Garycon Pathfinder 2E Seminar: Did anyone attend and was anything cool revealed?


Second Edition

1 to 50 of 236 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | next > last >>

What the title says! :)


I'm surprised this thread didn't get any love.

Anything to report from the seminar? Anyone?


Stone Dog wrote:

I'm surprised this thread didn't get any love.

Anything to report from the seminar? Anyone?

At this point, I’m operating on the assumption that nothing new was revealed. They probably just went over the launch slate.


There's a tiny bit of response on this topic on Reddit
https://www.reddit.com/r/Pathfinder2e/comments/azt9rn/anyone_who_went_to_ga rycon_have_any_info/


Hugolinus wrote:

There's a tiny bit of response on this topic on Reddit

https://www.reddit.com/r/Pathfinder2e/comments/azt9rn/anyone_who_went_to_ga rycon_have_any_info/

Yeah, it sounds like it's very much unclear as far as reports go - which is fine, the guy was just enjoying his preview rather than taking notes, but as it's been posted it's hard to distinguish between hope & speculation and actual reports.


Linkified.

But yeah, only a scant tidbit.

Silver Crusade

Jason aslo did a seminar at GAMA in the last couple days. I'm kind of surprised we haven't seen Fuller reports from either one yet.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Card Game, Maps, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber; Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber; Pathfinder Deluxe Comics Subscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber

He’s running a PF2 game on twitch tonight at 8pm. I saw it announced by Game Trade Media, so I guess it’s their twitch channel. Presumably Paizo will host it also.

Silver Crusade

Steve Geddes wrote:
He’s running a PF2 game on twitch tonight at 8pm. I saw it announced by Game Trade Media, so I guess it’s their twitch channel. Presumably Paizo will host it also.

8pm PST is probably going to be too late for me this evening, but if anyone catches it, please throw up a notes thread! I'll try to catch up tomorrow


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Card Game, Maps, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber; Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber; Pathfinder Deluxe Comics Subscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber

Hmm..I don't actually know what the timezone was. That wasn't very helpful was it? :o


8PM Pacific Time.
Advantages of being in AEST: that's my 1pm. Lunch and a show.


Steve Geddes wrote:
He’s running a PF2 game on twitch tonight at 8pm. I saw it announced by Game Trade Media, so I guess it’s their twitch channel. Presumably Paizo will host it also.

Live now:

https://www.twitch.tv/gametrademedia


4 people marked this as a favorite.

I joined late, but already saw something interseting. High strength can apparently bypass some of the speed penalty from armor. That's at least a start of making heavy armor not suck. I would like to see mithral regain it's ability to negate some as well.

Liberty's Edge

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion, Roleplaying Game Subscriber; Pathfinder Comics Subscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber

Bless has gained an interesting effect: it initially only affects a 5 ft radius, but a Concentrate action extends that by 5 ft per action spent...


As someone currently sitting at work staring at the clock, thank you guys for live updates.


Dammit, Magic Weapon did double damage x.x This one I didn't want to return.

Also confirmed: AOO is not universal, shields work like playtest (action to raise to get AC/block), same for +10/-10 Crits.


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Maps, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

Shield can take 20 pts of damage before breaking. It can block 8 pts of damage per hit. No mention of dents. The shield that Seelah is using.


5 people marked this as a favorite.

KYRA IS THE WARPRIEST PATH OF CLERIC!!! (Gets heavy armor) There's also a spell-focused version!

SO much for the class! But this can be good!


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Maps, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber
ChibiNyan wrote:

Dammit, Magic Weapon did double damage x.x This one I didn't want to return.

Also confirmed: AOO is not universal, shields work like playtest (action to raise to get AC/block), same for +10/-10 Crits.

well all we know is the spell the cleric used on the fighter gave them a +1 die damage.

Liberty's Edge

3 people marked this as a favorite.

