The Gauntlet Tournament and Unlocking a Playtest Bonus Blog


Prerelease Discussion

1 to 50 of 176 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | next > last >>
Paizo Employee Designer

8 people marked this as a favorite.

Hey everyone! The Gauntlet is a charity board game tournament that, as those of you who've been with us for a while might remember, Paizo won the very first year! Charitable donations to members of our team give us power-ups in the tournament. Each year, we've offered incentives for donations, starting with the first year's extremely successful incentive that Stephen would punch Jason in the face with the Gauntlet if we won.

This year, based on your donations, we will release a special Pathfinder Playtest blog revisiting some of the classes we’ve revealed so far and giving additional information! But how will we choose? Each team member has an associated class. For each team member that raises at least $500, the blog will include information about that team member’s class! In addition, we have a secret extra we’ll add to the blog if the team earns at least $3,000 in total! The team members and classes are as follows:

Andrew: Cleric
Katina: Rogue
Luis: Fighter
Mark: Paladin

This is going to be additional content that we otherwise weren't going to release before the playtest, which we're blog-a-tizing as an extra thank to all of you for your generosity.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Good luck, have fun!

Shouldn't this be a blog post or something for better visibility?

Paizo Employee Designer

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Thebazilly wrote:

Good luck, have fun!

Shouldn't this be a blog post or something for better visibility?

Not saying it definitely won't be in any blogs, but we didn't have everything lined up in time for a blog to go out before the end of the week, and there's not much time (the tournament is the Sunday after this one). I did announce it on the paladin Twitch stream though!

Paizo Employee Developer

4 people marked this as a favorite.

Fighters are the greatest, so everyone should donate to my page!


Pathfinder Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber

I didn't realize that the first year's incentive was to punch someone in the face with the trophy. I'm now both more horribly disturbed by this thing, and horribly amused, and horribly disturbed at being horribly amused.

*debates* *is it worth not eating lunch for a week for a chance for more information about Heresyadin?*

Grand Lodge

3 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Starfinder Maps Subscriber
Mark Seifter wrote:

Andrew: Cleric

Katina: Rogue
Luis: Fighter
Mark: Paladin

This is going to be additional content that we otherwise weren't going to release before the playtest, which we're blog-a-tizing as an extra thank to all of you for your generosity.

Neat! Katina, Luis and Andrew... Mark is going to be stiff competition since he’s always posting in here. So, you guys need to post here too! Tell us about why you are championing your class and your cause!

Woooot! Go team!

Hmm


Hmm wrote:
Mark Seifter wrote:

Andrew: Cleric

Katina: Rogue
Luis: Fighter
Mark: Paladin

This is going to be additional content that we otherwise weren't going to release before the playtest, which we're blog-a-tizing as an extra thank to all of you for your generosity.

Neat! Katina, Luis and Andrew... Mark is going to be stiff competition since he’s always posting in here. So, you guys need to post here too! Tell us about why you are championing your class and your cause!

Woooot! Go team!

Hmm

I just got hit with a 10k bill I wadn't expectin. So I'll be poking around to see what I can do. ^^;


Pathfinder Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber

Well, hopefully that little bit helps. You're halfway there Mark.


Paizo Superscriber; Pathfinder Companion, Pathfinder Accessories Subscriber; Starfinder Superscriber

Lucky for me no one is representing/championing an arcane caster.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Who do I throw money at to get info on the monk? ;)

Paizo Employee Designer

5 people marked this as a favorite.
graystone wrote:
Who do I throw money at to get info on the monk? ;)

We intentionally chose currently-revealed classes in part because I wanted to make sure we picked classes that already had their blogs and revealed info we otherwise simply weren't going to reveal, giving them an extra look by popular demand. I didn't want to give any kind of sense that we were "holding back" from the future classes or something like that.


Pathfinder Card Game, Companion, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Charter Superscriber

Great idea!


2 people marked this as a favorite.

I'm pretty sure the Paladin has this in the bag though I'd be happy to be surprised and for the Fighter to end up pushing through.

Paizo Employee Designer

3 people marked this as a favorite.
Arachnofiend wrote:
I'm pretty sure the Paladin has this in the bag though I'd be happy to be surprised and for the Fighter to end up pushing through.

It's not a race, necessarily. All of them can be in the blog if they all make $500!


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Mark Seifter wrote:
graystone wrote:
Who do I throw money at to get info on the monk? ;)
We intentionally chose currently-revealed classes in part because I wanted to make sure we picked classes that already had their blogs and revealed info we otherwise simply weren't going to reveal, giving them an extra look by popular demand. I didn't want to give any kind of sense that we were "holding back" from the future classes or something like that.

