Need Technomancer info soon!


General Discussion


After reading the computers post I am really excited for the Technomancer. What do you think some of the abilities and spells might be? Bricking computers, weapons, armor and maybe even Ships? Maybe the can make equipment explode? Buff or rebuff item.

What do you guys think?


1 person marked this as a favorite.

I think I will wait for the blogpost


Seisho wrote:
I think there will be a spell that lets you fast travel through the web.

Woah, I never thought about that. That would be pretty cool.


I will wait for blog post to but no harm from theory crafting. So what i want from technomancer class basicly good port of shadowrun one


1 person marked this as a favorite.

I'm hoping that at some point, in some way, they learn a way to hack realitiy. Nothing huge mind you... but say.. slightly harder atmoshpere making a small shield for one round. "holding" the air in when jetisoned to space briefly. sorta thing.


Pathfinder Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber

If I remember correctly, in one of the preview streams, a technomancer was able to "overcharge" a weapon (a small arm, IIRC) and effectively transform it into a grenade that someone held on to for later. I vaguely remember that there are some other things overcharge can do, but I'm not super-sure about that.


3 people marked this as a favorite.
Jimbles the Mediocre wrote:
If I remember correctly, in one of the preview streams, a technomancer was able to "overcharge" a weapon (a small arm, IIRC) and effectively transform it into a grenade that someone held on to for later. I vaguely remember that there are some other things overcharge can do, but I'm not super-sure about that.

The grenade-frome-extra-gun trick is actually a Mechanic trick. They can apparently throw them at people, or set them up as proximity/trip wire explosives. The Technomancer in that group was playing really boringly, and never did anything besides pew-pew magic missiles each round, but Technomancers can overcharge guns, making them do extra damage for a round. I've heard from people who did get to sit down with the class, that sometimes they'd just stand behind a corner and keep tapping the Soldier to turn them into an engine of death.

It's good to see that, even thousands of years in the future, the Caster is still standing behind his loyal BSF.


I hope that you can use the technomancer to make a scholarly mage.


Zwordsman wrote:
I'm hoping that at some point, in some way, they learn a way to hack realitiy...

Sounds right to me. From the Technomancer section of the "Collected Information" doc:

Variel wrote:
Space Wizard, combines tech and magics, study magic as if it was code, figure out the laws of the universe and how to break them, hacker-wizard. The technomancer is all about synergizing technology and magic, and kind of acting like a computer programmer who’s hacking the laws of the universe. They're very logical and very regimented and scientific. They dealing with magic, and often magic that can affect technology and work within those systems. Technomancers appear to have access to “spell hacks” which seem to affect the way magic works.

So. Stoked.

Scarab Sages Developer, Starfinder Team

4 people marked this as a favorite.

I look forward to you all reading the technomancer preview...


Will it come soon?


Not yet. Looks like we're looking at the Solarian next.


Ventnor wrote:
Not yet. Looks like we're looking at the Solarian next.

YES!!!

obviously this is one i'm waiting on :D


Owen K. C. Stephens wrote:
I look forward to you all reading the technomancer preview...

Hype intensifies.


Well given we are about 6 weeks out from gencon one way or the other the wait is not going to be that much longer now to get some technomancer info.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
IonutRO wrote:
Owen K. C. Stephens wrote:
I look forward to you all reading the technomancer preview...
Hype intensifies.

They are probably saving the best for last. I am definitely going to be the player that shouts "Hack the Planet" every session. I have also been playing the necromancer in diablo and I am loving the corpse explosion. If you can make someone's weapon or armor explode that would be awesome.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

Maybe fatal error and blue screen of death as spells :D


TheGoofyGE3K wrote:
Maybe fatal error and blue screen of death as spells :D

Would a counterspell be an Error 404?


Remy P Gilbeau wrote:
Jimbles the Mediocre wrote:
If I remember correctly, in one of the preview streams, a technomancer was able to "overcharge" a weapon (a small arm, IIRC) and effectively transform it into a grenade that someone held on to for later. I vaguely remember that there are some other things overcharge can do, but I'm not super-sure about that.

The grenade-frome-extra-gun trick is actually a Mechanic trick. They can apparently throw them at people, or set them up as proximity/trip wire explosives. The Technomancer in that group was playing really boringly, and never did anything besides pew-pew magic missiles each round, but Technomancers can overcharge guns, making them do extra damage for a round. I've heard from people who did get to sit down with the class, that sometimes they'd just stand behind a corner and keep tapping the Soldier to turn them into an engine of death.

It's good to see that, even thousands of years in the future, the Caster is still standing behind his loyal BSF.

I really do wanna find these previews..

I really would love to sit and listen to a game while I cleaned and got ready for my country move.

Liberty's Edge

JetSetRadio wrote:
I am definitely going to be the player that shouts "Hack the Planet" every session.

Given the possibility of truly massive technological devices, it's entirely possible that you could literally hack a planet.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

My technomancer in a currently ongoing homebrew game looks forward to seeing what the Starfinder technomancer is like.

