Campaign Settings


Product Discussion

Liberty's Edge

1 person marked this as a favorite.

What are your favorite 3PP campaign Settings and why?


Personally, I'm particularly fond of Frog God Games' Lost Lands campaign setting. It's easily one of the most richly-detailed settings currently available - it has individual city books longer than adventure paths - and it also supports a wide variety of game styles. Wanna explore a challenging dungeon? They've got one of the most famous in the game (Rappan Athuk). Want to explore a dangerous city? Yes. Want to explore an overworld map? Yes. Want to go plane-hopping? Yes. Want a game in a low-magic region? Yes. Want to go into an underground region? Yes. Want to have players find their own way in a sandbox based around the best home city in the game? Yes. And that's not even all there is.

If Golarion is the "little bit of everything" world, the Lost Lands is a high magic world pretending to be low magic and a pretty fun place in general to be. XD

Jon Brazer Enterprises

ShadowcatX wrote:
What are your favorite 3PP campaign Settings and why?

Shadowsfall. ;)

I created something I like.


Dragonstar.

Science-fiction D&D with lots of cool tech, politics, worlds-building and a great answer to the question "If dragons are so magically/physically/economically powerful, why don't they rule everything?"
Answer: they do.


Kobold's Press Midgard. A great dark fairy tale setting. Kobold know how to write fantasy, they just get the tropes while being original . And world is cohesive rather than hodge-podge of themes.
I use it as my base setting although planes are done a bit differently.

And I also combine Fat Goblins' Vathak with Midgard's Wasted West area to create a horror setting (and Church of the One True God that spreads in other parts of Midgard), and Storm Bunny's Rhune in the western ocean as kind of higher technology but not really on the same plane island ("a shadow away" to use Zelazny). For East I use Lost Lands as wide swathes of uninhabited, monster filled area with lower magic. (there is no China/Japan/India equivalent in my version).

Edit: While not a PF 3pp setting, I use a lot of themes from Dragon Age computer game setting, Thedas. It blends nicely with things above.

Liberty's Edge

Bjørn Røyrvik wrote:

Dragonstar.

Science-fiction D&D with lots of cool tech, politics, worlds-building and a great answer to the question "If dragons are so magically/physically/economically powerful, why don't they rule everything?"
Answer: they do.

Did this ever actually get updated to Pathfinder? I remember Dragonstar from 3rd edition.


Kobold Press' Midgard is my favorite after Golarion. I recently completed Courts of the Shadow Fey based in Midgard and fell in love with the setting.

Dark Archive

Of the 3.5 3rd-party settings to get some PF treatment, both the Scarred Lands (from White Wolf) and Freeport (from Green Ronin) settings are favorites of mine. (Particularly, for Freeport, if they ever got around to folding in the other components of the 'Green Ronin implied campaign setting' like Hamunaptra and Naranjan and some of the rich world-building that went into books like Plot & Poison).


ShadowcatX wrote:
Bjørn Røyrvik wrote:

Dragonstar.

Science-fiction D&D with lots of cool tech, politics, worlds-building and a great answer to the question "If dragons are so magically/physically/economically powerful, why don't they rule everything?"
Answer: they do.

Did this ever actually get updated to Pathfinder? I remember Dragonstar from 3rd edition.

I know some folks on the DS mailing list were in the process of doing some updates to PF when it first launched, but I fell out of contact with them soon after. I don't think there has been a comprehensive update, and I've searched moderately thoroughly. It has been a while since I last searched, so something may have come up in the mean time.


Adventure Path Charter Subscriber; Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Companion, Maps, Modules, Pawns, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

For PF, Lost Lands (FGG) and Oathbound (Bastion Press/Epidemic Books).

Both are full of adventure opportunity.

However, my all-time favorite 3PP is the Wilderlands using the Wilderlands Box set from Necromancer Games (for D&D 3.5).

Liberty's Edge

I haven't mentioned my own. I think if I had to choose I would choose Oathbound Seven over all the other 3rd party campaign Settings with the scarred lands (from 3.5, not the PF "conversion") as a close second.

I'm intrigued by campaign Settings though. Thank you all for your suggestions so far and keep them coming.


Set wrote:
Of the 3.5 3rd-party settings to get some PF treatment, both the Scarred Lands (from White Wolf) and Freeport (from Green Ronin) settings are favorites of mine. (Particularly, for Freeport, if they ever got around to folding in the other components of the 'Green Ronin implied campaign setting' like Hamunaptra and Naranjan and some of the rich world-building that went into books like Plot & Poison).

Freeport's my favorite as well, and has been ever since Death in Freeport.

I'd love to see more about updating the "World of Freeport" titles to PF, too, but many of those books would be huge projects to convert (particularly Mindshadows, which showcased psionics, and included a couple non-OGC monsters with Wizards' permission).


I actually jammed Freeport into Mystara. I put it off the Savage Coast, near the Baronies. It fits surprisingly well, with a few small modifications.

Dark Archive

Bjørn Røyrvik wrote:
I actually jammed Freeport into Mystara. I put it off the Savage Coast, near the Baronies. It fits surprisingly well, with a few small modifications.

It's conveniently modular that way. I used it in Greyhawk, replacing the Olman Isle, IIRC, down at the southern side of the Azure Sea, where it turned into the Densac Gulf.

Plus the Iovan Gnomes, what a fun twist on a local 'core' race!


I once thought of trying to make Pathfinder versions of the races of [u]Uresia: Grave of Heaven[/u].


Razor Coast.

Liberty's Edge

Was mindshadows the skill based psionics system? That intrigued me when I looked at it but I picked up a different book on that trip and never ended up getting it.


ShadowcatX wrote:
Was mindshadows the skill based psionics system? That intrigued me when I looked at it but I picked up a different book on that trip and never ended up getting it.

Mindshadows was a setting book for the continent of Naranjan, a few weeks' sail from Freeport. It used standard psionics rules, and had a companion book, Monsters of the Mind, which was a psionic bestiary.

You might be thinking of The Psychic's Handbook (also by Green Ronin), which presented a feat- and skill-based system for psychic abilities. I haven't read that book, only the Advanced Player's Manual, which included a somewhat condensed version of them for 3.5.

Paizo Employee Organized Play Developer

Rhune: Dawn of Twilight is one of my favorites. I really like the "stormpunk" flavor.

Cerulean Seas Campaign Setting was the very first Pathfinder book I ever bought, and it's what made me decide to convert my group at the time over from 4E. Still a great book even now.

Aethera is a really fun sci-fan campaign setting, though honestly I haven't used it much since I mostly play Starfinder for sci-fan. Still a really great book to pick up if you happen to be using Pathfinder rules with the Technology Guide.

Southlands is a really pretty campaign setting full of interesting materials. It's technically part of the Midgard Campaign Setting, I believe, but I tend to just drop it into whatever broader world I'm already using with a given group, or just as a standalone setting.

This last one has some qualifications to my recommendation, as further detailed in my review on its product page. That being said [url=https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/116268/Wicked-Fantasy-Full-Book?affiliate_id=435758]Wicked Fantasy[/i] has some really cool and intriguing world building. It is, to this day, the only book of that size I've ever read cover to cover in a single sitting.

Community / Forums / Pathfinder / Pathfinder RPG / Third-Party Pathfinder RPG Products / Product Discussion / Campaign Settings All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.