Marvel's New Warriors


Television

Sovereign Court

1 person marked this as a favorite.

Squirrel girl is cast apparently

I have no idea who the actress is but she's really cute. Also quite attractive.

How good are her acting chops?


She was in ads for one of the mobile companies.

Also I still reserve the right to call on Anna Kendrick!


She has good comic timing. She used to have a youtube channel.


Freehold is excited for this take on his favorite Marvel superhero team.


Which new warriors are we getting with this one? do we know yet?

Scarab Sages

Paizo Superscriber; Pathfinder Companion, Pathfinder Accessories Subscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber

Here is the cast for New Warriors.


Not my favorite lineup. I do not care for squirrel girl, although i do not hate her outright. Here's hoping it is a team show and not the squirrel girl hour with her wacky companions.


Aw! But I LOVE Squirrel Girl!!! I mean yeah the New Warriors are a more serious team usually...but Squirrel Girl is awesome!

Silver Crusade

3 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure, Adventure Path, Companion, Lost Omens, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber
Freehold DM wrote:
Not my favorite lineup. I do not care for squirrel girl, although i do not hate her outright. Here's hoping it is a team show and not the squirrel girl hour with her wacky companions.

*removes Freehold from the naughty Christmas card list*


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Rysky,

Add me! I love Squirrel Girl! ;)

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Adventure, Adventure Path, Companion, Lost Omens, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber

Okies!


Wait.. naughty Christmas card list as in receiving naughty Christmas cards or receiving a lump of coal?

Paizo Employee Developer

5 people marked this as a favorite.

I'm excited to get Squirrel Girl in the MCU (these Freeform shows are confirmed to be in the same universe as the rest of the Marvel Television Studios shows, right?) but I'm worried she's going to overshadow the more popular characters from the movies. I mean, she single-handedly took on Galactus, so if she's not the front-line fighter in Infinity War, then they will have officially thrown continuity and power balance out the window.

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Adventure, Adventure Path, Companion, Lost Omens, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber
Freehold DM wrote:
Wait.. naughty Christmas card list as in receiving naughty Christmas cards or receiving a lump of coal?

It was the former, now it's the latter.

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Adventure, Adventure Path, Companion, Lost Omens, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber
Mark Moreland wrote:
I'm excited to get Squirrel Girl in the MCU (these Freeform shows are confirmed to be in the same universe as the rest of the Marvel Television Studios shows, right?) but I'm worried she's going to overshadow the more popular characters from the movies. I mean, she single-handedly took on Galactus, so if she's not the front-line fighter in Infinity War, then they will have officially thrown continuity and power balance out the window.

This one might not be connected to the rest of the MCU, seeing as how it's Animated.

Scarab Sages

Rysky wrote:
Mark Moreland wrote:
I'm excited to get Squirrel Girl in the MCU (these Freeform shows are confirmed to be in the same universe as the rest of the Marvel Television Studios shows, right?) but I'm worried she's going to overshadow the more popular characters from the movies. I mean, she single-handedly took on Galactus, so if she's not the front-line fighter in Infinity War, then they will have officially thrown continuity and power balance out the window.
This one might not be connected to the rest of the MCU, seeing as how it's Animated.

Most sources I had read about this in announced it as Marvels first live superhero comedy...

Oh and...Yay Squirrel Girl! Yay TippieToe!

Scarab Sages

Paizo Superscriber; Pathfinder Companion, Pathfinder Accessories Subscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber

This thread ate my post! :(

As I said earlier, and confirmed by feytharn, New Warriors is live action.

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Adventure, Adventure Path, Companion, Lost Omens, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber

Oh really? Cool.


Yes Rysky, this is live action AND probably connects to MCU.

Also I doubt that Squirrel Girl will get to fight Galactus unless they do a hard reboot because Fox gives up on the Fantastic Four characters.

(I KNOW they won't give up on the Mutants.)

Silver Crusade

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure, Adventure Path, Companion, Lost Omens, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber

*nods*

Feige had to fight like hell to Spiderman back to Marvel.