I'm hoping it can do the following:

* Operate technology telepathically.
* Charm/dominate machines and robots.
* Polymorph machines into related devices (in my game I turned a portable reactor into a plasma cannon in a desperate moment).
* Merge with technology similar to earth meld (like Tetsuo's attack on the aircraft carrier in the Akira Manga).
* Teleport via conduction and at a higher level, teleport via transmissions.
* Magically absorb devices into their bodies as cybernetics.
* I was hoping for robot familiar, but that seems to be more of a mechanic thing.


It feels appropriate to necropost here today.
Will we finally see the technomancer now?


Pathfinder Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber

I hate to say it, but I have a funny feeling that the technomancer class isn't gonna be all that people are hoping for and there are going to e some very disappointed and angry people in the comments of that post.

Scarab Sages

I'm guessing we'll get the Tecnomancer meet the iconic before the class preview.


Luke Spencer wrote:
I hate to say it, but I have a funny feeling that the technomancer class isn't gonna be all that people are hoping for and there are going to e some very disappointed and angry people in the comments of that post.

Will it involve robots? I hope it involves robots.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber

I just get the feeling that a lot of people are so used to the abundance of content for Pathfinder that they're gonna feel like Starfinder is gonna be sparse in terms of content on release, I imagine in like a year or so a lot of the stuff people want will exist but I just don't see how a lot of it is gonna fit into the CRB. I just sense that a lot of people are gonna be mad because what they wanted from the class either isn't what the class is or isn't in the game yet due to lack of space in the CRB. But yes, I also kind of hope for robots (though to be honest technomancer isn't very high on my list of classes to try out.)


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber

I would assume the Technomancer iconic and class preview will come next week, and we'll get a couple blog posts about game mechanics this week. I would love to be wrong, but hey.

Luke Spencer wrote:
I hate to say it, but I have a funny feeling that the technomancer class isn't gonna be all that people are hoping for and there are going to be some very disappointed and angry people in the comments of that post.

Has there been a class preview yet that didn't rile someone? I am decently hyped for the Technomancer - I think the order of the class previews was somewhat deliberate - the envoy came first (generally considered the least exciting, I think) and the last three are mechanic, solarian, and technomancer, which I believe are the three classes that people are most excited for.

Luke Spencer wrote:
I just get the feeling that a lot of people are so used to the abundance of content for Pathfinder that they're gonna feel like Starfinder is gonna be sparse in terms of content on release, I imagine in like a year or so a lot of the stuff people want will exist but I just don't see how a lot of it is gonna fit into the CRB. I just sense that a lot of people are gonna be mad because what they wanted from the class either isn't what the class is or isn't in the game yet due to lack of space in the CRB.

100% with you there, I've already seen this attitude in the forums and we don't even have the CRB.

On a related note, however, the classes we've seen previewed thus far have excellent modularity - I feel that the core framework will allow for a better content/page ratio in future published material. Starfinder might develop content at a similar rate to Pathfinder, even with a slower release schedule.


Jimbles the Mediocre wrote:


Has there been a class preview yet that didn't rile someone?

As far as I recall, the reception of Soldier and Operative was near-spotless.


Pathfinder Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber

Yeah I haven't had any problems with any of the info we've been given so far, though to be honest I'm more excited for this game as a GM than a player because I love sci-fi stuff. I just can't help but notice every class related thread has people asking for dozens of different ways to build the class completely differently and it just feels so unrealistic that they'll all fit into one 500 page book which also has to talk about all of the game's mechanics and setting. I think Starfinder will be good on launch and it'll do pretty well but it'll probably take time for more options to be released before we really start to see it getting more widespread play like Pathfinder currently has, PF players are just so spoiled by choice at this point.

Liberty's Edge

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion, Lost Omens, Pawns, Rulebook Subscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber
Mashallah wrote:
Jimbles the Mediocre wrote:


Has there been a class preview yet that didn't rile someone?
As far as I recall, the reception of Soldier and Operative was near-spotless.

Both of those were clear upgrades over Pathfinder equivalents that are widely reviled. An update for a Tier 1 class (that will incontrovertibly be weaker than Tier 1, on account of being a 6-level caster) is almost certainly going to anger people far more than boosting Tier 5 and 6 classes...


Mashallah wrote:
Jimbles the Mediocre wrote:


Has there been a class preview yet that didn't rile someone?
As far as I recall, the reception of Soldier and Operative was near-spotless.

I dont remember much angst from the mechanic either. But the technomancer is less defined by pre-existing comparisons and has a lot of hopes riding on it (basically all of the arcane caster heritage seems to be piled onto it) so it seems vastly more likely to disappoint than the other classes which much better fill their Space-Noun blurbs; Soldiers are Space-Martials but better, Operatives are Space-Rogues but better, Mechanics are Space-Pet Class but better! Mystics are Space-Clerics but better! Technomancers are... not Sorcerers but kind of are, not really gunslingers either but they are sort of skill monkeys... if you squint? Space-Gish might be the closest comparison but even that feels way off from what they are trying to do with them.

Scarab Sages

I remember there being grumbles about the viability of the iron man optikn for wearing your companion as armor or a backpack for the mechanic.


