Frustrated at Pre-order


General Discussion


I pre-ordered all the starfinder products off Amazon. It's cheaper and I get free two day shipping. Of the thousands of dollars I have spent on pathfinder products via amazon, never have I encountered this message basically seventeen days out from release.
Not yet shipped
Delivery estimate: We need a little more time to provide you with a good estimate. We'll notify you via e-mail as soon as we have an estimated delivery date.
Now I am sure Amazon will be the TOP distribution site for all things starfinder. I find that they don't have a date yet very disturbing. Have they not received the books for shipment? Is Paizo holding back a few days after gen-con for release? Someone at Paizo knows and if they don't they need to be on a phone to Amazon and finding out what is up. I ,like many people I know are frustrated at the lack of information forthcoming. Inevitably someone will say we don't control what Amazon does..And yet you do as they must have a release date from the parent company. In this case Paizo. Thank you for your time and patience.

Silver Crusade

4 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Companion, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber

Pretty sure Amazon gets Paizo books from Paizo's distributer, not Paizo. It's called Diamond something or other.

Also I'm pretty sure Amazon never gets products out by Street Date or sooner.


4 people marked this as a favorite.

Pre-ordering stuff from Amazon will nearly always mean getting it cheaper, but I've found it rarely means getting it sooner...irrespective of the shipping method. YMMV.


Gowen, that's pretty much par for the course with Amazon. Don't expect anything like this by street date. Sorry.


I've seem to recall reading more than once that the Amazon method for generating release dates is a mystery...even to Amazon's partners.

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Companion, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber

The Amazon estimated delivery dates for most of the Starfinder stuff was September 5. Amazon is known for selling Paizo stuff late but cheap. The late delivery is simply a tradeoff for the lower cost.


Pathfinder Card Game, Maps, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Maps, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber

Amazon typically gets things out after street date. This is because they get their books from a book distributor (as opposed to hobby store distributor). Book distributors send out new releases earlier in the week than hobby store distributors, but Paizo sets street dates based on hobby store release days. This means book distributors send out books around a week later than hobby stores get them. On top of that, Amazon delays it even more (probably to make sure there's inventory in enough warehouses) before sending out copies.

tl;dr Paizo has no control over when Amazon decides they want to start shipping out product


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Companion, Maps Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber

Vic Wertz, October 2009:

Vic Wertz wrote:

We don't ship (or sell) directly to Amazon—we ship to the distributor they buy from. Our distributor shipments went out two weeks ago and, from there, when, how, and where the books go is out of our hands. The retail release date is today, October 21, and most of our distributors should have had enough time to get copies to most of their retailers by today.

I have no idea why Amazon is post-dating the release date.

Chris Self, May 2011:

Chris Self wrote:

The distributor Amazon buys from, Diamond, releases new items on Tuesday. Paizo releases new items on Wednesday. So, Diamond will release their new Paizo items the Tuesday after Paizo releases them. Which means that Amazon won't have them on release day.

A few days before release date, Amazon's algorithms will say, "Huh, we don't have this book that's releasing on Wednesday in stock. Let's push the release date back a month."

Viola. Amazon says that the product isn't available and is releasing a month late.

Vic Wertz, June 2013:

Vic Wertz wrote:
The retail release date is June 26. (Never trust Amazon's release dates for our products; they have no bearing on reality.)

This is absolutely standard procedure for new Paizo products at Amazon. Maybe you've ordered already-released product from them before?


Thank-you for your response. I don't care if it's delayed I would just like a date to expect the material. I can't plan my gaming schedule for Starfinder Adventure Path: Incident at Absalom Station (Dead Suns 1 of 6) if I don't know when to expect it. I plan to order the pdf so I can be up to speed on the core rules while I wait for my book to arrive. I am just frustrated that I am spending close to $200.oo and I can't get a release date from Amazon.

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Companion, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber

Um, seeing as how Dead Suns 1 is sold out at Paizo it's probably be gonna be a long while before Amazon gets copies, moreso than other Paizo products.


3 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Companion, Maps Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber

Diamond gets its own shipment of Dead Suns #1, which it will send out to LGSs, Amazon, etc. Whether it's enough to go around remains to be seen.

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Companion, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber

Ah, cool.


gowen7thcav wrote:
Thank-you for your response. I don't care if it's delayed I would just like a date to expect the material. I can't plan my gaming schedule for Starfinder Adventure Path: Incident at Absalom Station (Dead Suns 1 of 6) if I don't know when to expect it. I plan to order the pdf so I can be up to speed on the core rules while I wait for my book to arrive. I am just frustrated that I am spending close to $200.oo and I can't get a release date from Amazon.

