PFS 10-10 The Shattered Shield


GM Discussion

Grand Lodge 4/5 Regional Venture-Coordinator, Great Lakes aka TwilightKnight

One of the items from the auction is a minor staff of healing. After looking through the scenario, HeroLab, and searching online we cannot find this item listed anywhere. Is it an editing error?

Silver Crusade 5/5

I'd also like to know if the Mummy Saves is an editing error. I agree with the reviews that arbitrarily raising the DC to 19 is a pretty sleazy thing to do :-).

Paizo Employee Organized Play Developer

Paul Jackson wrote:
I'd also like to know if the Mummy Saves is an editing error. I agree with the reviews that arbitrarily raising the DC to 19 is a pretty sleazy thing to do :-).

It's not arbitrary. The save DC is Charisma based, and the gold-clad template increases the mummy's Charisma score. The formula for Despair's DC is (10 + 1/2 HD + Cha mod). on a standard mummy that's 10 + 4 + 2 = 16. On the gold-clad mummy it's 10 + 4 + 5 = 19.

Paizo Employee Organized Play Developer

Bob Jonquet wrote:
One of the items from the auction is a minor staff of healing. After looking through the scenario, HeroLab, and searching online we cannot find this item listed anywhere. Is it an editing error?

I need to touch bases with John on this one, but based on the name and starting price my inclination is that it was probably intended to be a staff of minor arcana. I'll post an official clarification once I've had a chance to verify.

5/5 Venture-Agent, California—San Francisco Bay Area North & East aka Pirate Rob

A staff of minor arcana makes little sense at a secret Rahadoumi religous artifact auction...

While a custom made staff of minor healing sounds perfect...

Paizo Employee Organized Play Developer

Pirate Rob wrote:

A staff of minor arcana makes little sense at a secret Rahadoumi religous artifact auction...

While a custom made staff of minor healing sounds perfect...

You are correct!

Talked this over with John and it should be custom staff at caster level 8 (10 charges, of course) with cure moderate wounds for 1 charge and lesser restoration for 2 charges.

At this point in time that staff is only available during the scenario.

Grand Lodge 4/5 Regional Venture-Coordinator, Great Lakes aka TwilightKnight

So unless the GM reads this thread before running it, the item is completely useless. Either the scenario needs to be updated to include the stats or it needs to be added to the chronicle sheet. Of course the latter is preferred, but the former is necessary

Paizo Employee Organized Play Developer

Bob Jonquet wrote:
So unless the GM reads this thread before running it, the item is completely useless. Either the scenario needs to be updated to include the stats or it needs to be added to the chronicle sheet. Of course the latter is preferred, but the former is necessary

There is an ongoing discussion as to the best way to resolve this. Given the number of Chronicle sheets that have already been handed out, it's unclear whether a Chronicle sheet update is the best move since it creates the issue that the bulk of the players have already played it and have the previous Chronicle sheets; there's no consistent and reliable way to know at this point whether a given group could have or should have received it.

Silver Crusade 5/5

Michael Sayre wrote:
Paul Jackson wrote:
I'd also like to know if the Mummy Saves is an editing error. I agree with the reviews that arbitrarily raising the DC to 19 is a pretty sleazy thing to do :-).
It's not arbitrary. The save DC is Charisma based, and the gold-clad template increases the mummy's Charisma score. The formula for Despair's DC is (10 + 1/2 HD + Cha mod). on a standard mummy that's 10 + 4 + 2 = 16. On the gold-clad mummy it's 10 + 4 + 5 = 19.

And raising the Charisma wasn't arbitrary?

Then I agree with the reviews that think this was an atrocious thing to do, especially for a low tier adventure (low tier adventures attract newbies)

DC 19 will saves is just asking for TPKs. At this level +8 is a pretty darn good save and even that gives you only a 50/50 shot. Many characters are going to have something closer to +2 and failure is all but automatic.

Grand Lodge 4/5 Regional Venture-Coordinator, Great Lakes aka TwilightKnight

I disagree. There is an argument to be made whether or not the 19 is too high for the challenge, it’s not arbitrary. There is a template applied with specific rules so there is a rules-based reason for it. Arbitrary would be increasing the Cha simply because you wanted the monster to have a higher value. I’m in favor of variety and variants as long as it is based within the rules. I’m completely against the latter since that easily gets out of hand and breaks the CR balance system even more than it can already be.

Grand Lodge 5/5 Venture-Captain, Arizona—Phoenix aka TriOmegaZero

Fascinating scenario from the players side. I'll have to take some time to review it on the GM side and see how accurate the reviews are. It doesn't sound like they are too far off the mark.

