Solo A Star Wars Story


Movies

101 to 150 of 181 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | next > last >>

1 person marked this as a favorite.

Looking at the tenative schedule, it appears we're getting the following Star Wars movies:

2019: Episode IX
2020: Obi-Wan movie
2020: Boba Fett movie (those may be flipped)
2021: Rian Johnson Trilogy Movie #1
2021: Solo sequel?
2022: Benioff & Weiss Trilogy Movie #2
2022: Who the hell knows? Yoda: The Young Years

At the same time we have Star Wars: Resistance (the new animated show) starting this September and the live-action Star Wars TV series starting (probably) late 2019.

I like Star Wars but I feel this is a bit too much content. People, even hardcore Star Wars fans, seem to be getting overloaded already. This approach works with Marvel because Marvel has a lot of tonal variation and experimentation between films that works quite well, and they have a vast amount of source material (hundreds of titles, 32,000 individual issues and rising published over 70 years). Star Wars doesn't quite have that, even in the EU books and comics.

I think they need to calm down and work out some kind of master plan, which is also something that benefited Marvel a lot.


Black Dougal wrote:
Hama wrote:
It's out in my country. People say it's pretty meh. A bad space western.
Didn't we already have that? It was called Serenity. But I don't recall it being that bad.

I do.


Werthead wrote:

A very good film. Comfortably superior to The Last Jedi, a fair bit better than Rogue One, a bit better than The Force Awakens. It goes in some very surprising directions which I wasn't expecting, although some of them are a bit too obviously setting up a sequel.

The most enjoyable thing about the movie was ** spoiler omitted **

That's not true. That's impossible.


4 people marked this as a favorite.

Its not impossible. I shot Rogue ones in my T-16 back home and their not much bigger than 2 meters

Sovereign Court

Selene Spires wrote:

Saw it last night it was a fun space heist movie. I don't get the hate...or the empty theater. It is so much better than Last Jedi...great action...a storyline that makes sense...some surprises...etc.

My favorite things were...

** spoiler omitted **

Because most people choose to boycott the film hoping it will flop so that Disney removes that Kennedy woman from the chair she's occupying currently and put someoene competent in her place, preferably one without a SJW agenda to push on the audiences.

Sovereign Court

And it flopped in china, badly, according to the news.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Hama wrote:
Selene Spires wrote:

Saw it last night it was a fun space heist movie. I don't get the hate...or the empty theater. It is so much better than Last Jedi...great action...a storyline that makes sense...some surprises...etc.

My favorite things were...

** spoiler omitted **

Because most people choose to boycott the film hoping it will flop so that Disney removes that Kennedy woman from the chair she's occupying currently and put someoene competent in her place, preferably one without a SJW agenda to push on the audiences.

Yeah...stupid reason there. As this movie really did not have a SJW agenda being pushed...sadly it is their lost.


Hama wrote:
Selene Spires wrote:

Saw it last night it was a fun space heist movie. I don't get the hate...or the empty theater. It is so much better than Last Jedi...great action...a storyline that makes sense...some surprises...etc.

My favorite things were...

** spoiler omitted **

Because most people choose to boycott the film hoping it will flop so that Disney removes that Kennedy woman from the chair she's occupying currently and put someoene competent in her place, preferably one without a SJW agenda to push on the audiences.

The Last Jedi didn't make as much money as The Force Awakens. The Force Awakens had a great advantage though as it was the first SW movie in a decade so the anticipation and the decent reviews, as well as the appearance of the original cast, contributed to the massive box office of that film (2+Billion world wide from a 245million budget).

The Last Jedi in comparison made 1.3 Billion off of a budget similar to that of TFA.
There was a Star Wars fix in between TFA and TLJ in the form of Rogue One which made 1+ billion.

Disney bought Lucasfilm in 2012 for 4 BILLION DOLLARS. It's 2018. Six years later I'm pretty sure that the purchase has paid for itself.

We haven't included the money made from licensing which you can probably easily tag on at least another billion.

So I guess my question is this:

On what planet, would anyone want to get rid of Kathleen Kennedy because of her perceived "failure" in running Lucasfilm? Except in the minds of some deranged fanboys? She's not going anywhere unless she decides to leave.


