Planar Ally List (first of it's kind)


Pathfinder First Edition General Discussion


7 people marked this as a favorite.

List of creatures you can summon via Planar Ally

To my knowledge there is no other list of all the creatures you can summon via the Planar Ally spell so I decided to create one.

The list contains monsters that have higher HD than the spell lets you summon, but I figured why not just complete the list of outsiders.

The list uses all Core Rulebooks as it's sources.

The list does not leave out monsters that might not be good to summon (such as the Ahkhat that will return to it's home one round after being summoned).


If all you have is a list of creatures with the outsider type, there's a page for that on d20pfsrd. To have a benefit you need to include something more. Some notes on which outsiders are preferred by which deities perhaps?


Link me to that list that shows the same info as in my list. I do not believe one exists. Especially one that lists by HD which is what the spell calls for.


Check out the Monster DB as linked by d20pfsrd. This is a complete spreadsheet of the monster stat blocks. While the HD column shows the full #d#+#, you can parse this to get HD. It also indicates type, such as outsider, etc.

For a simpler list, check out the d20pfsrd monster search for finding just the right monster.

/cevah


Cevah wrote:
Check out the Monster DB as linked by d20pfsrd. This is a complete spreadsheet of the monster stat blocks. While the HD column shows the full #d#+#, you can parse this to get HD. It also indicates type, such as outsider, etc.

Thank you for that link, I never found that. However not only does it not list by HD exactly, you can't filter outsiders and HD only, only either or. The list I created allows you to see only Outsiders, and to filter by HD without any sort of extra work. Not to mention it doesn't list the monsters from as many sourcebooks as list in the OP does (Planar Adventures, Horror Adventures, Monster Codex, Mythic Adventures to name a few).

avr wrote:
To have a benefit you need to include something more. Some notes on which outsiders are preferred by which deities perhaps?

If only the list had the alignment of each outsider so that you could see what matches your deity... How about the benefit of being able to quickly see every outsider, it's HD, and it's alignment? Is that benefit not good enough?

But I appreciate everyone's attempts at tearing me down for making something for you guys to use for free. I don't know why I even post on this site anymore when all the responses are so negative. That'll teach me for making something for you to guys to use for free that you can't find anywhere else. IT'S NOT GOOD ENOUGH! DO EVEN MORE WORK! Give a mouse a cookie I suppose.


Cevah wrote:

Check out the Monster DB as linked by d20pfsrd. This is a complete spreadsheet of the monster stat blocks. While the HD column shows the full #d#+#, you can parse this to get HD. It also indicates type, such as outsider, etc.

For a simpler list, check out the d20pfsrd monster search for finding just the right monster.

/cevah

Yeah but d20pfsrd doesn't update all their tools, the monster search omits certain outsiders (Horsemen specifically) and includes things from sources outside of Paizo printing (even when deselecting 3rd party materials). The Monster DB is essentially what Caleb had compiled into just outsiders. I don't need to sift through 8000+ (over approximation ik) to look for outsiders for, as the post title implies, a Planar Ally spell (which has listed examples on d20pfsrd, but not all the ones you can use).

As for Caleb, if this is a list for the purposes of a Planar Ally (or equivalent), is it really possible to 'ask' for a native outsider to be sent to you? Because if so I could totally see cheesing a way of teleporting long lost allies of that type back to you, if not only to ask where they will return to at the end of the spell.


Alphavoltario wrote:
As for Caleb, if this is a list for the purposes of a Planar Ally (or equivalent), is it really possible to 'ask' for a native outsider to be sent to you? Because if so I could totally see cheesing a way of teleporting long lost allies of that type back to you, if not only to ask where they will return to at the end of the spell.

The spell doesn't mention it at all. However maybe I'll update the list with a column listing native or non-native. I imagine the vast majority of the list is non-native.


This is a useful quick reference list. Remember the way Planar Ally works. The player asks the deity for a creature of X hit dice. The deity (the DM) selects the creature. The only restriction is that it must match the PC's alignment. The PC's, NOT the deity's -- this is a fine point that gets missed sometimes. So a LN worshipper of Asmodeus can get Inevitables, but not devils.

Anyway: from the DM's POV, it's nice to have a quick reference list to see what's available. Remember, the character / player can in theory ask for a particular creature, but it's entirely up to the deity / DM what shows up.

One other fine point: as long as the requirements of the spell WRT alignment and hit dice are followed, the DM is not restricted to anything on this list. The spell could produce fiendish creatures, celestial creatures, advanced creatures, things with templates, even creatures with character levels... you name it. As long as the alignment and HD requirements are fulfilled, it's legit. But the list is still useful as a starting point.

Doug M.


Caleb Garofalo wrote:
The spell doesn't mention it at all. However maybe I'll update the list with a column listing native or non-native. I imagine the vast majority of the list is non-native.

Personally I would just mark the Natives as it will save a lot of time, They are mostly at the beginning of the list anyways.


Douglas Muir 406 wrote:
This is a useful quick reference list. Remember the way Planar Ally works. The player asks the deity for a creature of X hit dice. The deity (the DM) selects the creature. The only restriction is that it must match the PC's alignment. The PC's, NOT the deity's -- this is a fine point that gets missed sometimes. So a LN worshipper of Asmodeus can get Inevitables, but not devils.

That restriction is "If you serve no particular deity, the spell is a general plea answered by a creature sharing your philosophical alignment."


Caleb Garofalo wrote:
Cevah wrote:
Check out the Monster DB as linked by d20pfsrd. This is a complete spreadsheet of the monster stat blocks. While the HD column shows the full #d#+#, you can parse this to get HD. It also indicates type, such as outsider, etc.
Thank you for that link, I never found that. However not only does it not list by HD exactly, you can't filter outsiders and HD only, only either or. The list I created allows you to see only Outsiders, and to filter by HD without any sort of extra work. Not to mention it doesn't list the monsters from as many sourcebooks as list in the OP does (Planar Adventures, Horror Adventures, Monster Codex, Mythic Adventures to name a few).

What you need to do is download the data locally as a spreadsheet. From that spreadsheet, filter out non-outsiders. Add a column next to the HD column that duplicates the column up to the 'd'. This then gets the number of die into a column. At this point, you have the data you want. Total time needed is about 5 minutes. 619 creatures.

Caleb Garofalo wrote:
I appreciate everyone's attempts at tearing me down for making something for you guys to use for free. I don't know why I even post on this site anymore when all the responses are so negative. That'll teach me for making something for you to guys to use for free that you can't find anywhere else. IT'S NOT GOOD ENOUGH! DO EVEN MORE WORK! Give a mouse a cookie I suppose.

We were not trying to tear down your idea, but rather help you create something that is not already out there. The DB I pointed to is readily available and filterable. If you want people to want to use your list, you need to make it more desirable. By removing non-outsiders, and limiting HD, such a list is more valuable since it is a smaller list to look through without double checking the creature is available. Recommendation of which creature to ask for is also useful. Lists of spells available via creature might also be useful since it can be a way to get a spell you don't have when you are in the middle of nowhere.

/cevah

Community / Forums / Pathfinder / Pathfinder First Edition / General Discussion / Planar Ally List (first of it's kind) All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.