Ever suddenly realize something and feel like "oh DUH"?


Off-Topic Discussions

51 to 100 of 126 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | next > last >>

3 people marked this as a favorite.

Speaking of suddenly realizing things... any four line stanza in alternating iambic tetrameter/trimeter can be sung to the tune of Amazing Grace. I realized this *while* lecturing on the Jabberwocky. I cackled in front of 40-odd undergraduates. A few of them even woke up.

That was a good day.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

I think it may have been written to be easy to sing and memorize. There are a LOT of stanzas that most church hymnals don't include (most include only 5) but I've met a couple of people who knew every one of them.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

For a moment I thought you were talking about Jabberwocky and I was really jealous of whatever church you were talking about...


3 people marked this as a favorite.

WWJD...What Would Jabberwocky Do?


2 people marked this as a favorite.
DungeonmasterCal wrote:
WWJD...What Would Jabberwocky Do?

*devorpals*


2 people marked this as a favorite.

I see what you did there.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
DungeonmasterCal wrote:
I see what you did there.

It was either that or:

*whiffles and burbles*


2 people marked this as a favorite.

Ok, that caught me just right and I can't stop giggling.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
DungeonmasterCal wrote:
Ok, that caught me just right and I can't stop giggling.

Are we still doing “that’s what she said”? Too dated? Too soon to be retro? Dammit, someone needs to maintain a wiki or something...


2 people marked this as a favorite.

Nah. That joke never gets old. In fact

"That's What She Said" - Here Come The Mummies


1 person marked this as a favorite.
DungeonmasterCal wrote:

Nah. That joke never gets old. In fact

"That's What She Said" - Here Come The Mummies

This song really shouldn't be as entertaining as it is.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

LOL none of their stuff should, but I can't help but love everything I've heard by them.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

I listened to that with my wife, and she has started inserting it everywhere.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

Yes, that's an opening.

(So is this.)


1 person marked this as a favorite.

LOL...I'm hurting from laughing so hard.


5 people marked this as a favorite.

That the borg get their name crom CYborgs.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

All will be assimilated.

Resistance is futile.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
BigNorseWolf wrote:
That the borg get their name crom CYborgs.

Wait...

Wait...
Wait...

So much thread title there.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
TriOmegaZero wrote:
Andostre wrote:
captain yesterday wrote:
For the longest time the wife and I thought <3 was a symbol for dick and balls.
That's crazy that the two of you were using it correctly right from the start and everyone else is using it wrong.
I also think it looks like a pair of cherries.

But do they fall up?

Shadow Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.

NO. Go to hell with that noise.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Uwheeheeheeheehee!!


4 people marked this as a favorite.
Starfinder Charter Superscriber

After being on the planet for about four decades, only last year did I realize the British musical group "The Beatles" spelled their name differently than "beetles" and was an intentional musical pun. I felt dim. Very, very dim.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
The Vagrant Erudite wrote:
BigNorseWolf wrote:
That the borg get their name crom CYborgs.

Wait...

Wait...
Wait...

So much thread title there.

I was in the gym and only the fact that i was holding onto a 45 pound plate at the time barely kept me from facepalming myself.

I was trying to imagine how many references you could put on a picture of Ruth Vader Ginsborg.

Ruth vader ginsborg (obviously)
Darth Vader chest plate and light saber
Cyborg from teen titans half head
Borg hand clamper thingy and bionic eye


1 person marked this as a favorite.

I went a more theological direction...


5 people marked this as a favorite.

Børg Børg Børg!

Liberty's Edge

4 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Rulebook, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber
quibblemuch wrote:
...in front of 40-odd undergraduates.

So how odd were they?


3 people marked this as a favorite.
John Woodford wrote:
quibblemuch wrote:
...in front of 40-odd undergraduates.
So how odd were they?

That's a silly question. Have you seen a college student? They're pretty damn odd...

Liberty's Edge

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Rulebook, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber
The Vagrant Erudite wrote:
John Woodford wrote:
quibblemuch wrote:
...in front of 40-odd undergraduates.
So how odd were they?
That's a silly question. Have you seen a college student? They're pretty damn odd...

Seen one, been one (though that was a while ago).


2 people marked this as a favorite.

I knew some pretty odd and interesting people in college. I was one of them.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
John Woodford wrote:
quibblemuch wrote:
...in front of 40-odd undergraduates.
So how odd were they?

Let me tell you how odd they were~!

/compulsion


1 person marked this as a favorite.

I've listened to hard rock and related genres nearly my whole life. In my last two years of high school(1981-1982), I worked at our campus radio station. While playing the Lynyrd Skynyrd song "That Smell" I was asked what it meant. I replied with I didn't know and it was true.

So this year it finally occurred to me the song was referring to the smell of death. Now I have to find that girl and let her know.


That makes me think: anyone else here ever had some songs you never realized sound similar till someone else pointed it out? I've had a few but the only pair I can remember is Eurythics- Sweet Dreams (are made of this) vs The Cure- Icing Sugar (I assume everyone's familiar with the first one, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JiTGfhSWQ6c here is the second)


Yep. That happens from time to time to me.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

I dunno about that, but if you listen to Jammin' by Bob Marley, from a certain point of view, it sounds like he's saying "We German"

Considering my uncle is a pothead who lives in Germany, it's pretty damn hilarious to me.