The last time I ever read New Warriors was back when Night Thrasher was brand new, circa 1989-1990. I don't know anything about Squirrel Girl or that team.

The writers on S.H.I.E.L.D. have added good moments of comedy. Granted they won't be writing THIS show, but I know the possibility exists. I REALLY hope it doesn't end up being like Powerless though. That show was just...disappointing on many levels.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

I have to admit I'm a bit leery of Squirrel Girl with the New Warriors. Like Mark, I haven't read them since the early 90s, but I never thought of them as a comedy/joke team.
Not at all sure how they'll work together.

Scarab Sages

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Paizo Superscriber; Pathfinder Companion, Pathfinder Accessories Subscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber

From Wikipedia:
"The original New Warriors was Firestar, Marvel Boy, Namorita, Nova and Speedball and added in the newly created Night Thrasher to form a team of young super heroes known as "The New Warriors". Over time the team is joined by Silhouette, Rage, Hindsight Lad, Bandit, Timeslip, Dagger, Darkhawk, Powerpax, Turbo and the Scarlet Spider.

The second volume of New Warriors was published in 1999-2000 and ran for 11 issues before being cancelled. This team consisted of Namorita, Nova, Speedball and Turbo, joined by new members Bolt and Aegis.

The third volume of the New Warriors was a six-issue mini series that sees the super hero team cast as the stars of their own reality TV show, Night Thrasher, Nova and Speedball were joined by Microbe and Debrii. The New Warriors are at the center of a televised fight against a number of super villains in Stamford, Connecticut where Nitro explodes, killing 612 people including several members of the New Warriors. The incident was one of the sparks that led to Marvel's Civil War crossover in 2006 and 2007

The fourth New Warriors series saw Night Thrasher gather a group of former mutants and replacing their lost super powers with technology. The comic book was published from 2007 to 2009 and lasted for 20 issues in total. During the story it is revealed that Night Thrasher is the original Night Thrasher's brother, formerly known as Bandit, who wants to travel back in time and change the events at Stamford that killed his brother. When they try to travel back in time the team ends up in a dystopic future where the original Night Thrasher is a ruthless dictator. When the New Warriors returned to their own time they disbanded.

The fifth New Warriors series was launched as part of the All-New Marvel NOW! initiative in 2014. The book lasted for 12 issues before being cancelled. The story saw original New Warriors members Justice (formerly Marvel Boy), Speedball, and Silhouette return to team up with the new Nova, Scarlet Spider, Hummingbird, Sun Girl, Haechi and Water Snake."

Squirrel Girl and Immortal Man were never New Warriors. They were part of the Great Lakes Avengers.
Microbe and Debrii were created just so they could start the first Civil War. One lived, the other didn't.


Sounds about right. The Great Lakes Avengers were basically a joke team, IIRC.

Seems like a pretty serious clash to throw them together. Speedball could kind of fit, since he was often played as a joker.


thejeff wrote:

I have to admit I'm a bit leery of Squirrel Girl with the New Warriors. Like Mark, I haven't read them since the early 90s, but I never thought of them as a comedy/joke team.

Not at all sure how they'll work together.

I too, am worried.

I will always love my c- list avengers, especially when they went into the most important legal moment in comic book history.

Sovereign Court

Mark Hoover 330 wrote:

The last time I ever read New Warriors was back when Night Thrasher was brand new, circa 1989-1990. I don't know anything about Squirrel Girl or that team.

The writers on S.H.I.E.L.D. have added good moments of comedy. Granted they won't be writing THIS show, but I know the possibility exists. I REALLY hope it doesn't end up being like Powerless though. That show was just...disappointing on many levels.

It actually aired?

Scarab Sages

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Paizo Superscriber; Pathfinder Companion, Pathfinder Accessories Subscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber
thejeff wrote:
Speedball could kind of fit, since he was often played as a joker.

Until he survived Nitro, then he lost his sense of humor.


