Akashic Characters Tread (TM)


Advice and Rules Questions

51 to 68 of 68 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | next > last >>

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure, Adventure Path Subscriber
Michael Sayre wrote:
This is the custom image of our Wednesday night Rise of the Drow party, drawn by Jacob Blackmon and posted on his Deviant Art page.

That is really cool. I was going to say I particularly like the awakened koala on the giant parrot, but your explanation what's going on is a lot more sensible!

Cactusfolk: proof that the PF1 design-space isn't exhausted.

Paizo Employee Organized Play Developer

Anguish wrote:
Michael Sayre wrote:
This is the custom image of our Wednesday night Rise of the Drow party, drawn by Jacob Blackmon and posted on his Deviant Art page.

That is really cool. I was going to say I particularly like the awakened koala on the giant parrot, but your explanation what's going on is a lot more sensible!

I mean, the sheer fact that you defaulted to "awakened koala riding a giant parrot" makes me feel a bit like "sensible" is an entirely arbitrary word :P

Quote:


Cactusfolk: proof that the PF1 design-space isn't exhausted.

I have a whole list of PC anthromorphs, plant creatures, and weirder stuff that I need before I can be satisfied with my game world. Camelfolk, cactusfolk, PC dragons, and armadillofolk are all on that list. I've been spending some of my 3pp freelance hours (which have gotten increasingly rare since I started at Paizo; my schedule doesn't leave a lot of free time anymore) checking any of those boxes that remain unchecked as fast as I can.


Pathfinder Adventure, Adventure Path Subscriber
Michael Sayre wrote:
I have a whole list of PC anthromorphs, plant creatures, and weirder stuff that I need before I can be satisfied with my game world. Camelfolk, cactusfolk, PC dragons, and armadillofolk are all on that list. I've been spending some of my 3pp freelance hours (which have gotten increasingly rare since I started at Paizo; my schedule doesn't leave a lot of free time anymore) checking any of those boxes that remain unchecked as fast as I can.

I hear you. Somehow - accidentally - I've become all about the Tiny dragons. I even wrote a trio of psyche dragons (ego, superego, id). Little dragons always seem to come up in my campaigns, either as familiars or NPCs, so I know what you mean about having certain things that have to be expressed. Heck, in our shared campaign history, Iomedae's herald is currently a faerie dragon, Pervenche. She was the only entity in our Wrath campaign that didn't want to tell Her where to go, so got the job by default, and changed her name to Harold because... well... she didn't really understand what was going on at the time. Mythic. Faerie. Dragon. Divine. Emissary. Makes me smile just to think of her.

I look forward to seeing your 'morphs whenever they make it.


Michael Sayre wrote:


  • Terrabird, an earth-element constellation that takes the shape of a large, flightless avian called a strider

  • And mounted on Terrabird is Sir Brekius Buzzknecht, knight of the Tri-Acorn court and Queen's Champion, a morphbear zodiac (lunar)
    [/list]
  • Chocobo much? XD

    And terrabird gets some +1's for echoing "terror bird"

    Paizo Employee Organized Play Developer

    1 person marked this as a favorite.
    the xiao wrote:
    Michael Sayre wrote:


  • Terrabird, an earth-element constellation that takes the shape of a large, flightless avian called a strider

  • And mounted on Terrabird is Sir Brekius Buzzknecht, knight of the Tri-Acorn court and Queen's Champion, a morphbear zodiac (lunar)
    [/list]
  • Chocobo much? XD

    And terrabird gets some +1's for echoing "terror bird"

    I can see how someone might see a bit of a Final Fantasy pastiche there...

    You'll have to let me know what you think about Terrabird and the other constellations from the Quiet Lands once we get that laid out and published. All of those akashic character races (and more) will be part of the same release.


    Michael Sayre wrote:


    I can see how someone might see a bit of a Final Fantasy pastiche there...

    You'll have to let me know what you think about Terrabird and the other constellations from the Quiet Lands once we get that laid out and published. All of those akashic character races (and more) will be part of the same release.

    I will my friend, I will.

    I really want to see more akashic races, but I would love if you stayed a bit away from antropomorphs. I would love an akashic fey or 1/2 fey.

    In my campaign, all planetouched can change their spell-like ability and darkvision for the akashic subtype. BAM! Instant legion of akashic races.

