DungeonmasterCal's House of Respite


Off-Topic Discussions

201 to 250 of 3,841 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>

4 people marked this as a favorite.
Limeylongears wrote:
Do they also sell guns and 'malt liquor' there?

Probably not.

But... I was driving through the great state of Wyoming once and saw a drive-through liquor and gun store. I'm not going to lie: a tear welled up in my eye and I sang a little patriotic hymn. Sadly, I was a brokeass college student and could afford neither liquor nor guns. Wasn't even my car. Ah, lost youth...


3 people marked this as a favorite.

That's about how I felt when I stopped for gas once in North Carolina and saw a cold vending machine that only sold different kinds of bait in little tins.
I was in the middle of a long road trip, didn't have any rod or tackle (or a license) and hadn't fished in over a dozen years, but all I wanted in the world at that moment was to take a break and go fishing, because America.


5 people marked this as a favorite.
lisamarlene wrote:
That's about how I felt when I stopped for gas once in North Carolina and saw a cold vending machine that only sold different kinds of bait in little tins.

O MY GOD THOSE WERE BAIT TINS?!

I thought it was the world's worst sushi vending machine.

I think I'm going to hurl...


5 people marked this as a favorite.

I'm just picturing a cop throwing a ghillie suit over a squad car and camping out across the street from a drive-thru liquor store.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Paizo Superscriber; Pathfinder Companion, Pathfinder Accessories, Starfinder Accessories, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber

Europeans sure have strange views about the US.


5 people marked this as a favorite.
Ed Reppert wrote:
Europeans sure have strange views about the US.

So I grew up internationally, and in my experience, EVERYBODY has strange views about EVERYBODY else. It’s like one of those cultural universals.


4 people marked this as a favorite.
Ed Reppert wrote:
Europeans sure have strange views about the US.

If that's in response to me, I'm American. Just a weird one.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

I used to know someone from the Netherlands who, when she saw the news about Hurricane Katrina, was shocked when she saw how poor parts of New Orleans was. She, like much of the world, had no idea how much extreme poverty existed in America.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

That holds true for most countries - just watch the news around any Olympics host. There will be a big push to make the city look as though their poverty issues aren't there.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

I remember reading when the Olympics were held in Brazil whole shanty towns were forcibly emptied to make room for the facilities. Terrible stuff.

Ah well, I started a buzz kill so now I think I'll stop with the depressing stuff...lol

Thinking of running my group through a "Land of the Lost" sort of scenario, one that will last for a few sessions. I won't go into the details of the campaign as a whole, but I've sort of painted myself into a corner and I think this, or another dimension where time doesn't flow the same as the Prime Material's does, will help solve the problem.


4 people marked this as a favorite.

Ooo! I like it.

And when/if they get back to their regular time stream, you can have fun with the historical jump. I once had a PC discover that he’d been presumed dead as a martyr and now there was a whole order of paladins dedicated to him as a saint... with the predictable mangling (or outright manufacturing) of his Deeds & Sayings.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
DungeonmasterCal wrote:
I used to know someone from the Netherlands who, when she saw the news about Hurricane Katrina, was shocked when she saw how poor parts of New Orleans was. She, like much of the world, had no idea how much extreme poverty existed in America.

But... but...

America! The land of wealth and plenty!


1 person marked this as a favorite.
quibblemuch wrote:

Ooo! I like it.

And when/if they get back to their regular time stream, you can have fun with the historical jump. I once had a PC discover that he’d been presumed dead as a martyr and now there was a whole order of paladins dedicated to him as a saint... with the predictable mangling (or outright manufacturing) of his Deeds & Sayings.

That's brilliant!


Paizo Superscriber; Pathfinder Companion, Pathfinder Accessories, Starfinder Accessories, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber
Scintillae wrote:
Ed Reppert wrote:
Europeans sure have strange views about the US.
If that's in response to me, I'm American. Just a weird one.

It wasn't. I liked your idea. :-)


3 people marked this as a favorite.
Thomas Seitz wrote:
All I know is 30th is the Circumcision of Christ in some religious sectors.

I tried to direct a movie about The Circumcision of Christ, but I kept yelling “CUT!” and it turned into a fakakta bloodbath.


3 people marked this as a favorite.

Damn you. Now I have to pick all these meds up from the floor.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Heh heh heh... success...


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Nurse Rached is going to be so pissed off.


Ed Reppert wrote:
Europeans sure have strange views about the US.

