Playtest Rulebook Typos?


General Discussion


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber; Pathfinder Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber

Just a few things I've noticed that seem weird.

The Bastard Sword is listed as doing Piercing damage. That seems wrong, it should be Slashing right?

The Telekinetic Projectile cantrip uses d10s for its damage on every level other than 3rd, where it does 1d8+casting mod. Should it be 1d10+casting mod?


I've also found a typo on page 16. On the alignment table in the top right, it says that Lawful Neutral is NG, instead of LN.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

Under Dwarf Ancestry section:
The names for many of the languages listed (incl. that of the Dwarf ancestry itself) are not the same as everywhere else in the book.

"Dwarf" should be Dwarven.
"Giant" should be Jotun.
"Orc" should be Orcish.
"Gnome" should be Gnomish.

Or the languages as listed in the entry are correct but those listed elsewhere are not. Please pick one & stick with it.


^ This also seems to be the case with many of the entries in the Playtest Bestiary, e.g. Orcs speak "Orc" - which is fine. But then why have it as Orcish in the Playtest Rulebook?

Spoiler:
  • I know, I know. It seems 'nitpicky'. And, fortunately, these are the playtest docs & not the final versions, so there will be some errors/typos/inconsistencies in them. And I'm fine with that, in general.
  • However, I feel that the 'language inconsistency' has the potential to creep into not only the finalised rulebook, but also into other products like the Bestiary itself - at least in the earlier years of the game (as was the case here & there in the earlier books of PF1 - it did get much better later on!).
  • So, it may be a good idea to get together & decide what are the languages for the ancestries/creatures (e.g. Will daemons be getting their own language in PF2?) & get everyone on the same page. Then, apply the decision(s) consistently.
  • I appreciate that the team is currently focussed on gathering & processing feedback for the rules of the new game & how they play/work or not. This isn't meant to be a 'naggy post' or a "Ha! Found an error! Paizo faaailed! <overly dramatic whine>" post.
  • Rather, this is a "When you get to the finishing touches, be aware that there are some lore/rule inconsistencies spread about, so give it another look through - preferrably with the official list of languages/adjectives/etc. at hand ;) " kind of post.

Still, enjoying what I'm seeing so far, so good work there!

TL;DR (the spoiler): Please pick which version of the language-name is official, & stick with it.

Thank you.


On page 83 Woodland Stride is in the level 4 feat section but marked as level 1. Woodland Stride is also missing from the table of feats on page 82. Actually, that list is missing everything after S or Steady Spellcasting

Liberty's Edge

On p. 11, the Ranger's Key Ability is listed as either Str or Dex, but on p. 111 in the Class description it is listed as Dex. Only one of these can be correct. I'm betting on the table on p. 11, but we sort of need to know.

On p. 109 the Loyal Warhorse Feat makes reference to the Paladin being able to use Retributive Strike in response to their horse being hit even if the hit was not a critical hit. A Paladin can already do this.


Page 180 lists Rapier as having the Deadly d8 weapon trait, but the Deadly weapon trait description on page 182 states that a master quality weapon gets two deadly dice, and gives the example that "a master-quality rapier deals 2d6 additional piercing damage on a critical hit." I believe one of these numbers appears to be a typo.

EDIT: Forgot to state where on page 182 that passage is listed.


Oh, this is the typo thread, well, I typed this out elsewhere, but on page 263:

Meophist wrote:

Telekinetic Projectile is a cantrip that starts with doing 1d10 damage. Its damage "increases" to 1d8 + spellcasting modifier when heightened to 3rd. It then increases to 2d10 + modifier at 5th, 3d10 + modifier at 7th, and 4d10 + modifier at 9th.

The amount of damage at 3rd appears to be mistaken given the pattern, and should probably be 1d10 + spellcasting modifier.


I'm not sure it was a typo, omission, or last minute change, but the Bard as written in the playtest can't learn 10th level spells.{I remember the blog post about them a couple of weeks ago saying they were a tenth level casting class, through the use of a feat like the others.} The other spell casting class (cleric, wizards, ect) have the ability to do it through a 20th level class feat, but this is missing from the bards list.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Is there going to be an official errata for the playtest? It could be important if we're all keeping to RAW for the playtest, trying to make sure RAW doesn't include typos as written as well.


