what would a colossal monk do for unarmed damage?


Rules Questions


Ok so, i made a large race, and i'm using it with the monk class, because the game is starting out at lvl20 i got a pair of wondrous items to use with the monk
specifically, the juggernauts pauldrons, and the giants fist gauntlets.
One makes me huge, the other makes my hands colossal

what would my unarmed damage be?
i have seen it up to huge at 6d8, but wouldn't the dice advance a dice up one at colossal? or would it stay at a d8

if one, that should be 12d8
if the other, i guessed at several d10 or a few d12, dont have an exact number yet, figured i would drop a bottle message

The race creator is here
https://www.d20pfsrd.com/gamemastering/other-rules/creating-new-races/#
Incarnate Golem
outsider (take your pick)
+4str, -2 dex, +4 con, +2 wis, -2 int, -2 cha
large
spell resistance 11+ character level
damage reduction (maxed out the choice)(dr 10/ outside type based)
moon touched damage reduction (DR 5/silver)
fast healing 10
natural armor +6
reach

yes, its intended to be a bit overpowered, its for a dungeon crawl


When increasing in size damage die normally gravitates to either d8s or d6s in this case you are looking at 12d8.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Giant Fists Gauntlets don't say anything about increasing unarmed strike damage.

Anyway, check out the FAQ.


Derklord wrote:

Giant Fists Gauntlets don't say anything about increasing unarmed strike damage.

Anyway, check out the FAQ.

but they do increase the size of my hands

the DM is using them that way, i initially read it that way too, but it does increase the size of my hands two steps
not all enlarging items mention that they change your damage output

just that they make you or part of you bigger


Wouldn't permanency strong jaw be a more cost effective way of getting a +2 weapon damage size increase for the unarmed strikes?


If anyone cares, i play tested the monk with colossal hands

i killed a hekatonkheres
in one flurry of blows >.>

The Exchange

First, if this is the way your group chooses to deal with these items, you are doing it right. House rules exist to make the game fun for YOUR group.

Having said that, since this is the rules form there are three issues to be aware of that you are house ruling. Make sure you and the GM are in agreement before it becomes a problem!

1. Juggernaut’s Pauldrons work as enlarge person. That spell only affects humanoids (which you are not).
2. There is nothing in the text to indicate that Giant Fist Gauntlets increase damage. Also, they only double the size of your fists. That’s the same language (double) as enlarge person, so that would only be one size category. Again, if your GM says they increase damage and wants to make it two size categories, that’s her call.
3. You can only increase damage from one size increase and one “effective” size increase (“damage as if it were X size categories larger”) effect. This would be two actual size increases.

As long as everyone is on board, have fun!


keyton777 wrote:
not all enlarging items mention that they change your damage output

Actual size increases automatically increase your unarmed damage, without need of an explicit statement. The gauntlets aren't an actual size increase, though. First, they only increase a small part of your body, meaning they would only affect unarmed strikes made with your fists no matter what, and second, why should they increase your unarmed damage? A punch's power comes from muscles in your arm and upper body, larger fists would actually lower the pressure per area, decreasing the damage done.

Belafon wrote:
3. You can only increase damage from one size increase and one “effective” size increase (“damage as if it were X size categories larger”) effect. This would be two actual size increases.

Here's the corresponding FAQ.


Here's a damage chart: Damage Die Progression


Derklord wrote:
keyton777 wrote:
not all enlarging items mention that they change your damage output

Actual size increases automatically increase your unarmed damage, without need of an explicit statement. The gauntlets aren't an actual size increase, though. First, they only increase a small part of your body, meaning they would only affect unarmed strikes made with your fists no matter what, and second, why should they increase your unarmed damage? A punch's power comes from muscles in your arm and upper body, larger fists would actually lower the pressure per area, decreasing the damage done.

Belafon wrote:
3. You can only increase damage from one size increase and one “effective” size increase (“damage as if it were X size categories larger”) effect. This would be two actual size increases.
Here's the corresponding FAQ.

hes not a fish or something.....unless looking like a human doesn't make you automatically humanoid


In Pathfinder, "humanoid" isn't used as the generic term, but as a game term - more precisely, a creature type. Every creature has exactly one creature type, and very few things change your creature type.

Creature types are: Aberration | Animal | Construct | Dragon | Fey | Humanoid | Magical Beast | Monstrous Humanoid | Ooze | Outsider | Plant | Undead | Vermin.

Community / Forums / Pathfinder / Pathfinder RPG / Rules Questions / what would a colossal monk do for unarmed damage? All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.