When I was in college (Trevecca Nazarene College in Nashville, TN) there was a foreign exchange student from Jamaica. He was so impressed with all the glitz and glamour of Nashville. That first term he said, "America is so much fun, so much to do, so much to see." It only took him till the end of the school year, "America what bunch materialistic money grubbers." He was soured and disillusioned with America and all its people. I felt like quoting Yoda, "This is my home it is."


I admit to nothing. Also I've only eaten at Hardee's twice. That was enough.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

Last night, my mother complained that her pillow went flat. I said, "That's what happens when you leave the can open."


Next time I suggest she get someone to inflate it.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

I'll suggest that. :D

Shadow Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Dizzydoo42 wrote:
Ed Reppert wrote:
Europeans sure have strange views about the US.
When I was in college (Trevecca Nazarene College in Nashville, TN) there was a foreign exchange student from Jamaica. He was so impressed with all the glitz and glamour of Nashville. That first term he said, "America is so much fun, so much to do, so much to see." It only took him till the end of the school year, "America what bunch materialistic money grubbers." He was soured and disillusioned with America and all its people. I felt like quoting Yoda, "This is my home it is."

Pretty much. As I've said elsewhere, I don't have any particular patriotism or loyalty to my country, I just live here 'cause I was born here and moving elsewhere is expensive.


Eagleland! Land of the brave! Home of the eagles! We're so awesome they named gridiron football after us and now Canada has to live with that. Ha! Take that Canada! I think Football Canada joined the International Federation of American Football because they were jealous of our eleven player teams, which are clearly superior. Two dozen players on the field! Can you match that? Didn't think so, Canada. Get on our level.

Oh yeah! Can you smell the patriotism? Can you smell it? Makes you want to go murder people to protect American business interests, don't it? Boo ya! Murder! Football! Murder football! Yeah!

*wanders off committing acts of patriotism, like lighting cars on fire*


Orthos wrote:
Dizzydoo42 wrote:
Ed Reppert wrote:
Europeans sure have strange views about the US.
When I was in college (Trevecca Nazarene College in Nashville, TN) there was a foreign exchange student from Jamaica. He was so impressed with all the glitz and glamour of Nashville. That first term he said, "America is so much fun, so much to do, so much to see." It only took him till the end of the school year, "America what bunch materialistic money grubbers." He was soured and disillusioned with America and all its people. I felt like quoting Yoda, "This is my home it is."
Pretty much. As I've said elsewhere, I don't have any particular patriotism or loyalty to my country, I just live here 'cause I was born here and moving elsewhere is expensive.

I 100% love my country, and it's not at all because it's public knowledge the NSA is watching us, and I don't want to be dragged away to some patriotism camp when the country becomes even more despotic than it currently is. Nope. That's not the reason at all that I totally love my country.

America isn't a totally horrible place, but it's far from perfect. I think Daniel Tosh said it best. "We're top ten."

Did I mention I love my country, NSA? Please don't drag me away. I'm not a threat.


3 people marked this as a favorite.

Hey guys, we're straying into the political arena here. Please be patriotic all you want but keep it low key. We don't want to get this new pad in trouble so soon.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

So what’s everyone doing for NewYear’s?

New Year’s Eve I got nothing going on, but that day is our weekly gaming day and since everyone is off work, we’re meeting at noon instead of 6:00. There will be serpentfolk, I expect, based on recent events.


A few people coming over to the house Monday night. Nothing big. Probably won't game, since the Giantslayer group is getting together for the 5th-6th.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
captain yesterday wrote:
The same thing I do every night.

The General has to be a very happy woman. ;)


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber

The same thing I do every night.


3 people marked this as a favorite.

Try to take over the world?


1 person marked this as a favorite.

When we're in Texas for New Years Eve, we like to go see this great jazz orchestra play at an old art deco theater with a big dance floor in my Mother in law's neighborhood. But we're probably not going this year.


Probably going to order a pizza, swing by Redbox for something to watch (or just get on Steam), and go to bed about two hours before 2019 comes to bend us all over.

...I'm not good at parties.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Vanykrye wrote:
captain yesterday wrote:
The same thing I do every night.
The General has to be a very happy woman. ;)

Ha! Start off the new year with a bang, as it were.

Shadow Lodge

Staying home and playing video games and/or reading. I'm off work from tonight through Wed morning.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Paizo Superscriber; Pathfinder Companion, Pathfinder Accessories, Starfinder Accessories, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber

Home. Reading, maybe watching Netflix or Amazon Prime.

