Nietzschean Threads No Longer Hosted On Paizo.com! (not sticky)


Off-Topic Discussions

101 to 147 of 147 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | next > last >>

3 people marked this as a favorite.
Sissyl wrote:
That would be Descartes. He was invited to Sweden as an honoured guest of our queen. Winter meant cold, pneumonia, and he died.

And that was Sweden's greatest contribution to the history of philosophy.

Scarab Sages

Vidmaster7 wrote:
PHILOSOPHIZE TO THE DEATH! GO!

Does Pythagoras taking his own edict against having any contact whatsoever with beans so seriously that he allowed a field of bean plants to stop him from escaping the assassins chasing him, thereby enabling them catch up and kill him, count?


2 people marked this as a favorite.
I'm Hiding In Your Closet wrote:
Vidmaster7 wrote:
PHILOSOPHIZE TO THE DEATH! GO!
Does Pythagoras taking his own edict against having any contact whatsoever with beans so seriously that he allowed a field of bean plants to stop him from escaping the assassins chasing him, thereby enabling them catch up and kill him, count?

Fun fact: In addition to prohibiting beans, Pythagoras developed the mathematics of harmonics. Therefore, it is entirely likely that "Beans, beans the musical fruit..." was originally a Pythagorean hymn.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
quibblemuch wrote:
Sissyl wrote:
That would be Descartes. He was invited to Sweden as an honoured guest of our queen. Winter meant cold, pneumonia, and he died.
And that was Sweden's greatest contribution to the history of philosophy.

Yes. Pretty much the only one.


Sissyl wrote:
quibblemuch wrote:
Sissyl wrote:
That would be Descartes. He was invited to Sweden as an honoured guest of our queen. Winter meant cold, pneumonia, and he died.
And that was Sweden's greatest contribution to the history of philosophy.
Yes. Pretty much the only one.

Not so.

You will be assimilated.
Resistance futile.


Here are some critiques of Nietzsche’s philosophy from Nathan Ketsdever:

His depressing life biased his writings, including his relationship to women (meaning his writing is biased toward a skeptical take on life and relationships--that rather significantly skews his viewpoint and writings)

Nietzche's concept of the Ubermench is tantamount to Nazism and the worst brutalities in history.
The exclusion of ethics and virtue results in the worst brutalities in history. For instance, he critiques liberalism and democracy--and both of those have generally been on the right side of history versus the alternatives of dictatorship (see the research on Democide and Death by Government)

Liberalism and democracy are good, Nietzsche destroys them. Nietzsche would turn the clock back on the reforms of the 1960's.
Truth and reason are good, Nietzsche destroys them. Reason helps provide a way to evaluate competing claims and to make decisions in a way that helps the long term health of an individual or community.
No one really wants a Nietzschean as a friend or family member (Dreyfus). This is a gut check. It also proves that Nietzschean philosophy doesn't really work in the context of communities and relationships. I want nurturing and love, not indifference. Also it seems to undermine reciprocity, fairness, and justice. All things we hold deal.

Survival of the fittest is bad and/or evil (especially for kids and the disadvantaged) Compassion and relief of suffering is good. As a general rule we shouldn't act to increase the suffering of others. We also probably shouldn't stand idly by while others suffer--if we can intervene and stop it.

Virtue is key to society and the community. Virtue like respect, dignity, and honesty help create healthier individuals and societies.
"Absolute power corrupts absolutely." Abuse of power risks undermining everything we hold dear.

The above criticisms are just some of the reasons that Nietzsche's philosophy is no longer hosted on Paizo.com or anywhere else! Not sure about that however...


3 people marked this as a favorite.

dude.. too heavy


2 people marked this as a favorite.

Ja, ja. I lighten things up mit eine joke.

Where did Bismarck keep his armies?
In his sleevies!


You guys are good at this whole philosophize to the death thing.

Scarab Sages

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Farael the Fallen wrote:
Here are some critiques of Nietzsche’s philosophy from Nathan Ketsdever....

Looks to me like a parade of straw men...or like this critic's been taking seriously the heavily perverted and expurgated versions pushed by Nietzsche's horrible proto-fascist big sister (who was no doubt the reason for his issues with women).


...Who knew philosophy was a major in clown college....


Much of the weird stuff in Nietzsche's life happened because he was heavily bipolar.


