Catfolk cleanliness?


Pathfinder First Edition General Discussion


A few RP questions:

1) Do catfolk not take baths and showers? Interestingly leopards swim.

2) Instead or in addition, do they groom themselves (and perhaps each other in a more adult game)? Example of leopard grooming itself and leopards grooming each other.

3) Could a monster keep a catfolk at bay with a water pistol?

4) Or is there so much variation among catfolk that it's impossible to assert any general patterns of behavior?


Do humans take baths and showers in Golarion? Or is it more like medieval Europe?

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Companion, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber

They do have personal and communal bathing facilities likes baths and showers in Golarion yes.


Chui Nyeusi wrote:

A few RP questions:

1) Do catfolk not take baths and showers? Interestingly leopards swim.

2) Instead or in addition, do they groom themselves (and perhaps each other in a more adult game)? Example of leopard grooming itself and leopards grooming each other.

3) Could a monster keep a catfolk at bay with a water pistol?

4) Or is there so much variation among catfolk that it's impossible to assert any general patterns of behavior?

1) I imagine an intelligent adventuring catfolk would understand that some of the things you end up covered in are really not the kinds of things you want to wash away with your tongue. They probably would throw in the occasional bath now and then. The real kicker would be the summer months when they shed and end up clogging the pipes.

2) Actually, their grooming would probably match ours, just across more of the body. After all, monkeys and apes groom each other, and we have spas and barbershops. Catfolk grooming would be more full body, but whatever variation for single and shared grooming we have, they would have, too.

3) I imagine that would cause no more annoyance for them than it would for one of us.

4) There's another thread going on right now about people's tendencies to play human characters or avoid playing human characters. One poster described an unfortunate paradigm he thought himself caught in: that he could only play a stereotypical dwarf, play a dwarf railing against the stereotypes, or, by not acknowledging the issue, be perceived as playing a character that might as well be human and the only reason he didn't must have been for the racial stats.

How much variation catfolk culture has is an individual choice. If you don't think there is much variation, there won't be. If you think there is, then there will be. I treat my catfolk characters as varied as humans to the point that they're my goto race for anything, and I personally reject the notion that I might as well be playing human instead, that not acknowledging the stereotypes somehow negates the conceptual validity of picking catfolk versus human for the character.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Matthew Downie wrote:
Do humans take baths and showers in Golarion? Or is it more like medieval Europe?

Actually baths were common in medieval Europe, it's from the Renaissance era onward that they started fearing water


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber

Throws a ball of yarn and a bunch of catnip into the thread, runs away giggling uncontrollably.


Klorox wrote:
Matthew Downie wrote:
Do humans take baths and showers in Golarion? Or is it more like medieval Europe?
Actually baths were common in medieval Europe, it's from the Renaissance era onward that they started fearing water

Burn the water!!! Burn it now!!! Afore it cleans us all!!!!!!


either the fire will be doused or I'll have hot water for my bath


10 people marked this as a favorite.

*locks eyes with rest of tavern; slowly knocks mug of ale off table for no discernible reason*


Big cats don't avoid the water as a rule, they don't have as much to fear from loss of heat ya know. Even the Siberian tigers are known to wallow in glacial run-off. (Actually, the Siberian Tigers do it to cool down, they are scary efficient heat conservers.)

Not all housecats hate the water by the way, but I suspect how clumsy that huge, biped food provider is about the process might be a factor.

Now remember, the furries have not traded out their fur coats for sweat glands so will not have developed the same sweat-fed bacteria that we humans have, so that is not so much an issue. Curry Combs and Brushes will cover a lot of the job, since the furries have hands. Most filth won't soak to the skin, and can be brushed away. I rather expect tongue grooming has become a social, often intimate behavior. I also expect flavored shampoos and conditioners are a specialty thing.


The only big cats that seem more anti-water (and even then not compared to a house cat!) are lions and cheetahs....

So I guess it depends on your definition of catfolk....


Daw wrote:
I also expect flavored shampoos and conditioners are a specialty thing.

Chui is totally getting goat-flavored shampoo.


3 people marked this as a favorite.

*Rushes forth about to attack and pounce the room... then at the last moment turns aside and sits aloofly using his pawed hand to slightly adjust the fur pattern atop his head before lighly kneading the hilt of his katana glaring.*


Hilarious thread. I have a Catfolk named Bratton with the burglar archetype and definitely do the whole bathing/grooming thing, even as a swift action during combat.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Reminds me of what Quibblegrandaddy used to say: "Never dig for treasure in a sandy catfolk desert."


doc roc wrote:

The only big cats that seem more anti-water (and even then not compared to a house cat!) are lions and cheetahs....

So I guess it depends on your definition of catfolk....

There were marsh lions for a while, but a google search seems to be saying they all got poisoned and died. :(


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Tectorman wrote:
1) I imagine an intelligent adventuring catfolk would understand that some of the things you end up covered in are really not the kinds of things you want to wash away with your tongue. They probably would throw in the occasional bath now and then. The real kicker would be the summer months when they shed and end up clogging the pipes.

Obligatory reference


*volunteers to take third shift watch; horks in everyone's empty boots for no discernible reason*


4 people marked this as a favorite.

*Wakes up in one room at the inn. Suddenly runs out and into another room. Goes back to sleep.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Daw wrote:
Not all housecats hate the water by the way, but I suspect how clumsy that huge, biped food provider is about the process might be a factor.

I once had a housecat who liked to jump on my belly when I was in the bath and dabble her paws in the water. Very cute.

Community / Forums / Pathfinder / Pathfinder First Edition / General Discussion / Catfolk cleanliness? All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.