"My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right." -- General Carl Schurz, Senator from Missouri, remarks to the US Senate, February 1872.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

Eh, no plans for the New Year's Eve thing. In college, I was the greatest party thrower on campus. I must have gotten it all out of my system then. Now I just want to be left alone to go to bed at 9...LOL

Grand Lodge

Pathfinder Adventure, Rulebook Subscriber; Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber

It's been non-stop board games with my parents while they are in town. I imagine we'll do much the same on New Years, although I might see if there is a movie we could all watch together. They haven't kept up on the MCU, otherwise I'd say we could watch something there. Maybe Ant-Man, that doesn't take much buy-in.


We get home around midnight on the 30th after 8 days and Whingey Wizzard has to work all day the 31st and the 1st, so what will likely happen is:
31st: throw the kids in the car in their jammies impossibly early and drive WW to work.
Take kids in jammies to Winco and Kroger to restock groceries.
Give them breakfast, start a loaf of bread dough to rise and a crock pot of Hoppin' John to simmer, and then meet grandma at the Arboretum for the "noon drop" party in the children's garden.
Go back and pick up WW from work.
Go home and play board games or watch movies and crash early.
Then on the 1st, throw the kids in the car in their jammies, take WW to work, then at 2, go to a small party with a bunch of old college friends who still live out by the university (about an hour away if there's no traffic), then go pick up WW from work.
Which will be bittersweet; I haven't seen any of them since we moved back, except for my old roommate, who came the day we arrived to help us unload the truck in the 109 heat. But they're all in a vastly different tax bracket with better homes, better cars, better lives. And they all had kids much earlier than we did, so most of their offspring are either in high school, college, or the military (and one is already engaged), and here I am with a 5 and a 7 year old. So not like we have much in common anymore since our old chain-smoking-at-Denny's-till-two-a.m.-talking-about-our-screenplays days.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

I'm working on New Year's Eve. I have to find a way to get home that doesn't involve going through Downtown Pittsburgh. It's always a madhouse.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Mostly I go to my FLGS and watch them blow up the Death Star in A New Hope to ring in the new year.

This year they suggested we end with the Thanos Snap.

Honestly I'm down for either.

Also if people want to discuss politics, PMs are good for that.


One of the FLGS' in my city bought out the other one and is now in a much larger and superior location. I thought they'd have some sort of New Year's thingy (they're always running some sort of card tourney) but they plan to be closed Monday and Tuesday. I had kind of hoped to get my group to play there for the holiday but that's not gonna happen.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber
The Vagrant Erudite wrote:
Vanykrye wrote:
captain yesterday wrote:
The same thing I do every night.
The General has to be a very happy woman. ;)
Ha! Start off the new year with a bang, as it were.

I spent over a hundred dollars at Victoria's Secret for Christmas, it's been more of a week and a half type of situation.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Thomas Seitz wrote:

Mostly I go to my FLGS and watch them blow up the Death Star in A New Hope to ring in the new year.

This year they suggested we end with the Thanos Snap.

Honestly I'm down for either.

Also if people want to discuss politics, PMs are good for that.

Oh, that's what the P is for.


3 people marked this as a favorite.

Woooo! Panic attack with no known trigger! Just suddenly freaking out for no reason! Woooo!


2 people marked this as a favorite.
DungeonmasterCal wrote:
Woooo! Panic attack with no known trigger! Just suddenly freaking out for no reason! Woooo!

Wooo! Go panic, go panic, it’s yer birfday, go panic!

*does Panic Dance*

Just remember, this is the result of systems evolved to keep you safe in a dangerous world. And evolution is a f!#!ing a$~&%~* who refuses to admit that there haven’t been leopards trying to kill us for YEARS. F$%$ing evolution...


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Crap. Now I'm worried about leopards ambushing me from my sock drawer.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

On a more serious note, someone recently recommended I try putting a cold wet cloth on the back of my neck when I get hyperanxious.

I punched them and felt way better. So, in a way, it works.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

I don't like getting wet and I certainly don't like cold and wet (though winter is my favorite time of year. Go figure) so I'll just rely on Dr. Xanax to get me through it. And this chair. And this tv remote. And this paddle ball game. I don't need anything else. Oh, and this ashtray, and my dog $(*&head.

201 to 250 of 3,841 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Gamer Life / Off-Topic Discussions / DungeonmasterCal's House of Respite All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.