DungeonmasterCal's House of Respite


Off-Topic Discussions

101 to 150 of 4,367 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>

1 person marked this as a favorite.
DungeonmasterCal wrote:
I can't speak for John, but I want my unicorn to be coal black and shooting fire from its horn!

Man, without the fire ('cause... ouch!) that sounds cool!

I'd stick with the healing powers, though. I need those for my family.


TriOmegaZero wrote:
That’s...not a unicorn.

Close enough!


1 person marked this as a favorite.

So honestly I keep running through my head how I want "Let's Kill Krampus" to start...and after watching the 2015 and also "Tales of Christmas" I honestly am thinking of either letting the players make 15th level PCs...or just pre-made ones.

John,

Suggestions on which you think would work best for GASP?

Shadow Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Tacticslion wrote:
TriOmegaZero wrote:
That’s...not a unicorn.
Close enough!

I was thinking of this one.

Dark Archive

5 people marked this as a favorite.
quibblemuch wrote:
What if there was a book that was about drinking beer while cooking while swordfighting? Because if there were, it'd be awesome. And if not, I'll get right on that.

Now I half want to see a cooking show hosted by a crotchety drunken swordfighter who belligerently challenges their guests to duels over differences of taste or opinions on how to cook various regional dishes.

Cayden's Cookery? Rated R for violence and strong language.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

If Jackie Chan's drunken boxing movie is any indication, this is a great idea!


7 people marked this as a favorite.
Set wrote:
quibblemuch wrote:
What if there was a book that was about drinking beer while cooking while swordfighting? Because if there were, it'd be awesome. And if not, I'll get right on that.

Now I half want to see a cooking show hosted by a crotchety drunken swordfighter who belligerently challenges their guests to duels over differences of taste or opinions on how to cook various regional dishes.

Cayden's Cookery? Rated R for violence and strong language.

Swordin’ Ramsay?


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Thomas Seitz wrote:

So honestly I keep running through my head how I want "Let's Kill Krampus" to start...and after watching the 2015 and also "Tales of Christmas" I honestly am thinking of either letting the players make 15th level PCs...or just pre-made ones.

John,

Suggestions on which you think would work best for GASP?

Well PFS is big. If you want to run a separate game, find a table and get a "looking for players sign.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber
Set wrote:
quibblemuch wrote:
What if there was a book that was about drinking beer while cooking while swordfighting? Because if there were, it'd be awesome. And if not, I'll get right on that.

Now I half want to see a cooking show hosted by a crotchety drunken swordfighter who belligerently challenges their guests to duels over differences of taste or opinions on how to cook various regional dishes.

Cayden's Cookery? Rated R for violence and strong language.

The Cajun Cook, that's the show for you!


3 people marked this as a favorite.

My GF loves to watch "Pioneer Woman". First time I heard of it I expected to see someone cooking opossums and prairie dogs to feed a starving family of sodbusters. But no, it's a wealthy family of farmers who eat like kings. Talk about disappointing.


3 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber

PBS used to have a show where they had a bunch of tech dependent douchebags live like the original colonists.


5 people marked this as a favorite.
DungeonmasterCal wrote:
My GF loves to watch "Pioneer Woman". First time I heard of it I expected to see someone cooking opossums and prairie dogs to feed a starving family of sodbusters. But no, it's a wealthy family of farmers who eat like kings. Talk about disappointing.

RIGHT?!

They don't even waylay a snowbound party of travelers and cannibalize them in a balsamic reduction. What. The. Hell? #falseadvertising


2 people marked this as a favorite.

Also, "Swordin' Ramsey" is going in my annual review.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
captain yesterday wrote:
PBS used to have a show where they had a bunch of tech dependent douchebags live like the original colonists.

I remember the show, though I never watched it.


3 people marked this as a favorite.
quibblemuch wrote:
Also, "Swordin' Ramsey" is going in my annual review.

Good, because that one made me de-cornflake earlier.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Orthos wrote:
Tacticslion wrote:
TriOmegaZero wrote:
That’s...not a unicorn.
Close enough!
I was thinking of this one.

I was thinking Robot Unicorn Attack (and the metal variant), but I won’t link that because people got stuff to do.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
John Napier 698 wrote:
Thomas Seitz wrote:

So honestly I keep running through my head how I want "Let's Kill Krampus" to start...and after watching the 2015 and also "Tales of Christmas" I honestly am thinking of either letting the players make 15th level PCs...or just pre-made ones.

