What all the Well-Dressed Stationers are Wearing


General Discussion


When I picture Absalom Station in its enormity, I think of its role as crossroads of the galaxy meaning a lot of different people walking the corridors in all sorts of local garb from where they arrived. So I started to think -- when player-characters from the core races are walking around Absalom Station going about their business, what do they wear?

They obviously wouldn't be in battle gear all the time. Practically, armor and environment suits are probably uncomfortable enough that you don't want to wear it all the time unless you have to. Socially, if you're walking around in full gear ready to fight at a moment's notice and you're not affiliated with law enforcement, people will naturally assume you're looking for trouble -- and the station police will be happy to oblige. Is there some sort of magic which would make that unnecessary, as it enables you to "summon" your combat gear whenever you need it?

In any case, if you want to blend into the crowd, your clothes will say a lot about whether you can. Likewise, if you want to stand out as someone to pay attention to without looking like an immediate threat, there are other ways you can dress (and any Icon worth their credits will know exactly how!). So what do people (and PCs) wear?

Shadow Lodge

Much of the light armor category is designed to be both fashionable staion-wear and armored.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

For the poorer people, there's the ever classic Stationwear for all your clothing needs. Also good for those rare but annoying breaches, able to keep you safe for up to 24 hours while station security locks down the segment and recovers you from the cold of space.

For the wealthier and more connected business-person on the go, there's the Abadar-corp Travel Suit, the finest in business attire. And since we all know accidents love to happen during those long-distance business trips, the most affordable version will keep you safe up to a week in the void while rescue comes.

Or maybe you're the fashionable type. For you we have only the finest Echelon Fashion. Costs quite the pretty penny and you need a lot of connections to get some, but it truly is the finest in fine attire, and for the discerning customer you deserve only the finest of wear.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

also note that a lot of the more stylish light armors make heavy use of force fields to make even very revealing outfits effective pressure suits in case of emergencies. I imagine if you are on a space station it is probably stuff like this and stationwear that makes up most of your clothing. That way in case of some sudden emergency you have enough life support to keep you going until rescue happens.


Pathfinder Maps, Pawns Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber

Can you use second skin underneath your normal armor to extend your environmental protections? Just use one, then when it runs out, switch to the other?

Liberty's Edge

It wouldn't provide any AC bonus, but I'd imagine so.

If a player wanted to wear a second suit of armour for that reason, I'd just let them upgrade the environmental protections on the main armour for the same cost.


Pathfinder Maps, Pawns Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber
LordRiffington wrote:

It wouldn't provide any AC bonus, but I'd imagine so.

If a player wanted to wear a second suit of armour for that reason, I'd just let them upgrade the environmental protections on the main armour for the same cost.

wouldn't that take an upgrade slot though?


i imagine that the fashions are constantly changing on absalom station! in my game black turtlenecks are all the rage among the hoi polloi right now thanks to those grim but fashionable eoxians.

edit: wait, I read this as a fashion question, not a mechanical question about life support, but I don't imagine normal folk (meaning your average NPC) are too concerned about life support emergencies in the cultural center of the pact worlds. If anything, such concerns seem very gauche!

Dark Archive

And remember, second skin armor may well be the kind nobody knows you're wearing. If it's color matches your skin tone it'll seamlessly blend in with your actual skin.


Wrikreechee have those cool hats, but they might just be part of their exoskeleton.


Kahel Stormbender wrote:
And remember, second skin armor may well be the kind nobody knows you're wearing. If it's color matches your skin tone it'll seamlessly blend in with your actual skin.

Seems like a great selling point until someone a little too dense decides to take up a suit, not realizing they can wear other items with this particular set of "armor". On the upside, my Ysoki envoy icon really rocked the sphinx cat look when waltzing about the station for our first game session. :D


jack ferencz wrote:
i imagine that the fashions are constantly changing on absalom station! in my game black turtlenecks are all the rage among the hoi polloi right now thanks to those grim but fashionable eoxians.

Who don't care in the least about the trends they are setting? Or do Exoians off-world play the goth act to the hilt to try and maintain the perception of being undead as cool and even desirable?


From a practical standpoint, I doubt many 1st level characters would possess anything that would raise any eyebrows.

