In Pale Mountain's Shadow: Battle Maps


Doomsday Dawn Game Master Feedback


2 people marked this as a favorite.

Hey there, everyone,

In case there are some refs out there who need quick Battle Maps for "In Pale Mountain's Shadow" here are the maps I came up with for my group. I created them using assets I purchased and my own Photoshop skills. I tend to display these on the TV from my laptop but I suppose they could also be printed out.

I figured I'd share them, here, for refs who may need them and don't have the time or inclination to draw up their own.

If anyone is interested, let me know: I'll try to find a way to post them.

Does anyone have any suggestions for the best means to post a ZIP-file of PNG-images? By that, I mean, the method that a majority of folk, here, would prefer to use.

Yours,
Sylvan


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Companion, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber

I'd be interested if you can share them.


Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber

I could really use those too!


3 people marked this as a favorite.

Here we go... I hope this works; I've not done DropBox, before.

I have each of the Battle Maps in there as well as a single ZIPped file for mass-download, if you like.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/m6gm85xwqcpwkii/AAClqEIW95pVqk0ChqMIhwYVa?dl=0

Let me know if this works!

I hope folk enjoy them!

Yours,
Sylvan


Not to be a Debbie Downer, but doesn't this kind of go against one of the stated playtest goals for Part 2? I think the point of not being supplied maps is that we are supposed to have to do them ourselves and see how we like it.

RPG Superstar Season 9 Top 16

2 people marked this as a favorite.

I agree with Debbie Do--I mean--Captain Morgan here. A playtest goal of Part 2 was seeing if GMs are okay with drawing their own maps using some provided instructions. If you feel it's enough burden to have to get some pre-made ones, that's some very valuable feedback data.

Personally, I liked the idea, but not the execution. The maps instructions were too specific and poorly presented. I'd prefer a list of features or a statblock instead of a giant block of text telling me what to draw.


Cyrad wrote:

I agree with Debbie Do--I mean--Captain Morgan here. A playtest goal of Part 2 was seeing if GMs are okay with drawing their own maps using some provided instructions. If you feel it's enough burden to have to get some pre-made ones, that's some very valuable feedback data.

Personally, I liked the idea, but not the execution. The maps instructions were too specific and poorly presented. I'd prefer a list of features or a statblock instead of a giant block of text telling me what to draw.

I agree with both of you ... to a degree.

That's why I waited until after the surveys for that portion of the playtest had ended.

I did find one of the battle maps questionable, though. The final map covers a very key part of the characters' journey: right outside the dungeon. As it is, not having that supplied in the module made me a bit frustrated. Anything that could significantly impact the result of getting into the tomb should at least have its own, provided map.

But, that said, it was easy for me to whip one up.

Then again, on what must be the third-hand by now, the Gnoll Camp map was very poorly described compared to the others. I had to draw it 3 times before I finally got it right! (I think I got it right. I'm still unsure.)

But, yeah: I definitely hear your point.

I'm providing these maps for those who want to play the module but not do the build-a-map parts.

Hope that explains it.

Yours,
Sylvan


3 people marked this as a favorite.

Thanks for these. The fact that they didn't include maps for half the encounters in the adventure was extremely annoying. I've got enough on my hands familiarizing myself with the module, the monsters, the NPCs and the new rules without also needing to draw a bunch of new maps. It wouldn't be an issue if it were an IRL game where I was drawing with wet-erase markers on a battlemat, but running it on Roll20 makes drawing new maps a major pain.


The Narration wrote:
Thanks for these. The fact that they didn't include maps for half the encounters in the adventure was extremely annoying. I've got enough on my hands familiarizing myself with the module, the monsters, the NPCs and the new rules without also needing to draw a bunch of new maps. It wouldn't be an issue if it were an IRL game where I was drawing with wet-erase markers on a battlemat, but running it on Roll20 makes drawing new maps a major pain.

You're very welcome!

Usually, I just throw together maps in Photoshop with the PCs' tokens in their own layers and monsters/NPCs in their own layers. Then, hooking up my laptop to the TV, everyone can see it, we can zoom in (for those of us with bifocals and other visual impairments), and do battles in fairly good comfort.

I hope the pre-embedded grids don't mess things up for Roll20!

I tried using Roll20 but I must be doing something wrong; I just can't figure it out.