5 people marked this as a favorite.
Vidmaster7 wrote:
...Who knew philosophy was a major in clown college....

Clown is the only major in philosophy college. But don’t tell the philosophers.


BigNorseWolf wrote:
dude.. too heavy

Actually it's too light. I need to post even more arguments against Nietzsche's philosophy, because it is banned from Paizo.com.


Mein Hund hat keine nase.
Wie reicht es?
Furchtbar.


Kryzbyn wrote:

Mein Hund hat keine nase.

Wie reicht es?
Furchtbar.

I feel that in the spirit of philosophical exploration, and to give a hand to our dear "last men" across the pond, that this needs a translation.

"My dog has no nose"
"How does he smell?"
"Terrible"


*shakes*


Farael the Fallen wrote:
BigNorseWolf wrote:
dude.. too heavy
Actually it's too light.

No, seriously, not joking anymore with the silly thread. Posts like that are waaaaaay too politics-laden and more of them will just lead to the mods either deleting posts or locking the thread for being too political.


Orthos wrote:
Farael the Fallen wrote:
BigNorseWolf wrote:
dude.. too heavy
Actually it's too light.
No, seriously, not joking anymore with the silly thread. Posts like that are waaaaaay too politics-laden and more of them will just lead to the mods either deleting posts or locking the thread for being too political.

If you feel this thread has become too political, then you should move on to the Vegetarian thread. Just don't advocate the Vegetarianism...


Are there threads filled with meat that would designate some threds as vegetarian?

*drools*

Asking for a friend...


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Farael the Fallen wrote:
Orthos wrote:
Farael the Fallen wrote:
BigNorseWolf wrote:
dude.. too heavy
Actually it's too light.
No, seriously, not joking anymore with the silly thread. Posts like that are waaaaaay too politics-laden and more of them will just lead to the mods either deleting posts or locking the thread for being too political.
If you feel this thread has become too political, then you should move on to the Vegetarian thread. Just don't advocate the Vegetarianism...

Or everyone, including you Farael, could respect the Rules As Intended of the Politics Ban and not seek ways to circumvent and/or sidle-right-up-to-the-line-but-not-quite-over.

Dark Archive

BRIAN BLESSED wrote:
Friedrich Nietzsche wrote:
Darth Grumpicus wrote:
(Edit: Now I'm tempted to start a Nietzche Wachee mermaid account on Twitter.)
What does not kill you, makes you flounder.
WHAT DOESNT KILL ME MAKES MR LOUDER!!!

*repeatedly stabs BRIAN BLESSED in surgically-precise, Terminator 2 "he'll live" fashion*


Ambrosia Slaad wrote:
Farael the Fallen wrote:
Orthos wrote:
Farael the Fallen wrote:
BigNorseWolf wrote:
dude.. too heavy
Actually it's too light.
No, seriously, not joking anymore with the silly thread. Posts like that are waaaaaay too politics-laden and more of them will just lead to the mods either deleting posts or locking the thread for being too political.
If you feel this thread has become too political, then you should move on to the Vegetarian thread. Just don't advocate the Vegetarianism...
Or everyone, including you Farael, could respect the Rules As Intended of the Politics Ban and not seek ways to circumvent and/or sidle-right-up-to-the-line-but-not-quite-over.

“A politician divides mankind into two classes: tools and enemies.” ~ Friedrich Nietzsche


Skiron wrote:
BRIAN BLESSED wrote:
Friedrich Nietzsche wrote:
Darth Grumpicus wrote:
(Edit: Now I'm tempted to start a Nietzche Wachee mermaid account on Twitter.)
What does not kill you, makes you flounder.
WHAT DOESNT KILL ME MAKES MR LOUDER!!!
*repeatedly stabs BRIAN BLESSED in surgically-precise, Terminator 2 "he'll live" fashion*

"I believe...whatever doesn't kill you, simply makes you stranger." ~The Joker


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Farael the Fallen wrote:


"I believe...whatever doesn't kill you, simply makes you stranger." ~The Joker

that would explain a lot about my life...


Hey if you don't poke around till you find the line how will you know where it is?


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Ah man, and here I was wanting to put my Philosophy degree to good use with Master-Slave Morality argu... I mean, debates. Ah well, maybe I will find a use for my philosophy degree apart from emergency firewood.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Its ok I have a psychology BS So its about as useful except When I say HMM it has a deeper meaning.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

On Paizo, Hmm does have a deeper meaning.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Vidmaster7 wrote:
Its ok I have a psychology BS So its about as useful except When I say HMM it has a deeper meaning.

