5 - The City Outside of Time


Return of the Runelords

Web Product Manager

1 person marked this as a favorite.

This is a spoiler-filled resource thread for GMs running the Return of the Runelords Adventure Path, specifically for the fifth adventure, "The City Outside of Time."


Reading through this now...

Area B1... there are 12 jars, 1200gp each, yet they yield 16,800gp. My guess is the total yield should drop to 14400... or the value of each jar cranks up to 1400... because math.


Or as a set they fetch more? Simple enough reason.

Sovereign Court

spoilers:
Was there really any point to having Phirandi make an appearance in this adventure? At first I thought it was going to be a plot hook and that he was going to play some part in the campaign but it was just his body. Kind of thought the whole point of him being in prison was to keep him alive and on display so he could see everything that was happening after he was removed from power. I’m kind of disappointed since I expected a place to free him over the course of the adventure to be either an ally or potential and counter, and admittedly I was kind a looking forward to seeing another Runelord statted up.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

I've been very curious about Runelord Belimarius and I love what they've done with her narratively, in her statblock, and the art (hot damn that's a badass granny!). I also like that she isn't immediately hostile to the PC's and could become a powerful (if temporary) ally.

What I'd really like to see is what she does in the next book and after the campaign (assuming she survives). I doubt she'll be nearly as benevolent as Sorshen is becoming, so escaping Crystilan to the modern world will be a big moment for Balimarius. Will she change or double down on her envy and spite?


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Lost Omens, Starfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

I have a question for the powers that be. Can the people within Xin-Edasseril see the world outside of the crystal dome and can people in Varisia see into it? So they are able to observe one another, but not be able to interact.

Shadow Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.

I'm not one of the authors, but I believe the description of Crystalian said the dome was opaque and nobody knew what was inside.

As for the people inside, I imagine since they're frozen in time it's irrelevant, but I'm willing to bet the dome was opaque in both directions.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

2 people marked this as a favorite.
theLegend76 wrote:
I have a question for the powers that be. Can the people within Xin-Edasseril see the world outside of the crystal dome and can people in Varisia see into it? So they are able to observe one another, but not be able to interact.

They can't. Looking from Varisia in only lets you see vague details of the trapped city, but no inhabitants, like a ship in a bottle you can't ever reach. And looking out of Xin-Edasseril, you only see the perpetual end of the world and strange stars in the sky frozen in time. There's quite a bit more details on this on page 38 of the adventure.

(Don't forget to check the inside covers for additional info on Runelord-related info for these adventures; this volume has an entry for Crystilan in the back, for example.)

In any event, the fact that the city exists outside of time means that neither side can interact with each other, unless someone goes through the dangerous first half of the adventure (the inability to interact across the boundary is what makes the first half of the adventure exist in the first place, after all!).


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Lost Omens, Starfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

Thanks James! I had missed that part.

Dark Archive

Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

I hope that I'm not the only one thinking that at some point in the Realm of Frozen tears, a lot of GMs will bust out this song. I'd like to know if the naming of the White Death was an intentional nod to one of Finland's most legendary soldiers.

Regardless, I might just swap Inkariax's favored weapon to the rifle, maybe change a few of his followers to the undead snipers from Rasputin Must Die.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

CoeusFreeze wrote:

I hope that I'm not the only one thinking that at some point in the Realm of Frozen tears, a lot of GMs will bust out this song. I'd like to know if the naming of the White Death was an intentional nod to one of Finland's most legendary soldiers.

Regardless, I might just swap Inkariax's favored weapon to the rifle, maybe change a few of his followers to the undead snipers from Rasputin Must Die.

Not intentional, as far as I know.


I checked Zeralisce's stats and... yeesh. I've never seen a humanoid with a 6 in Wisdom. I wonder what that's like?

Dark Archive

White Death is also alternate term for tuberculosis and blizzards :p We didn't really make up the term, it existed way before that sniper guy that gets turned into girl in too many Japanese animes. Heck if you check wikipedia, one of Byzantine Emperors also got nicknamed that


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
Patrickthekid wrote:
I checked Zeralisce's stats and... yeesh. I've never seen a humanoid with a 6 in Wisdom. I wonder what that's like?

It probably wouldn't be too noticeable, actually. People tend to forget that PC's (even at low point buy) have exceptional ability scores, and that a score of 10 is perfectly average.

The rule of thumb is that ability score distribution among the general population follows the curve defined by 3d6. Given this spread, about 9.25% of people would have a wisdom score of 6 or lower. So this would be uncommonly low, but common enough that if you're relaxing in a bustling tavern there are probably multiple people in that room with a wisdom score that low or lower.


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber

There's a half-orc NPC in the city, but unless I'm mistaken with the timeline, orcs are unknown in the tine of Thassilon. They're driven to the surface by the dwarves' Quest for Sky in the following Age of Darkness, right?

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Qualidar wrote:

There's a half-orc NPC in the city, but unless I'm mistaken with the timeline, orcs are unknown in the tine of Thassilon. They're driven to the surface by the dwarves' Quest for Sky in the following Age of Darkness, right?

Orcs still exist, and thus half-orcs can exist, even before the Quest For Sky. Dwarves are the ones that, before this event, are more obscure. Orcs lived in the uppermost reaches, between dwarves and the surface, and as such would often drift up above ground to raid or explore or whatever.

Dark Archive

Huh, so before Quest for Sky, orcs just didn't exist in large hordes in surface?


James Jacobs wrote:
Qualidar wrote:

There's a half-orc NPC in the city, but unless I'm mistaken with the timeline, orcs are unknown in the tine of Thassilon. They're driven to the surface by the dwarves' Quest for Sky in the following Age of Darkness, right?

Orcs still exist, and thus half-orcs can exist, even before the Quest For Sky. Dwarves are the ones that, before this event, are more obscure. Orcs lived in the uppermost reaches, between dwarves and the surface, and as such would often drift up above ground to raid or explore or whatever.

Or they could be encountered by those exploring down.

I could certainly see a Thassilonian expedition having gone down and brought back up a number of 'specimens' of whatever races they encountered. Combine that with humans being about as randy as dolphins, (and/or some not exactly ethical breeding experiments), and you get a handful of half-orcs floating around.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

CorvusMask wrote:
Huh, so before Quest for Sky, orcs just didn't exist in large hordes in surface?

Nope.

Community / Forums / Pathfinder / Pathfinder Adventure Path / Return of the Runelords / 5 - The City Outside of Time All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.
Recent threads in Return of the Runelords