GM Shirt Re-roll?


Pathfinder Society

51 to 61 of 61 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | next > last >>
The Exchange 5/5

I've not been following this thread all that well, but am I understanding that standard rerolls are to be denied on nat "1" rolls? Because I have not been doing this (but then I seem to get a lot of things wrong...)

Grand Lodge 5/5 Venture-Captain, Arizona—Phoenix aka TriOmegaZero

Use your best judgement.

The Exchange 5/5

Steven Schopmeyer wrote:
Use your best judgement.

LOL! that will never work. My best judgment ... often differs from the rules and what other people expect. I gave up using "best judgment" when I started playing Organized Play...

after all, I'm the guy who suggested we have a "Shower Re-roll"

How about a "Shower re-roll" -
I'm tempted to tell players at my table on the 3rd and 4th day of a Con that I'll let them take a re-roll if they have had a shower (and put on clean clothing!) in the last 6 hours.

I'm sure someone will object that it's against the rules... but hay! it's a good idea. Oh! and maybe had a breath mint too.

Scarab Sages 5/5

nosig wrote:
Steven Schopmeyer wrote:
Use your best judgement.

LOL! that will never work. My best judgment ... often differs from the rules and what other people expect. I gave up using "best judgment" when I started playing Organized Play...

after all, I'm the guy who suggested we have a "Shower Re-roll"

How about a "Shower re-roll" -
I'm tempted to tell players at my table on the 3rd and 4th day of a Con that I'll let them take a re-roll if they have had a shower (and put on clean clothing!) in the last 6 hours.

I'm sure someone will object that it's against the rules... but hay! it's a good idea. Oh! and maybe had a breath mint too.

I'd err on the side of the players.

I think consensus is that you can reroll a "1" as long as the GM hasn't announced the result.

Scarab Sages 5/5

Bob Jonquet wrote:
Michael Eshleman wrote:
John Compton posted that they are explicitly allowed on natural 1s (it was on Facebook...

Actually what he said was...

John Compton wrote:
I always consider a natural 1 fair territory for using a "shirt reroll."

He merely expressed how he does it. That is a far cry from an official ruling and considering the comment was made on Facebook means even if he did say what you claimed, it would not be binding until it appeared in an official location.

Not that I am advocating rerolls be denied on nat "1," just saying there is no rule for/against it

That's fairly disingenuous.

Sovereign Court 4/5 Venture-Lieutenant, Netherlands—Leiden aka Ascalaphus

nosig wrote:
I've not been following this thread all that well, but am I understanding that standard rerolls are to be denied on nat "1" rolls? Because I have not been doing this (but then I seem to get a lot of things wrong...)

The wide majority appears to allow rerolling on a '1'.

The Exchange 5/5

Lau Bannenberg wrote:
nosig wrote:
I've not been following this thread all that well, but am I understanding that standard rerolls are to be denied on nat "1" rolls? Because I have not been doing this (but then I seem to get a lot of things wrong...)
The wide majority appears to allow rerolling on a '1'.

thanks! (...but are they "correct"?)

Scarab Sages 5/5

1 person marked this as a favorite.
nosig wrote:
Lau Bannenberg wrote:
nosig wrote:
I've not been following this thread all that well, but am I understanding that standard rerolls are to be denied on nat "1" rolls? Because I have not been doing this (but then I seem to get a lot of things wrong...)
The wide majority appears to allow rerolling on a '1'.
thanks! (...but are they "correct"?)

I think so. The fact that John Compton allows it (even if it isn't technically an official statement, being on Facebook) lends me to believe that is certainly the intent of the rule.

Grand Lodge 5/5 ⦵⦵⦵ Venture-Captain, Online—PbP aka Hmm

7 people marked this as a favorite.

When John Compton states on Facebook that a Natural 1 is fair territory for a reroll, I count that as an authoritative source and ruling.

As for the Campaign Coin question, the campaign coin allows rerolls to be given away with GM stars. I do not have a campaign coin -- I am far too new to have earned one, and I haven't done anything big for the society as a whole -- but I do feel that offering my shirt to the table is the same thing as handing a folio over. They now have borrowed my reroll, but without the stars that I would have as a four star GM.

I usually tell the table that there is one reroll available from my shirt. They have to agree who gets it. I generally only give that shirt reroll to someone new.

Rerolls on GM rolls appears to be murky, and a matter of regional variation. I don't believe that GMs should ever be "forced" to reroll except in cases of weird class abilities like the dual-cursed oracle. I would love for GMs campaign-wide to be able to use their own reroll on the player's behalf to try to get rid of dangerous crits. Some believe they can already. Others do not.

_____

I feel a rant coming on, and since I rant so seldom, I hope that you all will forgive me for doing this.

HILARY'S RANT

The thing that turns people off most about PFS Play is when we all sit here arguing about minutiae. I do believe that in gray areas of the rules, we should honor the intent of the rules but we should also care about the fun of everyone at the table. Common sense and empathy should be as much of what GM brings to the table as much as rules knowledge.

Not allowing people to reroll a Natural One is very harsh. Ignoring a post from one of our leaders on the subject just because it was on social media rather than an official board post is ignoring the intent of the rules as expressed by our leadership.

The rules on rerolls is a reward for players purchasing Paizo gear, but new people will not have them. Allowing a GM to lend out a shirt or folio in these circumstances is not cheating. It is MARKETING. Once a player has tasted the joy of the reroll, they often rush out to purchase their very own.

The PFS rules are not meant as chains for GM and Players. Saying that you cannot reroll a Nat One because the outcome of that roll was certain is being rigid to a fault. We are not rules robots. What the rules are there for is to give us a framework of consistency in the campaign. We are meant to apply our own best judgment.

Okay, rant over.

Hmm

5/5 ⦵⦵⦵

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Hilary Moon Murphy wrote:
We are not rules robots.

Click. Whirr.

We're not?

Scarab Sages 5/5

Hilary Moon Murphy wrote:

When John Compton states on Facebook that a Natural 1 is fair territory for a reroll, I count that as an authoritative source and ruling.

As for the Campaign Coin question, the campaign coin allows rerolls to be given away with GM stars. I do not have a campaign coin -- I am far too new to have earned one, and I haven't done anything big for the society as a whole -- but I do feel that offering my shirt to the table is the same thing as handing a folio over. They now have borrowed my reroll, but without the stars that I would have as a four star GM.

I usually tell the table that there is one reroll available from my shirt. They have to agree who gets it. I generally only give that shirt reroll to someone new.

Rerolls on GM rolls appears to be murky, and a matter of regional variation. I don't believe that GMs should ever be "forced" to reroll except in cases of weird class abilities like the dual-cursed oracle. I would love for GMs campaign-wide to be able to use their own reroll on the player's behalf to try to get rid of dangerous crits. Some believe they can already. Others do not.

_____

I feel a rant coming on, and since I rant so seldom, I hope that you all will forgive me for doing this.

HILARY'S RANT

The thing that turns people off most about PFS Play is when we all sit here arguing about minutiae. I do believe that in gray areas of the rules, we should honor the intent of the rules but we should also care about the fun of everyone at the table. Common sense and empathy should be as much of what GM brings to the table as much as rules knowledge.

Not allowing people to reroll a Natural One is very harsh. Ignoring a post from one of our leaders on the subject just because it was on social media rather than an official board post is ignoring the intent of the rules as expressed by our leadership.

The rules on rerolls is a reward for players purchasing Paizo gear, but new people will not have them. Allowing a GM to lend out a shirt or...

Very well said.

51 to 61 of 61 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Organized Play / Pathfinder Society / GM Shirt Re-roll? All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.