"i need to sound deep and speculative while i try to find a polite way to phrase "that was the dumbest thing I've ever heard and i will need alcohol poisoning to help recover braincells" ?


2 people marked this as a favorite.
BigNorseWolf wrote:
Vidmaster7 wrote:
Its ok I have a psychology BS So its about as useful except When I say HMM it has a deeper meaning.
"i need to sound deep and speculative while i try to find a polite way to phrase "that was the dumbest thing I've ever heard and i will need alcohol poisoning to help recover braincells" ?

HEY don't be giving out important secrets to everyone!


Ivory Songbird wrote:
Ah man, and here I was wanting to put my Philosophy degree to good use with Master-Slave Morality argu... I mean, debates. Ah well, maybe I will find a use for my philosophy degree apart from emergency firewood.

I was just reading the beginning of Nietzsche's "Beyond Good and Evil" and came upon his point about "master-morality" and "slave-morality". As this opens up the possibility to assume either the point of view of "slave morals" (which I guess according to Nietzsche would be all morals up to this point?) or - as Nietzsche does - the point of view of "master morals", has someone worked on an argument why it is inherently false to assume the point of view of "master morals" without making a moral claim (e.g. not some sort of utilitarian argument, or in essence saying that it's immoral to adhere to "master morals")? Or does Nietzsche just open up some sort of moral dilemma where there is no binding morality any longer and no one has solved this yet?


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Ivory Songbird wrote:
Ah man, and here I was wanting to put my Philosophy degree to good use with Master-Slave Morality argu... I mean, debates. Ah well, maybe I will find a use for my philosophy degree apart from emergency firewood.

PHILOSOPHY MAJOR: Life is change, man. Can you, like, spare some change?


1 person marked this as a favorite.

I could not find a concrete definition of morality. Did you mean molarity?


The Sideromancer wrote:
I could not find a concrete definition of morality. Did you mean molarity?

No, I think what Nietzsche was trying to say is that the very idea that there could be any morality in a master-slave relationship is objectively false. The very essence of a master-slave relationship is immoral, since slavery is by it's very definition immoral.


That was a joke because molarity is something I have a concrete definition for: amount of solute per volume solvent. It's completely unrelated to philosophy.


The Sideromancer wrote:
That was a joke because molarity is something I have a concrete definition for: amount of solute per volume solvent. It's completely unrelated to philosophy.

I disagree. Since philosophy touches all subjects, including science, then molarity is also related to it. You could even say that molarity and morality are two sides of the same coin.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Farael the Fallen wrote:


I disagree. Since philosophy touches all subjects, including science,

*smacks philosophies hand*

No touching!

Science also wants their lab coats back.


How can two different things be the same side of a coin, I mean wouldn't they have to be the different sides of the same coin

or the same side of two different coins

or the different side of the same coin at different times

or the same coin at the different place where the side is the different side of the same time it was in a different place?


There is no coin.


Then what's this behind your ear?


quibblemuch wrote:
There is no coin.

Finally someone gets what Nietzsche was trying to teach us, and that's why Nietzschean threads are no longer hosted on Paizo.com.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
quibblemuch wrote:
There is no coin.

{adjusts monocle} Your NietzchCoin ideas are intriguing to me, and I wish to subscribe to your blockchain.


quibblemuch wrote:
There is no coin.

Your thinking of spoons SPOONS quibble.


Spoon!


Sir RicHunt Attenwampi wrote:
quibblemuch wrote:
There is no coin.
{adjusts monocle} Your NietzchCoin ideas are intriguing to me, and I wish to subscribe to your blockchain.

You just want to get them before it takes inordinate amounts of effort to mine, so you can control the currency


Sir RicHunt Attenwampi wrote:
quibblemuch wrote:
There is no coin.
{adjusts monocle} Your NietzchCoin ideas are intriguing to me, and I wish to subscribe to your blockchain.

"Only sick music makes money today." ~Friedrich Nietzsche (2010). “The Birth of Tragedy and The Case of Wagner”, p.206, Vintage

101 to 147 of 147 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Gamer Life / Off-Topic Discussions / Nietzschean Threads No Longer Hosted On Paizo.com! (not sticky) All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.