buy an item on a post session sheet but can't afford it, can they come back down the road and purchase it later?

Yes. You almost always have to for the good stuff.

Community / Forums / Organized Play / Pathfinder Society / New GM requesting some clarification on loot in PFS / SFS All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.