Alien Gods


General Discussion

1 to 50 of 91 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | next > last >>

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Companion, Maps, Pathfinder Accessories Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber

So, I am dying to know about the new gods that will show up in Starfinder. I mean, can we get some more information on them already!?! Sheesh! Anyway, I am opening this thread to consolidate and update what is known about the new core 20 that will be in Starfinder and to speculate on those possibilities until we learn more information. I started this train of thought in another thread, but I thought it deserves its own thread.

Primarily, I am concerned with the totally new gods, but I am also curious about what existing gods from Pathfinder that were not a part of the old core 20 that might show up in the new core 20. Also, I wonder if any of the gods we do know about will have their portfolios altered in any way to reflect more... modern sensibilities...? (For example, if Besmara makes it into this new core 20, would she still be considered by most to be a goddess of sea monsters as well as piracy and strife? Or, would she become more of a goddess of monsters that prey on those who travel or maybe "undiscovered monsters" or "monsters from the unknown"? Or, maybe she adds "manifest destiny" to her portfolio? - After all, isn't that a type of piracy, too? What about Sarenrae? Is she a goddess of just Golarion's Sun or is she a goddess of stars, too, like Desna? And, if so, what does that mean for Desna?) I'm not as concerned with domains since we do not know whether or not they will even be in the game or not as they are a game mechanic of Pathfinder that may or may not survive the transition to Starfinder. Looking at the alignments of the 7 hold-over gods might also give us a clue as to the alignments of the remaining, new core 20.

The Starfinder core 20 deity list as we know it thus far:

1. Abadar (LN) - God of Cities, Law, Merchants, and Wealth
2. Desna (CG) - Goddess of Dreams, Luck, Stars, and Travelers
3. Iomedae (LG) - Goddess of Honor, Justice, Rulership, and Valor
4. Pharasma (N) - Goddess of Birth, Death, Fate, and Prophecy
5. Sarenrae (NG) - Goddess of Healing, Honesty, Redemption, and the Sun
6. Urgathoa (NE) - Goddess of Disease, Gluttony, and Undeath
7. Zon-Kuthon (LE) - God of Darkness, Envy, Loss, and Pain
8. Triune (N?) - Artificial Intelligence God/Goddess/something gender neutral? of the Drift, Technology?, Invention?, Space Travel?, Internet?, Androids/Robots/Artificial Life?, Patron-Saint of Mechanics?, and/or...?
9. Weydan (CG?) - God(dess)? of Discovery, Equality, and... Exploration?, Freedom?, Learning?
10. (LG?)
11. (LN?)
12. (LE?)
13. (NG?)
14. (N?) - Nature/Space/Unknown?
15. (NE?)
16. (NE?)
17. (CN?)
18. (CN?)
19. (CE?)
20. (CE?)

We still know less than half of the gods that will end up in Starfinder's core 20.

So, we still don't know who 11 of the gods are yet. But, we do know about Xenowardens (space druids), so I wonder what "nature god" they might worship since we know Gozreh didn't make it?

I'll wager that some of the these empty slots will be existing gods or powers that were not a part of the core 20 from Pathfinder, like Besmara, Brigh, Sun Wukong, or an ascended demon lord, angel, or maybe even a great old one... or two or three.

What do you guys think? What portfolios should we see here that we might not have seen or cared about in Pathfinder? Languages? Computers? Math? Physics? Evolution? Black Holes? Robots? Corporate bottom lines?


why sun wukong mate? I am intrigued now but we gonna get asmodeus in some power since he is the warden of golarion( rovanugs cage)

Grand Lodge

Pathfinder Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Society Subscriber

I'd like to see a preview blog per each new god, and not one blog that introduces them all at the same time :).

Gods I expect to see:
A Vesk god of war (replacing Gorum)
A Lashunta goddess of nature and hunting (replacing Erastil)
The Black Butterfly as a major deity instead of a minor one


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Companion, Maps, Pathfinder Accessories Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber
khadgar567 wrote:
why sun wukong mate? I am intrigued now but we gonna get asmodeus in some power since he is the warden of golarion( rovanugs cage)

Sun Wukong was just an example to show there are other gods to consider from other parts of Golarion. He may not be one of the new core 20; I'm just saying we should consider what is already out there for us to look at.

As for Asmodeus, we have already been told by Paizo staff that he will not be a part of the core 20, even though he is still around. He just isn't as prominent when you look at all the other gods that will have an influence on the setting when you consider that Golarion is just one world in an entire galaxy. Sure, he might make the deific pop charts top 100, but that don't mean he is in the top 20 most influential deities of the setting. Same for Rovagug (if he is still around - we haven't heard anything specifically about him, yet - though, personally, my assumption would be that he has gone to wherever Golarion is - heck, he may have had something to do with it being missing).


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Not just the alignments of the gods, but also their domains. If the domains are the same in Starfinder (if they have domains), then finding out which ones are not represented by the current list of gods, we'd have a clearer picture of what to expect for the rest of the list.

