Alchemical Laboratory


Rules Questions and Gameplay Discussion


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

Alchemical Laboratory At This Location says "If you defeat a bane by 4 or more, each character at this location is dealt 1d4 Acid damage."

Should this be "If the result of your check to defeat a bane exceeds its difficulty by 4 or more"? If no, how is this supposed to work with banes with multiple checks?


The recent FAQ on Shadow of the Sphinx scenario uses the sentence
"If the result of any check to defeat a bane you encounter..."
So we may end up with that kind of FAQ FOR ALL SUCH POWERS.

Meanwhile we have always house rules that unless told otherwise the sentence "defeat a bane" (for the purpose of sentences like the one you quote) refer to the last check required and only applies if the bane is ultimately defeated

e. g. Imagine a "french goblin" monster that would say
Checks to defeat: combat 4 then intelligence 6
After you act, if you would defeat the "french goblin", recharge a card or the "french goblin" is undefeated

we would house rule that the Alchemical Laboratory's power happens at the time you recharge the card and apply only if the combat check was 4+ and the intelligence check result was 10+

Paizo Employee Chief Technical Officer

Frencois wrote:

The recent FAQ on Shadow of the Sphinx scenario uses the sentence

"If the result of any check to defeat a bane you encounter..."
So we may end up with that kind of FAQ FOR ALL SUCH POWERS.

This seems likely, and probably is a good way to resolve it until we make an official ruling.

Grand Lodge

Pathfinder Card Game Subscriber

Yeah, just ran into this last night in 3-4D (Spinel's Grave). Zetha was alone at the Alchemical Laboratory, and met the Druj Nasu, which (including summoning and encountering the Headless) involves two combats and a non-combat check. Having no way to succeed at all except by using her replace-any-non-combat-check-with-stealth ability and Ahtez for combat means lots of monster checks, which meant lots of Acid damage (nobody had Stone Skin handy).

PFSACG may remember that Adventure 4 of SoPluTo says...

Tomb of the Godless Host wrote:
When you are dealt Acid or Fire damage, if that damage is not reduced by at least 1, suffer the scourge Curse of the Ravenous.

I did manage to squeek it out with luck, a Shield Cape, and by keeping out one monster for damage reduction...

Paizo Employee Chief Technical Officer

Vic Wertz wrote:
Frencois wrote:

The recent FAQ on Shadow of the Sphinx scenario uses the sentence

"If the result of any check to defeat a bane you encounter..."
So we may end up with that kind of FAQ FOR ALL SUCH POWERS.
This seems likely, and probably is a good way to resolve it until we make an official ruling.

Added FAQs for Ring of the Iron Skull (S&S3), Pit Gladiator (WotR4, Paladin, Barbarian), and Glass Boat (MM6).


Vic Wertz wrote:
Vic Wertz wrote:
Frencois wrote:

The recent FAQ on Shadow of the Sphinx scenario uses the sentence

"If the result of any check to defeat a bane you encounter..."
So we may end up with that kind of FAQ FOR ALL SUCH POWERS.
This seems likely, and probably is a good way to resolve it until we make an official ruling.
Added FAQs for Ring of the Iron Skull (S&S3), Pit Gladiator (WotR4, Paladin, Barbarian), and Glass Boat (MM6).

Shouldn't Alchemical Laboratory's "At that location" also be FAQed?

Community / Forums / Pathfinder / Pathfinder Adventure Card Game / Rules Questions and Gameplay Discussion / Alchemical Laboratory All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.
Recent threads in Rules Questions and Gameplay Discussion
Role Cards