Netflix's Bright


Television

51 to 85 of 85 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | next > last >>

I enjoyed it. It was a fun movie.

Nitpicks:

It's not Shadowrun. Shadowrun is futuristic cyberpunk with fantasy elements. Bright is set in the modern day. It's urban fantasy.

They did a lot of worldbuilding, then had to gloss over so much of it that it became a string of cliches (Return of the Dark Lord, Chosen One, just about every buddy cop trope you can think of). It felt too rushed, especially with what Alzrius mentions about the Shield of Light. Feels like a mighty big part of the puzzle to not bring into play.

Apparently something like 11 million people have watched it already, according to Nielsen ratings. So it's obviously a success, no matter what the critics may think. They've announced a sequel, and Smith is on board. Honestly, I think they'd have been better off doing it as a six (seven, maybe eight) part miniseries. Better character development, better pacing, more time to introduce people to the world without having to cut corners on narrative.

Sovereign Court

Was allright, but totally predictable. I think they worked overtime on the orc racism, coulda been more subtle. Were there any women orcs in it? Language was a little excessive (not saying you shouldnt drop f bombs but lets not compete with super bad) I think it would have been improved without will smith being will smith and different casting (I understand this thing would be dead in the water without smith's starpower) Rapace looked fantastic as a bamf elf. Wouldnt see it on the big screen, but its cool with my ol lady's netflix sub.


Shadowborn wrote:

I enjoyed it. It was a fun movie.

Nitpicks:

It's not Shadowrun. Shadowrun is futuristic cyberpunk with fantasy elements. Bright is set in the modern day. It's urban fantasy.

They did a lot of worldbuilding, then had to gloss over so much of it that it became a string of cliches (Return of the Dark Lord, Chosen One, just about every buddy cop trope you can think of). It felt too rushed, especially with what Alzrius mentions about the Shield of Light. Feels like a mighty big part of the puzzle to not bring into play.

Apparently something like 11 million people have watched it already, according to Nielsen ratings. So it's obviously a success, no matter what the critics may think. They've announced a sequel, and Smith is on board. Honestly, I think they'd have been better off doing it as a six (seven, maybe eight) part miniseries. Better character development, better pacing, more time to introduce people to the world without having to cut corners on narrative.

i KNOW it isnt shadowrun, but we are coming damn close to that world. My biggest issue with the most recent shadowrun is that it tries to hard to be futuristic, and ends up becoming even more hack and slash than earlier versions- and thats saying a lot.


Shadowborn wrote:
Apparently something like 11 million people have watched it already, according to Nielsen ratings. So it's obviously a success, no matter what the critics may think.

Is that what constitutes success on Netflix? The main thing that matters is whether those people enjoyed it enough to justify maintaining their subscriptions. If the main response is "It was OK I guess," that doesn't really justify spending $100 million.

Dark Archive

1 person marked this as a favorite.

And not a huge surprise, but as of this morning Netflix has confirmed the Bright sequel. Guess they consider it enough of a success to move forward. Shrug.

Sovereign Court

I liked that they swore so much. I'm sick of clean movies with no swearing.


The pancake joke made me like this movie. Funniest thing all day!


Aberzombie wrote:
Shadow Kosh wrote:
Bjørn Røyrvik wrote:
Pretty much this, except i don't like Will Smith at all.
Haven't seen this yet, but from what I have seen of it and what I know about Will Smith, I assume Will Smith's character is Will Smith, fantasy world cop. Because all of Will Smith's characters are Will Smith, only with a different job.
It makes me realize that Will Smith is a lot like John Wayne (only less awesome). They were both popular for essentially playing themselves, over and over.

That's pretty common with most 'movie stars'. I find there to be a world of difference between a movie star and an actor. Actor's disappear into the role they play.... movie stars are paid the big bucks to be themselves on the big screen.

Sadly there are more Stars than Actors....


phantom1592 wrote:
Aberzombie wrote:
Shadow Kosh wrote:
Bjørn Røyrvik wrote:
Pretty much this, except i don't like Will Smith at all.
Haven't seen this yet, but from what I have seen of it and what I know about Will Smith, I assume Will Smith's character is Will Smith, fantasy world cop. Because all of Will Smith's characters are Will Smith, only with a different job.
It makes me realize that Will Smith is a lot like John Wayne (only less awesome). They were both popular for essentially playing themselves, over and over.

That's pretty common with most 'movie stars'. I find there to be a world of difference between a movie star and an actor. Actor's disappear into the role they play.... movie stars are paid the big bucks to be themselves on the big screen.