The Vagrant Erudite wrote:

I dunno about that, but if you listen to Jammin' by Bob Marley, from a certain point of view, it sounds like he's saying "We German"

Considering my uncle is a pothead who lives in Germany, it's pretty damn hilarious to me.

That's called a mondegreen and most people have them. There are entire sites about them


3 people marked this as a favorite.

A pothead uncle who lives in Germany is called a mondegreen? Huh. Learn something new every day...

Though I must confess to being a little skeptical that most people have them. There's just not that much weed in Deutscheland. Or that many uncles, I suppose.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber
quibblemuch wrote:

A pothead uncle who lives in Germany is called a mondegreen? Huh. Learn something new every day...

Though I must confess to being a little skeptical that most people have them. There's just not that much weed in Deutscheland. Or that many uncles, I suppose.

I have one too! You'd be surprised at how progressive Germany has become.

Although, I guess technically, he's my great uncle.


Huh? What? Like, Germany, man? But I thought the Midwest was all, like, full of squares...


2 people marked this as a favorite.

Ja, ja, as I detail in mein book Thus Toked Zarathustra.


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber
Bongo Pipeweed wrote:
Huh? What? Like, Germany, man? But I thought the Midwest was all, like, full of squares...

Yeah, that's why they moved to Europe.


Whoa! Dude! Germany's in Europe now? When did that happen?

Shadow Lodge

Dude, you're blowin' my mind here.


3 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber
quibblemuch wrote:
Speaking of suddenly realizing things... any four line stanza in alternating iambic tetrameter/trimeter can be sung to the tune of Amazing Grace. I realized this *while* lecturing on the Jabberwocky. I cackled in front of 40-odd undergraduates. A few of them even woke up.

Yup.

Goes back to meter. For hymns and other vocal music, meter is expressed in the number of syllables per line, and the number of lines in the hymn.

For example, "Amazing Grace" is in common meter. Each verse of the hymn has four lines. The first and third lines have eight sung syllables each, and the third and fourth lines have six syllables each. This would be expressed as: 8.6.8.6

You can sing any lyric to any tune of the same meter. For centuries, nearly every hymn was written in one of three meters: Long Meter (8.8.8.8), Short Meter (6.6.8.6), or Common Meter (8.6.8.6). Most hymn tunes were likewise written in one of these meters. Hymn writers really didn't start to get creative with different meters until the mid-19th century.

Therefore: You can sing "Jabberwocky" or pretty much any Emily Dickinson poem to the tune of "Amazing Grace," or "The Yellow Rose of Texas," or "House of the Rising Sun," or "America the Beautiful," or "God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen," or "Greensleeves," or "I'd Like to Teach the World to Sing," or "The Theme to Gilligan's Island."

(Try singing "America the Beautiful" to the tune of "Gilligan's Island." It's hilarious!)

(Here's a link to the Bind Boys of Alabama singing "Amazing Grace" to the tune of "House of the Rising Sun.")


1 person marked this as a favorite.

That was wonderful.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

The idea of singing one song to the tune of another song melts my brain a little.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

I have an "oh duh" moment when I realized that tacticslion is not a haphazard collection of letters. Tact-icsl-ion have so much meaning.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

1d4 ⇒ 2 goblin babies always thought Tacticslion was the Xamot to Tictacslion's Tomax.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

Also a related question: has anyone ever had a word they thought meant something for ages only to suddenly realize they were wrong? I just had that with "inveigh", which for some reason I thought meant something like "to weigh down on" (in the metaphorical sense, such "guilt weighed down on her") but looked it up and it turns out it means "to protest strongly". Also, for a long time I thought "Erstwhile" meant something like "notable" (it really means "previous")


Seth Kairos wrote:
I have an "oh duh" moment when I realized that tacticslion is not a haphazard collection of letters. Tact-icsl-ion have so much meaning.

This happens more often than I thought when I chose my name.

In fairness, my presentation has been... spotty in the past. :D

(tacticslion -> Tacticslion -> Tactics Lion, depending on the forum.)

1d4 Goblin Babies wrote:
1d4 goblin babies always thought Tacticslion was the Xamot to Tictacslion's Tomax.

This may or may not be true depending on the definition of literally any of these things at all. I honestly don't know, though, so it remains unknown until I'm (re?)educated on terminology!

Yqatuba wrote:
Also a related question: has anyone ever had a word they thought meant something for ages only to suddenly realize they were wrong? I just had that with "inveigh", which for some reason I thought meant something like "to weigh down on" (in the metaphorical sense, such "guilt weighed down on her") but looked it up and it turns out it means "to protest strongly". Also, for a long time I thought "Erstwhile" meant something like "notable" (it really means "previous")

I did the same with "erstwhile" for a while, too. I honestly don't know what I thought "inveigh" meant. Neat!


2 people marked this as a favorite.

I love how the two examples of the song thing between amazing grace and pokemon were brought up but my mind went to Buy the World a Coke

51 to 100 of 126 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Gamer Life / Off-Topic Discussions / Ever suddenly realize something and feel like "oh DUH"? All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.