Grimmerspace


Third-Party Starfinder Products

1 to 50 of 123 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | next > last >>

8 people marked this as a favorite.

So Wesley Snipes, Sean Astin, Jason Bulmahn, and Lary Elmore walk into a Kickstarter...

Silver Crusade

3 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

I am so confused by this.

Silver Crusade

4 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

I love it though.


*nods*


3 people marked this as a favorite.

I haven't been this excited since I learned of Velvet Revolver's existence. Hopefully I won't be as disappointed as I was when I heard Velvet Revolver's music. :)


9 people marked this as a favorite.

Not only do Lou Agresta and Rone Barton (me) have Wesley Snipes and Sean Astin on board as fellow Creative Developers...

Erik Mona is writing our foreword.

Our other designers include Jason Bulmahn, Adam Daigle, James Sutter, Richard Pett (we're giving away his first Starfinder adventure for free - 16k words), Larry Elmore, Greg Vaughan, Shanna Germain, Ben McFarland, BJ Henlsey, and Hal Maclean

Want that adventure the very moment we release it and other free stuff? Check us out at: https://www.irongmgames.com/gslp1

Any questions about Grimmerspace? Ask away.

RPG Superstar 2012

5 people marked this as a favorite.
The Jade wrote:

Not only do Lou Agresta and Rone Barton (me) have Wesley Snipes and Sean Astin on board as fellow Creative Developers...

Erik Mona is writing our foreword.

Our other designers include Jason Bulmahn, Adam Daigle, James Sutter, Richard Pett (we're giving away his first Starfinder adventure for free - 16k words), Larry Elmore, Greg Vaughan, Shanna Germain, Ben McFarland, BJ Henlsey, and Hal Maclean

Want that adventure the very moment we release it and other free stuff? Check us out at: https://www.irongmgames.com/gslp1

Any questions about Grimmerspace? Ask away.

Now with convenient link! :)


1 person marked this as a favorite.

I signed up! now to wait and see what form of horror you guys have in mind, cause vampires and werewolves in space sounds awesome, but who knows, lol.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Air0r wrote:
I signed up! now to wait and see what form of horror you guys have in mind, cause vampires and werewolves in space sounds awesome, but who knows, lol.

Thanks, AirOr!

Such monstrous things cold brewing in the space between the stars...

Get ready.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
ENHenry wrote:
I haven't been this excited since I learned of Velvet Revolver's existence. Hopefully I won't be as disappointed as I was when I heard Velvet Revolver's music. :)

Grimmerspace begins as a setting and adventures book. Of course, we offer sections with setting information, but if you don't want to wade through pages of academically delivered information, we also offer many 5k-10k word adventures that will allow you to simply live the setting (in our universe, in the Pact Worlds, or in your homebrew universe). Learning the particulars of races and cultures, alien horrors, governments and corporations, and locations as you go - sort of Berlitz style immersion - with sidebars that offer you the nuts and bolts information you'll need to know along the way.

For gamers who want to go full Grimmerspace? Dig in and make yourself comfortable.

For gamers who love the Pact Worlds and don't want to shift to a different game but who would like a bunch of new adventures written by game design luminaries from Paizo, both staff and fan favorite freelancers? Come and git it! ;)

Sovereign Court Contributor

taig wrote:
The Jade wrote:

Not only do Lou Agresta and Rone Barton (me) have Wesley Snipes and Sean Astin on board as fellow Creative Developers...

Erik Mona is writing our foreword.

Our other designers include Jason Bulmahn, Adam Daigle, James Sutter, Richard Pett (we're giving away his first Starfinder adventure for free - 16k words), Larry Elmore, Greg Vaughan, Shanna Germain, Ben McFarland, BJ Henlsey, and Hal Maclean

Want that adventure the very moment we release it and other free stuff? Check us out at: https://www.irongmgames.com/gslp1

Any questions about Grimmerspace? Ask away.

Now with convenient link! :)

Thanks, Taig!


1 person marked this as a favorite.

From the site: "Take your hand and register now, or we'll take it for you."

So I tried to register but once I enter my e-mail, there's no functioning button to click.


Interesting.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
CeeJay wrote:

From the site: "Take your hand and register now, or we'll take it for you."