John,

Suggestions on which you think would work best for GASP?

Well PFS is big. If you want to run a separate game, find a table and get a "looking for players sign.

This is not a PFS game. This is more me brewing up stuff that has Pathfinder in it. But sure. I'll make a sign. I guess though should I get pre-made PCs or not is more the question...


2 people marked this as a favorite.

Do the Pregen PCs.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

I'm with John on the Pregen PCs, though I would alter some of their equipment to make them better armed and defended against the attacks by Krampus.


5 people marked this as a favorite.

Black unicorn spewing fire from its horn... Sort of. Should be close enough. No backsies.


3 people marked this as a favorite.

Cal,

Don't worry! I will give them not just the amount given for their level (15th, so 240,000 gp), but maybe a few extras. It depends on if people want Pre-gens. But I will make them available IF people want them. Also I think for this episode, Krampus will be kind of like the Minotaur of Greek Legend, trapped in a special cave, but once free it's all "End of the World stuff" At least until the 6th Day of Abadius. ;)

John,

Thanks.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Drejk wrote:
Black unicorn spewing fire from its horn... Sort of. Should be close enough. No backsies.

How cool! I've been making up a creature with the same name in my head for a long time.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

No problem, Tom.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
DungeonmasterCal wrote:
I'm with John on the Pregen PCs, though I would alter some of their equipment to make them better armed and defended against the attacks by Krampus.

EDIT: Oh! You already decided. NEVERMIND! ... but I'm leaving this posted, 'cause I wrote it! XD

One thing you can do, though, is use the PreGens, but then ignore their biography, or give several potential biographies per "build."

So, for example:

- Barbarian (use the stats)
-> Amiri the female human (as printed)
-> Bakurai the male human (as printed; he's a Ronin or something)
-> Krusk the half-orc (maybe lose a skill point and feat, gain darkvision and scary face; he's the dude from 3rd edition)
-> Happy the female Halfling (don't make her angry; you wouldn't like her when she's angry; alt: "there was a little girl; she had a little curl; in her forhead; when she was good, she was very, very good; when she was bad, she was horrid")

- Cleric (use the stats)
-> Kyra the female human (as printed)
-> Lyle the male human (as printed)
-> Lyca the female half-elf (she loses a skill, trades a feat for skill focus, gains lowlight vision and elf resistances)
-> Micky the male ratfolk (he always wears red shorts and white gloves, is a devotee of Abadar and is obsessed with both looking family-friendly and making mad bank er, I mean, "quality entertainment" - yeah... he's totally a Prophet of Kalistrade, but sssshhhhh)

- Fighter (use the stats)
-> Valeros the male human (as printed)
-> Valerii the female elf (you lose a feat, gain elf-stuff, and keep the skill because high intelligence)
-> Wooby the breakfast snack Ghoran (you'll never eat him aliiiiiivvve!)
-> Xena, Warrior Princess, the female human (IALALALALALALALALALALAAA~!)

- Paladin (use the stats)
-> Seelah the female human (as printed)
-> Titus the male human (as printed)
-> Ugway the male gnome (lose a skill and a feat for gnome stuff)
-> Venus the female aasimar (forced to take up the blade, this beauty desires nothing but peace and prosperity for all; optional: Aasimar-specific thingy; bonus alterante paladin code)

- Rogue (use the stats)
-> Merisiel the female elf (as printed)
-> Mirianuwae the male elf (as printed)
-> Nigel the male Halfling (lose elf stuff, gain Halfling stuff)
-> Ovelia the female Half orc (lose elf stuff, gain darkvision and scary-face; bonus: Ninja ALT class!; she really just wanted Hammy to love her forever, you guys, she's not crazy, YOU'RE CRAZY AHAHAHAHAHAHAH~!)

- Wizard (use the stats)
-> Ezren the male human (as printed)
-> Gurtana the female human (as printed)
-> Iria the female dhampir (lose feat and skill, gain dhampir stuff)
-> Kangaroo the male goblin (his mother was very confused)

- Alchemist (use the base stats)
-> Damiel the hamiel I don't even know what happened there male alchemist (as printed)
-> Dame the female elf (as printed; also has a minor nobility from Ustalav, probably)
-> Fever the female Fetchling (okay, look, yeah, it's just for the alliteration)
-> Horace the male human (he's from Katapesh, y'all!)