Sadly there are more Stars than Actors....

hardly sad.

Dark Archive

phantom1592 wrote:

That's pretty common with most 'movie stars'. I find there to be a world of difference between a movie star and an actor. Actor's disappear into the role they play.... movie stars are paid the big bucks to be themselves on the big screen.

Sadly there are more Stars than Actors....

By that definition, Hollywood also gives a lot more critical recognition to movie stars than actors. I find most of the Oscar auto-nominees to fall into the former category than the later. Hollywood really doesn't reward subtlety or understated performances.


Shadow Kosh wrote:
phantom1592 wrote:

That's pretty common with most 'movie stars'. I find there to be a world of difference between a movie star and an actor. Actor's disappear into the role they play.... movie stars are paid the big bucks to be themselves on the big screen.

Sadly there are more Stars than Actors....

By that definition, Hollywood also gives a lot more critical recognition to movie stars than actors. I find most of the Oscar auto-nominees to fall into the former category than the later. Hollywood really doesn't reward subtlety or understated performances.

considering the oscars are for movies, yes, lots of movie stars are going to end up nominated for them.

That said, lots of cronyism, pet projects and buddy f%**ing.

The Exchange

Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
Matthew Downie wrote:
Shadowborn wrote:
Apparently something like 11 million people have watched it already, according to Nielsen ratings. So it's obviously a success, no matter what the critics may think.
Is that what constitutes success on Netflix? The main thing that matters is whether those people enjoyed it enough to justify maintaining their subscriptions. If the main response is "It was OK I guess," that doesn't really justify spending $100 million.

I agree with your last sentence but I guess that it is hard to measure the success of Bright as far as subscriptions go. Didn't see the movie so far, though I plan to do so, but as far as my subscription goes, this film doesn't play any role at all (I'm mainly there for the series).


WormysQueue wrote:
Matthew Downie wrote:
Shadowborn wrote:
Apparently something like 11 million people have watched it already, according to Nielsen ratings. So it's obviously a success, no matter what the critics may think.
Is that what constitutes success on Netflix? The main thing that matters is whether those people enjoyed it enough to justify maintaining their subscriptions. If the main response is "It was OK I guess," that doesn't really justify spending $100 million.

I agree with your last sentence but I guess that it is hard to measure the success of Bright as far as subscriptions go. Didn't see the movie so far, though I plan to do so, but as far as my subscription goes, this film doesn't play any role at all (I'm mainly there for the series).

This is one of the things I dislike about Netflix. They're really on top of what people have watched... but not on what people LIKE. I keep getting all kinds of suggestions 'Because you watched XXXXXXX' when in reality I made it 20 minutes in and shut it off due to boredom or disgust.

They even took away the 5 star rating range and turned it to a simple Thumbs up/down...

Sovereign Court

Keep in mind Netflix has to appeal to a wide variety of tastes for its consumers. Bright may not have much appeal for you, but plenty of people have shown interest. The success of Bright is an overall good thing. Eventually, Netflix will launch a film series you do have interest in.


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber

My siblings all seemed to like it.

Scarab Sages

phantom1592 wrote:

This is one of the things I dislike about Netflix. They're really on top of what people have watched... but not on what people LIKE. I keep getting all kinds of suggestions 'Because you watched XXXXXXX' when in reality I made it 20 minutes in and shut it off due to boredom or disgust.

They even took away the 5 star rating range and turned it to a simple Thumbs up/down...

Yeah, I keep getting a lot of "Because you watched..." suggestions that really leave me scratching my head.


It has a lot of potential and looked kinda cool, but ultimately I was disappointed

The Exchange

Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
phantom1592 wrote:
I keep getting all kinds of suggestions 'Because you watched XXXXXXX' when in reality I made it 20 minutes in and shut it off due to boredom or disgust.

I don't have that problem but then I'm maybe too much of a casual viewer. There's a lot of things out there that got really bad critiques that I totally like as much as other things that got better reviews. On the other hand, there's an awful lot of shows that got good reviews that I still have to watch. Meaning that in the end, I'm glad about those recommendations because if I have to choose myself, I waste a lot of time searching. And as I'm easy to please, I like those recommendations well enough most of the time.

Liberty's Edge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber

I was not expecting much as I am not a fan of Will Smith. Strangely enough, I had fun watching the movie. I am hopeful for Cyberpunk / Shadowrun style movies / series in the future given Bright's success.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Vidmaster7 wrote:
I never understood that. people ok with seeing someone get shot or in this case skin and organs burned off leaving behind a skeleton but not ok with hearing a few "bad" words.

