Rename the month of Rova / Torawsh


General Discussion

Liberty's Edge

So apparently Torag disappeared, along with Rovagug? Guess we gotta find a new name for their shared month. I vote "Aspis Month" in honor of that grand old organization.


Gark the Goblin wrote:
So apparently Torag disappeared, along with Rovagug? Guess we gotta find a new name for their shared month. I vote "Aspis Month" in honor of that grand old organization.

why? Thor, Tyr, Odin and Freya are not longer around and the weekdays are still named after them nevertheless

Contributor

Gark the Goblin wrote:
So apparently Torag disappeared, along with Rovagug? Guess we gotta find a new name for their shared month. I vote "Aspis Month" in honor of that grand old organization.

I think in most if not all the non-core gods' cases, it's not that they aren't around, just that they're less prominent. Same way elves and dwarves are still doing their thing in space, but they're not core Starfinder races!


Andrew Mullen wrote:
Gark the Goblin wrote:
So apparently Torag disappeared, along with Rovagug? Guess we gotta find a new name for their shared month. I vote "Aspis Month" in honor of that grand old organization.
I think in most if not all the non-core gods' cases, it's not that they aren't around, just that they're less prominent. Same way elves and dwarves are still doing their thing in space, but they're not core Starfinder races!

No he's right. Rovagug and Torag have apparently disappeared. With that said, isn't there a better way to keep track of time in space that doesn't rely on one specific planet's solar orbit?


Yup. It's kind of the way that Tian Xia has a different main pantheon than the Inner Sea region - not every deity is as prominent in every area. Very probably, Torag is still around, although Rovagug may or may not be missing. XD I'm curious to find out if anyone can get divine power from him.

Contributor

Archmage Variel wrote:
No he's right. Rovagug and Torag have apparently disappeared. With that said, isn't there a better way to keep track of time in space that doesn't rely on one specific planet's solar orbit?

Oh dip, missed that detail! Intriguing...


Don't usually bother with months in space.


Archmage Variel wrote:
Andrew Mullen wrote:
Gark the Goblin wrote:
So apparently Torag disappeared, along with Rovagug? Guess we gotta find a new name for their shared month. I vote "Aspis Month" in honor of that grand old organization.
I think in most if not all the non-core gods' cases, it's not that they aren't around, just that they're less prominent. Same way elves and dwarves are still doing their thing in space, but they're not core Starfinder races!
No he's right. Rovagug and Torag have apparently disappeared. With that said, isn't there a better way to keep track of time in space that doesn't rely on one specific planet's solar orbit?

It's kind of funny-since Absalom Station has kind of become the bender I'd the galaxy thanks to the drift and the starstone, this is kind of the one science fiction thing where it makes sense to clock things all over to one central location. That way there's no squabbles over "you said this weekend! Not the middle of the week!" "This IS the weekend where I'm from!" So you would want everyone to use the same measurement of time for days in space so you don't need to keep changing your clocks. And what makes more sense than using Absalom?

Is basically a great thing for everyone to set their watches top so everyone is on the same page whole in space

Liberty's Edge

The problem with watches in a world with relativistic travels aside;

Some other ideas:

Spacme Water Brand Bottled Water (the month)
Arsha (the most gay month)
Forever (named after the Forever Queen as a motion of appeasement to Nchakis; whether it actually feels longer than other months is a topic of debate)
Asmodan (the worst month)
Epoch (kind of the same problem as Forever tbh)
Weird Bat Month (NOT Nyarlathotep's month - don't even worry about it! don't even think about it!)


Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber; Pathfinder Companion, Maps, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Maps, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber

The Pathfinder calendar still has a month called Arodus. The death or disappearance of a god is no reason to change the name of the month -- especially if the god in question is "gone but not forgotten".

What a deity would really find annoying would be if people decided that a certain deity was so obscure that his month should be renamed to honor a more relevant deity -- and the deity who lost that month is still very much around.


Hythlodeus wrote:
Gark the Goblin wrote:
So apparently Torag disappeared, along with Rovagug? Guess we gotta find a new name for their shared month. I vote "Aspis Month" in honor of that grand old organization.
why? Thor, Tyr, Odin and Freya are not longer around and the weekdays are still named after them nevertheless

Nor Woden (Wednesday), Mars (March), Maia (May), Juno (June).

And Julius Caesar (July) and Augustus (August) aren't even gods.

Assuming Absalom Station uses Golarion time (and given the Gap, I'd assume they would), I wouldn't be surprised to see the existing Golarion months and day names used.