So I tried to register but once I enter my e-mail, there's no functioning button to click.

Thanks for mentioning you were having that problem and for sending your info to us directly despite it, CeeJay. Very much appreciated.

I'm seeing the Register button to the right of the Email capture field. Hmm.

If anyone else here tried to register, please let us know in this thread if you had a missing button issue as well.

Grand Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
The Jade wrote:
Grimmerspace begins as a setting and adventures book. Of course, we offer sections with setting information, but if you don't want to wade through pages of academically delivered information, we also offer many 5k-10k word adventures that will allow you to simply live the setting (in our universe, in the Pact Worlds, or in your homebrew universe). Learning the particulars of races and cultures, alien horrors, governments and corporations, and locations as you go - sort of Berlitz style immersion - with sidebars that offer you the nuts and bolts information you'll need to know along the way.

Might I say - indulging the urge for instant engagement?


1 person marked this as a favorite.

I vote for more free stuff! Thanks much The Jade.


The information on the pages linked to in this thread are relatively sparse on the nature of the Gliding Rim galaxy. Other than the very basic concept of there being a war on between extragalactic magic-loving definitely-not-invading aliens and definitely-not-xenophobic tech loving locals, what can you tell us about the setting, Jade?

A heroic marine defending us all against a magical terrorist.


Starglim wrote:
The Jade wrote:
Grimmerspace begins as a setting and adventures book. Of course, we offer sections with setting information, but if you don't want to wade through pages of academically delivered information, we also offer many 5k-10k word adventures that will allow you to simply live the setting (in our universe, in the Pact Worlds, or in your homebrew universe). Learning the particulars of races and cultures, alien horrors, governments and corporations, and locations as you go - sort of Berlitz style immersion - with sidebars that offer you the nuts and bolts information you'll need to know along the way.
Might I say - indulging the urge for instant engagement?

You might at that! ;)


Azih wrote:
I vote for more free stuff! Thanks much The Jade.

It is our sincerest pleasure, Azih.

Sovereign Court Contributor

6 people marked this as a favorite.
quindraco wrote:

The information on the pages linked to in this thread are relatively sparse on the nature of the Gliding Rim galaxy. Other than the very basic concept of there being a war on between extragalactic magic-loving definitely-not-invading aliens and definitely-not-xenophobic tech loving locals, what can you tell us about the setting, Jade?

A heroic marine defending us all against a magical terrorist.

Hi quindraco, Lou Agresta here. The Jade's partner-in-crime on Grimmerspace. I thought I'd pop in with a few answers as the Jade has low availability today (though he'll be back soon).

To start, I'm not sure if you saw the EN World article? The Jade got into it a little deeper there. EN World on Grimmerspace

But I'm thinking you want more on what you'll encounter in Grimmerspace, right? We're keeping most of those details close to the chest until nearer the Kickstarter so as not to get scooped, but let me drop what I can...

To begin, the Gliding Rim galaxy is shaped like a vortex and divided into three parts: the Crux, the Edge, and the Gyre.

The Crux lies at the top center and is where humanocentric civilization resides. Specifically, we're starting with five new and distinct star nations from which player characters can choose to originate. These include: the Thriftic Binary, the Netocracy, the Attien Combine, the Apostasy, and the Votigan Empire. The Votigans themselves consist of two different peoples: one from a water world, and one from a volcanic, heavy gravity planet. Generally speaking, in the Crux expect caper or political adventures; here’s where you’ll join or run afoul of powerful organizations; hunt or be hunted by bounty hunters; acquire missions; uncover (and thwart) conspiracies; outfit a ship; defeat alien infiltrators; establish a home base...

If you like, you can see (and download) wallpaper art for Ransumerr, capital of the Netocracy here from the amazing Leon Tukker. You can take a look just by visiting the link, but you have to sign up for our mailing list to download the wallpaper. By the way, we’re also going to send everyone on that mailing list Richard Pett’s first ever Starfinder adventure (written exclusively for Grimmerspace) for free, as an introduction. Actually everyone is going to get his adventure for free, but mailing list people get it first.