However, given the mishmash of cultures at the station, it could be fun to have "hayseed" new arrivals looking backwards or out of place dye to their clothing or equipment, making them as new or out-of-synch.

At higher levels, I'm sure there are areas where full battle rattle would be fine, and others where it would cause them to be reused entry.


Pathfinder Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber

My own rule of thumb is that, light armor pretty much never raises eyebrows. Light armor, even the stuff readily identifiable as such, is all purpose. It provides environmental protection, useful utility functions, and defense in case of emergencies. Plus, its usually fairly comfortable, no less so than clothing or protective gear.

Its only heavy armor that draws attention, because the *only* good reason for wearing it is an expectation of combat. Nobody would wear heavy armor just as clothing or environmental protection, its too heavy and cumbersome.

As for the Eoxians and fashion? I imagine they are generally in favor of anything that normalizes undead. The more people look on undead as just people, even in a vague subliminal "that's where I get the cool fashion from" sense? The less likely the Pact is going to decide to burn Eox to the mantle.


And even among Heavy Armor, there's some armor you can probably get away with. Such as Thinplate, which it's possible to wear and not exactly be obvious you're wearing it. (As a side note, Thinplate makes me question the whole "Heavy Armor is too bulky to fit into Power Armor" thing given it's thin enough to wear under loose clothing while Stationwear can literally be that loose clothing).


So how would you guys deal with a player who decides that they're going to wear a Second Skin underneath Thinplate which is underneath other armor and that the ACs of all of them should stack.

Other than telling them not to do that of course.


Azih wrote:

So how would you guys deal with a player who decides that they're going to wear a Second Skin underneath Thinplate which is underneath other armor and that the ACs of all of them should stack.

Other than telling them not to do that of course.

Well, armor bonuses don't stack, so tell them that.


Azih wrote:

So how would you guys deal with a player who decides that they're going to wear a Second Skin underneath Thinplate which is underneath other armor and that the ACs of all of them should stack.

Other than telling them not to do that of course.

-The PC may do that.

-Like bonuses don't stack. This is a basic principle of the game.
-Penalties do, should more than one of them have a similar penalty.
-Taken to its logical conclusion, and with Second Skin being able to fit all sizes of character, then all the top soldiers would be layered with as many as their Str/bulk limit could handle (50+!).
Done.

Trouble beyond that, it's a matter of having an unreasonable player or one willing to argue for whatever advantage they can get away with. Either type is a liability that will corrupt the game, causing it to implode. All the participants have to be able to work well with others and have the goals of why you're all playing the game in mind, just like in any other group endeavor.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Lavawight wrote:

So how would you guys deal with a player who decides that they're going to wear a Second Skin underneath Thinplate which is underneath other armor and that the ACs of all of them should stack.

Other than telling them not to do that of course.

"You didn't read any of the book, did you?"


What would someone think if you walked around the station wearing Second Skin and nothing else?

If it's an opaque color, there would probably be no problem (though the lack of pockets might be a practical issue, it can be gotten around). But if it's transparent, there are decks where there would be issues.

Although there might be a deck or two where walking around semi-naked is perfectly acceptable....


The wearing second skin under other armor case is specifically described in the book and how to handle that. The only possible issue if somebody wants to wear "infinite" second skins although it likely won't pop up much because it is basically pointless to do.

I would assume most space ports/stations would not only accept light armor but expect it as well. Space is not a forgiving environment and you would be mad to not be wearing environmental protection when on one especially if they are not bulky nor unattractive.

I assume given second skin is likely pretty common that mostly if you are strutting around in only that you get some eye rolls and that's about it.


Pathfinder Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber

Bear in mind that there are a *lot* of different species running about. Its easy to figure they have similarly wide views on what is an appropriate amount and type of clothing. So, people are probably relatively tolerant.


Considering anyone can buy their ideal body type for 75 credits thanks to the Serum of Appearance Change I would bet a lot of people walk around in Second Skins or less.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

I want to make a high-Cha icon with a T-shirt that says 'SET TO STUN'. :P


Metaphysician wrote:

My own rule of thumb is that, light armor pretty much never raises eyebrows. Light armor, even the stuff readily identifiable as such, is all purpose. It provides environmental protection, useful utility functions, and defense in case of emergencies. Plus, its usually fairly comfortable, no less so than clothing or protective gear.