So far we have these domains covered by the 7 Pathfinder gods: Chaos, Darkness, Death, Destruction, Earth, Evil, Fire, Glory, Good, Healing, Knowledge, Law, Liberation, Luck, Magic, Nobility, Protection, Repose, Strength, Sun, Travel, War, and Water. That leaves: Air, Animal, Artifice, Charm, Community, Madness, Plant, Ruins, Rune, Scalykind, Trickery, Vermin, Void, Weather. 23 out of 37 domains, giving us a total of 14 domains unused. The remaining unknown gods will have these domains... assuming domains are still a thing in Starfinder.

Edit: For domains.


How do we know the gods all over space are limited to 20? In Spelljammer, each celestial sphere had its own set of gods.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Tom Kalbfus wrote:
How do we know the gods all over space are limited to 20? In Spelljammer, each celestial sphere had its own set of gods.

They aren't limited to 20, but like Pathfinder, Starfinder has 20 Core gods. These are gods that will be depicted in the core rulebook and usually have a greater presence in the setting than other gods. Many of pathfinders other gods are still supposedly kicking.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

New god from Meet: Keskodai!

Hylax, the Forever Queen


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Companion, Maps, Pathfinder Accessories Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber
CKent83 wrote:

New god from Meet: Keskodai!

Hylax, the Forever Queen

And let's not forget that her followers value friendship and diplomacy. I'm gonna guess that her alignment is on the Good axis. In fact, with the "forever" and "friendship" angles involved here I am wondering if this is going to be the goddess of BFFs! :)


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Ashanderai wrote:
And let's not forget that her followers value friendship and diplomacy. I'm gonna guess that her alignment is on the Good axis. In fact, with the "forever" and "friendship" angles involved here I am wondering if this is going to be the goddess of BFFs! :)

Which would probably give her the Charm and Community domains; so that's 3/5 we can discern from her, bringing us down to 12 domains currently unused.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Companion, Maps, Pathfinder Accessories Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber
CKent83 wrote:
Ashanderai wrote:
And let's not forget that her followers value friendship and diplomacy. I'm gonna guess that her alignment is on the Good axis. In fact, with the "forever" and "friendship" angles involved here I am wondering if this is going to be the goddess of BFFs! :)
Which would probably give her the Charm and Community domains; so that's 3/5 we can discern from her, bringing us down to 12 domains currently unused.

I agree. In fact, I'll bet this might even be the patron goddess of the Shirren.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Ashanderai wrote:
CKent83 wrote:
Ashanderai wrote:
And let's not forget that her followers value friendship and diplomacy. I'm gonna guess that her alignment is on the Good axis. In fact, with the "forever" and "friendship" angles involved here I am wondering if this is going to be the goddess of BFFs! :)
Which would probably give her the Charm and Community domains; so that's 3/5 we can discern from her, bringing us down to 12 domains currently unused.
I agree. In fact, I'll bet this might even be the patron goddess of the Shirren.

Not extremely likely. The Forever Queen was mentioned as a god in Distant Worlds, where it was worshiped on the moon of Nchak by various arthropod inhabitants of the moon. That is, unless Hylax was worshiped outside the Pact Worlds as well.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Companion, Maps, Pathfinder Accessories Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber

I just double checked Distant Worlds with a word search and The Forever Queen is mentioned, but only as the current moral incarnation of the Forever Queen, and the name, Hylax, is not mentioned at all.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Ashanderai wrote:
I just double checked Distant Worlds with a word search and The Forever Queen is mentioned, but only as the current moral incarnation of the Forever Queen, and the name, Hylax, is not mentioned at all.

My thoughts are that either:

a) The term "mortal incarnation" is simply another way of saying an avatar of the god/goddess known as the Forever Queen or...
b) The Forever Queen of pathfinder really isn't a deity, and that one of the incarnations of the Forever Queen ascended to divinity.

I suppose it seems more likely that the Forever Queen of Pathfinder was purely mortal, but that makes me wonder what could've happened that could raise the Forever Queen to godhood.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Companion, Maps, Pathfinder Accessories Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber
Archmage Variel wrote:
Ashanderai wrote:
I just double checked Distant Worlds with a word search and The Forever Queen is mentioned, but only as the current moral incarnation of the Forever Queen, and the name, Hylax, is not mentioned at all.

My thoughts are that either:

a) The term "mortal incarnation" is simply another way of saying an avatar of the god/goddess known as the Forever Queen or...
b) The Forever Queen of pathfinder really isn't a deity, and that one of the incarnations of the Forever Queen ascended to divinity.

I suppose it seems more likely that the Forever Queen of Pathfinder was purely mortal, but that makes me wonder what could've happened that could raise the Forever Queen to godhood.

Well, if human mortals could ascend to godhood, why not alien species, too?


1 person marked this as a favorite.

They almost certainly have. XD ...Admittedly, things like the Starstone probably aren't common, but still. I mean, there was Irori. The real question is whether or not any are present, and I'd be very surprised if we didn't get at least one or two of them at some point (although whether they're core deities is something I'm not prepared to guess at).