Yours,
Sylvan


Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber; Pathfinder Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber

Your Sand Flats map shows a 20' diameter quicksand, but the adventure calls for 20' radius. I wonder which is correct as 20' radius does seem rather large.

I also created and shared some maps with the community, check them out here if you're interested.


Fumarole wrote:

Your Sand Flats map shows a 20' diameter quicksand, but the adventure calls for 20' radius. I wonder which is correct as 20' radius does seem rather large.

I also created and shared some maps with the community, check them out here if you're interested.

ARGH!

You're right!

Yeah, this is another argument for supplying maps with every module!

Yours,
Sylvan


Sylvan Scott wrote:


I hope the pre-embedded grids don't mess things up for Roll20!

I had to do quite a bit of re-sizing by hand, but I was able to get your grid and theirs all lined up. It's not like I didn't have to do the same thing with the "official" map for the tomb that I copied out of the PDF. Took a few hours but I'm all set up with maps, monster tokens, etc. to run the game on Friday.

What's weird is that Paizo released a free map pack for Doomsday Dawn to use with Roll20... but it only contains four of the twenty or so maps in the adventure. So I'm still going to have to copy, paste, upload and re-size most of the maps for the campaign myself. At least I taught myself enough about how it works that it hopefully will be easier going forward.

Thanks again for the maps!


The Narration wrote:
Sylvan Scott wrote:


I hope the pre-embedded grids don't mess things up for Roll20!

I had to do quite a bit of re-sizing by hand, but I was able to get your grid and theirs all lined up. It's not like I didn't have to do the same thing with the "official" map for the tomb that I copied out of the PDF. Took a few hours but I'm all set up with maps, monster tokens, etc. to run the game on Friday.

What's weird is that Paizo released a free map pack for Doomsday Dawn to use with Roll20... but it only contains four of the twenty or so maps in the adventure. So I'm still going to have to copy, paste, upload and re-size most of the maps for the campaign myself. At least I taught myself enough about how it works that it hopefully will be easier going forward.

Thanks again for the maps!

You're very welcome! I hope your players get good, solid use out of 'em!

Yours,
Sylvan


I don't get the point of not showing maps. I run pre-made adventures because I don't want to spend the time being creative. If I wanted to create my own maps I'd make my own campaign along with them.

Your maps were a fantastic help. Thank you!


ClanPsi wrote:

I don't get the point of not showing maps. I run pre-made adventures because I don't want to spend the time being creative. If I wanted to create my own maps I'd make my own campaign along with them.

Your maps were a fantastic help. Thank you!

Yeah: I said the same thing in my feedback survey. When I pick up a module, I want everything laid out for me.

And I'm happy you enjoyed my maps!

By the way: I love your user icon! Is that fox from something specific that I'm just not familiar with?


Sylvan Scott wrote:
By the way: I love your user icon! Is that fox from something specific that I'm just not familiar with?

I have no idea. Presumably it's just one of the stock options from the site which I selected way back when I created my account.


ClanPsi wrote:
Sylvan Scott wrote:
By the way: I love your user icon! Is that fox from something specific that I'm just not familiar with?
I have no idea. Presumably it's just one of the stock options from the site which I selected way back when I created my account.

<chuckles> Well, still a cool icon! :)


Pathfinder Companion, Maps Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber
Sylvan Scott wrote:
Is that fox from something specific that I'm just not familiar with?

It's Vimanda, a rakshasa monk from Escape from Old Korvosa.


Joana wrote:
Sylvan Scott wrote:
Is that fox from something specific that I'm just not familiar with?
It's Vimanda, a rakshasa monk from Escape from Old Korvosa.

Oh, cool! Thank you!


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Your maps are awesome, I'm going to use B4 and B5 because I just couldn't figure out how to make them, making the maps for Tabletop Simulator is a pain, you just saved me and my game, thanks.


Kelevrax wrote:
Your maps are awesome, I'm going to use B4 and B5 because I just couldn't figure out how to make them, making the maps for Tabletop Simulator is a pain, you just saved me and my game, thanks.

You're very welcome! :)

Community / Forums / Archive / Pathfinder / Playtests & Prerelease Discussions / Pathfinder Playtest / Playtest Feedback / Doomsday Dawn Game Master Feedback / In Pale Mountain's Shadow: Battle Maps All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.
Recent threads in Doomsday Dawn Game Master Feedback