I was with you 100% until I had kids. Toddler Gersen is unlikely to try and burn anyone's skin off (unless they really annoyed her, I guess), but she will very eagerly repeat every word she hears on TV as often as possible.

The Exchange

Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
Kirth Gersen wrote:
I was with you 100% until I had kids. Toddler Gersen is unlikely to try and burn anyone's skin off (unless they really annoyed her, I guess), but she will very eagerly repeat every word she hears on TV as often as possible.

Heh, yeah, same with my three. Though I have to say that, as we were relatively strict about what they were allowed to watch (depending on age), most of the swear words they learned they picked up in kindergarten.

Sovereign Court

Man stuff I watched as a kid...The only genre of movies my parents didn't let me watch as a kid was horror. Everything else was fair game.


Feed the nerd.

As soon as we knew what a 'Bright' was, everyone knew that Will Smith was going to be one.

Still I found it to be entertaining.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

I mean is a kid repeating a cuss word really that bad? Its a word. as opposed to watching someone get their still beating heart ripped out or brains shot out. Seeing one cop shoot a bunch of sure corrupt but still in uniform police officers. I feel like cuss words are the least thing to worry about. I remember back in my retail days a parent returning some video game because it had to much cussing and they didn't want their 8 year old playing it and they got mortal combat instead. That just seems like a wrong placing of priorities. heaven forbid someone say a word but its OK to see someones spine get ripped out in detail.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Vidmaster7 wrote:
I mean is a kid repeating a cuss word really that bad? Its a word. as opposed to watching someone get their still beating heart ripped out or brains shot out. Seeing one cop shoot a bunch of sure corrupt but still in uniform police officers. I feel like cuss words are the least thing to worry about. I remember back in my retail days a parent returning some video game because it had to much cussing and they didn't want their 8 year old playing it and they got mortal combat instead. That just seems like a wrong placing of priorities. heaven forbid someone say a word but its OK to see someones spine get ripped out in detail.

Bright is a movie that is not suitable for children. If you let your kids watch it, you're a bad parent. Because of the violence. As far as words go, your kids just need to understand that certain words will offend certain people.

My mom doesn't like it when I use foul language, so I try not to use it when I'm around her. If you can get your kids to grasp that principle, then it doesn't matter what words they know. They know when it's appropriate to use them, and when not.

Sovereign Court

Ok, I would be a bad parent.


How old is your kids Hama?


7 people marked this as a favorite.

As usual in America, violence is okay, sex and cursing are not. Especially with respect to youth.

Sovereign Court

1 person marked this as a favorite.

Language like violence and sex can be overstated. Its not that cuss words were used in Bright making it bad, its just the frequency which felt to be too much. There is a point it feels natural and a point it feels forced. If I had to point to the weakest points of Bright i'd sum them up as much.

Why I think Bright is unsuitable for children is not language as much as the overt racism. Without context that is a tough story for a child to unpack. I'd certainly watch this with my child and discuss those elements as a teaching moment. Though i'm guessing some folks use Netflix as a virtual babysitter, so its probably a bad idea for them. YMMV

Sovereign Court

Don't have one. Probably won't have one, but I would let it watch this thing.


Aberzombie wrote:


Yeah, I keep getting a lot of "Because you watched..." suggestions that really leave me scratching my head.

I think the best one has to be getting Pete's dragon come up because Ironfist has a line about pete's dragon..


The swearing IMHO was the least of the problems, and I can't say I noticed it in a distracting way. It's not like this is a tarantino monologue or something.


What? having iron fist mention pete's dragon didn't make you want to go watch pete's dragon afterwards? Of course I watched the original not the new one.


Vidmaster7 wrote:
What? having iron fist mention pete's dragon didn't make you want to go watch pete's dragon afterwards? Of course I watched the original not the new one.

Whys that an or question...

I made it a marathon

Dark Archive

phantom1592 wrote:
They even took away the 5 star rating range and turned it to a simple Thumbs up/down...

Which could be more useful to how you want it to work. Don't think of the thumbs up = "I like it" and thumbs down = "I don't like it" necessarily. Thumbs up = "I want to see more like this". Thumbs up = "I DON'T want to see more like this". Problem solved.

51 to 85 of 85 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Gamer Life / Entertainment / Television / Netflix's Bright All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.
Recent threads in Television