Stuff I've noted already (and I started late):

-Spells now grant a 'Status' bonus. That's much less confusing the Competence/Circumstance thing. I approve.
-Bless is no longer a Concentration spell. It just starts with a small radius and you can, if you choose, spend Actions to increase the radius.
-Valeros seemed to have a move of 25 (assuming that isn't a mistake). That makes me optimistic that Medium armor lacks a speed penalty.
-Valeros has AC 18. This seems mostly unchanged despite Proficiency giving a higher bonus. Maybe Armor gives a lower bonus now? One lower would work fine-ish.
-There's apparently two versions of the Cleric. One version focusing on physical combat with better armor and weapon Proficiencies (this may actually be called 'Warpriest' which would be cool), while the other has better Spells. Paths having been added to the Cleric is confirmed.
-Bonuses (like the Str bonus to damage) seem to double on a crit. That's neat.

Liberty's Edge

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion, Roleplaying Game Subscriber; Pathfinder Comics Subscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber
Justin Franklin wrote:
Shield can take 20 pts of damage before breaking. It can block 8 pts of damage per hit. No mention of dents. The shield that Seelah is using.

The 8 pts of damage it blocks only protect the user - the shield itself always takes the damage, so it's not really like Hardness as we were used to it being.


yeah, war-priest vs caster cleric is awesome (not sure if there is medium or other path?).

high STR reducing armor speed reduction is cool, wonder if that might be model for Dwarven Slow and Steady?
EDIT: this does feel like appropriate distinction given dropping ASF% for casters.

re: complaints about doubling, it's kind of silly IMHO, i already used exactly that rule in 3.x and P1e, it isn't any less swingy range of damage than a non crit. and reality is, it's a dead easy house rule to roll all dice twice instead.


4 people marked this as a favorite.
Deadmanwalking wrote:

Stuff I've noted already (and I started late):

-Spells now grant a 'Status' bonus. That's much less confusing the Competence/Circumstance thing. I approve.
-Bless is no longer a Concentration spell. It just starts with a small radius and you can, if you choose, spend Actions to increase the radius.
-Valeros seemed to have a move of 25 (assuming that isn't a mistake). That makes me optimistic that Medium armor lacks a speed penalty.
-Valeros has AC 18. This seems mostly unchanged despite Proficiency giving a higher bonus. Maybe Armor gives a lower bonus now? One lower would work fine-ish.
-There's apparently two versions of the Cleric. One version focusing on physical combat with better armor and weapon Proficiencies (this may actually be called 'Warpriest' which would be cool), while the other has better Spells. Paths having been added to the Cleric is confirmed.
-Bonuses (like the Str bonus to damage) seem to double on a crit. That's neat.

He said armor does lower speed, but with enough STR the reduction is negated. Said Valeros was strong enough to ignore his armor.

Also: Paladin has Retributive Strike ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzz.

Liberty's Edge

Kyra has +7 to hit with her Fire Ray for 2d6 damage. That's solid, though the mechanism is unknown.

Liberty's Edge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion, Roleplaying Game Subscriber; Pathfinder Comics Subscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber

We are learning a whole lot of things that Assurance doesn't do.


Deadmanwalking wrote:
Kyra has +7 to hit with her Fire Ray for 2d6 damage. That's solid, though the mechanism is unknown.

Heard nothing about expending spell points or power points or whatever, surprisingly.

Also the Skeleton Boss guy resisted fire. Dunno if it applies to all Skeletons.

Liberty's Edge

ChibiNyan wrote:
He said armor does lower speed, but with enough STR the reduction is negated. Said Valeros was strong enough to ignore his armor.

I started late. Must've missed it. That's actually great news, and exactly what I advocated.


9 people marked this as a favorite.

ASSURANCE: TREAT DIE ROLL AS 10, GET BONUS. TAKE 10!

Liberty's Edge

Assurance is now Taking 10 ala PF1. Cool.

ChibiNyan wrote:
Deadmanwalking wrote:
Kyra has +7 to hit with her Fire Ray for 2d6 damage. That's solid, though the mechanism is unknown.

Heard nothing about expending spell points or power points or whatever, surprisingly.

Also the Skeleton Boss guy resisted fire. Dunno if it applies to all Skeletons.

I wouldn't assume that the Focus Spell not getting its cost mentioned means anything, the game was almost over.