Frisson wrote:
I've also found a typo on page 16. On the alignment table in the top right, it says that Lawful Neutral is NG, instead of LN.

Confirmed. I came here to post about it.

Sovereign Court

I posted this in a thread as well, but might as well here:

Pg.16 second to last paragraph is the same as the previous in "armor class"

They've done away with flat-footed (which I like) but according to the AC and TAC paragraphs here they're the exact same thing. Someone copy and pasted, but didn't change the equation so to speak?


Page 283, in "Expert Wizard Spellcasting", the text reads "At 8th level, add two level 6 spells to your spellbook, and you gain a level 6 spell slot that you can use to prepare a level 6 spell from your spellbook." while the prerequisite for the feat is 12th level. As much as I would love to be casting 6th level spells as early as level 12 because of something I retroactively got at level 8, this should probably be corrected.


Page 7 : "and telling the GM the result so she can compare it to the number representing the difficult of the task."
It should be "difficulty", I think.


Page 48, Debilitating Bomb. Trigger: "You craft an alchemical item that has the elixir trait using the Quick Alchemy action." Should likely be the bomb trait.


Page 128 "At 2nd level, you gain a sorcerer class feat. You gain another at 4th, 8th, 14th, 18th, and 20th levels." Seems like they should get an additional class feat at 10th like the other casters as 12th and 16th are when the spellcasting proficiency increases are.

Liberty's Edge

Not a typo per se but there's a gnome ancestry feat that gives speak with animals to all animals not JUST burrowing animals but the gnome ability to speak with animals isn't mentioned in the gnome section AFAIK.


Qstor wrote:
Not a typo per se but there's a gnome ancestry feat that gives speak with animals to all animals not JUST burrowing animals but the gnome ability to speak with animals isn't mentioned in the gnome section AFAIK.

It has as a prerreq feat Animal Speaker, which grants that ability.


Minor typo. On Bestiary, p.76, the Flesh Golem entry says "Casting a flesh to stone spell on the iron golem affects the golem normally"


Divine Wrath Spell. Page 217.

The line with the typo reads "You can't cast this spell if you don't have a deity or your deity your deity is true neutral."


The Deadly definition (Rulebook p. 415) uses d6s for the Rapier example, the equipment section (Rulebook p. 180) says "Deadly d8" for the Rapier.


Spells:
Grease should come before Grim Tendrils

Silver Crusade

I really hope this thread gets noticed by the devs. I found a few typos and a few things that I would like to see clarified.

"Rolling 20 is better!" on page 8 seems to suggest that all you need for a critical success is a natural 20. p.292 says you need a natural 20 and a success.
At the bottom of p.45 there is a reference "section on page" that goes nowhere.
On p.74 "fiend" is not well-defined (to my knowledge) even in the bestiary.
On p.161, some entries are boxed with an extra vertical line.
The paragraph "hit points and healing" on p.294 says race not ancestry.
On p.295, “if you are at 1 hp or more...” should probably say something about being prone. In addition the paragraph “taking damage while unconscious” is confusing because it contradicts the passage five paragraphs above that starts with “always use...”
On p.306, AoO should say more about threatened squares. What happens if the fighter is using a ranged weapon?


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Hello

I'm not sure if it's too late to suggest this level of change, but I would like to suggest that all new books use gender-neutral language throughout.

For example, page 14 of the playtest section 3 "Choose a Background" currently says, "Your character's background might represent a special aptitude she's been honing since her youth, detail her upbringing, and illuminate some other aspect of her life before she became an adventurer."

This sentence and many others in the text are heavily gendered. A gender-neutral version of this would be:

"Your character's background might represent a special aptitude they've been honing since their youth, detail their upbringing, and illuminate some other aspect of their life before they became an adventurer."

Gender should not matter, so don't use gendered pro-nouns, unless you are talking about a specific character who has chosen a particular gender, then using their pronoun of choice is appropriate.


Geoffrey Grove wrote:

Hello

I'm not sure if it's too late to suggest this level of change, but I would like to suggest that all new books use gender-neutral language throughout.

For example, page 14 of the playtest section 3 "Choose a Background" currently says, "Your character's background might represent a special aptitude she's been honing since her youth, detail her upbringing, and illuminate some other aspect of her life before she became an adventurer."