Bummer. I understand you reasoning, I'm just not 'chomping at the bit' for additional info on those 4. Good luck though! ;)


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Mark Seifter wrote:
Arachnofiend wrote:
I'm pretty sure the Paladin has this in the bag though I'd be happy to be surprised and for the Fighter to end up pushing through.
It's not a race, necessarily. All of them can be in the blog if they all make $500!

I read that, understood that, and ended up posting as if that wasn't the case anyways. Oops.

Hoping to get some interesting tidbits, then. Really want to see how far Paizo is willing to take Extraordinary abilities.

Liberty's Edge RPG Superstar 2008 Top 32, 2011 Top 16

2 people marked this as a favorite.

So my suggestion of monetizing the blogs IS happening!

Grand Lodge

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Starfinder Maps Subscriber

Only for charity. Interestingly, I’ll admit that the class in this list that interests me the most was the one that I didn’t donate to. I just like rooting for underdogs.

Hmm

PS Katina, I loved the way you personalized your appeal, and included an update. Nice job there! Go team customer service!


Paizo Superscriber; Pathfinder Companion, Pathfinder Accessories Subscriber; Starfinder Superscriber

Also wanted to say, Thank you.

For helping the charity cause, and for structuring it so that its not "one-sponsoree class wins" but any/all across the post!


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Mark Seifter wrote:
graystone wrote:
Who do I throw money at to get info on the monk? ;)
We intentionally chose currently-revealed classes in part because I wanted to make sure we picked classes that already had their blogs and revealed info we otherwise simply weren't going to reveal, giving them an extra look by popular demand. I didn't want to give any kind of sense that we were "holding back" from the future classes or something like that.

It's good for you that you work for Paizo, and not for videogames companies. EA would fire you for that.


Push for a good opportunity


Arachnofiend wrote:
I'm pretty sure the Paladin has this in the bag though I'd be happy to be surprised and for the Fighter to end up pushing through.

One would hope that the loud minority is also very charitable like they like to play. Also its not something lost, but something added and for charity so who cares.


Pathfinder Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber

Current funding:

Cleric: $113
Rogue: $343
Fighter: $388
Paladin: $288

I’m surprised, the Fighter is in the lead.


Pathfinder Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber

Pretty sure a reasonable chunk of people may want to know how to turn a Fighter into a massive Legendary tank without burning Feats on it.


Doesn't explain how well the Rogue is doing, though - or how poorly the Cleric is.

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Companion, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber

Poor Cleric :(


*casts Heal on the Cleric*


BretI wrote:

Current funding:

Cleric: $113
Rogue: $343
Fighter: $388
Paladin: $288

I’m surprised, the Fighter is in the lead.

I kind of get it. The Rogue and Fighter are good stand ins for the other mundane classes. We have been promised mundanes will be awesome this edition, and we are eager to see evidence of that. Both of these classes are sort of just solid work horses that give us a pretty good generic baseline.

The Cleric actually feels really well developed already, and we already get how powerful casters are, you know?

Liberty's Edge

The Cleric has also received a huge boost to $263 since that post, so things are a bit closer now.

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Companion, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber

Yay!

Paizo Employee Designer

6 people marked this as a favorite.
Captain Morgan wrote:
BretI wrote:

Current funding:

Cleric: $113
Rogue: $343
Fighter: $388
Paladin: $288

I’m surprised, the Fighter is in the lead.

I kind of get it. The Rogue and Fighter are good stand ins for the other mundane classes. We have been promised mundanes will be awesome this edition, and we are eager to see evidence of that. Both of these classes are sort of just solid work horses that give us a pretty good generic baseline.

The Cleric actually feels really well developed already, and we already get how powerful casters are, you know?

The fighter got a $150 influx after I posted in the fighter blog thread about it, though I didn't post elsewhere because I don't want to feel like I'm spamming threads. Also, I kind of don't want to bump the paladin blog because it might reignite the thread. We now have:

Fighter: $388
Rogue: $343
Paladin: $288
Cleric: $263

So with a little under a week to go, all of them are over halfway, and we're not quite halfway to the bonus goal. Looks like we may well have a lot of writing to do, if donations continue. Excellent!

From a tournament fundraising perspective, we have now passed WotC and Popcap for a barely above average 9th place in fundraising. If we unlock the final goal for the blog and other teams don't budge, we'll be in 4th place.

Grand Lodge

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Starfinder Maps Subscriber

Katina’s posted an update, individualized her appeal, and reposted it on Facebook, That’s part of the reason the rogue’s doing so well — she’s gone out and pushed for it.

I did repost your appeal to Pathfinder Society on Facebook, but not to the general Pathfinder Facebook page. Maybe a post there might ignite some more interest?

Hmm

Paizo Employee Designer

3 people marked this as a favorite.