Back to your question: these Crux polities have their spheres of influence, their rivalries, their politics (internal and external), and even wars; but together they are the member-states of a civilization forced to peaceful coexistence by threats from the outer void. Threats that at this juncture in history they largely (and mistakenly) consider “under control.”

As you push out from Crux civilization across the top of the vortex, you approach the Edge. The closer to the Edge the darker, more dangerous, more strange things become. It’s away from the Crux and toward the Edge that adventurers can expect to play out movies like Alien, Aliens, Pandorum, Event Horizon, Resident Evil, Pitch Black, etc. etc. Of course, we deliver all new adventures — stranger, darker, and original to Grimmerspace — from writers like Pett, Vaughan, Bulmahn, and the rest of our team! I’m just quoting movie titles as shorthand for the kinds of weird and dangerous things you might find out there.

Its toward the Edge that you’d expect to uncover (or smuggle for) illegal research laboratories; defeat (or carry) DNA-morphing plagues; stumble across the ruins of alien civilizations and revive (or battle) their ancient, mothballed fleets; track down dangerous new technologies; run supplies to ill-fated colonies; perhaps even encounter the strange and powerful new energies that the superstitious call ‘magic’. Of course, along the way you’ll grow phenomenally powerful and wealthy, possibly establish your own star nation—and as a general rule save the galaxy. That sort of thing.

It is fair to say the history of Crux civilization is the history of pushing out from the center, expanding the safe-zone controlled by the Crux nations, and inching toward the Edge. Still, space is vast, and the outer Edge of the Gliding Rim Galaxy remains firmly outside Crux control.

Toward the Edge the unknown—alien and otherwise—lurks, hunts, impersonates your family, stows away on your ship, devours your pets—or just eats and replaces you. Or at least it tries.

Speaking of death by devouring, let's talk about the Gyre. Over the Edge the Gliding Rim Galaxy twists down to form the Gyre. To visualize this, imagine the arms of a standard spiral galaxy pulled down, as if by massive gravity, twisting all the way. These twisted arms form the “below” of our vortex.

Explorers do not return from the Gyre, at least not still sane, but things do come out of the Gyre. Mysterious and incomprehensible powers, mind-dominating monsters, armies. In recorded history, whole alien peoples have fled the Gyre, poured over the Edge, and crashed against the walls of Crux civilization. Some conspiracy theorists believe alien invasions from the Gyre already succeeded, and Crux citizens just don't realize that alien powers live among them — rule them, even. Others go so far as to claim that the Benefactor of Kundara — an alien power considered responsible for uplifting the Kundarans from ocean-dwellers to spacefarers and eventually launching the Votigan Empire — originated in the Gyre. Maybe they're right.

It is a fact, however, that of all three zones in the Gliding Rim Galaxy, the Gyre remains unexplored. You can download a jpeg of the Gliding Rim galaxy here, if you like. It's a fine art piece by our cover artist Jean Brisset that shows the whole shebang at a glance.

And now, of course, a strange anomaly colors the night skies just past the Edge. Crux world astronomers have detected a purplish light among the stars where none previously existed. What is it? Most in the Crux — even the Votigans who live closest to the Edge and keep the most vigilant eye on the Gyre — remain unimpressed. The Grimmers of Grimmerspace have handled everything the Gliding Rim has ever thrown at them, expanding ever outward despite every conceivable alien horror. Surely they’ll handle whatever that faint purplish color represents—if it represents anything at all. The five star nations have sent scientific expeditions to investigate, of course. None have reported back, but that’s okay. They’re not overdue… Yet.

Does that answer your question?

Sovereign Court Contributor

1 person marked this as a favorite.

If anyone has more questions, please ask away!


Louis Agresta wrote:
If anyone has more questions, please ask away!

Okies! What more would you like to/can talk about?

Sovereign Court Contributor

Well, I could give you a few sentences on each of the Crux nations or talk about something from the Edge? Or something else, what interests you?


Blade in space? Playable space vamps? Wait those aren't really questions... I suppose neither is Space Umbrella, even if i add a question mark to it, lol.


An overview of the playable races and the various cultures would be appreciated.

Will we see things like the Traveller Scouts or the merchant family ships from fiction?

In other words, a few words on organizations integral to the setting would be cool.


