Do they die?


Pathfinder Society

Venture-Agent, Utah—Provo aka Chess Pwn

My party was playing and we had a fight where three went down and the other three ran leaving the three down with goblins and goblin dogs and they ended the scenario. Do the three left die?

Liberty's Edge 5/5

Thomas Hutchins wrote:
My party was playing and we had a fight where three went down and the other three ran leaving the three down with goblins and goblin dogs and they ended the scenario. Do the three left die?

Probably. It depends on the stated motives of the Goblins (in the scenario). Some NPCs would be more interested in taking hostages than killing. If the scenario doesn’t detail the NPCs’ motivation, they would probably kill the PCs.

Edit to add:
Why do you ask? We try not to armchair-GM. Those reading the boards weren’t there and don’t have a complete picture of the situation. If you disagree with how your GM handled the situation, that’s a conversation that really needs to happen between you and them to achieve resolution on the matter.

4/5

I can think of any number of things goblins might want to do, depending on the scenario. Most at least call for a body retrieval. I would be surprised if they went out of their way to stabilize down PCs however, so expect to roll some stabilization checks at least.

2/5

Starfinder Charter Superscriber

Depends on if they're the psychotic PF1 goblins who enjoy torture and murder, or the lovable PF2 goblins who are just wacky next door neighbors who like pranks.

Scarab Sages 5/5 Venture-Captain, Netherlands aka Woran

1 person marked this as a favorite.

Depends on the Goblins. If they have a smart boss, he or she might want hostages to interrogate. Those PCs would be taken prisoner. No death, but pay for body recovery.

Venture-Agent, Utah—Provo aka Chess Pwn

Sorry, I'm the gm and I made a ruling that I thought they'd be dead, these goblins liked the fresh meat. But I want to double check if there's a ruling since one person said that since they ran ending the scenario that it immediately ends and since they weren't dead yet they don't die.

The Exchange 5/5 Venture-Lieutenant, Texas—Dallas & Ft. Worth aka Belafon

Thomas Hutchins wrote:
Sorry, I'm the gm and I made a ruling that I thought they'd be dead, these goblins liked the fresh meat. But I want to double check if there's a ruling since one person said that since they ran ending the scenario that it immediately ends and since they weren't dead yet they don't die.

That sounds like (to use a computer gaming analogy) pulling your cord and going linkdead to get a DNF instead of a loss on your record. Or, to put it another way, attempting to exploit the system's programmed rules to avoid an undesired outcome. That's not at all the intention.

The story still comes to a conclusion, even if the characters aren't conscious to witness it. It is up to the GM to determine what happens to the PCs. In this case the goblins would likely kill the PCs. Depending on where the encounter took place, I might suggest to the players that the conscious PCs could wait and grab the corpses later after the goblins move on. That would at least save the cost of a body recovery.

Scarab Sages 5/5

Certainly, I could see a very good and viable justification for the goblins just outright killing the PCs. Which would require a 5pp body recovery followed by a 16pp raise dead and two (2) separate 4pp restoration.

But I could also see the Goblins taking them prisoner, and cage them up, in order to present them to their King for a grand feast later. Which would be extremely terrifying and great fodder for future RP quirks a character might have (especially the next time they run into Goblins.) And would only require a 5pp body recovery.

Depends on how nice you want to be, but either solution would be completely viable and fair in my book.

5/5 Venture-Agent, Netherlands—Utrecht aka Quentin Coldwater

Since Goblins are usually portrayed as sadistic little buggers, I'd say most of the time they'd kill (and probably eat) the party. If they're following orders, maybe they'll keep them alive for interrogation. If you put the name of the scenario in spoiler tags, we'll take a look which case would be the most likely.

Scarab Sages 5/5

Kwinten Koëter wrote:
Since Goblins are usually portrayed as sadistic little buggers, I'd say most of the time they'd kill (and probably eat) the party. If they're following orders, maybe they'll keep them alive for interrogation. If you put the name of the scenario in spoiler tags, we'll take a look which case would be the most likely.