Imbicatus wrote:
I remember there being grumbles about the viability of the iron man optikn for wearing your companion as armor or a backpack for the mechanic.

Oh yeah, the idea that you are giving up a lot of utility in the drone for a single benefit when worn? i think i remember some concern about that one, fair enough.


Luke Spencer wrote:


I just get the feeling that a lot of people are so used to the abundance of content for Pathfinder that they're gonna feel like Starfinder is gonna be sparse in terms of content on release, I imagine in like a year or so a lot of the stuff people want will exist but I just don't see how a lot of it is gonna fit into the CRB. I just sense that a lot of people are gonna be mad because what they wanted from the class either isn't what the class is or isn't in the game yet due to lack of space in the CRB. But yes, I also kind of hope for robots (though to be honest technomancer isn't very high on my list of classes to try out.)

Wow, I remember when 3.5 was released (I was 17!) and the class you picked was the one you played. The extra content is really overwhelming at times. I for one welcome the core book and having just that for a while. Plus you can convert Pathfinder if you really want more.

500+ pages for a new game should keep happy for months.


I wan't to see them like the technomancers from "Babaylon 5", I just loved that concept. Mortals from different races part of an order that use cybernetics and advanced technology "magic" that puts them beyond there individual races, but not to the level of the first ones "Gods".
They are feared and not messed with, because everyone needs tech to survive space, and you don't piss off the guy who can slag your space station with a thought.


After playing a ton of Zelda Breath of the Wild I can't help but wonder if the way the rune system works there will be at all related to how a technomancer works


Pathfinder Companion, Maps, Pathfinder Accessories Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber
TheGoofyGE3K wrote:
After playing a ton of Zelda Breath of the Wild I can't help but wonder if the way the rune system works there will be at all related to how a technomancer works

As someone who played a 5th level Technomancer at PaizoCon this year, I could potentially answer that question, but I have never played Zelda Breath of the Wild, so I don't know how they compare.


Starfinder Charter Superscriber
Zwordsman wrote:
Remy P Gilbeau wrote:
Jimbles the Mediocre wrote:
If I remember correctly, in one of the preview streams, a technomancer was able to "overcharge" a weapon (a small arm, IIRC) and effectively transform it into a grenade that someone held on to for later. I vaguely remember that there are some other things overcharge can do, but I'm not super-sure about that.

The grenade-frome-extra-gun trick is actually a Mechanic trick. They can apparently throw them at people, or set them up as proximity/trip wire explosives. The Technomancer in that group was playing really boringly, and never did anything besides pew-pew magic missiles each round, but Technomancers can overcharge guns, making them do extra damage for a round. I've heard from people who did get to sit down with the class, that sometimes they'd just stand behind a corner and keep tapping the Soldier to turn them into an engine of death.

It's good to see that, even thousands of years in the future, the Caster is still standing behind his loyal BSF.

I really do wanna find these previews..

I really would love to sit and listen to a game while I cleaned and got ready for my country move.

Starfinder Premier Event


Ashanderai wrote:
TheGoofyGE3K wrote:
After playing a ton of Zelda Breath of the Wild I can't help but wonder if the way the rune system works there will be at all related to how a technomancer works
As someone who played a 5th level Technomancer at PaizoCon this year, I could potentially answer that question, but I have never played Zelda Breath of the Wild, so I don't know how they compare.

Basically, you started with 4 abilities usable at will with a cooldown. You later can get a 5th and uprgades to two of the four.


I think it very unlikely that the Technomancer will use cooldowns.

I suspect it will be functionally similar to a sorcerer, but with a high emphasis on metamagic - AKA spell hacks. The lack of higher level spells made up for by the ability to modify and boost the effects of the first six levels.


Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber; Pathfinder Companion, Maps, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Maps, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber

They may also have a class ability that gives them access to higher level spells, but with the nature of that ability requiring the existence of a lot fewer spells of levels 7-9 than of levels 0-6.


5th edition warlock does that.


So... no technomancer class preview today?


Pathfinder Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Archmage Variel wrote:
So... no technomancer class preview today?

Today's not over yet (heck, it's not even end-of-business on the West Coast). I'm gonna continue to pop back every hour on the hour as best I can until it shows up.

It could show up late tonight or even tomorrow - there's not really been an established pattern with blog posts and previews, even though we all prefer to pretend otherwise.


There's been a vague pattern. I forget what class, but one of the blogs came out late-ish Saturday, right? I think that was the week Wes left though.

Either way, it's likely coming eventually. And soon. I just can't wait is the problem. Much to my own insistence otherwise.


I have been refreshing the blog page every 5 minutes since 5pm CST, just waiting... I need my previews.


Well from what I've noticed, it's almost always on the hour or half hour exactly, execut for the one time where it was like 6:45. Or similar. So since 7:30 est hadn't done it, the best time to check is in half an hour or so


3 people marked this as a favorite.

It's heeeeeere.

Community / Forums / Starfinder / Starfinder General Discussion / Need Technomancer info soon! All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.