Its only heavy armor that draws attention, because the *only* good reason for wearing it is an expectation of combat. Nobody would wear heavy armor just as clothing or environmental protection, its too heavy and cumbersome.

I would imagine some species would see heavy armor as perfectly acceptable garb when out and about. Vesk come to mind, given their cultural outlook.


Pathfinder Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Steven "Troll" O'Neal wrote:
Metaphysician wrote:

My own rule of thumb is that, light armor pretty much never raises eyebrows. Light armor, even the stuff readily identifiable as such, is all purpose. It provides environmental protection, useful utility functions, and defense in case of emergencies. Plus, its usually fairly comfortable, no less so than clothing or protective gear.

Its only heavy armor that draws attention, because the *only* good reason for wearing it is an expectation of combat. Nobody would wear heavy armor just as clothing or environmental protection, its too heavy and cumbersome.

I would imagine some species would see heavy armor as perfectly acceptable garb when out and about. Vesk come to mind, given their cultural outlook.

Oh, definitely true. However, in a non-Vesk area, this would still draw at least some attention, even if only in a "Oh, those silly Vesk and their full plate mail" sense.


That's true, but as a core race most would become accustomed to it. At least on a space station or major starport. If we're talking small town Triaxus, seeing someone in heavy armor would be quite noteworthy.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

It might be a little expensive for a first level character, but there is always the 500 credit Holoskin. You could be wearing the heaviest armor, but it look like you're in the skimpiest of fashionwear, at least until someone goes to try and touch you. But at slightly higher levels, it could be a very cost effective way to easily blend into any crowd, considering it can even change what race you look like, again, until someone touches you in some way.


CurleyWhirly wrote:
It might be a little expensive for a first level character, but there is always the 500 credit Holoskin. You could be wearing the heaviest armor, but it look like you're in the skimpiest of fashionwear, at least until someone goes to try and touch you. But at slightly higher levels, it could be a very cost effective way to easily blend into any crowd, considering it can even change what race you look like, again, until someone touches you in some way.

You would still have to deal with wearing hot, sweaty, and heavy armor -- even if nobody else can see it. Safety and fashion must sometimes give way to comfort. Especially since I imagine the lower quarters in Absalom Station (where all the proles live) are hot, steamy, dirty, and only moderately sanitary. You can get sticky and gross in a great hurry down there. Hopefully someone in the party knows some magic to give them the equivalent of a good shower whenever they need one, even with no hot water available....


Pathfinder Maps, Pawns Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber

Pretty sure holoskin covers you in a hologram, and doesn't make things simply "disappear." You could look like you're wearing the skimpiest of fashionwear, sure, but you'd also have to be really fat or something to cover all the armor.


Ravingdork wrote:
Pretty sure holoskin covers you in a hologram, and doesn't make things simply "disappear." You could look like you're wearing the skimpiest of fashionwear, sure, but you'd also have to be really fat or something to cover all the armor.

That's literally what CurlyWhirly said.

However nothing about "environmentally controlled for days at a time" armor suggests it's going to be overly uncomfortable.

How are gaseous/temperature environmental hazards even a thing at that point? Heck just turn on the environmentals on your suit. At a minimum it's going to last the day and recharging is basically free.

Why worry about what's in the area, and if someone in the area has spaceaids, or if the smoke from those repairs is toxic? It makes no sense.

At a minimum I could see this being an update to the Prophecy of Kalistrade.


Starfinder Superscriber
Amaltopek wrote:
You would still have to deal with wearing hot, sweaty, and heavy armor -- even if nobody else can see it. Safety and fashion must sometimes give way to comfort. Especially since I imagine the lower quarters in Absalom Station (where all the proles live) are hot, steamy, dirty, and only moderately sanitary. You can get sticky and gross in a great hurry down there. Hopefully someone in the party knows some magic to give them the equivalent of a good shower whenever they need one, even with no hot water available....

Token Spell still has the clean effect from Prestidigitation. It also has "flavoring" which is the same as scenting something in a pleasant way.

Everyone in my party is always going to be clean and smelling of dandelion wine.

Community / Forums / Starfinder / Starfinder General Discussion / What all the Well-Dressed Stationers are Wearing All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.
Recent threads in Starfinder General Discussion