Even if they aren't "under orders" they might not kill them immediately. After all:

Goblins: Freshes bloods tastes best warm and salty!

Scarab Sages 4/5 Venture-Captain, Utah—Utah County aka Yasha Vienne

1 person marked this as a favorite.

Ok, so it seems that the consensus is that if badies are relatively intelligent they might ransom or torture pcs but not kill.

for things that are driven by more base desires T-rex, shambling mound, bullette, or in this case goblins...

they would boil and eat the downed party (who were stable but left behind). so lots of meat and a side of leshy for veg and fiber.

alright, noted.
thanks all

Scarab Sages 4/5 Venture-Captain, Utah—Utah County aka Yasha Vienne

Kevin Willis wrote:


The story still comes to a conclusion, even if the characters aren't conscious to witness it.

please, please dont let my "animate dead just ends so i can use it again on the same creature because it wasnt destroyed".. crowd hear this though your point is understood... we just have some wierdos

4/5

Kwinten Koëter wrote:
Since Goblins are usually portrayed as sadistic little buggers, I'd say most of the time they'd kill (and probably eat) the party. If they're following orders, maybe they'll keep them alive for interrogation. If you put the name of the scenario in spoiler tags, we'll take a look which case would be the most likely.

Wow. I did not think that through, but if they eat the party does that force resurrection because you no longer have a whole corpse?

Scarab Sages 4/5

3 people marked this as a favorite.

It’s a judgement call from the GM whether or not they would kill the downed PCs. Without it being called out directly in tactics that they eat the corpses, I would not go there as a GM. Forcing a Resurrection when the scenario doesn’t call for something that would require it is going a step too far, I think. Got disintegrated? Fine. Ressurection it is. Got stabbed to death by a goblin, Raise Dead should be all that’s needed.

1/5

Pathfinder Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber

Also, did the rest of the party that fled REPORT this to their superiors?

Because the argument could be made that by doing so, and y'know, Exploring, Reporting, and COOPERATING that the Society was able to bail the fallen out of their situation before things got truly bad.

If it's a lower-level scenario or newer player group, also consider that a negative experience may drive new players away from the campaign, while balancing that with a reasonably plausible idea of how to make it work.

Silver Crusade 1/5

Thomas Hutchins wrote:
Sorry, I'm the gm and I made a ruling that I thought they'd be dead, these goblins liked the fresh meat. But I want to double check if there's a ruling since one person said that since they ran ending the scenario that it immediately ends and since they weren't dead yet they don't die.

A PFS session doesn't end until all of the book-keeping is done. See Chapter 4, p.19 of the Season 9 Guide: "Conditions, Death and Expendables".

Season 9 Guide wrote:
Conditions: Unless noted otherwise, all conditions gained during an adventure, including death, must be resolved before the end of the session. A condition in this context includes an affliction, a negative effect, or an effect that is intended to mechanically affect your character in a negative way. If such a condition isn’t resolved by the end of play, the character should be reported as dead and becomes unplayable."

Being at negative hit points, even if you are stable, is clearly a "condition" that mechanically affects a character in a negative way (at least, unless you have Diehard and are still fighting).

Silver Crusade 5/5

RealAlchemy wrote:


Wow. I did not think that through, but if they eat the party does that force resurrection because you no longer have a whole corpse?

If goblins managed to take down a party it almost certainly is very low level play and it won't matter at all if raise dead or resurrection is sufficient.

5/5 Venture-Agent, Netherlands—Utrecht aka Quentin Coldwater

RealAlchemy wrote:


Wow. I did not think that through, but if they eat the party does that force resurrection because you no longer have a whole corpse?

Whoops, did not mean to imply the need for a Resurrection spell. Regular Raise Dead would be enough.

Community / Forums / Organized Play / Pathfinder Society / Do they die? All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.