I subscribed to the whole line, and my order total for literally everything coming out in August was like $250, and I'm getting all the pdfs too. With the pdfs + Paizo subscriber discount and getting it as soon as they can ship it, I think it was worth the extra $50.

Liberty's Edge

3 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Companion, Maps, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Maps, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber

While I get the OPs sense of frustration, it is worth pointing out - as others have - that the preferred point of sale for Paizo is, of course, through this website, preferably as a subscriber.

But that is not for everybody and that's fine too. Turns out, there is a significant demand for buying hardcover gaming books off of Amazon. It fits the Amazon business model nicely.

And buying through your FLGS is okay as well. Lots of people buy the products differently, through a number of sales points. All are valid.

However, if it is speed and certainty that you crave, buying directly from Paizo as a subscriber is the most reliable method. Plus, you get your PDF as soon as your order is picked by the shipping department (and paid for). I look forward to that day most, as that is when PDFs are available to me to download. Physical product may be delivered some time well after that. It's the PDFs I'm jonesing for the most!


Pathfinder Lost Omens, Rulebook, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber

Amazon actually does that quite a bit. They have the release date as 8-17-17. It may hit around that date. They do the same thing with D&D 5th. They have been pretty good with the release dates for 5th.

Dark Archive

I know for a fact my local Barnes and Noble has StarFinder in their back room waiting for the 17th.


3 people marked this as a favorite.
Mine all mine...don't touch wrote:
I know for a fact my local Barnes and Noble has StarFinder in their back room waiting for the 17th.

So uh, city, state, street and floor plans? Asking for a friend...


2 people marked this as a favorite.

Wearing a fake mustache and bowler hat.

Yes, a friend...


Rysky wrote:

Pretty sure Amazon gets Paizo books from Paizo's distributer, not Paizo. It's called Diamond something or other.

Also I'm pretty sure Amazon never gets products out by Street Date or sooner.

Actually, once or twice I have had things a day early. But that was in error. Generally, they try to ship so that the product arrives on the release date, but it's pretty hit and miss. If they hit problems in the supply chain you could end up with your stuff a couple of weeks late.

They properly had the books sitting in the warehouse when they were eaten by giant space rats, so they had to order some more.

ya pays ya money and ya takes ya chance.


Yeah I have amazon prime I get everything from them. I usually have to wait 2 weeks after the book officially comes out before I can order it from them.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber

Seems like this would be a query better directed at Amazon. JMO.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

I would love to buy direct from Paizo, but the shipping costs to the UK are just two much. I'm not sure why smaller publishers can supply direct at reasonable prices, and Paizo cannot?

If they made an effort to cut the costs down I'd subscribe.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
CaniestDog wrote:

I would love to buy direct from Paizo, but the shipping costs to the UK are just two much. I'm not sure why smaller publishers can supply direct at reasonable prices, and Paizo cannot?

If they made an effort to cut the costs down I'd subscribe.

I can't but imagine that they, like every other gaming company I've run across shipping out of the U.S., have tried to find a lower price point. Is there a reason you feel they haven't made an effort?


Starfinder Charter Superscriber
CaniestDog wrote:

I would love to buy direct from Paizo, but the shipping costs to the UK are just two much. I'm not sure why smaller publishers can supply direct at reasonable prices, and Paizo cannot?

If they made an effort to cut the costs down I'd subscribe.

I’ve convinced myself that the shipping fees to the UK are reasonable, simply because the shipping costs are less than the costs of the PDFs (which are included with the subscription).


Alfray Stryke wrote:
I’ve convinced myself that the shipping fees to the UK are reasonable, simply because the shipping costs are less than the costs of the PDFs (which are included with the subscription).

That must have been a good job on the convincing. :)

I'd prefer to buy direct but $60 for the book and $52 for shipping to the UK was a bit much for me as well.


Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber
Kinjin wrote:
Alfray Stryke wrote:
I’ve convinced myself that the shipping fees to the UK are reasonable, simply because the shipping costs are less than the costs of the PDFs (which are included with the subscription).

That must have been a good job on the convincing. :)

I'd prefer to buy direct but $60 for the book and $52 for shipping to the UK was a bit much for me as well.

Don't feel too bad I signed up for the AP. Cost of AP1 $22.99, cost of shipping to Toronto area about 50 miles from US border crossing $34.16 (cheapest option) total cost in Canadian dollars $71.59 but at least I get the pdf for Free...


