Lich Looking for Help


Pathfinder First Edition General Discussion


Hello all you wonderful warlocks, witches, and wizards.

I am a lich moving into a new neighborhood. I was forced to move out of my last home when the local adventuring guild decided to run me out of town.

To avoid a repeat of such a situation I've decided to create a body I can inhabit while in town. I want to do so by first by casting "polymorph any object" on a chicken and turning it into a half-elf (I was a half-elf in life). Once the body has been prepared I would possess it via an "extended greater possession".

I was wondering if any of you have experimented with such a thing. If so, what problems have you encountered. If you haven't, but see an obvious problem please speak up. Everyone's welcome.

Thanks,
Your friendly neighborhood lich.

P.S.: I'd also like to not have to sacrifice a small animal every time a local adventuring guild discovers my identity and decides that liches make for bad neighbors.

P.P.S.: I also do not want to spend any gold if I can avoid it. Things like creating simulacrums of a half-elf and then possessing it would be a possibility but such a thing is expensive.

P.P.P.S.: I'm excited at the thought of having a body with taste buds. I've forgotten how to cook so if any of you have suggestions on easy, good tasting Golarion cuisine please share as well.


This sounds like a good idea, and could be useful in my current... predicament... as well.

What will you do with your existing husk?

RPG Superstar 2012 Top 32

Put beast near fire.

Eat when hungry.


An Immortal Lychee wrote:

This sounds like a good idea, and could be useful in my current... predicament... as well.

What will you do with your existing husk?

Greater possession makes it that you can enter the body of the creature you're possessing.

http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/occultAdventures/spells/possession.html#

Hmm... but if I was forced to use magic jar or regular possession... The most obvious solution would be to hide my body in my basement, behind a book shelf. In the event that the book shelf was moved from the outside my body would have a contingency set to trigger a planeshift to a private demiplane.


SmiloDan wrote:

Put beast near fire.

Eat when hungry.

What manner of beast would you be referring to? It sounds like something that regenerates. I can't simply summon a god spawn, possess it, cut off pieces of flesh, Planeshift the body to a private demiplane and leave it there.

That would raise too many questions and attract the attention of the local adventuring guild.
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/c/spawn-calling/

I'm trying to be discrete here, not scare off the locals.


Friendly Neighborhood Lich wrote:
SmiloDan wrote:

Put beast near fire.

Eat when hungry.

What manner of beast would you be referring to? It sounds like something that regenerates. I can't simply summon a god spawn, possess it, cut off pieces of flesh, Planeshift the body to a private demiplane and leave it there.

That would raise too many questions and attract the attention of the local adventuring guild.
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/c/spawn-calling/

I'm trying to be discrete here, not scare off the locals.

Hmmm... Is there a way to cast spawn calling without the sacrifices?

...
I suppose I could cast polymorph any object on a bunch of chickens and sacrifice them instead.

But ultimately what does Thunder Behemoth flesh taste like? And if you were to cheat the spell by sacrificing polymorphed chickens instead would the thunder behemoth taste like chicken?

Questions like these are what private demiplanes are for.

RPG Superstar 2012 Top 32

In my brain, I sounded like Helena from Orphan Black.

How do I type with the Ukrainian accent of an overly-religious sugar-addict serial-killer?

Anyways, whatever kind of (dead?) beast is handy. I was giving advice on cooking.

I don't understand why you need to sacrifice an animal for polymorph any object. Wouldn't it be easier with a live chicken? Aside from the pecking, but liches have good DR, don't they?


SmiloDan wrote:

In my brain, I sounded like Helena from Orphan Black.

How do I type with the Ukrainian accent of an overly-religious sugar-addict serial-killer?

Anyways, whatever kind of (dead?) beast is handy. I was giving advice on cooking.

I don't understand why you need to sacrifice an animal for polymorph any object. Wouldn't it be easier with a live chicken? Aside from the pecking, but liches have good DR, don't they?

Oh, sorry. My mistake, I misunderstood.

I suppose I could try eating undead flesh... It would need to be very well cooked to make sure my host body didn't get sick from eating it.

I mentioned the sacrificing polymorphed chickens for the spell "spawn calling". It lets you call a thunder behemoth or a spawn of Rovagug by sacrificing humanoid creatures. Both thunder behemoths and spawns of Rovagug have regeneration so I thought they would make perfect unlimited food sources.