3 people marked this as a favorite.
Selene Spires wrote:
Hama wrote:
Selene Spires wrote:

Saw it last night it was a fun space heist movie. I don't get the hate...or the empty theater. It is so much better than Last Jedi...great action...a storyline that makes sense...some surprises...etc.

My favorite things were...

** spoiler omitted **

Because most people choose to boycott the film hoping it will flop so that Disney removes that Kennedy woman from the chair she's occupying currently and put someoene competent in her place, preferably one without a SJW agenda to push on the audiences.
Yeah...stupid reason there. As this movie really did not have a SJW agenda being pushed...sadly it is their lost.

Basically, the movie's theme of "the Force is for EVERYONE" echoes the filmmakers' idea that "Star Wars is for EVERYONE" has upset the fanboys so much that they call that Social Justice Warring. Which is pretty telling since if everyone can love Star Wars they should be able to see themselves in that universe. I mean every form of alien and droid is FINE but a woman or a person of color as a lead character? YOU"VE GONE TOO FAR KENNEDY!!!

Also, the use of SJW in a conversation is usually an indicator that I probably shouldn't be engaging in conversation with that person...


4 people marked this as a favorite.

Dammit. I wasn't paying much attention to this and wasn't going to bother to see it in the theater - I don't see a lot of movies in the theater and I just saw Avengers.

But if the alt-right is rallying people against it's SJW agenda, that's a good incentive to show up. :)

Sovereign Court

Selene Spires wrote:
Hama wrote:
Selene Spires wrote:

Saw it last night it was a fun space heist movie. I don't get the hate...or the empty theater. It is so much better than Last Jedi...great action...a storyline that makes sense...some surprises...etc.

My favorite things were...

** spoiler omitted **

Because most people choose to boycott the film hoping it will flop so that Disney removes that Kennedy woman from the chair she's occupying currently and put someoene competent in her place, preferably one without a SJW agenda to push on the audiences.
Yeah...stupid reason there. As this movie really did not have a SJW agenda being pushed...sadly it is their lost.

Spoiler:
The droid and the pansexual Lando Calrissian.

@Hama....really?

:
The droid's stance on druid liberation was a joke...

And Lando's pansexuality came from the orginal writer apparently...and really did not come up at all in the film.

As I said...stupid.

Liberty's Edge

Just saw the movie.

I really liked it! It was a lot of fun, the actors were all excellent - Glover was amazing as Lando, Alden absolutely nailed young Han, and Chewie is just awesome.

The story was interesting, there was lots of action, plenty of humor but it was all organic and grew naturally from the story.

Honestly, it was a really good summer movie and a REALLY good Star Wars movie!


1 person marked this as a favorite.

I just saw it as a number of friends gave it positive word of mouth. And I think it will need it as in my theatre of 340 seats there were only 8 people (on the first day of showing).

Anyway, it was good and I think one thing that benefited it was the lack of over exposure ahead of time. What I mean that every scene you saw in the trailers was actually in the movie (imagine that). Not necessarily in the spot you thought it would be, but that is fine. That is what puts this movie well ahead of Rogue One for me. I still dislike being prepped for a movie and things i expected to see never show up.

It goes without saying that this feels like a more coherent film to me than TLJ or TFA, which is amazing considering the change in directors and all the drama associated. I especially liked all the "non-canon" EU references which I guess are canon again. In that sense it feels more tied to the SW universe I know.

I can harp on small details,(like did Corellia make Victory class Star Destoyers?), but overall this movie actually entertained me much more than I expected.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Selene Spires wrote:

@Hama....really?

** spoiler omitted **

As I said...stupid.

that droid movement has been going on in star wars for some time. Daystar(I think)? They are not particulalrly popular in universe.

Look, if original rogue squadron pilots can be in the closet or furries, lando can pour colt 45 over whomever he so wishes.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Hama wrote:
Because most people choose to boycott the film hoping it will flop so that Disney removes that Kennedy woman from the chair she's occupying currently and put someoene competent in her place, preferably one without a SJW agenda to push on the audiences.

Fortunately these people are an extremely regressive lunatic fringe whose opinions can be discounted, filed away somewhere and then fired into the sun.

There are numerous problems with THE LAST JEDI relating to plot, structure and logic, but the things some people screamed incoherently about ("WHY ARE ASIANS IN STAR WARS?" seemed to be a particularly inexplicable one) definitely weren't among them.