Oh man, cleric is now up to $413, meaning it's poised to be the first class over the finish line for the blog.

Paizo Employee Designer

1 person marked this as a favorite.

And now, in a surprise twist, fighter is now exactly tied with cleric at $413!


Paladin still at $288?


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Maps, Pathfinder Accessories, Pawns, Starfinder Society Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber

Link to check team totals

CURRENT TEAM TOTALS

Scroll down to see how each class is doing individually
Scroll up and press the pink "Donate" button to donate

@Mark
Can someone edit that link into the OP, please?
And, can that page be edited to show the class each person is supporting?

Liberty's Edge

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion, Lost Omens, Pawns, Rulebook Subscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber
HWalsh wrote:
Paladin still at $288?

Paladin just crossed $300.


Shisumo wrote:
HWalsh wrote:
Paladin still at $288?
Paladin just crossed $300.

Yeah. I cheated. I popped the donate link onto my Twitter and asked people to back Mark.

I will not let us fall that far behind darn it.


Paizo Superscriber; Pathfinder Companion, Pathfinder Accessories Subscriber; Starfinder Superscriber

Fighter is only 22 away now!


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Maps, Pathfinder Accessories, Pawns, Starfinder Society Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber

Fighter goes over first, with $503

=============================
CURRENT TEAM TOTALS

Scroll down to see how each class is doing individually
Scroll up and press the pink "Donate" button to donate

Paizo Employee Developer

8 people marked this as a favorite.

Of course fighter gets the goal first. Battlefield surveyor does wonders for initiative! ;P


Paladin might not make it, i suspect because everyones tired of hearing about paladins XD


Ryan Freire wrote:
Paladin might not make it, i suspect because everyones tired of hearing about paladins XD

We'll make it. Its the way of the Paladin to do things the hard way.


Ryan Freire wrote:
Paladin might not make it, i suspect because everyones tired of hearing about paladins XD

While people may be fed up of Paladin alignment discussions, I got the definite impression people would be open to getting some information on mechanics of their abilities, as this was something the blog was light on.

Paizo Employee Designer

1 person marked this as a favorite.
HWalsh wrote:
Shisumo wrote:
HWalsh wrote:
Paladin still at $288?
Paladin just crossed $300.

Yeah. I cheated. I popped the donate link onto my Twitter and asked people to back Mark.

I will not let us fall that far behind darn it.

That isn't cheating. We actually got the first $200 from some exceptionally generous people on my Facebook fan page before even offering any incentive, so the paladin didn't draw much additional backing beyond that. It isn't one of the core four and is contentious, so I figured I would take on the toughest one because I was doing well already, like a true paladin.

Paizo Employee Designer

5 people marked this as a favorite.
CrystalSeas wrote:

Fighter goes over first, with $503

=============================
CURRENT TEAM TOTALS

Scroll down to see how each class is doing individually
Scroll up and press the pink "Donate" button to donate

As a team, we are now 7th place in the tournament for the purpose of power-ups (almost in the top 1/3), having passed Forrest-Pruzan and Twitch (not that they can't collect more and pass us in turn; we must remain vigilant). We are rapidly approaching Gen Con as well (this is the first time anyone at Paizo may have ever said this phrase in a non-stressful way), and over halfway to the secret bonus goal for the blog.

Silver Crusade

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Companion, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber

Cleric Blog unlocked :3

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Companion, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber
CrystalSeas wrote:

=============================

CURRENT TEAM TOTALS

Paizo as a whole is at $1,862

LESHY and Fighters is at $553

Flail Snail* and Clerics is at $503

Pun Goddess and Rogues is at $408

Cinnamon Roll and Paladins is at $368

*sorry Andrew, I don't know a lot about you ;_;


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Mark Seifter wrote:
HWalsh wrote:
Shisumo wrote:
HWalsh wrote:
Paladin still at $288?
Paladin just crossed $300.

Yeah. I cheated. I popped the donate link onto my Twitter and asked people to back Mark.

I will not let us fall that far behind darn it.

That isn't cheating. We actually got the first $200 from some exceptionally generous people on my Facebook fan page before even offering any incentive, so the paladin didn't draw much additional backing beyond that. It isn't one of the core four and is contentious, so I figured I would take on the toughest one because I was doing well already, like a true paladin.

A true Paladin would've burned everything down and blame it on the Rogue, get with the times man!

Hmm, I could've sworn my armor was glossier a moment ago...

Silver Crusade

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Companion, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber

They broke $2,000!

1 to 50 of 176 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Archive / Pathfinder / Playtests & Prerelease Discussions / Pathfinder Playtest / Pathfinder Playtest Prerelease Discussion / The Gauntlet Tournament and Unlocking a Playtest Bonus Blog All Messageboards