Soooo, backpacks are useless, right?


Rules Questions

Scarab Sages

2 people marked this as FAQ candidate.

So, if I read this correctly, you have a bulk limit of 1/2 your Str score. So an average joe has a bulk limit of 5 for 10(or 11) Str.

Commercial backpacks increase your bulk limit as if your strength was 1 higher, and industrial as if it were 2. Thing is, THEY BOTH ARE 1 BULK.

So for a commercial backpack, you actually loose carrying capacity while wearing one, and for an industrial backpack, you just break even.

So, I mean, they do nothing, right?


1 person marked this as a favorite.

A backpack's bulk is not counted against you when properly worn, though the bulk of its contents is.


Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber; Pathfinder Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber

Wrong. If you are wearing the backpack, its bulk doesn't count toward your limit.


Yep, backpack's bulk only counts when it's being carried, not when it's being worn.


VampByDay wrote:

Thing is, THEY BOTH ARE 1 BULK.

So for a commercial backpack, you actually loose carrying capacity while wearing one, and for an industrial backpack, you just break even.

So, I mean, they do nothing, right?

You are not reading this correctly.

Starfinder Core Rules wrote:
When fitted properly and worn, the bulk of the backpack itself does not count against your bulk carried (though it does if you carry it in your hands), but the bulk of any items within it does.

So if your wearing your backpack correctly not only does it increase your CC it does not itself count against your CC.

Scarab Sages

Ah, thank you all. I knew that couldn't be right.


Pathfinder Maps, Pawns Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber

Whoah, I totally stopped reading too soon. I didn't think they adjusted your bulk capacity at all. Thanks for pointing that out!

Much less useless in our games now. ;-)


1 person marked this as a favorite.

I have 6 Strength. I'm not giving up my Industrial Backpack for anything.

The Exchange

Wikrin wrote:
I have 6 Strength. I'm not giving up my Industrial Backpack for anything.

How do you get a six strength when the base line to start is 10 and races only give a -2 at most?

Or is this dice roll?


Wrath wrote:
Wikrin wrote:
I have 6 Strength. I'm not giving up my Industrial Backpack for anything.

How do you get a six strength when the base line to start is 10 and races only give a -2 at most?

Or is this dice roll?

Dice roll, yeah. Technically rolled a seven, but I was pretty set on playing a Bleachling, so I used the Themeless bonus (there is no "Miner" theme) to bump it up one and ate the penalty. Only played point-buy once or twice and in my experience, it's a lot less fun. Your mileage may vary.

The Exchange

Nah, fair call Wikirin. Prior to 3.5 DnD all my groups ever did was dice roll. 3d6 apply as needed.

It was only 3.5 that we even heard of things like point buy and roll 4 dice take the best three.

Hats off to you for running with it :)


Wikrin wrote:
Wrath wrote:
Wikrin wrote:
I have 6 Strength. I'm not giving up my Industrial Backpack for anything.

How do you get a six strength when the base line to start is 10 and races only give a -2 at most?

Or is this dice roll?

Dice roll, yeah. Technically rolled a seven, but I was pretty set on playing a Bleachling, so I used the Themeless bonus (there is no "Miner" theme) to bump it up one and ate the penalty. Only played point-buy once or twice and in my experience, it's a lot less fun. Your mileage may vary.

A way to do a miner theme could be a Scholar who whose chosen field of study is geology. Gotta know all you can about rocks, after all.


6 people marked this as a favorite.

I really dig how Starfinder moved away from rolling for stats and hp. Having to effectively roll against a permanent-save-or-suck effect every time you gain a level was never my idea of fun.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Maps, Pawns Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber
Melkiador wrote:
I really dig how Starfinder moved away from rolling for stats and hp. Having to effectively roll against a permanent-save-or-suck effect every time you gain a level was never my idea of fun.

Agreed!


HammerJack wrote:
Wrong. If you are wearing the backpack, its bulk doesn't count toward your limit.

The Starfinder Backpack from Armory doesn't have the same rule mentioned, but it does refer to "other backpacks." The backpacks section in Core has that rule and then commercial and industrial have their own subsections.

Does the Starfinder Backpack get the same benefit? Does its bulk not count when it is properly worn?


It only says it doesn't stack with other backpacks, so apparently not...

That's probably an oversight, but even if it's not it's still better than the others.


Smash64 wrote:
HammerJack wrote:
Wrong. If you are wearing the backpack, its bulk doesn't count toward your limit.

The Starfinder Backpack from Armory doesn't have the same rule mentioned, but it does refer to "other backpacks." The backpacks section in Core has that rule and then commercial and industrial have their own subsections.

Does the Starfinder Backpack get the same benefit? Does its bulk not count when it is properly worn?

I read the CRB text to mean that those rules (when worn properly a backpack's bulk doesn't count against your encumbrance) are for backpacks in general and the Starfinder model is a new type of backpack. Since it is a backpack it qualifes for that rule. That makes the most sense to me at least.


Pathfinder Maps, Pawns Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber

I agree with Kudaku.


Unless the Starfinder backpack is some kind of rebel, flying the in face of the rules all the other backpacks have to follow, I'd say it behaves like a regular backpack.

Community / Forums / Starfinder / Rules Questions / Soooo, backpacks are useless, right? All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.