Louis Agresta wrote:
quindraco wrote:

The information on the pages linked to in this thread are relatively sparse on the nature of the Gliding Rim galaxy. Other than the very basic concept of there being a war on between extragalactic magic-loving definitely-not-invading aliens and definitely-not-xenophobic tech loving locals, what can you tell us about the setting, Jade?

A heroic marine defending us all against a magical terrorist.

Hi quindraco, Lou Agresta here. The Jade's partner-in-crime on Grimmerspace. I thought I'd pop in with a few answers as the Jade has low availability today (though he'll be back soon).

To start, I'm not sure if you saw the EN World article? The Jade got into it a little deeper there. EN World on Grimmerspace

But I'm thinking you want more on what you'll encounter in Grimmerspace, right? We're keeping most of those details close to the chest until nearer the Kickstarter so as not to get scooped, but let me drop what I can...

To begin, the Gliding Rim galaxy is shaped like a vortex and divided into three parts: the Crux, the Edge, and the Gyre.

The Crux lies at the top center and is where humanocentric civilization resides. Specifically, we're starting with five new and distinct star nations from which player characters can choose to originate. These include: the Thriftic Binary, the Netocracy, the Attien Combine, the Apostasy, and the Votigan Empire. The Votigans themselves consist of two different peoples: one from a water world, and one from a volcanic, heavy gravity planet. Generally speaking, in the Crux expect caper or political adventures; here’s where you’ll join or run afoul of powerful organizations; hunt or be hunted by bounty hunters; acquire...

This sounds awesome! I can't wait to back!


Louis Agresta wrote:
Does that answer your question?

Thanks, that definitely tells me a lot more about what's going on!

I'm curious about the Gyre. While anything escaping from it is going to be very alien, with entire civilizations coming out of it, there must be stories coming out of it, too - the peoples from there must at least sometimes bridge the social gap and communicate with the locals. Can you add anything more about that? Have any Cruxers ever interviewed any Gyrites?


More info on the Crux nations would be great. Who are the 'good guys'... or maybe more accurately which nation would be the focus of the initial introductory adventure you expect new players and GMs to start off with?

Sovereign Court Contributor

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Air0r wrote:
Blade in space? Playable space vamps? Wait those aren't really questions... I suppose neither is Space Umbrella, even if i add a question mark to it, lol.

Space Umbrella? We could make a Space Mary Poppins class... I suppose... If you really want that? *scribbles notes* mutter mutter... whatever they want mutter mutter


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Louis Agresta wrote:
Air0r wrote:
Blade in space? Playable space vamps? Wait those aren't really questions... I suppose neither is Space Umbrella, even if i add a question mark to it, lol.
Space Umbrella? We could make a Space Mary Poppins class... I suppose... If you really want that? *scribbles notes* mutter mutter... whatever they want mutter mutter

Will the class let you murder armies by whistling? :3

Sovereign Court Contributor

Cornielius wrote:
An overview of the playable races and the various cultures would be appreciated. Will we see things like the Traveller Scouts or the merchant family ships from fiction? In other words, a few words on organizations integral to the setting would be cool.

Each of the Crux nations will be a playable racial variant, adding new options to the core Starfinder races. Moreover, some of the aliens found near the Edge and at least one race from the Gyre will add playable races. We won't be flooding the core book with player options -- though they'll definitely be there, especially tech -- because we heard loud and clear that players want to explore the core rules first.

I have to say, Merchant Family Ships would be a great add. You might have just contributed that to the setting! I can see a number of places they are a natural fit, but yes, of course there will be setting-integral organizations. Each Crux nation will have both organizations to join and to oppose, and similarly we will also provide pan-galactic organizations.

For example, Mr. Pett's adventure will also introduce I2U (Independent Intelligence Universe) an unaffiliated, clandestine organization that travels the galaxy searching out and reporting the news, unfiltered and uncensored. Driven by an insurgent news ideology, independent I2U anchors broadcast on a pirate network of hacked relays and donated communication cycles called the Shadow Star Network. They deliver the truth, at any cost, and operate like terrorist cell networks. "That's what the government says, what about Shadowstar?"

Of course, this is just the tip of the iceberg. One of the things I particularly like about I2U is it's an organization that lends itself so naturally to a theme. We'll be announcing additional organizations closer to the Kickstarter. I'll see about posting a few more here.

