Do crow capable using rod ?


Pathfinder First Edition General Discussion


1 person marked this as a favorite.

My dm said, if creature want to use item. It should have hand, but crow have its legs that able to carry something.

Should i buy metamagic rod for it ?

Or dont buy ?


hellatze wrote:

My dm said, if creature want to use item. It should have hand, but crow have its legs that able to carry something.

Should i buy metamagic rod for it ?

Or dont buy ?

Very interested in this as well - Paying a ranger now and will soon have to choose an animal companion:-)


Blog says no

Quote:
No animal, plant, or vermin companions can wield weapons or activate magic items, with the exception of the imp granted by the diabolist prestige class, which uses the rules for an imp familiar (See "Can my familiar wield weapons or use magic items?").

Dark Archive

I think there is one module with crow that uses magic items?


Obscure citations wrote:

Blog says no

Quote:
No animal, plant, or vermin companions can wield weapons or activate magic items, with the exception of the imp granted by the diabolist prestige class, which uses the rules for an imp familiar (See "Can my familiar wield weapons or use magic items?").

That's PFS, which is stricter than PF requires. Critters can do a lot more outside PFS.

Scarab Sages

Fuzzy-Wuzzy wrote:

That's PFS, which is stricter than PF requires. Critters can do a lot more outside PFS.

Which, in turn, doesn't hold a candle to what they can do outside PF!


so its allowed or not ?


UW says avians and bipeds can grasp items, so there in no question there. If that's that's the only issue, you're set.


In PFS, no, because PFS is all about nofunallowed and getting the mission done as fast as possible. Outside of PFS the bird needs to be able to hold the rod (which it can) activate it (usually either pressing a button or saying a word) which a crow can do. and lastly it needs a minimum int of 3-4

Scarab Sages

1 person marked this as a favorite.
DeusTerran wrote:
and lastly it needs a minimum int of 3-4

Which, really, these animals should have a minimum of already. There should absolutely be a [Sapient] subtype for animals like cetaceans, corvids, parrots, apes, cephalopods, and Elysium-only-knows what else, with base INT scores ranging from 3 to at least 8!


I DID notice something that might make it difficult for the crow, the weight. Rods weigh between 5 and 10 lbs while a crow's light carry is 3 lbs, medium 6.5 and heavy of 10.


Don't buy a rod for the crow.
Since it does not cast spells, the rod is of no use to it.

Wands and staves, might be OK, but the needed UMD could be an issue.

/cevah


1 person marked this as a favorite.

It shouldn't have any issues with a Charlatan's Symbol only 1K gold if you can craft wondrous items
then 750 gold for the wand of your choice and it can cast something like protection from evil on you the first round of every combat or cure light wounds when you are injured.


you can buy your crow any rod you please...
flying with it or using it(activation) is another matter.
I'd question whether a regular crow can grasp the concept of 'owning' a rod or really big stick... they do like small shiny objects that they can pick up with their beak, probably 1-15g.
If your GM lets you do it - then go for it.


Well, there are these crows:
Witchcrow
Greater Witchcrow

They will certainly grasp the concept and may even be able to use it.

/cevah


I can use belt and headband.

So it isnt anybissue how to modyfy my familiar.

The question is is it allowed or not ? (To use magic item)

Liberty's Edge

So are you saying the crow is your familiar?


Marc Radle wrote:
So are you saying the crow is your familiar?

Yes...


hellatze wrote:

I can use belt and headband.

So it isnt anybissue how to modyfy my familiar.

The question is is it allowed or not ? (To use magic item)

Some of us would allow this (depending on item), some of us wouldn't.

But the person who's answer actually matters is your DM....

This, by the way, is ALWAYS the answer (unless you're playing in the PFS).
DM > book/errata/game designers.

So make your case to the DM, don't be annoying about it, & accept their ruling.

Community / Forums / Pathfinder / Pathfinder First Edition / General Discussion / Do crow capable using rod ? All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.