PF2 Bestiary - Monster Creation Rules?


Pathfinder Second Edition General Discussion


Will the monster creation rules be included in the first release? I ask because this is absolutely crucial to me for converting my world I've been GM'ing for around 6 years, as my world has entirely unique monsters, and none of the monsters in the bestiary even exist in my world. So I absolutely must have the monster creation rules to be able to convert my world over.

Please tell me it's included.

Paizo Employee Chief Creative Officer, Publisher

14 people marked this as a favorite.

There will not be monster creation rules in the Bestiary.

There will be monster creation rules available fairly shortly thereafter.

I can't reveal more than that without spoiling other stuff we haven't announced yet.

Suffice it to say that we know these rules are very important to people and to their campaigns, and will will get them to you swiftly.

Just not in the Bestiary (mostly because we don't want to have to repeat that information every time we do a monster book, and we don't want the first monster book to be substantially more expensive than the others (because we added extra pages) or contain substantially fewer monsters (because we kept the page count the same).


Paizo Charter Superscriber; Pathfinder Companion, Pathfinder Accessories Subscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber

That is ... intriguing.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Erik Mona wrote:

There will not be monster creation rules in the Bestiary.

There will be monster creation rules available fairly shortly thereafter.

I can't reveal more than that without spoiling other stuff we haven't announced yet.

Suffice it to say that we know these rules are very important to people and to their campaigns, and will will get them to you swiftly.

Just not in the Bestiary (mostly because we don't want to have to repeat that information every time we do a monster book, and we don't want the first monster book to be substantially more expensive than the others (because we added extra pages) or contain substantially fewer monsters (because we kept the page count the same).

Thank you. This is exactly the answer I needed, to at least know it will be along SOON, and I wouldn't have to wait forever for it. My table we are wrapping up with our current system this year and, starting in August, will work on converting over the 6 years of homebrew material we have. We will be starting on PF2 officially in March of next year. I, however, hope the monster creation rules are released in time for our planned one shot game to test our conversion rules later this year.

Thank you.


FWIW, several of us posters have managed to do a pretty good job of converting PF1 monsters to playtest rules already. One imagines that if you posted a PF1 statblock people like myself could help you convert them. Assuming the gap between PF2 and the monster creation rules is too long for you.


It was ridiculously easy to make custom monsters for the Playtest. Once you had chosen their "level", that already determined like 80% of the stat block like HP, Saves, Attack bonus, AC. From there you just sprinkle in it's characteristic traits and and abilities.

I realize it's gonna be looser in the final product, but pretty sure we'r enot going back to the 1e Style.


I just hope some stuff gets fiddled with to get right the first time around. Like, I didn't like having creature sizes mixed in according to alphabetical order. I wanna look in a spot, see what it is, and go.
And I'm sure a lot of people will have questions about abilities, such as ones that let the monster attack 3 times with 2 actions. As far as multi attack penalties. And all that.
To some people it seems simple. But just to have a thing explaining with no grey areas on that sort of thing, would be great.

Also, I don't ever want to fight a hydra.

RPG Superstar 2009 Top 32

1 person marked this as a favorite.
ChibiNyan wrote:

It was ridiculously easy to make custom monsters for the Playtest. Once you had chosen their "level", that already determined like 80% of the stat block like HP, Saves, Attack bonus, AC. From there you just sprinkle in it's characteristic traits and and abilities.

I realize it's gonna be looser in the final product, but pretty sure we'r enot going back to the 1e Style.

We are going to Starfinder Style.

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

I'd rather call it "contemporary RPG style" because asymmetric PC/NPC design is pretty much the standard these days.

RPG Superstar 2009 Top 32

Gorbacz wrote:
I'd rather call it "contemporary RPG style" because asymmetric PC/NPC design is pretty much the standard these days.

True.

My point was that the specific system that PF2 is using is almost exactly the same as the system used in Starfinder.


4 people marked this as a favorite.

So happy they switched to a more sensible NPC system, I can imagine myself creating levelled characters for important NPCs still but when it comes to mooks or monsters having that level of creative freedom is absolutely awesome.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
The Gleeful Grognard wrote:
So happy they switched to a more sensible NPC system, I can imagine myself creating levelled characters for important NPCs still but when it comes to mooks or monsters having that level of creative freedom is absolutely awesome.

Same. Is it sad to say that I'm most looking forward to the NPC creation rules in this new edition? :)

Community / Forums / Pathfinder / Pathfinder Second Edition / General Discussion / PF2 Bestiary - Monster Creation Rules? All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.