So if we are going to talk about ranking the various new wave of films, I think I actually appreciated The Last Jedi the most, followed by Rogue One, Solo, and The Force Awakens.

I saw Solo last night and it was a...fine film. That is about it. An enjoyable way to spend a few hours.

I think my concerns going forward are similar to Werthead's. The more Star Wars movies made, the less magical they become. They just become regular movies, and don't get that awe effect helping them cover up their deficits or putting them in people's favorites.

The biggest issue for me though, that that the folks behind Star Wars seem absolutely terrified of doing anything new, constantly bringing things back to the original trilogy. All that does is make the galaxy smaller and the films seem more cookie cutter. Every one of the New movies have done this, and I am not just talking about the anthology movies depicting some backstory event.

Give us a movie series set in the Old Republic or at other time periods. Introduce new threats. Create characters that can go off and do their own completely different things. Sacrifice sacred cows. Just because I love the original trilogy doesn't mean I want to see 50 million variations on it.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Werthead wrote:
Hama wrote:
Because most people choose to boycott the film hoping it will flop so that Disney removes that Kennedy woman from the chair she's occupying currently and put someoene competent in her place, preferably one without a SJW agenda to push on the audiences.

Fortunately these people are an extremely regressive lunatic fringe whose opinions can be discounted, filed away somewhere and then fired into the sun.

There are numerous problems with THE LAST JEDI relating to plot, structure and logic, but the things some people screamed incoherently about ("WHY ARE ASIANS IN STAR WARS?" seemed to be a particularly inexplicable one) definitely weren't among them.

If people aren't seeing Solo, it's almost certainly not due to some sort of Anti-SJW movement. It's almost entirely due to:

1) Disappointment with prior movies
2) Loss of novelty of Star Wars
3) Poor release schedule (A week after Deadpool 2 and coming on the heels of Infinity War
4) People hearing a million stories of the troubled development history of this movie
5) People not wanting to see Han recast
6) People not really feeling all that interested in seeing Han's backstory.


MMCJawa wrote:
Werthead wrote:
Hama wrote:
Because most people choose to boycott the film hoping it will flop so that Disney removes that Kennedy woman from the chair she's occupying currently and put someoene competent in her place, preferably one without a SJW agenda to push on the audiences.

Fortunately these people are an extremely regressive lunatic fringe whose opinions can be discounted, filed away somewhere and then fired into the sun.

There are numerous problems with THE LAST JEDI relating to plot, structure and logic, but the things some people screamed incoherently about ("WHY ARE ASIANS IN STAR WARS?" seemed to be a particularly inexplicable one) definitely weren't among them.

If people aren't seeing Solo, it's almost certainly not due to some sort of Anti-SJW movement. It's almost entirely due to:

1) Disappointment with prior movies
2) Loss of novelty of Star Wars
3) Poor release schedule (A week after Deadpool 2 and coming on the heels of Infinity War
4) People hearing a million stories of the troubled development history of this movie
5) People not wanting to see Han recast
6) People not really feeling all that interested in seeing Han's backstory.

I can tell you that FOR ME it's mostly 6) and maybe, MAYBE a little bit of 2).

I bought my ticket today for a 11:30am show and I'm still wavering between going or canceling my ticket and staying home and painting more Necrons for my 40K army. The only reason I'm leaning towards still going is that it's beautiful out and I might walk down to the east village afterward just to get a little bit of exercise.

I'm not excited about this movie at all. I mean if I'm surprised by it that will be AWESOME. But when I went to buy my ticket this morning there were plenty of seats to choose from whereas when I bought tickets for Deadpool 2 in the same theater last weekend it was almost sold out THE DAY BEFORE.


MMCJawa wrote:

If people aren't seeing Solo, it's almost certainly not due to some sort of Anti-SJW movement. It's almost entirely due to:

1) Disappointment with prior movies
2) Loss of novelty of Star Wars
3) Poor release schedule (A week after Deadpool 2 and coming on the heels of Infinity War
4) People hearing a million stories of the troubled development history of this movie
5) People not wanting to see Han recast
6) People not really feeling all that interested in seeing Han's backstory.

I agree with all of that. I think the primary issue is that Han's backstory is not something people are really interested in. The Obi-Wan movie I think has better traction because people want to see Ewan McGregor play Obi-Wan in a movie written and directed by someone competent, plus it'd be a whole new story without a lot of limitations beyond Obi-Wan not dying in it.