    And I'm stilk waiting for vanara, catfolk and other subraces but akashified.

    Paizo Employee Organized Play Developer

    the xiao wrote:

    I really want to see more akashic races, but I would love if you stayed a bit away from anthromorphs.

    Quote:
    And I'm stilk waiting for vanara, catfolk and other subraces but akashified.

    I'm getting some mixed messages...

    :P

    Depending on how you define "anthromorphs" I would say that we've mixed it up a bit. The wyrmkin from the picture is just a straight-up quadruped, as is the primary race that it's a subrace of. The morphbears also kind of straddle the line a bit (the one from that piece is much more "humanized" than the ones from the final product will be).

    I can't promise no more anthromorphs because I really like anthromorphs and I have a few more that I'm definitely going to try and release, but I will note that I've already been pushing into magical beast territory pretty heavily and I strongly suspect that we're going to get more akashic alternate racial traits for the Co7S races and maybe a few others (I've been eyeballing gathlain and ghorans from UW as possible akashic conversions for a bit now). I suspect a lot of it will hinge on how well the PF1 market holds up post PF2 release and how much time Christen and I both have to spend on new options.

    Oh, and the main reason I haven't really done anything with vanara is because I've never finished baking the half-cooked idea I have to give akashic vanara an origin story that ties into the hanumaptra daeva. I know I want those things to be tied closely together, but I've never settled on how. Rather than a boring "they're the product of a hanumaptra and a mortal, or the offspring of a daevic whose daeva was about to make the transformation into a hanumaptra", I wanted to do something where the original akashic vanara were born from shards of a hanumaptra who ripped away everything it considered to be a hindrance to its ascendance into a proper deity.


    Well, you know, they don't have to venerate a god. Maybe a hamunaptra had a fight that destroyed the home of a tribe of vanara, and in compensation he decides to accompany them in search of a new home. In the meantime he trained them in the akashic arts, and he was so close to them for a couple of years that he became some sort of living deity for them, asking him his blessing for every newborn vanara. Those blessed became... (akashic vanara, please insert cool sounding variant race name here lol).


    OR the hamunaptra shed some hairs before ascending (seen that Jet Li/Jackie Chan movie too many times), and those hairs evolved into the vanara race, which originally were all akashic. However, after many generations, a bug part started losing their natural essence, which could be an imcredible adventure hook for a vanara party (both akashic and not-akashic).

    Paizo Employee Organized Play Developer

    2 people marked this as a favorite.
    the xiao wrote:
    OR the hamunaptra shed some hairs before ascending (seen that Jet Li/Jackie Chan movie too many times), and those hairs evolved into the vanara race, which originally were all akashic. However, after many generations, a bug part started losing their natural essence, which could be an imcredible adventure hook for a vanara party (both akashic and not-akashic).

    I really enjoyed Forbidden Kingdom. I still dig it up and watch it every year or so.

    I actually really, really like that idea (or some version of it) as the origin for akashic vanara, and I'm kind of shocked I didn't think of it. Good call my friend.


    1 person marked this as a favorite.

    Geee I have too many spelling mistakes, result of a combination of an old.phone and fat fingers LOL.

    I like to tinker with my favorite races. I have awesome race designs for rakasta and lupin (from mystara), but I have so little free time to develop it into a product pitch.

    Anyway, you know how the rakshasa monster description mentions they can have ANY beast head? Maybe a monkey-headed rakshasa (mandril maybe?) infiltrated the new race and started birthing tainted ones, who lost their natural essence. Why did he do that? Is he still among them? Does he uses his illusions to change from ruler to ruler?

    A campaign seed for a whole vanara party where if they "win" the vanara race recover their essence, and the akashic vanara becomes the standard from there on.


    2 people marked this as a favorite.

    Ritika "The brass monkey", a chaotic good female vanara sineater guru who has the Amateur Astrologer feat to shape the Monkey as a staf but uses it mainly as a form of defense, using it to get a shield bonus while attacking with unarmed attacks with the Gentle Touch ability.

    Her nickname comes from the brass mask she wears most of the time, which has the shape of an angry monkey. She uses it to hide her identity, since she is the daughter of a wealthy and respected merchant. She appears from time to time in her region, always thwarting slave trading, drug dealing, kidnapping and other criminal activity.

