Which kind of weapon is monk's body ?


Rules Questions


I can't find a clear answer to that question. I'd tend to say that I deal bludgeoning damages, but I can't find anywhere where it's specifically stated. Do I have to chose which kind of damage I deal ? Can I slot Impact on an amulet of migthy fists ?


Unarmed strike in the weapon table is designated as Bludgeoning only. There's a handful of styles out there that allow Piercing

Either way it doesn't qualify for Impact because unarmed strikes are also light weapons which DQs them from Impact enchants.

Dark Archive

applecat144 wrote:
Can I slot Impact on an amulet of migthy fists ?

Unarmed strike

Damage 1d2 (small), 1d3 (medium); Critical x2; Type Bludgeoning
Category Light; Proficiency Simple
Weapon Group Close
An unarmed strike is always considered a light weapon.

Impact
Price +2 bonus; Aura moderate transmutation; CL 9th; Weight —

DESCRIPTION

This special ability can only be placed on melee weapons that are not light weapons.

TL;DR
No


Ok. I had a doubt about Impact since it says that an unarmed strike is always considered a light weapon, but at the same time the improved unarmed strike states that you're considered armed when making an "unarmed strike". Wasn't very clear.

Dark Archive

applecat144 wrote:
Ok. I had a doubt about Impact since it says that an unarmed strike is always considered a light weapon, but at the same time the improved unarmed strike states that you're considered armed when making an "unarmed strike". Wasn't very clear.

Considered armed just means your aren't considered unarmed and can do things like not provoke AoO's for attacking when unarmed.

The weapon categories are light, one handed, and two handed. Unarmed strikes always fall into the light category.


6 people marked this as a favorite.

To a barbarian with Body Bludgeon rage power a Monk's Body is considered a two-handed improvised weapon that deals bludgeoning damage.


Baba Ganoush wrote:
To a barbarian with Body Bludgeon rage power a Monk's Body is considered a two-handed improvised weapon that deals bludgeoning damage.

Ok this is much, much clearer explained this way. Thanks a lot for your time.

An other question : can I take weapon related feats, such as weapon focus or improved critical, on unarmed strike ?


Weapon Focus literally tells you that you can do that: "Choose one type of weapon. You can also choose unarmed strike or grapple (or ray, if you are a spellcaster) as your weapon for the purposes of this feat."

While not explicitly stated in other feats, the same is true for Improved Critical and so on, because it does count as a weapon (just not a manufactured weapon nor natural weapon).


Alright. One more question :p

Can I use both a Body Wrap of Mighty Strikes and an Amulet of Mighty Fists ?

Enhancement bonus do not stack, that's for sure. But if I get a +2 weapon property on the Body Wrap (let's say, Axiomatic) and a +3 property on the Amulet (let's say Speed) does it works and give me both effects ?

It would be a much cheaper alternative than getting a +5 amulette or a +6 body wrap.

Liberty's Edge

I daresay, it's a perfect weapon.


try the monk class guide hosted by zenith games.


applecat144 wrote:
Can I use both a Body Wrap of Mighty Strikes and an Amulet of Mighty Fists ?

Yes you can, but it's often not worth it. Usually, Bodywrap doesn't cover all your attacks (thanks to bonus attacks from Haste, Flurry of Blows, and/or Two-Weapon Fighting), and since it needs at least a +1 for special enchantments, you wouldn't even have an enhancement bonus on all attacks.

Thankfully, nowadays, most characters don't need either, as the handwraps do the job much better.

Just in case it was more than just an example, you don't ever want to use the speed enchantment, as even if no one in your party provides Haste/Blessing of Fervor, Boots of Speed are way cheaper.

If you're interested in some more precise advice, or other tips, telling us a bit about your planned character and the circumstances (PFS or homegame, what books are allowed, any houserules we should know about) would be helpful.

Dark Archive

applecat144 wrote:
Baba Ganoush wrote:
To a barbarian with Body Bludgeon rage power a Monk's Body is considered a two-handed improvised weapon that deals bludgeoning damage.

Ok this is much, much clearer explained this way. Thanks a lot for your time.

An other question : can I take weapon related feats, such as weapon focus or improved critical, on unarmed strike ?

that is a joke. body bludgeon is entirely different from unarmed strikes.

unarmed strike = you hit a guy with your body
body bludgeon = you hit a guy with another guy


well - it's not a slam attack either.

I put the class guide link in my previous comment as this seems to be a "how do I build a monk" question.


Derklord wrote:

Weapon Focus literally tells you that you can do that: "Choose one type of weapon. You can also choose unarmed strike or grapple (or ray, if you are a spellcaster) as your weapon for the purposes of this feat."

While not explicitly stated in other feats, the same is true for Improved Critical and so on, because it does count as a weapon (just not a manufactured weapon nor natural weapon).

Monk wrote:
A monk’s unarmed strike is treated as both a manufactured weapon and a natural weapon for the purpose of spells and effects that enhance or improve either manufactured weapons or natural weapons.


Feat selection/prerequisites is not an effect.


Derklord wrote:
Feat selection/prerequisites is not an effect.

That's been argued up and down with no satisfying resolution either way.

Community / Forums / Pathfinder / Pathfinder First Edition / Rules Questions / Which kind of weapon is monk's body ? All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.