The timing is also a bit inexplicable. Delaying the film until Christmas would have made way more sense, as well as from a merchandising POV (putting a new version of the Falcon out when Last Jedi merchandise is still on the shelves is weird). I think maybe Disney were doing a field-test for later on and seeing if people would tolerate Star Wars movies being released more closely together like Marvel. Based on the box office, which is under expectations (although not disastrous), it looks like the answer to that is no.


I won't watch it for the same reason I haven't watched any Star Wars movie since Phantom Menace.

Jar-Jar Binks.

We must never forget.

Although I would love to see what Donald Glover does with Lando.

Liberty's Edge

2 people marked this as a favorite.
captain yesterday wrote:

I won't watch it for the same reason I haven't watched any Star Wars movie since Phantom Menace.

Jar-Jar Binks.

We must never forget.

Although I would love to see what Donald Glover does with Lando.

Donald Glover is GREAT as Lando.

The movie honestly was pretty good - I enjoyed it. I think people should check it out and then decide for themselves instead of not go just because of previous movies. This one is worth your time.


Donald Glover and his droid are by far the two best things about this movie. I would definitely pay money to see more Lando.


captain yesterday wrote:

I won't watch it for the same reason I haven't watched any Star Wars movie since Phantom Menace.

Jar-Jar Binks.

We must never forget.

Although I would love to see what Donald Glover does with Lando.

I kind of don't understand that mentality? George Lucas (for good or ill) is not involved in the new Star Wars movies.


You don't have to understand, we all have our arbitrary lines in the sand. :-)


ShinHakkaider wrote:

I can tell you that FOR ME it's mostly 6) and maybe, MAYBE a little bit of 2).

I bought my ticket today for a 11:30am show and I'm still wavering between going or canceling my ticket and staying home and painting more Necrons for my 40K army. The only reason I'm leaning towards still going is that it's beautiful out and I might walk down to the east village afterward just to get a little bit of exercise.

I'm not excited about this movie at all. I mean if I'm surprised by it that will be AWESOME. But when I went to buy my ticket this morning there were plenty of seats to choose from whereas when I bought tickets for Deadpool 2 in the same theater last weekend it was almost sold out THE DAY BEFORE.

Honestly Shin, it's not a bad movie. I saw it yesterday afternoon, and don't regret the purchase. There's some good SW easter eggs scattered throughout, the acting is all pretty good, L3-37 is pretty awesome and actually made me laugh a few times, and Donald Glover's Lando is perfection.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

So I just got back from seeing SOLO and I have to say I enjoyed it a bit more than I thought I would. I thought the scale was right, the stakes were right and the performances were solid. A little taken aback but a something near the end but I recovered quickly and had to smile.

Not the best Star Wars movie but pretty enjoyable.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

My favorite part of the ending was watching a 10 year old explain it to her parents...

Kind of a nice reminder that these movies are also for kids, not just us nerdy 30 somethings :P


MMCJawa wrote:

My favorite part of the ending was watching a 10 year old explain it to her parents...

Kind of a nice reminder that these movies are also for kids, not just us nerdy 30 somethings :P

SOLO Spoiler:
Yeah, Lucasfilm really isn't playing around when they say that the animated series is canon are they. I'm glad and was straight up surprised to see YOU KNOW WHO as the head of Crimson Dawn. At first I was like HOW?!? and then I was like "Oh wait..."

1 person marked this as a favorite.

Yeah that was great!

Although it sort of left me confused on what exactly this means for the movies...


1 person marked this as a favorite.
MMCJawa wrote:

Yeah that was great!

Although it sort of left me confused on what exactly this means for the movies...

I think it's fairly straightforward:

Spoiler:
They're not going to contradict REBELS, so I suspect Maul will remain a behind-the-scenes menace in SOLO 2 with Jabba and/or Qi'ra picking up the main villain role. For the purposes of the cinema audiences, they can also ties this in with the Obi-Wan movie, by simply having Maul showing up to kill Obi-Wan and Obi-Wan killing him in the same fashion as in REBELS (obviously skipping the Ezra/Kanan scene) and then going on another adventure afterwards. That way the cinema-only crowd know what's happened.


Werthead wrote:
MMCJawa wrote:

Yeah that was great!

