What is the bulk of an average medium humanoid?


Rules Questions


1 person marked this as FAQ candidate. 2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Maps, Pawns Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber

What is the bulk of an average medium humanoid? If I needed to drag an unconscious companion to safety, for example, or perhaps throw them over my shoulder.


P. 167, Carrying Capacity - Estimating Bulk wrote:
As a general rule, an item that weighs around 5 to 10 pounds is 1 bulk (and every multiple of 10 is an additional bulk), an item weight a few ounces is negligible, and everything in between is light. An awkward or unwieldy item might have a higher bulk.

An average medium humanoid will have an average weight for their species, and a bulk of one tenth that weight in pounds. Maybe higher, if they qualify as awkward or unwieldy, based on the whims of the GM.


Pathfinder Maps, Pawns Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber

That seems like it would come out a little high.
A 200 lb. individual should not require a 40 Strength giant to move about.

Firefighters aren't nearly that strong and get victims out all the time.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber
Ravingdork wrote:

That seems like it would come out a little high.

A 200 lb. individual should not require a 40 Strength giant to move about.

Firefighters aren't nearly that strong and get victims out all the time.

You're right, they do... but they're not unencumbered. You can move up to half your strength without penalty, up to your strength encumbered... anything more than that, you are over burdened. Firefighters are very clearly encumbered when carrying someone. 20 str to actually carry, nevermind drag, seems realistic.

It probably would take a 40 strength giant to move your 200lb vesk unencumbered, that is, no penalty whatsoever to movement

Liberty's Edge

P. 384 under Unseen Servant clarifies that you can still drag 5 times as much as you can carry. So, at Str 10 you can drag 500 lbs of stuff. Picking up and carrying someone who's 200 lbs would require an unencumbered Str of 20...but dragging works.


But here's the thing, an average person can carry an average persons weight in addition to their own pretty easily. Not for very long, and not very fast, but with 10 strength the max you can carry is a 100 lb person? I'm not exactly a strong guy but I can pick up my wife and move her pretty easily... I feel like a person's bulk should be lower than weight/10

Liberty's Edge

baggageboy wrote:
But here's the thing, an average person can carry an average persons weight in addition to their own pretty easily. Not for very long, and not very fast, but with 10 strength the max you can carry is a 100 lb person? I'm not exactly a strong guy but I can pick up my wife and move her pretty easily... I feel like a person's bulk should be lower than weight/10

Well, by the rules, if you carry more than your Str in bulk you can still move 5 feet per round...so that's only barely a house rule.


Quote:
...and every multiple of ten is an additional bulk

Am I having a moment, or does this mean that 50-100lb is 2 bulk? (5-10lb *10)

Liberty's Edge

dragonhunterq wrote:
Quote:
...and every multiple of ten is an additional bulk

Am I having a moment, or does this mean that 50-100lb is 2 bulk? (5-10lb *10)

That would be cool...but result in some pretty absurd carrying capacities. Bulk 5 would be 100,000 lbs, for example.

Also, the example of Unseen Servant (and, I think, a few others) specifically handle it the other way.

Scarab Sages

Pathfinder Starfinder Society Subscriber
Deadmanwalking wrote:
dragonhunterq wrote:
Quote:
...and every multiple of ten is an additional bulk

Am I having a moment, or does this mean that 50-100lb is 2 bulk? (5-10lb *10)

That would be cool...but result in some pretty absurd carrying capacities. Bulk 5 would be 100,000 lbs, for example.

Also, the example of Unseen Servant (and, I think, a few others) specifically handle it the other way.

And a set of Jarlslayer armor (43 Bulk) would be 1*10^43 pounds... or roughly the mass of the Earth.

Grand Lodge

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion, Lost Omens, Rulebook Subscriber

You could grip them by the husk...


dragonhunterq wrote:
Quote:
...and every multiple of ten is an additional bulk
Am I having a moment, or does this mean that 50-100lb is 2 bulk? (5-10lb *10)

It means that every multiple of 10, e.g. 1*10, 2*10, is an additional one bulk. 5-10 pounds are one bulk. 19 pounds are also 1 bulk, because it has not added a full multiple of 10 and Starfinder rounds down. 20 pounds are 2 bulk, as are 29 pounds. 30-39 pounds are 3 bulk, and so on. While your misreading would substantially boost carrying capacity, it would lead to some amusingly absurd conclusions, as seen above.


Forty2 wrote:
And a set of Jarlslayer armor (43 Bulk) would be 1*10^43 pounds... or roughly the mass of the Earth.

I wouldn't describe 10^43 pounds as being roughly the same as 5 x 10^24 kg. Thats a few too many orders of magnitude for my taste.

Earth's mass is about 5 x 10^24 kg. Sun's mass is about 2 x 10^30 kg. Milkway galaxy is about 10^12 solar masses. Factor of 2.2 for kg to pounds conversion.

So 10^43 pounds is about one Milky way galaxy in terms of mass. Or roughly 1 billion billion earths.

Scarab Sages

Pathfinder Starfinder Society Subscriber
Hiruma Kai wrote:
Forty2 wrote:
And a set of Jarlslayer armor (43 Bulk) would be 1*10^43 pounds... or roughly the mass of the Earth.

I wouldn't describe 10^43 pounds as being roughly the same as 5 x 10^24 kg. Thats a few too many orders of magnitude for my taste.

Earth's mass is about 5 x 10^24 kg. Sun's mass is about 2 x 10^30 kg. Milkway galaxy is about 10^12 solar masses. Factor of 2.2 for kg to pounds conversion.

So 10^43 pounds is about one Milky way galaxy in terms of mass. Or roughly 1 billion billion earths.

Oh... yep, my math is WAY off. For some reason, I thought that dividing the exponent by 2.2 would divide the total value by 2.2, when it clearly does not.


page 41, table 3-1...
android 100-200
human 100-300
kasatha 120-200
lashunta 100-150
vesk 200-300
ysoki 60-100

all the classic races you can figure out from pathfinder or something

Community / Forums / Starfinder / Rules Questions / What is the bulk of an average medium humanoid? All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.
Recent threads in Rules Questions