0-16 To Scale a Dragon - dog sled question


GM Discussion

Grand Lodge **** Venture-Lieutenant, Canada—Manitoba—Brandon aka kevin_video

From a GM going to run this on Wednesday:

“I have a rules issue For the game I’m running Wednesday.

The centre piece of the game(and why I choose it) is a dogsled race/combat. So this dog sled is pretty important.

It is described as being 16” wide and 6’ long. In the rules the party is given only the one sled.

One player is playing his Treesinger Druid, who has a large size tree companion. I just can’t see how he could bring it with him.

I do feel like the one sled is fudgable as a party of 7 would not fit on one sled.”

What would be the decision going forward on how this works?

Dark Archive *****

2 sleds.

****

Pathfinder Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Roleplaying Guild Subscriber

1 sled per 2 PCs per page 5. Note that the dogs each have 13 HP per the scenario. This applies equally to the Aspis teams. As I've said elsewhere, don't pin too much on the players playing the scenario as intended when a single Fireball will typically stop the encounter completely.

Grand Lodge **** Venture-Lieutenant, Canada—Manitoba—Brandon aka kevin_video

Again, the other question that's being brought up was what do you do with a large companion and the sled? The talk right now is that squeezing could be a thing, but then the druid couldn't fit. There's also the idea of using the companion instead of the dog, but the harness technically wouldn't fit or they'd just do a makeshift attempt with a skill roll and only move at 3/4x speed.

What would you guys do?

The Exchange ****

kevin_video wrote:

Again, the other question that's being brought up was what do you do with a large companion and the sled? The talk right now is that squeezing could be a thing, but then the druid couldn't fit. There's also the idea of using the companion instead of the dog, but the harness technically wouldn't fit or they'd just do a makeshift attempt with a skill roll and only move at 3/4x speed.

What would you guys do?

Have the Tree AC lay down and hook a team of dogs to it... instant sled. (18" wide and 6' long? Sounds like the tree trunk to me. "Please keep all limbs inside while the sled is in motion... "

:)

It's really going to freak the Aspis out when they stop and one of the sleds stands up though... LOL!

Not sure who would be rolling the Driving check though, the guy "riding" on the sled or the "Animal Companion"!

Sovereign Court **** Venture-Lieutenant, Netherlands—Leiden aka Ascalaphus

Yeah, the chances of the race playing out as envisioned by the author aren't that big. This is tier 5-9, not 1-5. There are SO MANY ways to destroy the Aspis' team of dogs. Shame cuz it's a neat picture.

** Venture-Agent, Ireland—Dublin aka EJDean

Lau Bannenberg wrote:
Yeah, the chances of the race playing out as envisioned by the author aren't that big. This is tier 5-9, not 1-5. There are SO MANY ways to destroy the Aspis' team of dogs. Shame cuz it's a neat picture.

Yeah, my experience running the sled race is that the party goes, "magic!" and the race ends.

Shadow Lodge ***** Venture-Lieutenant, California—San Francisco Bay Area North & East aka thistledown

I played my druid, wild shaped into a behemouth hippo or mammoth or something, then had a faster move speed then the dogs and could carry the other 3 party members. So we left the dogs at home. We tried to stick to the events as best we could, but most of the player side of the race rules got thrown out and the GM had to make a fair bit up.

Scarab Sages ***** Venture-Captain, Netherlands aka Woran

Spike E. Bits wrote:
kevin_video wrote:

Again, the other question that's being brought up was what do you do with a large companion and the sled? The talk right now is that squeezing could be a thing, but then the druid couldn't fit. There's also the idea of using the companion instead of the dog, but the harness technically wouldn't fit or they'd just do a makeshift attempt with a skill roll and only move at 3/4x speed.

What would you guys do?

Have the Tree AC lay down and hook a team of dogs to it... instant sled. (18" wide and 6' long? Sounds like the tree trunk to me. "Please keep all limbs inside while the sled is in motion... "

:)

It's really going to freak the Aspis out when they stop and one of the sleds stands up though... LOL!

Not sure who would be rolling the Driving check though, the guy "riding" on the sled or the "Animal Companion"!

I would totally do this.

Grand Lodge **** Venture-Lieutenant, Canada—Manitoba—Brandon aka kevin_video

The lodge GMs here disagreed with the tree sled idea saying that they'd just roll for damage for it being "dragged", eventually killing off the companion.

****

Pathfinder Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Roleplaying Guild Subscriber

The druid can sit on the tree as though it was a mount. The tree can sit on the sled. The dogs can strain from exertion.

The Exchange ****

kevin_video wrote:
The lodge GMs here disagreed with the tree sled idea saying that they'd just roll for damage for it being "dragged", eventually killing off the companion.

Just how much damage does being "dragged" thru snow do? and how do the normal sleds survive it? Never mind, clearly "the lodge GMs" would just come up with something else to nerf the idea. Sigh... Oh well... If I were the table judge we would totally go with this.

Scarab Sages ***** Venture-Captain, Netherlands aka Woran

Spike E. Bits wrote:
kevin_video wrote:
The lodge GMs here disagreed with the tree sled idea saying that they'd just roll for damage for it being "dragged", eventually killing off the companion.
Just how much damage does being "dragged" thru snow do? and how do the normal sleds survive it? Never mind, clearly "the lodge GMs" would just come up with something else to nerf the idea. Sigh... Oh well... If I were the table judge we would totally go with this.

Well, at least you got the idea out there. I'm sure I'll run To Scale the Dragon a few times more, and I hope I can get to use it because I think its an awesome idea :)

Grand Lodge **** Venture-Lieutenant, Canada—Manitoba—Brandon aka kevin_video

Tineke Bolleman wrote:
Spike E. Bits wrote:
kevin_video wrote:
The lodge GMs here disagreed with the tree sled idea saying that they'd just roll for damage for it being "dragged", eventually killing off the companion.
Just how much damage does being "dragged" thru snow do? and how do the normal sleds survive it? Never mind, clearly "the lodge GMs" would just come up with something else to nerf the idea. Sigh... Oh well... If I were the table judge we would totally go with this.
Well, at least you got the idea out there. I'm sure I'll run To Scale the Dragon a few times more, and I hope I can get to use it because I think its an awesome idea :)

I do too. I like the idea overall. Definitely thinking outside the box, and I respect that.

Community / Forums / Organized Play / GM Discussion / 0-16 To Scale a Dragon - dog sled question All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.