5 - Borne by the Sun's Grace (GM Reference)


Tyrant's Grasp

51 to 58 of 58 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | next > last >>
Paizo Employee Developer

2 people marked this as a favorite.

Keep in mind that Tumbaja Mountain is not, in fact, a mountain, but a large stepped pyramid that looms high in local lore, as it's the source of much mythic power and the heard of the now-defunct veins of creation.


Ron Lundeen wrote:
KingTreyIII wrote:
So, what exactly are the Veins of Creation? There seems to be a bit of conflicting information about whether it's a mountain range or a massive root system of the kumaru tree.
They are the artificially created ley lines grown from the kumaru tree in Tumbaja Mountain. Think of it as a magical power grid. The whole network failed, and so local botantists have been working to set up small-scale networks, while all dream of someday reigniting the entire root system into the big magical network again.

Thank you, that is good context to know (I wasn’t 100% aware that it was an artificial ley line), but that doesn’t exactly answer my question, which arises because of the description of the Veins of Creation in the entry for Jolizpan Park:

Book 5, pg. 16 wrote:
…one of its [Jolizpan Park] attractions is the exposed rootlike structure of the Veins of Creation. This arcane network is plainly visible; each of the roots is over a foot across and consists of the same wood as the kumaru tree in Tumbaja Mountain.

Emphasis: mine.

I was under the impression that ley lines were more of a metaphysical thing (Occult Adventures describes them as “an imperceptible current of energy” [pg. 232] in their natural state), so this very obviously physical rather than metaphysical description for the Veins of Creation creates the question of what the Veins of Creation are physically rather than magically. I’m imagining a massive system of roots from the kumaru tree that spread throughout the country like a spider web and pumps magical energy through the roots to create something that acts almost identically to ley lines.

Follow-up question: How big, comparatively, is the kumaru tree to a real-world tree? I have this image of a massive redwood or something like the Great Deku Tree from The Legend of Zelda.


Hey, if we are in ask the developer questions territory here, the Wyrwood enemies in BbtSG have a really ridiculously potent modification: "Arcane Reinforcement (Ex)" (summarizable as fast healing 5, 30 extra HP, see through smoke and fog, Fire resistance 10), which is presumably a racial trait... so what's trade out for this racial trait (which apparently doesn't affect their CR either...), or is this pure flim-flammery that's not supposed to be available to PC's?

Paizo Employee Developer

2 people marked this as a favorite.
KingTreyIII wrote:
I’m imagining a massive system of roots from the kumaru tree that spread throughout the country like a spider web and pumps magical energy through the roots to create something that acts almost identically to ley lines.

Yes, you've got it right. But the roots presently have no power.

KingTreyIII wrote:

Follow-up question: How big, comparatively, is the kumaru tree to a real-world tree? I have this image of a massive redwood or something like the Great Deku Tree from The Legend of Zelda.

Big enough to fill that large open space in the center of Tumbaja Mountain.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
pad300 wrote:
or is this pure flim-flammery that's not supposed to be available to PC's?

Fast Healing 5 is not something you would ever make available to a PC as a racial ability, and the ability to see through smoke and fog is an incredibly powerful benefit that straddles the boundary of whether it's ever appropriate as a racial bonus. Definitely "not available to PC's" territory.

If that bothers you (I have a "if it's fine for the NPC's, it's fine for the PC's" outlook myself) then you could swap this out for magical items and spells that provide similar bonuses.


Ron Lundeen wrote:
KingTreyIII wrote:
I’m imagining a massive system of roots from the kumaru tree that spread throughout the country like a spider web and pumps magical energy through the roots to create something that acts almost identically to ley lines.
Yes, you've got it right. But the roots presently have no power.

Poor communication on my part; I was talking about how the Veins of Creation were prior to Aroden's death. Thanks nonetheless, Ron!

Ron Lundeen wrote:
KingTreyIII wrote:

Follow-up question: How big, comparatively, is the kumaru tree to a real-world tree? I have this image of a massive redwood or something like the Great Deku Tree from The Legend of Zelda.

Big enough to fill that large open space in the center of Tumbaja Mountain.

Redwood it is!

EDIT: Another question: since Palderren's Miasma ability acts as gaseous form, shouldn't he be unable to use his other supernatural abilities? The spell specifically calls out that you lose supernatural abilities while it's in effect, so that kinda breaks his tactics ("...the fog surges toward them, attempting to cover as many PCs as possible and use its isolation ability."), of course, he can still make use of his absolutely devastating SLAs. Although, it does create the interesting situation of "if it loses supernatural abilities while in miasma form then it would lose its miasma ability which is what's putting it in gaseous form, making the ability effectively useless" which is 100% not the RAI. (Of course, I'm arguing about the RAW, so who am I to say anything about RAI?)

Paizo Employee Developer

1 person marked this as a favorite.
pad300 wrote:
Hey, if we are in ask the developer questions territory here, the Wyrwood enemies in BbtSG have a really ridiculously potent modification: "Arcane Reinforcement (Ex)" (summarizable as fast healing 5, 30 extra HP, see through smoke and fog, Fire resistance 10), which is presumably a racial trait... so what's trade out for this racial trait (which apparently doesn't affect their CR either...), or is this pure flim-flammery that's not supposed to be available to PC's?

It is in fact not a racial trait, and not intended to be available to wyrwood PCs. By the binary nature of your question, then, you may deem it flim-flammery of the highest order. :-)


2 people marked this as a favorite.

On another topic, i've realized something about the black dragon Ravaner's Arcane plating. While it's quite convenient and fun that such plating is a bit aztec themed, the idea that it somehow "crumbles to dust" after's Istravek's demise is to me a bit poor.

But, with a bit of hindsight, it could work if made somehow relevant to the WT past and actions. Considering that those plates look like of pure gold, they could well came from the fabled Xin - Grafar, the city of golden death created by Tar Baphon while he was alive. This city was not only made of solid gold, but cursed so that "no one could carry it's gold outside" without the Tyrant's permission. I would see fit that the ravener's bodily possession would simple "float back" to the golden city after its demise.

However, i would also suggest to give this moment some kind of gravitas, by either having Tar Baphon's own voice reclaim such treasure, like saying "The spoils of a slave belong to his masters", or to actually have the WT scry over the corpse after the battle and comment over it's slave demise, and how poorly it has served his master.
By my understanding, Istravek's trip was meat to investigate on the possibility of recreate new shards from the Kumaru tree, in order to allow Baphon to spam the Radiant Fire over each of Golarion's capital city, or something like that. It's actually not spelled clear, but i believe this is the most immediate reason, since by now the WT as got half the "bullets" he started this war with. By having Baphon actually castigate the carcass, expressing such rage and contempt, would also explain why he doesn't simply mythic wish the dragon back on his feet (now or at a later point): he's not worth the honor/the cost.

This would, incidentally, not only allow the pcs to "hear" Baphon's voice for the first time, and possibly be seen and inquired about by the lich, but to allow the pcs to gain insight on the Lich's agenda. Taunts and declarations aside, this would mirror's Karzoug's "appearance" in Book 5 of Runelords, and allow the Pcs to both see and be recognized by their enemy as some kind of menace.

51 to 58 of 58 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Pathfinder / Pathfinder Adventure Path / Tyrant's Grasp / 5 - Borne by the Sun's Grace (GM Reference) All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.
Recent threads in Tyrant's Grasp