Lack of functions in certain PDFs?


Website Feedback

Silver Crusade

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Companion, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber

Sorry if this isn’t the right place to put it but I didn’t know where else for it to go.

I’m using iBooks as my PDF reader and for the latest* couple of Hardcover releases (Starfinder Core Rulebook, Alien Archive, Bestiary 6, Book of the Damned) I just noticed that I can’t create bookmarks on any of the pages and I can’t highlight any text for copy/pasting.

On the softcovers such as APs I can highlight text but I cannot create bookmarks.

*Adventurer’s Guide seems to be the exception, though I can’t put bookmarks in it either.


Rysky wrote:

Sorry if this isn’t the right place to put it but I didn’t know where else for it to go.

I’m using iBooks as my PDF reader and for the latest* couple of Hardcover releases (Starfinder Core Rulebook, Alien Archive, Bestiary 6, Book of the Damned) I just noticed that I can’t create bookmarks on any of the pages and I can’t highlight any text for copy/pasting.

On the softcovers such as APs I can highlight text but I cannot create bookmarks.

*Adventurer’s Guide seems to be the exception, though I can’t put bookmarks in it either.

I'm having the same issue. Is there a way to fix this? I use an iPad as my primary resource when running, and the Starfinder book at least is unmanageable without some way of bookmarking.

Sczarni

Adventure Path Charter Subscriber; Pathfinder Adventure, Companion, Lost Omens Subscriber

I know in the past when things like this have come up its been something with Ireader not liking fonts or something..... Goodreader was the best 4.99 purchase I made for my Ipad

Customer Service Representative

1 person marked this as a favorite.

Customer Service doesn't have much information about this. Moving to Website Feedback.


Pathfinder Starfinder Society Subscriber

This is an issue with iOS 11, not Paizo. I think that it results from the fact that the new version of iBooks tries to draw a red bookmark on the top right corner of the page, but if there is already an art asset there, it won’t create the bookmark. I reported the problem to Apple the day iOS 11 went live (and I even used the Pathfinder Core Rulebook as my example).

Community & Digital Content Director

1 person marked this as a favorite.

PneumaPilot2 may have the right of it. We have not made any modifications to the process we utilize for PDF creation in some years at this point.

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Companion, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber
Sharaya wrote:
Customer Service doesn't have much information about this. Moving to Website Feedback.

Thankies.

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Companion, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber
Chris Lambertz wrote:
PneumaPilot2 may have the right of it. We have not made any modifications to the process we utilize for PDF creation in some years at this point.

Could it be the way I downloaded some books? I used to download to my computer, put in iTunes and sync to my phone. Now I download directly through the Zip Viewer app. Because some of the older downloaded books I can attach bookmarks to.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Card Game, Maps, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Maps, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber
Rysky wrote:
Chris Lambertz wrote:
PneumaPilot2 may have the right of it. We have not made any modifications to the process we utilize for PDF creation in some years at this point.
Could it be the way I downloaded some books? I used to download to my computer, put in iTunes and sync to my phone. Now I download directly through the Zip Viewer app. Because some of the older downloaded books I can attach bookmarks to.

That is likely the issue. Adding bookmarks, etc requires modifying the file. If you’re opening it in a zip, it maybe creates a temporary unzipped pdf and opens that, then deletes the temporary pdf when you’re done with it.

Grand Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Starfinder Maps Subscriber

Goodreader is an excellent app for the iPad, and it works like a dream with Paizo PDFs. It is how I do all my gaming.

Hmm


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Starfinder Society Subscriber

Make sure to let Apple know that there’s a problem by going to www.apple.com/feedback

Silver Crusade

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Companion, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber

Okies, Thankies for the advice everyone, I’ll probaly go check out Goodreader for right now.

I’ll also send this along to Apple, Pneuma.

Community / Forums / Paizo / Website Feedback / Lack of functions in certain PDFs? All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.