Dark Archive 4/5

Pathfinder Starfinder Society Subscriber

I ran this this weekend and my players did fine. Paralyzed some, gave one a curse... But my favorite part was that since they played up:

Spoiler:
i had the witch use her fly hex after turning invisible. She flew up and out the broken ceiling. They figured out how she got out of the room when I misfortunes someone in the final fight.

I was a happy GM.

Grand Lodge 2/5 Venture-Agent, Wisconsin—Dickeyville aka Yorgi

I have questions on Abbashin's bidding behavior during the auction (assuming that he does not leave prior to it starting).

The scenario implies that he is really interested in the golden statue of RA, but is also interested in bidding on two earlier items in the auction order. Wouldn't he have maximum amounts less than his entire 10,000 gp in starting funds that he would be willing to bid on the two other items so as to save at least 5,000 gp to be able to make the starting bid on the statue?

The scenario does not indicate any maximum bids or bidding limits for an item other than a bidder's total remaining funds. As GM, can I put limits on Abbashin's bidding on the first two items in order for him to save funds for the third?


Im about to do it tonight and i had the same question regarding the bidding

Paizo Employee Organized Play Developer

Andy Collins wrote:
As GM, can I put limits on Abbashin's bidding on the first two items in order for him to save funds for the third?

Yes.

Liberty's Edge 4/5

Michael Sayre wrote:
Bob Jonquet wrote:
So unless the GM reads this thread before running it, the item is completely useless. Either the scenario needs to be updated to include the stats or it needs to be added to the chronicle sheet. Of course the latter is preferred, but the former is necessary
There is an ongoing discussion as to the best way to resolve this. Given the number of Chronicle sheets that have already been handed out, it's unclear whether a Chronicle sheet update is the best move since it creates the issue that the bulk of the players have already played it and have the previous Chronicle sheets; there's no consistent and reliable way to know at this point whether a given group could have or should have received it.

What would be the price for the staff if it was on the chronicle sheet? Should the Weeping Torment be on the chronicle sheet as well?

Dark Archive 4/5 Venture-Agent, Australia—QLD—Brisbane aka YogoZuno

We also ended up with some questions during our run...if the auction does not proceed, can the players actually use the promissory notes for any other purpose? Is there anything preventing the use of the promissory notes for spending on items or spellcasting services elsewhere? Are there any consequences for doing so?

4/5 Venture-Agent, Massachusetts—Southcoast aka JDDyslexia

Michael Clarke wrote:
We also ended up with some questions during our run...if the auction does not proceed, can the players actually use the promissory notes for any other purpose? Is there anything preventing the use of the promissory notes for spending on items or spellcasting services elsewhere? Are there any consequences for doing so?

I would rule they are not. While business organizations (legitimate or not) may recognize the Pathfinder Society, I would argue a temple or wizard school or street vendor probably wouldn't accept them.

Dark Archive 4/5 Venture-Agent, Finland—Turku aka Tomppa

I really hope the staff of healing, minor, would get added to the sheet. Or at least if we got a permission to write it's stats on the sheet. Cool and useful staves are so rare and normally so expensive.

I imagine it would probably cost 8800, cl8, 10 charges, 1 charge for cure moderate, 2 charges for lesser restoration.

Would not even take much work (for a GM) to add it to the loot...

The Exchange

Hello I'm prepping to run this at a Con next weekend, I noticed in Venture Captain Obo opening remarks he does not mention Pure Legion, how are the Pathfinders supposed to ask about it?

Thanks

Paizo Employee Organized Play Developer

Hubie Marston wrote:

Hello I'm prepping to run this at a Con next weekend, I noticed in Venture Captain Obo opening remarks he does not mention Pure Legion, how are the Pathfinders supposed to ask about it?

Thanks

The Pure Legion is referenced both in Obo's reply to inquiries about the Sacred Cobra Auction House, in the information he gives the PCs if they assist him in completing his game, and in the information he grants them if they ask for more information about Rahadoum (as described on pages 5 and 6.)

4/5 Venture-Agent, Netherlands—Utrecht aka Quentin Coldwater

Does anyone know why the reviews of this scenario aren't visible? The review page is empty, but I can find them if I know who wrote the review and look at their reviews page.

I don't want to suggest Paizo is censoring its content, but it only seems to happen to this particular (not very well-received) scenario.

Grand Lodge 5/5 Venture-Captain, Arizona—Phoenix aka TriOmegaZero

I'd suggest that Paizo's website sucks rather than active censoring.

2/5

Starfinder Charter Superscriber

I did post about this in website feedback—-I think multiple Season 10 scenarios are/were affected.

Community / Forums / Organized Play / GM Discussion / PFS 10-10 The Shattered Shield All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.
Recent threads in GM Discussion