Although it sort of left me confused on what exactly this means for the movies...

I think it's fairly straightforward:

** spoiler omitted **

Wert, I want to address one of your earlier points, I absolutely agree that Lucasfilm need to slow down and have some deep thoughts about their product. My biggest issue with TLJ is the fact that by swerving away from all the setups in TFA, it says there is no master plan. Sure George didn't really have one either, and for 35 years its bugged the hell out of me that Luke and Leia became siblings when clearly that wasn't originally intended.

But despite that, the original trilogy worked. I just feel the latest trilogy is a non linear mess. I have no interest in seeing episode 9 regardless of who directs because its clear Disney is just winging it.

Hell, I would not be surprised to see a movie about BB8 and how Kylo Ren made him when he was five. Whatever moves toy sales.

Anyway, They really do need to worry about market saturation, but they don't get its a risk. They probably won't get the message even if Solo performs sub expectations.


I liked it. It's a Han Solo origin story and you would expect pretty much what you get. Just enjoy it. They managed to explain why the Kessel Run was described in terms of distance rather than time - I loved that (despite not buying the physics for a moment), it's bugged me ever since the first film. I think the thing I liked the most was

Spoiler:
in approaching a narrowing gap Han is confident he can get the Falcon through and asks Qi'ra whether she remembers the speeder chase and the alley on Corellia and she replies (approximately) "Yes! It didn't work!!!"


2 people marked this as a favorite.

I was pleasantly surprised. I went in totally not sold on the actor playing Young Han and figured if the only thing I liked was Donald Glover's Lando I'd be getting my (matinee showing) money's worth, but I really enjoyed it. Still hoping for a Lando movie, though.

Sovereign Court

Seen it. Utterly unimpressed.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

yep, saw it this weekend. I enjoyed it a lot.

There were so many things that I could have HATED about it... but they didn't do it.

Spoilers:
Han not Flying the ship. Han cheating to win the falcon. Han taking a backseat to the new girl in his own movie... Han and Chewie meeting...

So many rumored pitfalls that could have ruined the movie for me... but they dodged them all. What I wanted to see I saw... what I never wanted in the movie... wasn't there...

THIS felt like a movie made by a fan of the original series. Not someone trying to reinvent a wheel... or put their own mark on it... It begins where it has to, Ends where it has to and includes what we want to see.

Frankly it's a prequel the likes that Star Wars has never seen O.O


Black Dougal wrote:

Read an interesting story today noting that for the first time since 1977, an upcoming Star Wars movie is not guaranteed to win its opening weekend nor for that matter be close to the highest gross for the year:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2018/01/03/solo-star-wars-box-o ffice-avengers-last-jedi/#637657c558d8

well, it won its opening weekend but definitely not the highest grossing film for the year, lucky if it breaks even after marketing costs.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Saw this and thought of Freehold.

https://tdsod.deviantart.com/art/Y-Wing-Death-Star-Attack-748658627


Black Dougal wrote:

Saw this and thought of Freehold.

https://tdsod.deviantart.com/art/Y-Wing-Death-Star-Attack-748658627

ooc THANKS MAN

Sovereign Court

Black Dougal wrote:

Saw this and thought of Freehold.

Linkified


Hama wrote:
Black Dougal wrote:

Saw this and thought of Freehold.

Linkified

YEAAAAAAH!


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Motley fool has a good run down on the current state of the franchise.

https://www.fool.com/investing/2018/07/01/is-disneys-star-wars-universe-imp loding.aspx


6 people marked this as a favorite.
Black Dougal wrote:

Motley fool has a good run down on the current state of the franchise.

https://www.fool.com/investing/2018/07/01/is-disneys-star-wars-universe-imp loding.aspx

That was thin. Basically the argument is, "The LAST JEDI sucks and that's it," which is a feebly reductionist argument, not to mention untrue (the movie has had a divisive reaction, yes, but more like 50/50 than everyone hates it). I'm also a bit sceptical of anyone who says, like a fact, that the new cast are widely disliked when that is clearly untrue, and one of the core consistent criticisms of THE LAST JEDI is that it lets down the new characters like Poe, Rey and Finn as well as older ones.

Also, there appears to be no truth at all to the idea that the Obi-Wan film is being retooled as a TV movie (I can see that happening with the Boba Fett movie, or the Fett movie being killed altogether but it's just a terrible idea).