Liberty's Edge

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion, Roleplaying Game Subscriber; Pathfinder Comics Subscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber
ChibiNyan wrote:
Also: Paladin has Retributive Strike ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzz.

It seems to be a distinctly superior to the playtest version, though. It gives the ally damage protection in addition to the free counterattack.

Liberty's Edge

1 person marked this as a favorite.

Multiclass Archetypes only in the core rulebook. 10 more Archetypes in Lost Omens World Guide. None are Class specific to start with (though, as noted, those will be added eventually).

Fighters lack Class Paths. Rogues get 'Rackets', which sound like the exact same Paths as in the playtest (with new names).


Merisiel is a Rogue with the Thief subclass thingy. They still get Dex to damage on anything.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

Chapter (about 26 pages) of setting info, it's where the deity info is now. Is this the so called Secret Chapter? Not sure.

Edit: It is the secret chapter.

Liberty's Edge

1 person marked this as a favorite.

New Chapter is the one on Golarion/Age of Lost Omens, includes Gods and all their stuff.

Treat Wounds can only be used on one person once per hour. Amount healed is based on making high checks and having high Proficiency (the base level is 2d8 healing, but you could make higher DC checks to heal more if your Proficiency is higher).

Spending an extra action to heal with the Heal spell adds an extra d8 maximized rather than rolled.


Heal Spell healed 1d8+8 with 2 actions. Instead of another d8, the action added a full 8 for reliability.

Liberty's Edge

Age of Ashes goes to 20th level. Cool.


Secret Chapter = LORE Chapter. Yes!

Liberty's Edge

3 people marked this as a favorite.

They're trying to take lessons from the Strategy Guide in how they lay out the core rulebook, hopefully making it a friendlier and easier entry point.


I may be mistaken, but it looks like crits now just double the damage instead of rolling the damage dice twice and multiplying the bonus.

Liberty's Edge

Doktor Weasel wrote:
I may be mistaken, but it looks like crits now just double the damage instead of rolling the damage dice twice and multiplying the bonus.

Possibly. They definitely double the bonus as well as the dice.


Deadmanwalking wrote:
Doktor Weasel wrote:
I may be mistaken, but it looks like crits now just double the damage instead of rolling the damage dice twice and multiplying the bonus.
Possibly. They definitely double the bonus as well as the dice.

They always did that? In both PF1 and the playtest that's how they work.

Liberty's Edge

FowlJ wrote:
Deadmanwalking wrote:
Doktor Weasel wrote:
I may be mistaken, but it looks like crits now just double the damage instead of rolling the damage dice twice and multiplying the bonus.
Possibly. They definitely double the bonus as well as the dice.
They always did that? In both PF1 and the playtest that's how they work.

True, just clarifying.

Liberty's Edge

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Deadmanwalking wrote:
Treat Wounds can only be used on one person once per hour. Amount healed is based on making high checks and having high Proficiency (the base level is 2d8 healing, but you could make higher DC checks to heal more if your Proficiency is higher).

Isn't that much weaker than in the playtest ?

Mundane healing being on par with magical healing for out-of-combat was a great thing. Have we lost that ?


1 person marked this as a favorite.

No, mundane healing being 2d8 at level 1 is better than magical healing (1d8).
We’d need to know the scaling to say more. It could be purely rank-based (higher proficiency for extra dice), DC-based (try a harder DC to heal more), level-based (heal 1d8 plus 1d8 per level) or hybrid (base value based on rank plus 1d8 per level) for all we know.


The Raven Black wrote:
Deadmanwalking wrote:
Treat Wounds can only be used on one person once per hour. Amount healed is based on making high checks and having high Proficiency (the base level is 2d8 healing, but you could make higher DC checks to heal more if your Proficiency is higher).

Isn't that much weaker than in the playtest ?

Mundane healing being on par with magical healing for out-of-combat was a great thing. Have we lost that ?

Cure wounds was a tad too good even compared to magical healing, specially for something with no investment at all. Having a cap on healing or increasing it with proef seems fair.

Liberty's Edge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
The Raven Black wrote:
Isn't that much weaker than in the playtest ?