Symar wrote:
Hythlodeus wrote:
Gark the Goblin wrote:
So apparently Torag disappeared, along with Rovagug? Guess we gotta find a new name for their shared month. I vote "Aspis Month" in honor of that grand old organization.
why? Thor, Tyr, Odin and Freya are not longer around and the weekdays are still named after them nevertheless

Nor Woden (Wednesday), Mars (March), Maia (May), Juno (June).

And Julius Caesar (July) and Augustus (August) aren't even gods.

Assuming Absalom Station uses Golarion time (and given the Gap, I'd assume they would), I wouldn't be surprised to see the existing Golarion months and day names used.

Firstly, most Roman emperors were deified upon death.

Secondly, you missed Janus.

Just as a Rome nerd :)

Liberty's Edge

oh my god it was a joke


I would expect a new multiplanetary calendar to have been more or less accepted. Not everyone's planet rotates at the same speed. Besides, when you're in space, it's always lunchtime somewhere.

Old timey folks, and those reenactors from the Institute for Inventive Incongruency will keep up the old ways, but there's no reason for everyone else in the Pact to do it.

Naming days of the week makes as much sense as naming them after the colors of the rainbow. I would not be surprised if some cultures had a different name for each day of every month. The plethora of feast days in Christendom comes close; each day of the year could be dedicated to (and named after) someone given enough time.

Scarab Sages

Hythlodeus wrote:


why? Thor, Tyr, Odin and Freya are not longer around and the weekdays are still named after them nevertheless

Oh, aren't they?


9 people marked this as a favorite.

Hey, here's a funny joke:

Q: What happens when you try to ask a bunch of gamers a joke?

A: What the hell is that question supposed to mean?!

Scarab Sages

Kobold Cleaver wrote:

Hey, here's a funny joke:

Q: What happens when you try to ask a bunch of gamers a joke?

A: What the hell is that question supposed to mean?!

Maybe just in certain enclaves (including this site, sometimes).

There is perverse humor, and then there is meanness and stupidity thinly disguised as humor, and despite there being no true overlap, some people can't tell the difference.

Why so serious...?

Scarab Sages

Pathfinder Starfinder Society Subscriber

Drand, for the legendary Drandle Dreng.


5 people marked this as a favorite.

Just do what the Vesk did:
- Vesk Month 01
- Vesk Month 02
- Vesk Month 03
- Vesk Month 04
- Vesk Month 05
- Vesk Month 06
- Vesk Month 07
- Vesk Month 08
- Vesk Month 09
- Vesk Month 10
- Vesk Month 11
- Vesk Month 12
- Vesk Month 13*

* There will be more months in the future, because it is the future.

Liberty's Edge

Ok I was a little too harsh earlier. What if we named the month something like "Stardate" in honor of the honestly pretty creditable idea that months shouldn't even exist in space?


Why not? A month is the lunar cycle of a moon, I am sure there are plenty of moons.


What happens if I try to go forward into the future to the 14th month?


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Tom Kalbfus wrote:
Why not? A month is the lunar cycle of a moon, I am sure there are plenty of moons.

Boy, Gark, you just can't win, can you? :P


2 people marked this as a favorite.

The drift could make a viable beginning date for a calendar. As for the length of a year, it would make sense to mark a starfinder year off of the Golarion/Absalom Station orbit (365 days) because of Absalom Station plays such integral role in drift travel. As for smaller units of measurement, I suppose those would have to exist in some form for ease of use, likely the same old months/weeks/days/hours/seconds that we've come to know.


The Sideromancer wrote:
Symar wrote:
Hythlodeus wrote:
Gark the Goblin wrote:
So apparently Torag disappeared, along with Rovagug? Guess we gotta find a new name for their shared month. I vote "Aspis Month" in honor of that grand old organization.
why? Thor, Tyr, Odin and Freya are not longer around and the weekdays are still named after them nevertheless

Nor Woden (Wednesday), Mars (March), Maia (May), Juno (June).

And Julius Caesar (July) and Augustus (August) aren't even gods.

Assuming Absalom Station uses Golarion time (and given the Gap, I'd assume they would), I wouldn't be surprised to see the existing Golarion months and day names used.

Firstly, most Roman emperors were deified upon death.

Secondly, you missed Janus.

Just as a Rome nerd :)

Augustus was deified, Julius Caesar wasn't. Julius Caesar was never an emperor for that matter.


You have me there.


Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber; Pathfinder Companion, Maps, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Maps, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber

Julius Caesar never became emperor, but he was deified by the Roman Senate after his death.

Community / Forums / Starfinder / Starfinder General Discussion / Rename the month of Rova / Torawsh All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.