Exchange rates are currently unfavorable, and that affects the cost of shipping as well as the cost of the product.

I'm planning on just buying the pdf and printing it myself.


Starfinder Charter Superscriber

Eh, shipping for the order was around $70, total value of the PDFs is around $200, since I want both the physical books and the PDFs it seemed obvious to me.

Also if Paizo are reading this, yes that means your subscription offers do work even with the awful GBP/USD exchange rate.


I plan to buy the pdf as well but I purchased all the Starfinder stuff...if we just download what others buy eventually paizo will go out of business. But I prefer amazon. I ordered the core rules and the dead suns 1 with free shipping for the cost of just the core book on paizo dot com.

Liberty's Edge

CaniestDog wrote:

I would love to buy direct from Paizo, but the shipping costs to the UK are just two much. I'm not sure why smaller publishers can supply direct at reasonable prices, and Paizo cannot?

If they made an effort to cut the costs down I'd subscribe.

Don't know for the U.K., but in my case (Spain) if you plan to buy everything, you are better off subscribing to Paizo instead of buying from Amazon, even with the absurd shipping costs.

My August subscription will deliver me the CRB, AP1, Mat Terrain, Mat Starfield, GM Screen, Pawns, combat pad and character folios for 225$ (includes 57$ of shipping). That converts to roughly 200€. Buying everything from Amazon Spain will cost me 212€, which will ship later and won't include the PDFs.

Here is a breakdown of those numbers in a nice image.

I was charged 200€ on Friday, so I can confirm you that's the final price I got. For £ the conversion seems to be pretty similar, around 200£, but you should compare with the prices from Amazon UK. It may be a better deal to subscribe and get all those nice PDFs for free, an get the books on release instead of whatever Amazon will do.


gowen7thcav wrote:

I pre-ordered all the starfinder products off Amazon. It's cheaper and I get free two day shipping. Of the thousands of dollars I have spent on pathfinder products via amazon, never have I encountered this message basically seventeen days out from release.

Not yet shipped
Delivery estimate: We need a little more time to provide you with a good estimate. We'll notify you via e-mail as soon as we have an estimated delivery date.

What did I just read!? I am seriously trying to comprehend this post.

Essentially: "I ordered off Amazon and they don't have a shipping date. So I write on the paizo message board asking about Amazon shipping details"?

I don't know bro... Maybe this will help?
http://paizo.com/paizo/about/contact

gowen7thcav wrote:


Someone at Paizo knows and if they don't they need to be on a phone to Amazon and finding out what is up. I ,like many people I know are frustrated at the lack of information forthcoming.

Or... You could just order it from Paizo? I mean you are saving $6!


Pathfinder Starfinder Maps Subscriber
JetSetRadio wrote:
gowen7thcav wrote:

I pre-ordered all the starfinder products off Amazon. It's cheaper and I get free two day shipping. Of the thousands of dollars I have spent on pathfinder products via amazon, never have I encountered this message basically seventeen days out from release.

Not yet shipped
Delivery estimate: We need a little more time to provide you with a good estimate. We'll notify you via e-mail as soon as we have an estimated delivery date.

What did I just read!? I am seriously trying to comprehend this post.

Essentially: "I ordered off Amazon and they don't have a shipping date. So I write on the paizo message board asking about Amazon shipping details"?

I don't know bro... Maybe this will help?
http://paizo.com/paizo/about/contact

gowen7thcav wrote:


Someone at Paizo knows and if they don't they need to be on a phone to Amazon and finding out what is up. I ,like many people I know are frustrated at the lack of information forthcoming.
Or... You could just order it from Paizo? I mean you are saving $6!

OK. And I thought it was just me. THANK YOU, JetSetRadio!!

HAHAHA


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Achaekek, He Who Walks In Blood wrote:

Wearing a fake mustache and bowler hat.

Yes, a friend...

I love the mental image of a monstrous Preying Mantis wearing a fake moustache and Bowler hat, trying to talk its way into a B&N storeroom. :D

*Knock Knock*

Who is it?

Umm... Candygram.


Too the snarky comments. I believe paizo has a responsibility to it's customer base. If they choose to sell their product on any site they should make sure things are running smoothly. Having to wait till sept. 5th for dead suns 1 is just wrong and I will cancel from amazon and just buy the pdf. If you read my comment I wanted information as to when I could expect the product I ordered. Paizo as the parent company has enormous power as to when a product is released. As to the other snarky comment The core rule book I have on order from Amazon is $42.00 I ordered very early. So my savings is quite substantial when you add in free two shipping. The difference allowed me to order dead suns 1 $15.79. In the end if you can't be helpful then just don't respond. To the rest of you that were very helpful I say thank-you. I will be able to better plan for my players with the useful information that was provided.