Not per check, or not necessarily anyway. 2d8 at 1st level is significantly better than the baseline level there was in the playtest.

Per hour, it's probably weaker (we can't know for sure until we know amounts healed) given it's once an hour instead of six times, but that only matters

The Raven Black wrote:
Mundane healing being on par with magical healing for out-of-combat was a great thing. Have we lost that ?

Depends on time scale. If you have hours or days it's still as good as it ever was. If you're not doing it more than once an hour, it's as good as ever, probably better. If you were taking half an hour between every fight to heal completely, it's probably worse.

I think that's probably better for the game all things considered. It means you can rely exclusively on mundane healing, but it's a lot more time intensive than it was in the playtest, and there's much more real incentive to supplement it with magic even outside combat.

Liberty's Edge

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Ediwir wrote:
We’d need to know the scaling to say more. It could be purely rank-based (higher proficiency for extra dice), DC-based (try a harder DC to heal more), level-based (heal 1d8 plus 1d8 per level) or hybrid (base value based on rank plus 1d8 per level) for all we know.

Uh...they specifically said in the video it's both DC and Proficiency based (ie: you need to be Expert and make a higher DC check to get second tier healing).

The amount of healing is unknown, however, though I stand by my above analysis for almost any reasonable progression.

Liberty's Edge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Deadmanwalking wrote:
The Raven Black wrote:
Isn't that much weaker than in the playtest ?

Not per check, or not necessarily anyway. 2d8 at 1st level is significantly better than the baseline level there was in the playtest.

Per hour, it's probably weaker (we can't know for sure until we know amounts healed) given it's once an hour instead of six times, but that only matters

The Raven Black wrote:
Mundane healing being on par with magical healing for out-of-combat was a great thing. Have we lost that ?

Depends on time scale. If you have hours or days it's still as good as it ever was. If you're not doing it more than once an hour, it's as good as ever, probably better. If you were taking half an hour between every fight to heal completely, it's probably worse.

I think that's probably better for the game all things considered. It means you can rely exclusively on mundane healing, but it's a lot more time intensive than it was in the playtest, and there's much more real incentive to supplement it with magic even outside combat.

So, no healing magic means that all racing the clock stories are out ?

Won't that end up with the same problem of required magical healbot in the party that we had before ?

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Roleplaying Guild, Tales Subscriber; Pathfinder Comics Subscriber
The Raven Black wrote:
Deadmanwalking wrote:
The Raven Black wrote:
Isn't that much weaker than in the playtest ?

Not per check, or not necessarily anyway. 2d8 at 1st level is significantly better than the baseline level there was in the playtest.

Per hour, it's probably weaker (we can't know for sure until we know amounts healed) given it's once an hour instead of six times, but that only matters

The Raven Black wrote:
Mundane healing being on par with magical healing for out-of-combat was a great thing. Have we lost that ?

Depends on time scale. If you have hours or days it's still as good as it ever was. If you're not doing it more than once an hour, it's as good as ever, probably better. If you were taking half an hour between every fight to heal completely, it's probably worse.

I think that's probably better for the game all things considered. It means you can rely exclusively on mundane healing, but it's a lot more time intensive than it was in the playtest, and there's much more real incentive to supplement it with magic even outside combat.

So, no healing magic means that all racing the clock stories are out ?

Won't that end up with the same problem of required magical healbot in the party that we had before ?

Only in "race the clock" style stories. There's more stories than that.

But then of course there's magical healing items.

Liberty's Edge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
The Raven Black wrote:
So, no healing magic means that all racing the clock stories are out ?

Not necessarily, healing items exist, after all. Making such scenarios resource intensive rather than impossible.

The Raven Black wrote:
Won't that end up with the same problem of required magical healbot in the party that we had before ?

It was never really required. Some healing items will likely be handy to supplement mundane healing even if you primarily go with said mundane healing, but I think that was always a good plan. You don't always have time for a 10 minute break to do it, after all.

1 to 50 of 236 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Pathfinder / Pathfinder Second Edition / Garycon Pathfinder 2E Seminar: Did anyone attend and was anything cool revealed? All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.