As for the Crux kingdoms, let me start with a top level view of two of the five. We'll post more here, soon, and also closer to the Kickstarter.

The Attien Combine. Combine citizens live in overpopulated arcologies so huge they are visible from space. Called the "jewels in the crown," each arcology is a uniquely shaped, many-faceted gem, owned by one of the Combine's leading Trade Barons. Preeminent arms manufacturers, the Attien Combine is also a source of injustice in the Crux, as they hold human capital cheap and, unless checked, tend to throw bodies at problems until profit is reached.

The Netocracy. All Netocracy citizens are fitted with a unique exocortex module connecting their sleeping minds to an oligarchy of uploaded mega-consciousnesses that rule their nation. Once academics at the forefront of their specialties, these "dreaming gods" of the Netocracy seek offerings of sensation and experience related to the intellectual area of interest they pursued before they transcended. In return they offer the Netocrats, their most valued adherents, visions of insight and clues to solving problems.

More to come...

Sovereign Court Contributor

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Rysky the Dark Solarion wrote:
Louis Agresta wrote:
Air0r wrote:
Blade in space? Playable space vamps? Wait those aren't really questions... I suppose neither is Space Umbrella, even if i add a question mark to it, lol.
Space Umbrella? We could make a Space Mary Poppins class... I suppose... If you really want that? *scribbles notes* mutter mutter... whatever they want mutter mutter
Will the class let you murder armies by whistling? :3

OH MY G-- ...er... mutter mutter... whatever they want mutter mutter

Perhaps blowing up Drift drives by whistling then making airlock doors pop open? Don't want to be too "Guardians of the Galaxy" derivative!

Sovereign Court Contributor

Azih wrote:
More info on the Crux nations would be great. Who are the 'good guys'... or maybe more accurately which nation would be the focus of the initial introductory adventure you expect new players and GMs to start off with?

Well, we're giving away an introductory adventure from Mr. Pett, and it takes place in the Attien Combine.

The party is brought in when a orbital meat-processing plant stops shipping food to the Combine's nearby shoestring-budget colonies, and nobody knows why. The station doesn't answer hails. What could possibly go wrong?

But the heroes could be from any nation, there is no inherent need for them to be Combine citizens.

Also Grimmerspace will be chock full of short adventures that can serve as introductions to the setting (and the Starfinder rules). You'll have your choice of Crux nations in which to start things off.

Does that answer your question, I hope?


Louis Agresta wrote:
Rysky the Dark Solarion wrote:
Louis Agresta wrote:
We could make a Space Mary Poppins class... I suppose... If you really want that? *scribbles notes* mutter mutter... whatever they want mutter mutter
Will the class let you murder armies by whistling? :3
OH MY G-- ...er... mutter mutter... whatever they want mutter mutter

If you're serious, there's already a pretty good mechanical frame in Dreamscarred's Ultimate Psionics between their PFRPG soulbolt archetype and marksman base class.

---

Actually, is Grimmerspace planning to stick more or less to the Starfinder core classes, or are you looking to roll your own?

Sovereign Court Contributor

2 people marked this as a favorite.
quindraco wrote:
Louis Agresta wrote:
Does that answer your question?

Thanks, that definitely tells me a lot more about what's going on!

I'm curious about the Gyre. While anything escaping from it is going to be very alien, with entire civilizations coming out of it, there must be stories coming out of it, too - the peoples from there must at least sometimes bridge the social gap and communicate with the locals. Can you add anything more about that? Have any Cruxers ever interviewed any Gyrites?

Ah... excellent. And insightful. Most of what comes out if the Gyre -- if its even detected -- is monstrous in nature. It's been a LONG time since an entire starfaring civilization fled the Gyre. Until now. Your PCs will have the opportunity to interview the next Gyrites to emerge and to ask them, so what exactly did you say was chasing you?

They're called the Hodrak, and they're one of the setting mysteries and bad guys that make a brief appearance in Mr. Pett's intro adventure. They originate on a world rich (we'd say poisoned) in heavy metals, which they chelate into their bone to form an alloy. The bone is tended as it grows like a bonsai, creating armor plates. The warrior caste carves theirs like scrimshaw to indicate tribal rank and accomplishment. But that's all I want to reveal about them just yet.

