Need help changing damage type


Advice


What I'm looking for is this:

Any melee weapon
Damage type changes from piercing/slashing/bludgeoning to some type of elemental. I don't want it to deal P/S/B damage any longer, I want it to deal some type of elemental (or other) damage type.

I don't want an addition, like Frost or Flaming. I want it to change the actual damage it deals, similar to Mage Shot (Cold).

I've done some searching, and I can't find anything like what I'm asking. But some of you are WAY more knowledgeable than I (and you have more ranks in Google-Fu), so I'm hoping someone may know of an item.

Thank you!


Well, there are a lot of weapons that do combinations or choices of Damage: Halberds, Morning Stars, Lucerne Hammer, Gnome Hooked Hammer, Dwaven Urgosh.

Get yourself a Bow, and get an assortment of weapon Blanches or some Silver and Cold Iron Arrows. There are Blunt Arrows. There might be Slashing Arrows. Be a Grenadier Alchemist and take Explosive Missile and those different kinds of Energy Bomb Discoveries: Frost Bombs, Acid Bombs, etc.

There is a Feat, Weapon Versatility, that lets you switch your weapon between blunt, slashing, and piercing.


Scott Wilhelm wrote:

Well, there are a lot of weapons that do combinations or choices of Damage: Halberds, Morning Stars, Lucerne Hammer, Gnome Hooked Hammer, Dwaven Urgosh.

Get yourself a Bow, and get an assortment of weapon Blanches or some Silver and Cold Iron Arrows. There are Blunt Arrows. There might be Slashing Arrows. Be a Grenadier Alchemist and take Explosive Missile and those different kinds of Energy Bomb Discoveries: Frost Bombs, Acid Bombs, etc.

There is a Feat, Weapon Versatility, that lets you switch your weapon between blunt, slashing, and piercing.

Maybe I didn't word it right (I will edit the above question). I don't want the weapon to deal piercing/slashing/bludgeoning damage any longer. I want it to deal elemental damage as it's base damage type.


You can not.

In fact off the top of my head, battle poi are your best option. They do fire.

But changing the weapon itself, like long sword to acid? Nothing I can think of.


Cavall wrote:

You can not.

In fact off the top of my head, battle poi are your best option. They do fire.

But changing the weapon itself, like long sword to acid? Nothing I can think of.

The Battle Poi may be perfect! Does anyone know of any other melee weapon that deals some type of non B/P/S damage? (It can be a magical weapon, so long as the base damage it deals isn't B/P/S)


The only weapons that tend to deal non-physical damage are weapons generated by spells, like flameblade.

Battle poi are the only other exception I can think of.


A black blade (via the appropriate magus or arcanist archetype) can do this at 5th level by spending pool points.


Not sure if it's what you are wanting, but have you checked out the kinetic knight archetype for the kineticist?

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

I don't think it would be too bad to commission essentially a sword hilt that functions as a Flame Blade.


Getting your GM to allow a custom magic item that is essentially a permanent flame blade shouldn't be too bad.

Actually, I'd be surprised if there isn't a specific magic weapon that isn't already like that.

But since specific magic weapons tend to get overlooked...it's probably not popular.


Val'bryn2 wrote:
I don't think it would be too bad to commission essentially a sword hilt that functions as a Flame Blade.

such a thing basically already exists Scabbard of the Lost kiss. Unfortunately it has limited uses per day.


Be a Goblin, take Fire Hand, and Burn-Burn-Burn. Use a torch as a light mace that does 1+1D4 fire damage.


For me, I want to change the type so I can use/abuse Weapon Shift with a Shifter. So I don't think the Scabbard would work in this case. And I know the Kinetic Knight wouldn't (I looked into it closely).


I'm relatively new to Pathfinder and little out of date on D&D in general but I've never known of anyone to try this. I agree that it is an interesting idea, however, Cavall's post from earlier is pretty accurate as far as I know. There just hasn't historically been a way to change a weapons damage type from piercing/slashing/bludgeoning to things like fire/cold/acid/force/sonic. Sorry.


Is your reasoning just to get around damage reduction?

Because there are easier ways to get around damage reduction.

100 points of fire damage is equivalent to 100 points of slashing damage if the target has neither fire resistance or DR.

Enhancement bonuses can overcome material based DR and even alignment DR. You can't overcome resistances to slashing and piercing (like skeletons have DR/bludgeoning) but very few creatures actually have that kind of resistance.

Community / Forums / Pathfinder / Pathfinder RPG / Advice / Need help changing damage type All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.