- Gunslinger
-> Lirianne the female half-elf (as printed)
-> Mikialo the male half-elf (as printed)
-> Nori the female human (gain a skill point, lose elf defense and lowlight vision)
-> Ori the male oread (he learned his craft within a mysterious locale called the "Blind Forest" and no, I've no idea how accurate this is to the game, the name is the full extent of the reference)

- Magus
-> Seltyiel the male half-elf (as printed)
-> Sylde'lei the female half-elf (as printed)
-> Tyran the male kobold (small size, trade half-elf for kobold)
-> Yandere the female half-orc (SHE LOVES YOU SO MUCH YOU JUST DON'T UNDERSTAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAND)

- Summoner
-> Balazar the male gnome (as printed)
-> Credescheya the female gnome (as printed)
-> Dipper the male Undine (you could say I'm "double dipping" on this one! A-heh~!)
-> Esther the female human (gain a bonus feat and extra skill)

- Vigilante
-> The Red Raven the male human (as printed)
-> The Kamen Green Rider the female human (as printed)
-> The Blue Rodent the female ratfolk (lose human things, gain ratfolk things)
-> The Violet Viper the male drow (he will no longer stand for the demonic plague afflicting his people!)

- Witch
-> Feiya the female human (as printed)
-> Gelim the male human (as printed)
-> Hosik the male android (lose a skill and feat; gain android stuff)
-> Jezzina the female Changeling (she is fleeing from her actual mother, and Desna's (or whoever's) intervention prevented her from falling into hagdom; she specializes in "coven"- or "hag"-style hexes, and may have the dreamweaver archetype; possibly a Lashuntan Changeling, which is identical to a standard one, but looks like a Lashuntan female)

That's not every class - not even close! - but it gives you a smattering with occasional (vague, but accurate) mechanical changes, and a sample backstory change for each character.

You don't have to do this, but the reason I'm suggesting have alternate versions of each character (even if, like I showed with each, the only actual blank on a sheet is the name and sex) so that people can kind of fill in their own concept and aren't forced to play something they don't want.

EDIT: Oh! The other option, of course, is you change the race, sex, and literally everything, but just ignore any mechanical differences.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Drejk wrote:
Black unicorn spewing fire from its horn... Sort of. Should be close enough. No backsies.

AWESOME!

(Also, by this point, I'm pretty convinced ancient unicorns were aurochs and rhinos, so... spot on, really.)

Shadow Lodge

6 people marked this as a favorite.
Tacticslion wrote:
-> Micky the male ratfolk (he always wears red shorts and white gloves, is a devotee of Abadar and is obsessed with both looking family-friendly and making mad bank er, I mean, "quality entertainment" - yeah... he's totally a Prophet of Kalistrade, but sssshhhhh)

Aaaaaaaaaand debeveraged.


Orthos wrote:
Tacticslion wrote:
-> Micky the male ratfolk (he always wears red shorts and white gloves, is a devotee of Abadar and is obsessed with both looking family-friendly and making mad bank er, I mean, "quality entertainment" - yeah... he's totally a Prophet of Kalistrade, but sssshhhhh)
Aaaaaaaaaand debeveraged.

Glad I could help!


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Thanks for the suggestions Tact! I'll consider that as I ponder...stuff.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
DungeonmasterCal wrote:
In a mushy '70s music mood tonight.

But surely you haven't gone as far as 'Honey' by Bobby Goldsborough...


3 people marked this as a favorite.

Thankfully, no. The worst I found was "Afternoon Delight" by The Starland Vocal Band.

EDIT: I love ABBA, so no harassing Sweden's largest income producer in the 70s...lol


1 person marked this as a favorite.
DungeonmasterCal wrote:

*pulls out a comfy chair* There's always room! *puts another log on the fire*.

<Sinks into warm, comfy chair>

AHHHHH! Thanks. That's nice. I just spent 3 hours sitting on the floor wrapping Christmas presents. My bum is numb.
;P


2 people marked this as a favorite.

*looks around*

So... you got chairs... any other... furniture?


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Lost Omens, Rulebook Subscriber

So... What games are you folks playing these days?

Not counting PbP, I'm in two...

I'm GMing a Dungeon World campaign, set in Varisia. The PCs are DW-conversions of Amiri, Ezren, and Merisiel. I'm homebrewing a hostile takeover of the Pathfinder Society in Varisia by evil Queen Ileosa. (The events of "Curse of the Crimson Throne" are happening in the background, but that is not the PCs'fight.)