I'd house the spawn in a private demiplanes. To get it there I'd possess the spawn and planeshift.


Friendly Neighborhood Lich wrote:
SmiloDan wrote:

In my brain, I sounded like Helena from Orphan Black.

How do I type with the Ukrainian accent of an overly-religious sugar-addict serial-killer?

Anyways, whatever kind of (dead?) beast is handy. I was giving advice on cooking.

I don't understand why you need to sacrifice an animal for polymorph any object. Wouldn't it be easier with a live chicken? Aside from the pecking, but liches have good DR, don't they?

Oh, sorry. My mistake, I misunderstood.

I suppose I could try eating undead flesh... It would need to be very well cooked to make sure my host body didn't get sick from eating it.

I mentioned the sacrificing polymorphed chickens for the spell "spawn calling". It lets you call a thunder behemoth or a spawn of Rovagug by sacrificing humanoid creatures. Both thunder behemoths and spawns of Rovagug have regeneration so I thought they would make perfect unlimited food sources.

I'd house the spawn in a private demiplanes. To get it there I'd possess the spawn and planeshift.

Regarding Helena. That is a difficult question to answer. I suupose you coold make slight spielling mistaeks to produce sounds in people's skullz. Kiind of like whail of the baanshe without trying to keell people. At the risk of being slightly offensive if you wanted to try that.


Friendly Neighborhood Lich wrote:
Friendly Neighborhood Lich wrote:
SmiloDan wrote:

In my brain, I sounded like Helena from Orphan Black.

How do I type with the Ukrainian accent of an overly-religious sugar-addict serial-killer?

Anyways, whatever kind of (dead?) beast is handy. I was giving advice on cooking.

I don't understand why you need to sacrifice an animal for polymorph any object. Wouldn't it be easier with a live chicken? Aside from the pecking, but liches have good DR, don't they?

Oh, sorry. My mistake, I misunderstood.

I suppose I could try eating undead flesh... It would need to be very well cooked to make sure my host body didn't get sick from eating it.

I mentioned the sacrificing polymorphed chickens for the spell "spawn calling". It lets you call a thunder behemoth or a spawn of Rovagug by sacrificing humanoid creatures. Both thunder behemoths and spawns of Rovagug have regeneration so I thought they would make perfect unlimited food sources.

I'd house the spawn in a private demiplanes. To get it there I'd possess the spawn and planeshift.

Regarding Helena. That is a difficult question to answer. I suupose you coold make slight spielling mistaeks to produce sounds in people's skullz. Kiind of like whail of the baanshe without trying to keell people. At the risk of being slightly offensive if you wanted to try that.

I... did not remember you could eat chickens. It's been a long time since I inhabited a mortal vessel.


My suggestions are :

1) You are a pretty Charismatic person, right? Why not get your willing Cohort to lend you a hand (and whatever else)?

Ingredients :
1 Cohort (which perhaps turns out to be a chicken)
1+ Riding Possession Spell
1+ Telepathic Bond Spell
Optional :
1 Permanency Spell (for Telepathic Bond)
1 Baleful Shadow Transmutation (for a chicken)
Your "extended" Greater Possession Spell Effect

You can "ride" your Cohort for hours at a time and if you want to give adaptive direction to them depending on the situation, use telepathy to instruct your loyal companion. Settlers may detect you/them as Evil but as a possession the body is still alive, (especially if you are just "riding"). A Cohort will advance with you, making them less likely to need replacing - unless you want to. As you have been a little out of the social loop a Cohort may very well be able to ingratiate themselves better than you simply taking control of their body, especially if you are Spell trigger happy ... If confident of your skills, (and dinner ettiquette), streamline the Riding Possession and Telepathic Bond Spells down to your "extended" Greater Possession Spell Effect. For the chicken theme, rather than using Polymorph Any Object, (an 8th level Spell that would last for twelve hours for a chicken > Half-Elf), I would suggest using the 6th-7th Level Baleful Shadow Transmutation Spell as it is somewhat Permanent, (you can even train it to be willing in exchange for food; etc.).

2) You rely solely on your access to an "extended" Greater Possession Spell Effect.