Silver Crusade

12 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Companion, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber

Paizo _doesn't_ choose to sell on Amazon. Paizo sells stuff to their distributors. Amazon chooses to buy stuff from one of Paizo's distributors.


Pathfinder Lost Omens, Rulebook, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber

Amazon can be hard to figure out. I will say that they are on target with the non preferred store street date. I have gotten the 5th Edition books on that date or day before. I have found that when it says something like this book will be released 8-17-17 there is decent chance you may get it that date. For me in the past the Paizo stuff from Amazon came week or so after release date.

Dave2

Paizo Employee Chief Technical Officer

6 people marked this as a favorite.
gowen7thcav wrote:
Paizo as the parent company has enormous power as to when a product is released.

The sole power we have in that regard is an ability to set a release date, which is nothing more than a date before which customers should not be given access to the product. For all of our August releases, that's August 17.

We do our best to ensure that our US distributors receive product in time for their retailers to receive it prior to that release date, but we have zero control over anything in the chain after those shipments leave our warehouse. If a retailer doesn't have their ducks in a row to release on time, not only are we powerless to do anything about it, but we're usually not going to ever even know about it.


Thank you for clarifying, Vic.

Grand Lodge

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Adventure Path Charter Subscriber; Pathfinder Starfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
gowen7thcav wrote:
In the end if you can't be helpful then just don't respond.

If people did this, there would be almost no posts here. This place is about 95% snark and nonsense. You're new here. i hope it grows on you. People here are pretty cool.

Also, garryowen.

-Skeld


JetSetRadio wrote:
gowen7thcav wrote:

I pre-ordered all the starfinder products off Amazon. It's cheaper and I get free two day shipping. Of the thousands of dollars I have spent on pathfinder products via amazon, never have I encountered this message basically seventeen days out from release.

Not yet shipped
Delivery estimate: We need a little more time to provide you with a good estimate. We'll notify you via e-mail as soon as we have an estimated delivery date.

What did I just read!? I am seriously trying to comprehend this post.

Essentially: "I ordered off Amazon and they don't have a shipping date. So I write on the paizo message board asking about Amazon shipping details"?

I don't know bro... Maybe this will help?
http://paizo.com/paizo/about/contact

gowen7thcav wrote:


Someone at Paizo knows and if they don't they need to be on a phone to Amazon and finding out what is up. I ,like many people I know are frustrated at the lack of information forthcoming.
Or... You could just order it from Paizo? I mean you are saving $6!

I actually agree with most of this, but saving 6 dollars?!?!? I live in the US and I pre-ordered the Core Rule Book and Alien Archive off Amazon and saved $36!


Pathfinder Card Game, Maps, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Maps, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber

For me, Amazon is more expensive, even considering free shipping (I live in the US as well so international shipping isn't biting me).

Amazon has CRB at $48.59 and AA at $35.99 for me, total of just shy of $85. Add in the two PDFs which I'd want to get anyway and that's $105. Paizo has them for $59.99 and $39.99, less 15% is $85 (about $0.50 more expensive than Amazon for physical items), plus shipping. But, I get free PDFs so as long as shipping is less than $20ish (usually always the case for me), Paizo comes out cheaper via subscription.

I guess you got a better deal on the books in Amazon than I did :)


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber

I like Paizo as far as shipping goes.

More often than not my packages arrive a day early and they're always in great shape.


Pathfinder Lost Omens, Rulebook, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber

It looks like the Pre-Orders from Amazon should be shipping in time to get it on 17th. I got an email from them the other day and the arrival date is the 17th. This is the 3rd copy for me. I Got the first 2 from Paizo which already arrived.

Dave2


I got my copy of the CRB, weird it hasn't come for you yet...

Unless one considers that I got mine directly from Paizo, not Amazon.

Hmm... funny you bring this up. Very strange indeed.


Pathfinder Lost Omens, Rulebook, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber

Just quick update. It looks like if you pre order now your delivery date from Amazon is the 8-22-17. If you pre ordered early enough from Amazon it is the 17th like me. As I said above the 2 copies I got from Paizo subscription are at the house. So Amazon copy is 3rd copy. Thought about getting copy Gen Con, but 4 copies is too many at this point.

Dave2

Community / Forums / Starfinder / Starfinder General Discussion / Frustrated at Pre-order All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.