Charles Scholz wrote:
thejeff wrote:
Speedball could kind of fit, since he was often played as a joker.

Until he survived Nitro, then he lost his sense of humor.

one of my favorite characters.

Loved him in avengers academy.

Dark Archive

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

Speedball got it back, IIRC. Sure, he became Penance for awhile, but he had a sit down with another hero, and pulled him out of his funk.

That hero? Doreen Green. Squirrel Girl's superpower isn't that she can talk to squirrels, or has the proportional strength of one, or even that she's somehow defeated Iron Man, Dr. Doom, Thanos, Galactus, and probably any other Marvel heavy hitter I could care to name. Her superpower is her boundless optimism, and her belief that heroes should be heroic.


Misroi wrote:

Speedball got it back, IIRC. Sure, he became Penance for awhile, but he had a sit down with another hero, and pulled him out of his funk.

That hero? Doreen Green. Squirrel Girl's superpower isn't that she can talk to squirrels, or has the proportional strength of one, or even that she's somehow defeated Iron Man, Dr. Doom, Thanos, Galactus, and probably any other Marvel heavy hitter I could care to name. Her superpower is her boundless optimism, and her belief that heroes should be heroic.

yeah, I'm sure the long sessions with doc Samson had nothing to do with that...

It's pollyanna nonsense like that that makes me dislike squirrel girl.

Scarab Sages

Paizo Superscriber; Pathfinder Companion, Pathfinder Accessories Subscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber
Freehold DM wrote:
Misroi wrote:

Speedball got it back, IIRC. Sure, he became Penance for awhile, but he had a sit down with another hero, and pulled him out of his funk.

That hero? Doreen Green. Squirrel Girl's superpower isn't that she can talk to squirrels, or has the proportional strength of one, or even that she's somehow defeated Iron Man, Dr. Doom, Thanos, Galactus, and probably any other Marvel heavy hitter I could care to name. Her superpower is her boundless optimism, and her belief that heroes should be heroic.

yeah, I'm sure the long sessions with doc Samson had nothing to do with that...

It's pollyanna nonsense like that that makes me dislike squirrel girl.

That's why she is undefeated. Almost no one wants to make her unhappy, so they just go along with what she wants.

She also doesn't like to lose, so she just keeps going after an opponent until she stops them or they just give up out of annoyance.

I hope they base Doreen on the way she was before she got her own series.
While I like the comic, it just seems a little too silly sometimes.


Charles Scholz wrote:
Freehold DM wrote:
Misroi wrote:

Speedball got it back, IIRC. Sure, he became Penance for awhile, but he had a sit down with another hero, and pulled him out of his funk.

That hero? Doreen Green. Squirrel Girl's superpower isn't that she can talk to squirrels, or has the proportional strength of one, or even that she's somehow defeated Iron Man, Dr. Doom, Thanos, Galactus, and probably any other Marvel heavy hitter I could care to name. Her superpower is her boundless optimism, and her belief that heroes should be heroic.

yeah, I'm sure the long sessions with doc Samson had nothing to do with that...

It's pollyanna nonsense like that that makes me dislike squirrel girl.

That's why she is undefeated. Almost no one wants to make her unhappy, so they just go along with what she wants.

She also doesn't like to lose, so she just keeps going after an opponent until she stops them or they just give up out of annoyance.

I hope they base Doreen on the way she was before she got her own series.
While I like the comic, it just seems a little too silly sometimes.

she is a nonsensical character, beloved by fans of absurdist comedy against the usually serious serious marvel background. To ned she's right up there with deadpool, but i don't hate her. I loved her as Luke cage's/ Jessica Jones's babysitter, actually.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Freehold,

She did a great job since Danielle Cage grows up to be Captain America... :)

But I love her mostly because she's got a positive attitude and yes punches above her weight class consistently.

Sovereign Court

I can't stand always upbeat and optimistic people.


Hama,

I can stand it in fictional people...

Community / Forums / Gamer Life / Entertainment / Television / Marvel's New Warriors All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.
Recent threads in Television