The more likely reasons why the new STAR WARS movies are struggling are altogether more complex and numerous. They range from an overload of pointless prequels that don't need to exist to franchise fatigue to the international lack of interest in STAR WARS versus Marvel, and Lucasfilm trying to rush into building an MCU-level of ubiquitousness (totally a word) without putting in all the legwork first. The divisiveness of THE LAST JEDI is a problem, but also not quite as extreme as has been presented elsewhere (Episode IX will be a much bigger test of the franchise's legs, long-term).

Disney have made a profit on their deal, which is good, but it's also true that the STAR WARS franchise is starting to underperform relative to its potential. Just saying, "Yaar, THE LAST JEDI suxxxx0r and that's all there is to it," is silly. Especially when it then tries to sell me stocks.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

All your points are valid, but I also wouldn't discount the impact that Lucasfilm staffers are having in turning off core fans. I have a rabid fan since 1977, but my enthusiasm is fading very fast.

I think Lucasfilm would have been better off not responding to internet trolls, but instead they have attacked them at every turn. In doing so, they appear incapable of acknowledging some serious issues in their narrative design process.

For example, by killing off the legacy characters and removing all the plot setups for Rey et al that TFA established, it leaves me wondering, what emotional investment do I have in the next film. Not very much.

And to constantly read comments from Lucasfilm that because I didn't enjoy these movies I am the problem, being a 40 something white male, well, I start to wonder what the heck is going on. It's just a weird business approach.

Anyway, I know there is a large cohort like me out there who stayed loyal consumers because we loved the original franchise and let us remember our childhoods. But that nostalgia glow is gone now. And so expect more franchise fatigue as an entire audience cohort that in the past went to the movie six or seven times in the theatre, bought the DVD's etc. decides instead to watch Altered carbon on Netflix instead.


3 people marked this as a favorite.
Black Dougal wrote:

All your points are valid, but I also wouldn't discount the impact that Lucasfilm staffers are having in turning off core fans. I have a rabid fan since 1977, but my enthusiasm is fading very fast.

I think Lucasfilm would have been better off not responding to internet trolls, but instead they have attacked them at every turn. In doing so, they appear incapable of acknowledging some serious issues in their narrative design process.

For example, by killing off the legacy characters and removing all the plot setups for Rey et al that TFA established, it leaves me wondering, what emotional investment do I have in the next film. Not very much.

And to constantly read comments from Lucasfilm that because I didn't enjoy these movies I am the problem, being a 40 something white male, well, I start to wonder what the heck is going on. It's just a weird business approach.

Anyway, I know there is a large cohort like me out there who stayed loyal consumers because we loved the original franchise and let us remember our childhoods. But that nostalgia glow is gone now. And so expect more franchise fatigue as an entire audience cohort that in the past went to the movie six or seven times in the theatre, bought the DVD's etc. decides instead to watch Altered carbon on Netflix instead.

star wars/lucasfilm has always had trouble dealing with loud internet fans and trolls. As someone who hates jar jar binks, I do wish they would listen to their fans more often. As someone who was disgusted by the rape and death threats sent to Kelly Marie Tran, I wish fans would shut up.

Liberty's Edge

If Disney can put out 3 good to great Marvel movies a year, they should be able to put out 3 good Star Wars movies a year.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
CapeCodRPGer wrote:
If Disney can put out 3 good to great Marvel movies a year, they should be able to put out 3 good Star Wars movies a year.

I don't think that's a given.

Marvel Comics has published approximately 37,000 individual comic issues spread over (at least) 500 titles over 70 years. Hundreds of writers and artists have created thousands of stories, about 700 superheroes and over 1,000 villains of note (and way more of less note). A lot of those stories suck and are forgettable, but a lot of them are pretty good. The Marvel Cinematic Universe thus has a vast reservoir of ideas, inspirations and characters to suspend it, varying greatly in tone. The MCU has done an excellent job of tonal variance, making dramas, war stories, space operas and near-comedies with ease.