Ingredients :
1 Penanggalen (of a suitable Base Creature for the settlement you enter/an Half-Elf)
Your "extended" Greater Possession Spell Effect

You do not detect as Undead but you will still be Undead, benefiting from the Negative Energy Healing Spells that you would already know. During the day you look like a living Creature, yet at night you have the option of becoming a monstrous head that drinks blood - solids in the day, out for drinks (with the girls?) at night. Tasty! Detaching your head at night is optional, so you can pretend to be a "normal", living person at any time you maintain the possession. Additionally, Penanggalen tend to be hardy with a Natural Armour +6, so the body is less likely to die and require a replacement. You could even create Spawn so that if word gets around about a dangerous, Evil head attacking people you can trick them by having angry settlers "defeat" a Manananggel.

3) Suck it up and make friends with the living.

Ingredients :
A backbone
1 domicile that is cobweb free, has plenty of light and an old, friendly-yet-firm female housekeeper (preferably with a bun)
A cat or dog
Optional :
1+ Charm Person/Charm Monster Spell
1+ Dominate Person/Dominate Monster Spell
Money (the more ostentatious the better)
Buying up businesses in the area so you are their boss, (enforcing a weekly/monthly company social event)

You have been out of the socializing game for a while, so it all feels a bit daunting, eh? It has been a few hundred years or so, it is about time you got back on the Nightmare and see what is out there! If you do not succeed first time around there are plenty more chickens in the pen. When you must absolutely succeed first time around, there is always domination.

4) Avoid Constructs - they tend to be awkward and the Greater Object Possession Spell does not last very long, (unless your method of extending possession can be used on Objects/Constructs too). However, if you are like me and can only tolerate chit-chat for short periods ...

Ingredients :
1 Soulbound Mannequin or Robot Mannequin if available
1+ Greater Object Possession Spell
Optional :
1 Poppet or Soulbound Doll

A Soulbound Mannequin has a 1/day (Sp) that allows it to appear to be the Creature the soul fragment was taken from; a Robot Mannequin, (although possibly more difficult to obtain), receives a +8 bonus to disguise itself as Human and can be specialized for your specific needs, (including having it gain experience in a Class to advance it for longevity/utility). If you just want to be a little cutie that can silently convince people to give you food without all of the social hassle, then possess a Poppet or Soulbound Doll. In case of emergency this leaves you with the option to "leave" yourself with a surprised child, helping to be overlooked as an innocuous toy. However, they do cost money, although a basic Tiny Poppet is particularly cheap at 160gp to Craft or 310gp to buy.

-

Good luck sweet Lich, enjoy your next plate of maple syrup covered pancakes or bacon.

[Disclaimer : I take no responsibility for any harm/damage that comes unto your person, property or thrall. Please remember that living Creatures tend to require regular meals/drink/sleep/air/warmth to function, and are likely not immune to disease or poison. Also note that I am a newbie Witch, so reserve the right to have been wrong on how things work.]


Friendly Neighborhood Lich wrote:
If you haven't, but see an obvious problem please speak up. Everyone's welcome.

You will need a way to hide your alignment from paladins, so that they don't slaughter you every time they detect you.

Quote:
P.P.P.S.: I'm excited at the thought of having a body with taste buds. I've forgotten how to cook so if any of you have suggestions on easy, good tasting Golarion cuisine please share as well.

I have a Chelaxian recipe for fried halfling.

Grand Lodge

If you don't want to have alignment problems (or Detect as Undead problems), I recommend settling down in Cheliax.

You could try Belzeken (sp?) if you get on with Orcs... hmm, half-elf beck when you were alive? Please tell me that you are not a species-ist. You could just Polymorph the chicken into an Orc and it's all good. You make friends with the local Chief by frying a few spear-chuckers and demanding a nominal tribute. And by nominal, I mean so small that it's obvious it's just a token payment. Offer to take any Orcs due for a death penalty off the CHief's hands whilst cacckling...


There’s always Semblance of life which would work great with just a modicum if preparation


Make and sell scrolls of spells. There is a big demand for speak with dead. The trend for neutral necromancers means scrolls of animate dead that create bloody skeletons are also in demand. Being illegal, its a seller's market. I hope you still have your spell books because people will pay money just to copy spells from it.

Once you become "living", try stuff with lots of flavor. Chili, even vegetarian chili, is great.

Sczarni

Animals whose flesh you can eat in polite living society:

Chicken
Pig
Cow
Fish
Sheep
Deer

Most others are considered a faux pas, though this is not an exhaustive list. Special note: any individual animal that a small child has named is traditionally exempt from the menu (though others of its species may or may not still be fair game; see list above.)