Except, we got excited and made a metal mini of them (all costs on that prepaid, so it can't negatively impact the Kickstarter), we already have the green in hand, and we're thinking about giving a few away. I'm pretty sure we can get The Jade to unlock his paintbox and do one up, too.

Sovereign Court Contributor

Ambrosia Slaad wrote:
Actually, is Grimmerspace planning to stick more or less to the Starfinder core classes, or are you looking to roll your own?

We plan to stick pretty much to the Starfinder core classes, but when you create original setting material, if it really is original, it's hard not to hear the call of the new classes. So there will be one or two, but we plan to keep them to a minimum.

One new class concept in particular caught Wesley Snipes' attention and hooked his imagination. More on that closer to the Kickstarter.


Louis Agresta wrote:

Ah... excellent. And insightful. Most of what comes out if the Gyre -- if its even detected -- is monstrous in nature. It's been a LONG time since an entire starfaring civilization fled the Gyre. Until now. Your PCs will have the opportunity to interview the next Gyrites to emerge and to ask them, so what exactly did you say was chasing you?

They're called the Hodrak, and they're one of the setting mysteries and bad guys that make a brief appearance in Mr. Pett's intro adventure. They originate on a world rich (we'd say poisoned) in heavy metals, which they chelate into their bone to form an alloy. The bone is tended as it grows like a bonsai, creating armor plates. The warrior caste carves theirs like scrimshaw to indicate tribal rank and accomplishment. But that's all I want to reveal about them just yet.

Except, we got excited and made a metal mini of them (all costs on that prepaid, so it can't negatively impact the Kickstarter), we already have the green in hand, and we're thinking about giving a few away. I'm pretty sure we can get The Jade to unlock his paintbox and do one up, too.

I would love to see a painted Hodrak! I have to say, I approve very much of how alien they already sound, in that they have exotic (to a human) dietary needs. I like my aliens alien, and I've been struggling with the lack of information like that in the core Starfinder rules (Does anyone know the dietary needs of an Android? I personally suspect they can and need to digest sand.).

Are there any other aliens - they can be Edge or Crux, doesn't matter - you can also describe to us? Ideally in detail?

Sovereign Court Contributor

quindraco wrote:
Louis Agresta wrote:

Ah... excellent. And insightful. Most of what comes out if the Gyre -- if its even detected -- is monstrous in nature. It's been a LONG time since an entire starfaring civilization fled the Gyre. Until now. Your PCs will have the opportunity to interview the next Gyrites to emerge and to ask them, so what exactly did you say was chasing you?

They're called the Hodrak, and they're one of the setting mysteries and bad guys that make a brief appearance in Mr. Pett's intro adventure. They originate on a world rich (we'd say poisoned) in heavy metals, which they chelate into their bone to form an alloy. The bone is tended as it grows like a bonsai, creating armor plates. The warrior caste carves theirs like scrimshaw to indicate tribal rank and accomplishment. But that's all I want to reveal about them just yet.

Except, we got excited and made a metal mini of them (all costs on that prepaid, so it can't negatively impact the Kickstarter), we already have the green in hand, and we're thinking about giving a few away. I'm pretty sure we can get The Jade to unlock his paintbox and do one up, too.

I would love to see a painted Hodrak! I have to say, I approve very much of how alien they already sound, in that they have exotic (to a human) dietary needs. I like my aliens alien, and I've been struggling with the lack of information like that in the core Starfinder rules (Does anyone know the dietary needs of an Android? I personally suspect they can and need to digest sand.).

Are there any other aliens - they can be Edge or Crux, doesn't matter - you can also describe to us? Ideally in detail?

Oh yes, there are lots of them. And "alien" is an interesting word, isn't it? Technically all monsters of non-Crux origin (ie not grown in a lab) in a setting like Grimmerspace would be aliens, yet we also think of aliens as a species with which to make contact.

Alien monster. Alien species. Sometimes both, as in the movie Alien.

So to answer your question, I'm going to give an example of both. The first is a Kaiju-class monster most often encountered out near the Edge and has inspired one of Larry Elmore's contributions to the setting. The second will be in a later post...