STAR WARS has none of that. Even if they were really using the EU as an inspiration - and they're not really - there's simply far less material out there (about 300 books, maybe the same number of comics, 50 video games, the majority of which are adaptations of the movies etc) for them to mine, so they need to find good writers and directors who can originate good stories themselves and, crucially, are given the freedom to deliver a coherent vision to the screen. Twice now, with ROGUE ONE and SOLO, they've instead engaged in executive meddling. In ROGUE ONE's case it sounds like it was necessary (and the director supported the decision), with SOLO it's far more debatable. Clearly Lucasfilm are far more reluctant to take risks with STAR WARS when they really need to in order to sustain 3 movies a year.

They may also be able to do 3 movies a year if they do a large, epic storyline spanning multiple movies all building to a conclusive event. Throwing in constant prequels which are unnecessary (although entertaining) isn't helping that. There's also the problem that STAR WARS has much less "stuff" to it, in terms of character powers, abilities and ideas, than the MCU has, which gives them much less material to work with. Like, SOLO got plaudits for (pretty much) having no Jedi, the Force or lightsabres in it, and ROGUE ONE for minimising them. This seems to be a low bar for what kind of STAR WARS movie it's going to be ("To Jedi or not to Jedi?").

But I don't see it as a given that because the MCU works with 3 movies a year, any other franchise can sustain that. At some point the MCU will also falter and when it does I think we'll see them having to ease the throttle down for a while.


Werthead wrote:
CapeCodRPGer wrote:
If Disney can put out 3 good to great Marvel movies a year, they should be able to put out 3 good Star Wars movies a year.

I don't think that's a given.

Marvel Comics has published approximately 37,000 individual comic issues spread over (at least) 500 titles over 70 years. Hundreds of writers and artists have created thousands of stories, about 700 superheroes and over 1,000 villains of note (and way more of less note). A lot of those stories suck and are forgettable, but a lot of them are pretty good. The Marvel Cinematic Universe thus has a vast reservoir of ideas, inspirations and characters to suspend it, varying greatly in tone. The MCU has done an excellent job of tonal variance, making dramas, war stories, space operas and near-comedies with ease.

STAR WARS has none of that. Even if they were really using the EU as an inspiration - and they're not really - there's simply far less material out there (about 300 books, maybe the same number of comics, 50 video games, the majority of which are adaptations of the movies etc) for them to mine, so they need to find good writers and directors who can originate good stories themselves and, crucially, are given the freedom to deliver a coherent vision to the screen. Twice now, with ROGUE ONE and SOLO, they've instead engaged in executive meddling. In ROGUE ONE's case it sounds like it was necessary (and the director supported the decision), with SOLO it's far more debatable. Clearly Lucasfilm are far more reluctant to take risks with STAR WARS when they really need to in order to sustain 3 movies a year.

They may also be able to do 3 movies a year if they do a large, epic storyline spanning multiple movies all building to a conclusive event. Throwing in constant prequels which are unnecessary (although entertaining) isn't helping that. There's also the problem that STAR WARS has much less "stuff" to it, in terms of character powers, abilities and ideas, than the MCU has, which gives them much less material to work...

very well said.

And the "jedi or it's not Star Wars!" portion of the fandom is...*sigh* a problem, most days. There is also an element of the fanbase that believes everyone should have access to the force, if not necessarily be jedi. Interestingly enough, I do think that is where the new movies are trying to go, and the trolls are killing the golden goose.


Of course, they haven't even been trying to put out 3 SW movies a year. More like one.

Solo probably came out too soon after TLJ, but it was technically the next year and it's going to be more than a year until the next one.


thejeff wrote:

Of course, they haven't even been trying to put out 3 SW movies a year. More like one.

Solo probably came out too soon after TLJ, but it was technically the next year and it's going to be more than a year until the next one.

They have been trying. Before the recent freeze, we had Episode IX planned for 2019, one of the new stand-alones in 2020 and then two trilogies and more stand-alones which would definitely take us up to 2 movies a year by around 2022 or so. I think Disney had this idea of getting up to 3 Marvel and 3 Star Wars movies a year, to give them a guaranteed blockbuster every 2 months of the year. And of course we're getting the live action TV show in 2019 as well.

I think they've just run into the reality that people really aren't keen on that quantity of STAR WARS.

There was an interesting article a while back that argued the value of scarcity for STAR WARS, that the fact we went 3 years between movies in a series and then 10-16 years between series made STAR WARS a massive, exciting event. Giving us a movie a year has killed that part of the appeal.

101 to 150 of 181 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Gamer Life / Entertainment / Movies / Solo A Star Wars Story All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.