This sentence and many others in the text are heavily gendered. A gender-neutral version of this would be:

"Your character's background might represent a special aptitude they've been honing since their youth, detail their upbringing, and illuminate some other aspect of their life before they became an adventurer."

Gender should not matter, so don't use gendered pro-nouns, unless you are talking about a specific character who has chosen a particular gender, then using their pronoun of choice is appropriate.

"They" is a plural word. "He" and "she" are singular. If we're talking about one character, "it" would be the appropriate neutered word.


3 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber; Pathfinder Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber
kwiqsilver wrote:
Geoffrey Grove wrote:

Hello

I'm not sure if it's too late to suggest this level of change, but I would like to suggest that all new books use gender-neutral language throughout.

For example, page 14 of the playtest section 3 "Choose a Background" currently says, "Your character's background might represent a special aptitude she's been honing since her youth, detail her upbringing, and illuminate some other aspect of her life before she became an adventurer."

This sentence and many others in the text are heavily gendered. A gender-neutral version of this would be:

"Your character's background might represent a special aptitude they've been honing since their youth, detail their upbringing, and illuminate some other aspect of their life before they became an adventurer."

Gender should not matter, so don't use gendered pro-nouns, unless you are talking about a specific character who has chosen a particular gender, then using their pronoun of choice is appropriate.

"They" is a plural word. "He" and "she" are singular. If we're talking about one character, "it" would be the appropriate neutered word.

This is incorrect. They as a singular pronoun has existed for hundreds of years. It's even used in Shakespeare.

Regardless, this isn't a thread about gendered pronouns. I created it to talk about typos and errors. If the two of you want to talk about gendered pronouns start another thread.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Not exactly a typo but I think that the starting proficiencies for each class should list unarmored defense and the signatures skills should list the lore skill.

In previews the devs said that everyone is trained in unarmored defense but it doesn't actually say that anywhere in the book. And the general rule stated in the start of the classes chapter is that unless you are specifically trained you are untrained.

The lore skill description says that lore is a signature skill for everyone but I think it should be listed with the other signature skills as well.


Goblin's Burn It feat reads:

Quote:
Fire fascinates you. Your spells and alchemical items that deal fire damage gain a conditional bonus to damage equal to half the spell’s level or the item’s level (minimum 1). You also gain a +1 conditional bonus to any persistent fire damage you deal, whether it’s from a spell or not.

It's not too clear if it's "[Half the spell's level] or [the item's level]" or "Half [the spell's level or the item's level]". I suspect it's the former, then which reordering it should make it more clear.

Halfling's Weapon Familiarity feat reads:

Quote:

You favor traditional halfling weapons. You are trained with slings, sling staves, and shortswords.

In addition, you gain access to all uncommon halfling weapons. For the purpose of proficiencies, you treat martial halfling weapons as simple weapons and exotic halfling weapons as martial weapons. For more information about weapons, see page 178.

"Sling staves" isn't quite a weapon, although there is a weapon called "Halfling Sling Staff". It's unclear where you get training in this weapon or if you just gain access to them. It feels like there meant to be a non-Halfling "Sling Staff" weapon that was left out.


Malckuss76 wrote:
Frisson wrote:
I've also found a typo on page 16. On the alignment table in the top right, it says that Lawful Neutral is NG, instead of LN.
Confirmed. I came here to post about it.

Probably because they've swapped the axes


At p.360 : "And ingested poison activates"

Liberty's Edge

Meophist wrote:
"Sling staves" isn't quite a weapon, although there is a weapon called "Halfling Sling Staff". It's unclear where you get training in this weapon or if you just gain access to them. It feels like there meant to be a non-Halfling "Sling Staff" weapon that was left out.

"Staves" is actually one accepted form of plural for "staff".


It seems like the 4 free ability boosts are absent from the "Character Creation" chapter, which is the chapter you are supposed to follow to create your character. It only appears in "Ability scores" (general rules) and "Step-by-step instructions" (an exemple).


Less of a typo per se, and more of an inconsistency:

On the Sorcerer's "what you get" sidebar (not sure how to call it, but it's the sidebar which lists your initial proficiencies, health per level, signature skills etc., on page 127), the Skills section says "Trained in a number of skills equal to 5 + your Intelligence modifier".

For every other class, the word "plus" is used instead of the plus sign.