Additionally, eggs are considered food, but only the interiors. The shells must be discarded. Have a bowl ready; the interior is a liquid at room temperature.

Typically, the flesh (and egg juice) must be heated before eaten. Invest in a device called a "frying pan" (they're very cheap nonmagical items) for this purpose-- the flesh to be consumed goes on top of the pan, and an open fire goes underneath. The process is complete after the gristle starts seeping out and boiling off, but before the flesh itself display visible char. Allow the result to sit and cool for a few minutes before eating.

RPG Superstar 2012 Top 32

And bear! I've had bear!

But only at an anthropology grad school party....

EDIT:

And bugs of the sea, like shrimp, lobster, prawn, crabs, mussels, octopus, clams, oysters, etc.

Crawfish are OK too.

No land bugs, though.

Unless it's by accident while riding on a hovercraft while being chased by Reavers.


If I might highlight a small issue, one of the most troublesome aspects of your current plan to create a half-elven body for yourself is that it will be remarkably frail.

As useful as a disposable chicken body may be, the immediate concern arises that its hit points remain tied to its physical form. Polymorph Any Object does not make a creature inherently more powerful by granting it additional hit dice, and you'd thus perforce need to make peace with having approximately enough vitality to endure a single punch before being knocked unconscious.

As an alternative, I'd suggest a slight revision of your previous strategy, in this case by availing yourself of every Wizard's most forgotten class feature treasured ally, his familiar.

A Protector familiar is a wonderful candidate for this task, as they possess your own hit points from 11th level. They are also devoted to preserving your own life (or unlife, as the case may be) and would think nothing of sacrificing their free will and physical body to your wishes!

A chicken is of course a valid choice here, though the options presented by an Improved Familiar also should bear consideration. Whatever you end up choosing, I'm sure wearing its skin as your manifest meat-puppet for interacting with the world will be an experience worth relishing!


Survivalist rangers eat bugs to show off. People who burn everything for the taste do exist. Just be consistent. Some bugs and mushrooms are poisonous. A poison detection device is great if you can get one.


I'm not understanding why the need to hide alignment. In my experience, those with the ability do not just go around casting Detect Alignment, "just because."

I had always experienced that casting a spell on someone without permission, even something as benign as Detect Alignment, is offensive on its face.

Have social norms changed that much?


Because Paladins.


Well as a Drow that has come to enjoy the surface world. Illusions come in handy. Sadly not spending money will likely hamper your ability, unless you do as I did. I opened a tavern & magic shop then started selling a few items I created over the years.

Ring of Infernal healing are very useful to sell to the local populace, it makes the paladin's look bad when they attack people wearing them just because of an 'aura' that they can't exactly describe to other people with clarity beyond. "I can see they are evil" heh. good times that.

Which in turn leads to second guessing.

But generally if you help the local population it tends to work remarkably in one's favor. All I did was help fortify a town against a dangerous storm and they started building a statue of me...and I suppose the Kobold that dragged me here.

I have started on my path to master the Culinary Arts. Rift Drake is delicious when prepared into stew or into Apple Steaks. Granted I have found everything tastes good with Apples and might be a little bias.

As for your body issue. Why not prepare a permanent magic Jar with your soul container and take control of the chicken turned half-elf? If you do as I did an create a business, take control temporarily of an employee create a new Polymorphed body from another animal and continue on. I know of a female Lich that runs a magic shop that does something similar with alchemical goods mostly. So far no one has noticed her, but to be fair she also makes herself out to be a klutz and more than a little ditzy to keep such ideas from peoples heads.


Don't forget to use Mind Blank--it'd be a shame if all that work was revealed by the first shmoe to cast detect magic near you.


Keep Calm and Carrion wrote:
Don't forget to use Mind Blank--it'd be a shame if all that work was revealed by the first shmoe to cast detect magic near you.

Every caster who can cast this should as soon as they can.


Perhaps a Magic Aura spell to hide the Necromantic aura from spell casters if you feel you need the extra security. But otherwise the Polymorph any object and Extended Greater Possession would be the best way to try living among those of the living and tasting foods once again. Perhaps later on you might invest those spells into an item that allows you to perform them as needed so that you won't need use your own reserves of magical power.


Can't you just PaO yourself into a half elf "form"?

Community / Forums / Pathfinder / Pathfinder First Edition / General Discussion / Lich Looking for Help All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.