    Paizo Employee Organized Play Developer

    1 person marked this as a favorite.
    the xiao wrote:

    Ritika "The brass monkey", a chaotic good female vanara sineater guru who has the Amateur Astrologer feat to shape the Monkey as a staf but uses it mainly as a form of defense, using it to get a shield bonus while attacking with unarmed attacks with the Gentle Touch ability.

    Her nickname comes from the brass mask she wears most of the time, which has the shape of an angry monkey. She uses it to hide her identity, since she is the daughter of a wealthy and respected merchant. She appears from time to time in her region, always thwarting slave trading, drug dealing, kidnapping and other criminal activity.

    I've really just been wanting to play a Lunar zodiac in the Priestly Raiments set with the new cosmology from Emperors and Einherjar who manifests Monkey, Boar, and Snake to basically go full Journey to the West. I feel like it would be a lot of fun once the full build came online.


    1 person marked this as a favorite.
    Michael Sayre wrote:


    I've really just been wanting to play a Lunar zodiac in the Priestly Raiments set with the new cosmology from Emperors and Einherjar who manifests Monkey, Boar, and Snake to basically go full Journey to the West. I feel like it would be a lot of fun once the full build came online.

    Yeah! Although the companions wouldn't be that human-looking... unless, you know, there was a way to unlock a greater champion form beyond investing essence ;)

    Once I mastered a 3.5 psionic campaign loosely based on the story, where the priest had to consult the 4 elemental oracles, and the first one was trapped by a fire nymph who impersonated it. Oh, my Wonder Years. One of the characters was a carp hengeyokai (or river spirit folk?) Samurai who took the fighter PrC that manifested a blade soulmeld. If I ever revive that, he will be a Solar Zodiac!


    1 person marked this as a favorite.

    Lien, Male Vishkanya Solar Zodiac.

    Lien is a suave, handsome man and aswift, dirty warrior who manifests the Snake's spear, the Rat's armor and the Boar's bracers. He is also known to use poison in his fights. While not a knight in shining armor, he can be hired for not much, since he likes to test his dirty combat style while adventuring, but he doesn't like to be with the same people for much time.

    He also uses Spheres of Might's talents, particularly from the Alchemy and Lancer spheres.

    He may also take Expanded Cosmology to get another equipment so he can stack that ice damage LOL.


    1 person marked this as a favorite.

    Homrum Thorkel (first name appeared in dwarf name generator... and I LOLed)

    A male Dwarf akashic warrior that has taken the Shape Veil feat to shape Mjolnir. (he would take Acces Lower Chakra for hands at 7 and retrain at 13 to Access Middle Chakra for wrists).

    He became awestruck with the legend of Thor after listening to an Asgardian Bard recounting the God's adventures while Homrum was in a tavern. Now, after converting to the Asgardian God's faith, he plans to become worthy enough to, when he dies, become an Einherjar at Thor's service.


    I dreamt an akashic monster LOL. I typed while my baby was in the backseat, so it is not in a very formal or professional format, but here it is!

    Hedron Guardian (Akashic Construct)

    These guardians come from a place and time where Akashic magic thrived. They normally guard ancient treasures that deal with Akashic magic, be them knowledge of forgotten veils, rituals to form a convergence from an unusual plane, star logs depicting alien cosmologies etc.

    Resembling a kind of floating double pyramid (think a d8), they were created with the ability to shape 4 specific veils, and wield them via magical appendages resembling an energy tentacle; these appendages can hold one veil, treating it as a main hand that can handle two handed weapons without penalty. The attack is based on the akashic construct effective veilshaper level (equal to its HD), adding Dex to attack rolls but no modifier to damage. While medium sized, this appendages give them the reach of a large creature. Its veils are always weapon like veils, shields, or some sort of attack. The magic that created these guardians mimic the abilities of veils bound to a chakra, but are still powered by essence. A Hedron Guardian has a number of essential points equal to its HD.

    A sample guardian would have Hand Cannons, El’s Utterdark Shield, Loyal Paladin’s Spear of Light, and Reaper’s Scythe.


    I just noticed my spelling mistake in the title of the tHread ¡*_*

    51 to 68 of 68 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | next > last >>
    Community / Forums / Pathfinder / Pathfinder First Edition / Third-Party Pathfinder RPG Products / Advice and Rules Questions / Akashic Characters Tread (TM) All Messageboards

    Want to post a reply? Sign in.
    Recent threads in Advice and Rules Questions