Posted elsewhere, but this one seems active :)

My means of reading things bounces around from topic to topic based on what interests me at the time, so these will be in no particular order ;P

--

A couple of spelling errors noted. Not exhaustive. If I find any more, I will let people know. Cheers!

Bestiary p.22 (bottom of column 2, "Elite Adjustments")
>> Increase the creature’s Hit Points based on the its starting level.

Bestiary p.23 (bottom of column 2, "Skills Perception & Proficiency")
>> Rarely, a creature might have a skill modifier than its base modifier plus its relevant ability modifier.
Note: I am guessing this was "less than"?

--

Also, I found something else.

Rulebook p.various ("Spell Descriptions")
Note: Some compositions that are powers list Power as a trait, but not all of them do. Non-compositions powers don't seem to list this trait at all. Could be an error, but not certain.

Dark Archive

Rulebook p.37 - Half-Orc Ancestry Feat "Superstition" includes the "Concentrate" trait. No idea what that means in this context.


JRutterbush wrote:
Meophist wrote:
"Sling staves" isn't quite a weapon, although there is a weapon called "Halfling Sling Staff". It's unclear where you get training in this weapon or if you just gain access to them. It feels like there meant to be a non-Halfling "Sling Staff" weapon that was left out.
"Staves" is actually one accepted form of plural for "staff".

I understand that, but there's no "Sling Staff" weapon, just "Halfling Sling Staff". Usually, when the rules refer to a weapon, it uses the full name.


Paladin's Champion powers (Rulebook p. 106) says Paladins' powers are half their character level rounded down. Under Non-spellcasters with powers (Rulebook p. 194) it says powers are half the character level, rounded up.


3 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure, Rulebook Subscriber

Ive noticed that some of the gods give spells already on the divine spell list.

Urgathoa grants ghoulish cravings
Abadar grants lock
Desna grants dream message
Nethys grants prying eye


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Either familiars are rubbish for Sorcerers or this is typo:

Familiar and Master Abilities (page 287)

• You can prepare one additional cantrip. You must be able to
prepare cantrips to select this master ability.

• You can prepare one additional spell at least 3 levels lower
than your highest-level spell; you must be able to prepare
level 4 spells to select this master ability.

----

COUNTERACTING CONDITIONS (page 319)

If your ability’s counteract level is the same as the
effect’s counteract level or lower, you must succeed at a
check using the relevant skill or ability against the DC of
the target effect. You take a cumulative –5 penalty to this
check for every level by which your ability’s counteract
level is lower than the target’s. If your ability is 4 or more
counteract levels lower than that of the effect you are
trying to counteract, your attempt automatically fails.

--

How can you take a -4 or -5 if you automatically fail?!

----

TELEKINETIC PROJECTILE (page 263)

Heightened (3rd) The damage increases to 1d8 + your
spellcasting ability modifier.

--

Should be 1d10 (I think).


The Ranger feat Stealthy Companion (Handbook p. 117) doesn't have Animal Companion listed as a prerequisite, but it should as it effects a ranger's animal companion.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

In the Wizard class section, page 137, General Feats is listed as a 2nd Level advancement, while the text and associated tables still list it as a 3rd level advancement. This seems to be a typo, as my understanding is that no classes are allowed a General Feat until 3rd level.


Acid Splash (p.203) is missing the "Attack" trait


Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber; Pathfinder Card Game Subscriber

Typo on the "Undead's Bane" power:
"Increase the amount the amount of damage dealt by your level..."


Here's what I collected (some have already been mentioned)

PDF menu system
Sideabar: Markets for Magic

Torag (page 73) gifts 'alarm' at level 1, but this is already on the standard Divine spell list

Counterspell (page 130) lists 'natural' as a type of spell rather than 'primal'.

Page 187
If you are carrying or stowing saddlebags, they counts as 1 Bulk instead of light Bulk.

Page 193
Evocations capture magical forces and then shape them to harm your foes or protect you allies.

Chill Touch (page 209) should have the cantrip trait

Disrupt Undead (216) should have the cantrip trait

Page 279
Even though you can cast spells, the spell level of your cleric cantrips and domain is powers half your level rounded up.

Community / Forums / Archive / Pathfinder / Playtests & Prerelease Discussions / Pathfinder Playtest / Pathfinder Playtest General Discussion / Playtest Rulebook Typos? All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.
Recent threads in Pathfinder Playtest General Discussion