Am I missing something?


Starfinder Society

Wayfinders

I have asked a number of times and can't seem to get a straight answer

in Star Finder Society...
have the available races been expanded beyond the core book?

I do not want your observation on Boon exceptions

Can I choose a Race from Alien Archive or Pact Worlds

YES or NO

if Yes... what is the SFS legal List ?

1/5 5/5

2 people marked this as a favorite.

Without boons, NO.

Any additional allowable races will be called out in the additional resources document. At the moment, no races are listed in that document.

Grand Lodge

Brian Adams wrote:

Without boons, NO.

Any additional allowable races will be called out in the additional resources document. At the moment, no races are listed in that document.

Thank you

Sczarni 5/5 5/55/5 ***

And in the Core Rulebook, specifically only the races in the front of the book are always available; the Legacy races in the back require Boons.

Wayfinders

Thank you

Some people have learning/Cognative disabilities

So when a Publishing Company (who, IMO should know better) writes its rules in an obtuse way, (Rules by Omission) it’s extreemly frustrating and difficult.
Poor customer service to say the least.

Grand Lodge 4/5 5/55/55/55/5 ***

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

All this aside... If you play for a while in Starfinder Society, you will earn boons that open up other races. Even some of the legacy ones! Some boons will come off scenario chronicles. Other boons can be earned from doing things like playing 6 games as a player.

Does this help?

Hmm

5/5 5/55/55/5

Without any boons the legal races are

Human

Android
Humans
Kasatha
Lashunta (both morphs)
shirren
Vesk
Ysoki

From the alien archive boon , which you can get just by playing, you can get a ryphorian or wrikreechee with a little bit of play and a barathu with a lot of games.

Wayfinders

Hilary Moon Murphy wrote:

All this aside... If you play for a while in Starfinder Society, you will earn boons that open up other races. Even some of the legacy ones! Some boons will come off scenario chronicles. Other boons can be earned from doing things like playing 6 games as a player.

Does this help?

Hmm

It does... a little

but with over $160 worth of source materials (3 books)
surely another half dozen races could be made available .... ?
(Grumblegrumblegrumble)

thank you all for your input

5/5

Edris "TOME" Rook wrote:
Hilary Moon Murphy wrote:

All this aside... If you play for a while in Starfinder Society, you will earn boons that open up other races. Even some of the legacy ones! Some boons will come off scenario chronicles. Other boons can be earned from doing things like playing 6 games as a player.

Does this help?

Hmm

It does... a little

but with over $160 worth of source materials (3 books)
surely another half dozen races could be made available .... ?
(Grumblegrumblegrumble)

thank you all for your input

I've gotten 3 race boons just from playing level 1-4 scenarios.

I got another race from a 3-6 scenario that requires faction rep to cash in.

I got one race boon (choice of two races) from GMing at a convention.

I'm about to get my second race boon (choice of two to three races) just from accumulating a number of sessions played.

So that's 6 boons for up to 9 total race choices. I only started playing in February! I think Paizo has actually been pretty generous, and requiring a (minimal) play involvement to get anything outside of the core seven is just good business sense.

Sczarni 5/5 5/55/5 ***

Edris "TOME" Rook wrote:

Some people have learning/Cognative disabilities

So when a Publishing Company (who, IMO should know better) writes its rules in an obtuse way, (Rules by Omission) it’s extreemly frustrating and difficult.
Poor customer service to say the least.

Can you suggest a more clear way to phrase which races are always available?

Starfinder Roleplaying Guild Guide wrote:
Select your character’s race. The choices offered in Chapter 3 of the Starfinder Core Rulebook are always available. Additional races may be available if they are listed in the Additional Resources document, provided you own a copy of the appropriate source book. Other races are available as campaign boons

Sczarni 5/5 5/55/5 ***

Edris "TOME" Rook wrote:

but with over $160 worth of source materials (3 books)

surely another half dozen races could be made available .... ?

Given time, I'm sure there will be. It's only the first Season of SFS. Over in PFS, they're currently on their tenth Season, and something like a dozen extra races have been opened up over the years.

1/5 5/5

Nefreet wrote:
Edris "TOME" Rook wrote:

Some people have learning/Cognative disabilities

So when a Publishing Company (who, IMO should know better) writes its rules in an obtuse way, (Rules by Omission) it’s extreemly frustrating and difficult.
Poor customer service to say the least.

Can you suggest a more clear way to phrase which races are always available?

Starfinder Roleplaying Guild Guide wrote:
Select your character’s race. The choices offered in Chapter 3 of the Starfinder Core Rulebook are always available. Additional races may be available if they are listed in the Additional Resources document, provided you own a copy of the appropriate source book. Other races are available as campaign boons

I think that part of what you are missing here is that SFS exists to support Starfinder, not the other way around. SFS is one of literally countless possible campaigns for the Starfinder system. As a long-time GM, I'm not going to say (especially given the number of third party books out there), 'I am allowing everything but X, Y and Z.'

Instead, I am going to say, 'I am allowing A, B, and C. As a single GM who is balancing one table, rather than trying to make a coherent set of rules for worldwide play under many GMs, if you want to do Q, discuss it with me.' Obviously, everything after that first sentence is not possible for SFS. So the guide says that the main Core races are allowed, plus anything in the Additional Resources, which is how they make things not in the Core book available, plus anything for which you have an official boon.

Sczarni 5/5 5/55/5 ***

Brian Adams wrote:
I think that part of what you are missing here is that SFS exists to support Starfinder, not the other way around.

What makes you think I'm missing that?

1/5 5/5

Nefreet wrote:
Brian Adams wrote:
I think that part of what you are missing here is that SFS exists to support Starfinder, not the other way around.
What makes you think I'm missing that?

Sorry, not you, the OP.


BigNorseWolf wrote:

Without any boons the legal races are

Human

Android
Humans
Kasatha
Lashunta (both morphs)
shirren
Vesk
Ysoki

From the alien archive boon , which you can get just by playing, you can get a ryphorian or wrikreechee with a little bit of play and a barathu with a lot of games.

From the SFS Replaying Guild Guide:

"2. RACE
Select your character’s race. The choices offered in Chapter 3 of the
Starfinder Core Rulebook are always available, as are the Legacy
races in Chapter 13."

If legacy races do require boons, then this document needs updated to remove the reference to them in Appednix 1: Character Creation on page 21.

5/5 5/55/55/5

RAMbrandt wrote:


If legacy races do require boons, then this document needs updated to remove the reference to them in Appednix 1: Character Creation on page 21.

other way around. My post was from last year when that was true

Sczarni 5/5 5/55/5 ***

The timewarp caught me off guard reading through this, too.

Community / Forums / Organized Play / Starfinder Society / Am I missing something? All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.
Recent threads in Starfinder Society