NPC and Prestige Classes


General Discussion


IIRC, Pathfinder provides options for specialized subclasses that players can take as they march towards omnipotence. And there are also special classes reserved or NPCs that are not quite as good as the PC classes but provide advantages over being Level 0.

Are either of these going to exist in Starfinder at some point? Should they? And would people use them if they did?


I don't see much call for NPC classes. NPCs don't use the same mechanics as PCs after all.


Pathfinder Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber

I don't think Starfinder will ever have NPC classes or Prestige classes.

As Ikiry0 said, NPCs don't use the same underlying mechanics as PCs, so there's no need for NPC-specific classes. There are three "implicit" NPC classes - combatant, expert, and spellcaster - that work like an NPC class would in Pathfinder, providing the NPC with the appropriate skills and abilities for its role.

Starfinder has, I think, replaced the concept of Prestige classes with the new archetype system (which should not, under any pretense, be confused with or compared to Pathfinder's archetypes). The archetypes in the CRB have not proven to be terribly popular, but the underlying system is, I think, quite robust and can support the niche flavor and abilities that Prestige classes provide in a more consistent and player-friendly fashion.


Jimbles the Mediocre wrote:
Starfinder has, I think, replaced the concept of Prestige classes with the new archetype system (which should not, under any pretense, be confused with or compared to Pathfinder's archetypes). The archetypes in the CRB have not proven to be terribly popular, but the underlying system is, I think, quite robust and can support the niche flavor and abilities that Prestige classes provide in a more consistent and player-friendly fashion.

I think a chunk of it that they are just not particular unique or interesting. They are 'Generic explorer' (Something that the skills already cover fine) and 'Sorta half baked psionic stuff'.


Pathfinder Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Ikiry0 wrote:
I think a chunk of it that they are just not particular unique or interesting. They are 'Generic explorer' (Something that the skills already cover fine) and 'Sorta half baked psionic stuff'.

I can't really disagree with that. Hopefully the Pact Worlds' new archetypes ("including the Star Knight, Skyfire Centurion, and Divine Champion") will be more interesting. I would love to see some archetypes in APs that allow PCs to take them at later levels.


Starfinder Superscriber

If the new archetypes coming out do a better job of providing something unique and flavorful that isn't already available or weaker than what else exists in the classes, I don't think we'll need PrC's. Especially if any of them allow you to combine the abilities of two or more classes in novel ways the way (some) PrC's did in 3.5/PF.

I really just want more (and more varied) base classes and options for base classes, first, though. But I seem to be in the minority on that.


Pathfinder Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber
pithica42 wrote:
I really just want more (and more varied) base classes and options for base classes, first, though. But I seem to be in the minority on that.

I think more options for the core classes is going to be a large part of Pact Worlds, actually. The classes are very deliberately designed for easy expansion; I would expect to see new additions to to every talent library and collection of subclasses.

New classes, though? That will be some time, I think.


Starfinder Superscriber

Yeah, I'm not holding my breath. I expect it'll happen at some point in 2019, if I'm lucky.


Jimbles the Mediocre wrote:

I can't really disagree with that. Hopefully the Pact Worlds' new archetypes ("including the Star Knight, Skyfire Centurion, and Divine Champion") will be more interesting. I would love to see some archetypes in APs that allow PCs to take them at later levels.

ohh when is that book slated to come out?


Pact Worlds is end of March.

Armory in July.


As for prestige classes, the one idea that crosses my mind is one that combines mechanic, operative, and maybe technomancer abilities. Why? I keep picturing a character who either directly or with a drone sneaks through a ships vents, slips out and hacks or sabotages systems, only to return with both info and with damage inflicted unnoticed on the ship.


FirstChAoS wrote:
As for prestige classes, the one idea that crosses my mind is one that combines mechanic, operative, and maybe technomancer abilities. Why? I keep picturing a character who either directly or with a drone sneaks through a ships vents, slips out and hacks or sabotages systems, only to return with both info and with damage inflicted unnoticed on the ship.

Why wouldn't that simply be done as an archetype, applicable to any class that wishes to focus on stealth and intrusion?

Dark Archive

1 person marked this as a favorite.

I would like to see an archetype created for each class to act as another version of multi-classing. Basically giving you a taste of a second class to go with your main.

Example Technomancer Archetype:

2nd Level: Gain Technomantic Dabbler as a bonus feat, even if you don't meet the prereqs.

4th Level: Gain a 2nd level magic hack

6th level: Learn an additional first level spell with technomantic dabbler. learn a single second level spell. You can cast it once per day per 5 levels.

9th Level: Gain a magic hack of 5th level or lower

12th level: Learn an additional 1st and 2nd level spell. Learn a 3rd level spell you can cast third level spells once per day once per 8 levels.

18th level: Gain an 8th level magic hack.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Cyber mage, I tried to do this and have created achetypes for all but the caster classes. Here's a link to the thread where I posted it. Take a look and let me know what you think. I would love to see an official version, but for now homebrew will have to do.

multiclass archtypes

Dark Archive

Added some comments to your Multiclass post.

Community / Forums / Starfinder / Starfinder General Discussion / NPC and Prestige Classes All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.
Recent threads in Starfinder General Discussion