ALIEN #1
On the edge of known space, within the shattered graveyards of planets – asteroid belts – the titanic equipment of a vanished alien race grinds on; but those who think in terms of machinery run afoul of their all too human assumptions. Kyrags are vast silicon life forms engineered to hunt, collect, and by devouring, process rare minerals. Mere cogs in the industrial complex of their vanished creators, they require neither food, nor water, nor air to survive; deriving all their sustenance from the raw material their ancient masters programmed them to devour.

Buoyed on multiple sets of wide solar-sail membranes that burn with collected light, the Kyrag’s serpentine bodies writhe across the stony landscape—chewing, ingesting, seemingly immortal. Their heads are wide, lengthy apertures filled with needle-like fangs thought to be formed of the strongest nano-material in the known universe. Soulless eyes stare unblinking at the world, enormous elliptical voids of obsidian that inspire terror in the minds of mere mortals.

For the most part Kyrags ignore any sentients who stumble across them, mindless eating machines unaware of their surroundings until inexplicably they cease to consume; instead, burrowing down and sealing themselves inside an asteroid, not unlike a lungworm in mud. After which, by some unknown propulsion method, they hurtle themselves and their rocky shells through empty space until they unerringly reach the next asteroid field.

Woe betides any colony or mining outposts occupying the area upon a Kyrag’s arrival. After bursting forth from their stony vehicles, what was before a peaceful consumption mode transitions to arrival mode and their first action is to clear all competing life from their new hunting grounds. During this purge, their digestive systems processes metal, plastic, stone, radioactive waste, and even flesh with equal abandon.

Despite every attempt to study them, questions remain: who or what created the Kyrags? What do they do with the material they collect? What goes on in the mind of these seemingly soulless devourers?

Sovereign Court Contributor

Azih wrote:
More info on the Crux nations would be great. Who are the 'good guys'... or maybe more accurately which nation would be the focus of the initial introductory adventure you expect new players and GMs to start off with?

Also, I haven't forgotten I owe Azih further summaries of the remaining Crux nations, and a more clear picture of where the heroes come from.

Those are coming soon!

Sovereign Court Contributor

Cornielius wrote:

An overview of the playable races and the various cultures would be appreciated.

Will we see things like the Traveller Scouts or the merchant family ships from fiction?

In other words, a few words on organizations integral to the setting would be cool.

And I haven't forgotten I owe Cornielius a rundown on more of the playable/opposable organizations in Grimmerspace. Coming soon too!


Louis Agresta wrote:
Air0r wrote:
Blade in space? Playable space vamps? Wait those aren't really questions... I suppose neither is Space Umbrella, even if i add a question mark to it, lol.
Space Umbrella? We could make a Space Mary Poppins class... I suppose... If you really want that? *scribbles notes* mutter mutter... whatever they want mutter mutter

I kinda meant space umbrella as a resident evil style umbrella corporation, in space.

Sovereign Court Contributor

Air0r wrote:
Louis Agresta wrote:
Air0r wrote:
Blade in space? Playable space vamps? Wait those aren't really questions... I suppose neither is Space Umbrella, even if i add a question mark to it, lol.
Space Umbrella? We could make a Space Mary Poppins class... I suppose... If you really want that? *scribbles notes* mutter mutter... whatever they want mutter mutter
I kinda meant space umbrella as a resident evil style umbrella corporation, in space.

Then yes, absolutely. Grimmerspace is the kind of setting where you would encounter Umbrella-corp like organizations. Most groups would head out toward the Edge to conduct their extra-legal or quasi-legal activities. Not all, but most.

Sovereign Court Contributor

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Azih wrote:
More info on the Crux nations would be great. Who are the 'good guys'... or maybe more accurately which nation would be the focus of the initial introductory adventure you expect new players and GMs to start off with?

Azih, I promised you summaries of the remaining three of five Crux nations. I think you'll see that, while heroes can come from any Crux nation, traditional heroes more likely come from the Thriftic Binary or the Votigan Star Kingdom.