And in my other group, I'm playing in a 5e game: Dragon Heist. My PC is a hard-drinking rogue (and a 5e conversion of my one-and-only PFS character, Säga Eklundsdottir.)


2 people marked this as a favorite.

I'm in a gestalt Savage Tide, playing a halfling inspired blade swashbuckler|bladebound kensai magus. Go-go tiny dodgetank critmachine.

I was running Kingmaker for some of my school kiddos, but that's falling apart.

Grand Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure, Rulebook Subscriber; Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber

Lesse, not counting the PbPs...

Running Skull and Shackles locally, while we try to get our original party together for one last marathon to finish our VTT play.
Playing Rise of the Runelords locally, down to once a month due to our healer moving to Flagstaff for college.
Playing Curse of the Crimson Throne on VTT, usually twice a month but holidays have disrupted that.
Playing Hell's Rebels on the alternate weeks as Curse, with the same issue keeping us on hiatus.
Trying to get out and support local PFS games, but interest on both sides of the table appears to have subsided. My own schedule makes it pretty hard to get out as often as I used to, which doesn't help matters.
Kingdom Death has been going pretty regularly once or twice a week since we broke it out.
Betrayal Legacy got started over the weekend and should continue as long as our one player can make it. Holiday hours finally freed up her time to join us for a couple long sessions. (We're three games in now.)

Shadow Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Scintillae wrote:

I'm in a gestalt Savage Tide, playing a halfling inspired blade swashbuckler|bladebound kensai magus. Go-go tiny dodgetank critmachine.

I was running Kingmaker for some of my school kiddos, but that's falling apart.

I'm running said Savage Tide game.

In my busy months at work - every quarter-end - Scint is running Iron Gods for us instead. I'm playing a harpy Zealot (Path of War class) archer and worshipper of the goddess of invention in our homebrew setting.

Shadow Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
TriOmegaZero wrote:
Trying to get out and support local PFS games, but interest on both sides of the table appears to have subsided.

I'm rather curious, do you think the announcement of PF2 is (in all or in part) to blame for this?


2 people marked this as a favorite.

I'm in several "groups"...

Group 1: I DM for Aiymi. She runs 3 characters and asks that I DMPC 2 more. Rise of the Runelords.

Group 2: I DM for Aiymi and Zelda. They each run 2 PCs and I DMPC a 5th. Reign of Winter.

Group 3: I DM for Aiymi, Zelda, and 2 of Zelda's kids. Ruins of Azlant.

Group 4: I DM...seems to be a theme...for Aiymi, Zelda, and 3 of my old college friends. Currently Giantslayer.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Our DM is planning to run 'Kingmaker' next year - first time playing PF with this particular group.

Grand Lodge

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure, Rulebook Subscriber; Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber
Orthos wrote:
TriOmegaZero wrote:
Trying to get out and support local PFS games, but interest on both sides of the table appears to have subsided.
I'm rather curious, do you think the announcement of PF2 is (in all or in part) to blame for this?

Yes, it's an entirely understandable if irrational thought process to abandon a service that is ending. I'm staying on because there is half a season of great adventures remaining to be released and plenty of old favorites I still have players for.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

I'm running our homebrew Pathfinder game. No one wants to GM PF so I can play, though. However, about once every 3 months or so I manage to talk one of my players into running DC Heroes.

So yeah. That's it!


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Tableflip McRagequit wrote:

*looks around*

So... you got chairs... any other... furniture?

Well, I'm still waiting on some deliveries, but there are some end tables and a coffee table.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Merry Christmas! Love you all! Later!


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Merry Christmas!!


2 people marked this as a favorite.

Happy Halloween!


2 people marked this as a favorite.

Hi, everyone!


2 people marked this as a favorite.
DungeonmasterCal wrote:
Tableflip McRagequit wrote:

*looks around*

So... you got chairs... any other... furniture?

Well, I'm still waiting on some deliveries, but there are some end tables and a coffee table.

Initiating flip sequence in 5... 4... 3....


John Napier 698 wrote:
Hi, everyone!

Hey, John!!


'Sup, Cal?


2 people marked this as a favorite.

Merry Christmas, Welcome Yule and the rest. Mostly just Peace on Earth.

Cause I could use some too.

Also I'm looking forward to "Let's Kill Krampus".

101 to 150 of 4,367 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Gamer Life / Off-Topic Discussions / DungeonmasterCal's House of Respite All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.