Here they are:

The Apostasy
Five aristocratic houses rule a wicked civilization of wealthy human sadists and their bio-engineered sycophants spread across the thirteen moons of a single crypt-world. The royal families of each house chase immortality in their own unique way and are always at each other’s throats. But two things unite them: faith in their inherent superiority and the annual festival of Tarthaziel, wherein they spill blood to appease the ghosts of the ancient aliens who once inhabited their home system.

Thriftic Binary
Every subculture of the Thriftic Binary—the master roboticists of Fazhur, the Endless Mall vendors on the merchant moon Diliff, the pawnbroker cities of Sediven, even the many infamous galactic salvage companies roosting on the junkyard world Gylorr—coexists in relative tranquility. They Thriftic Binary is a smoothly running clockwork held together by the unifying philosophy of Thrifticism, which venerates the virtues of recycling, salvage, practicality, and stable commerce above all. The worlds of the Binary are the go-to spots to pawn goods, find robotic devices simply not sold elsewhere, or to purchase ship repairs, upgrades, entire recycled spaceships, and other equipment on the cheap. If you can't afford originals—go Thriftic!

Votigan Star Kingdom
The Votigan Star Kindgom is founded on two peoples who inhabit different planets within the same solar system: the Kundarans, amphibious humanoids from the lighter-gravity water-rich world of Kundara, and the Voti, squat and swarthy heavy-worlders from a mountainous, smoking planet plagued by volcanism. When the alien Benefactor uplifted the Kundarans from the oceans to the stars, it surprised them to find their neighboring planet inhabited by a people that they, in turn, could grant the skies. After generations of cultural integration, the unified Votigan Star Kingdom has expanded deeper toward the Edge than any other civilization, and of all the Crux kingdoms it is their militaries—the Kundaran Royal Navy and the Votigan Marines—who remain the most vigilant against threats coming over the Edge from the Gyre. Their motto: "Until the Torch Goes Cold."

Liberty's Edge

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

Cool.

Sovereign Court Contributor

Mothman wrote:
Cool.

Glad you think so! The other two, the Attien Combine and the Netocracy are described above. More on aliens and organizations (and what happens when they mix) soon...


Louis Agresta wrote:


Votigan Star Kingdom
The Votigan Star Kindgom is founded on two peoples who inhabit different planets within the same solar system: the Kundarans, amphibious humanoids from the lighter-gravity water-rich world of Kundara, and the Voti, squat and swarthy heavy-worlders from a mountainous, smoking planet plagued by volcanism. When the alien Benefactor uplifted the Kundarans from the oceans to the stars, it surprised them to find their neighboring planet inhabited by a people that they, in turn, could grant the skies. After generations of cultural integration, the unified Votigan Star Kingdom has expanded deeper toward the Edge than any other civilization, and of all the Crux kingdoms it is their militaries—the Kundaran Royal Navy and the Votigan Marines—who remain the most vigilant against threats coming over the Edge from the Gyre. Their motto: "Until the Torch Goes Cold."

This is brilliant on multiple levels - you got right the environmental conditions that make evolution select for small and muscular, and you've provided an excuse for ships piloted by a species used to relying on its sense of hearing for navigation, which I've been a fan of since my first novel featuring human ships piloted by uplifted dolphins.

I believe you've told us the Attiens and the Apostates are human civilizations, but the Netocracy and the Binary have the potential to be pretty egalitarian. What non-Human, non-Kundaran, non-Voti sophonts primarily inhabit the Crux?


Ok so I gotta ask: you are waving around some really big names, to what extent are they involved? Like are they just kind of putting their stamp of approval on things? Are they just funding it? Are they contributing passages? Did Sean Astin and and Wesley Snipes sit down over mixed drinks after their weekly Pathfinder game and say, "Know what? WE need to write a campaign setting!" and hammered out the manuscript and style guide.

(And that post probably came of far snarkier than it should have- genuinely interested in this)


The Netocracy seems like a pretty good place for heroes to come from too. I mean the only thing they demand is your dreams! You're not doing anything else in your sleep anyway right?

So another question. This does seem to be a very tech vs magic setting. So what space is there for people who want to use magic? Is it even possible? Are they heavily distrusted special agents like psykers in 40K? Or something else?

1 to 50 of 123 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Starfinder / Third-Party Starfinder Products / Grimmerspace All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.