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Ashanderai wrote:
Archmage Variel wrote:
Ashanderai wrote:
I just double checked Distant Worlds with a word search and The Forever Queen is mentioned, but only as the current moral incarnation of the Forever Queen, and the name, Hylax, is not mentioned at all.

My thoughts are that either:

a) The term "mortal incarnation" is simply another way of saying an avatar of the god/goddess known as the Forever Queen or...
b) The Forever Queen of pathfinder really isn't a deity, and that one of the incarnations of the Forever Queen ascended to divinity.

I suppose it seems more likely that the Forever Queen of Pathfinder was purely mortal, but that makes me wonder what could've happened that could raise the Forever Queen to godhood.

Well, if human mortals could ascend to godhood, why not alien species, too?

Ya but usually something drastic happens for a mortal to become a god. And the Forever Queen has (possibly) become a CORE god. Meaning they're one of the largest faiths present in the system. In Pathfinder at least, those positions are usually reserved for gods with a lot of power or at least presence in the setting (and Cayden, he's just along for the party).


2 people marked this as a favorite.
GM Rednal wrote:
They almost certainly have. XD ...Admittedly, things like the Starstone probably aren't common, but still. I mean, there was Irori. The real question is whether or not any are present, and I'd be very surprised if we didn't get at least one or two of them at some point (although whether they're core deities is something I'm not prepared to guess at).

Irori wasn't the only ascended that didn't need a space rock, and I would expect space rocks to be pretty common in space. Well, probably. Stupid Gap erasing my research on the subject...


2 people marked this as a favorite.

Either that or the Forever Queen was always a deity and the mortal incarnation was merely an alien bug pope.


you know if f ing AI can become god then why frigging not there is a shirren deity with name of forever queen hell there is opportunity to even random Chihuahua to become god of purse pets for all i care


1 person marked this as a favorite.

I hope the Swarm has a deity (or demon lord) of unchecked consumption. Also worshipped by capitalists in the Pact Worlds.

At the very least, having a divine/demonic aspect to them would set the Swarm apart from Zerg/'Nids and such.


I would imagine that all the pathfinder deities are still around.
Calistria would still have a following on castrovel....

that said.. since we are not on golarion, I do foresee a book for each planet int eh make that will go into further detail.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Damoritosh the Conqueror.

Maybe: Destruction, Nobility, Scalykind, War, and whatever alignment is associated with the god.

I hope they put up a full gods list sometime. Maybe after the Iconics and Class previews?


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Companion, Maps, Pathfinder Accessories Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber

Well, we now learned of Damoitosh the Conqueror in Obizaya the iconic soldier's entry on the Paizo blog. This makes him the 11th deity we now know the name of and from the context, I would guess that he is a war god and probably with the domain of protection, too. I'm guessing he is on the lawful axis for alignment and likely to be most often depicted as vesk.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

I would peg Damoritosh the Conqueror as being the 2nd lawful evil god of the star finder core 20. Considering he's a God of military conquest and expansion, he doesn't seem to be particularly benevolent. Besides, considering that the latest iconic preview net out of its way to indicate that the man character had "accepted some of the criticisms of Damoritosh", inclines me to believe that she shifted away from LE (the god's alignment) towards a LN.

I really can't picture Damoritosh being anything but LE or LN though. It's almost certainly one of those two.


I'd need more information to be sure, but I'm guessing Damoritosh is not Evil. My #1 reason for saying that is because one of the Iconics is a follower, and I'm not sure of how good an idea it would be for Paizo to have a worshiper of an Evil god be one of their flagship characters.

She also doesn't present (to me) as 100% lawful. You don't have destructive parties if you're lawful. She also doesn't present as Evil. Therefore following the 1 step rule, I'd guess the god is Lawful Neutral, while Obozaya is True Neutral.

Unconcerned with morality, but cares for the well-being of her crew. Honorable,but erratic. She believes in her god, but not in her people's politics. A True Neutral follower of a Lawful Neutral good.


The "one step" rule is for clerics. No reason a disillusioned nominal worshiper couldn't be 2 or 3 steps removed.

I don't see how a "conqueror" can be non-evil. But not all followers of evil gods are insane cultists.


Pathfinder Society rules say characters cannot be evil and must be within one step of their deity. Why have that different for their Iconics in Starfinder?


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Companion, Maps, Pathfinder Accessories Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber
CKent83 wrote:
Pathfinder Society rules say characters cannot be evil and must be within one step of their deity. Why have that different for their Iconics in Starfinder?

You are forgetting that Pathfinder already has evil iconics starting with the magus and mesmerist. I think there is another one, too, but I can't remember which right now. Also no one is saying that Lady Obo is evil; just her deity.


I'm in the camp of non-evil for the deity. If conquest is evil, then so is war. But yet are all war gods evil? No. Killing someone is considered evil in most civilized society, yet people kill in games all the time without an alignment shift.

I'd definitely say lawful neutral.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

A war in self defense is generally considered very different to a war of conquest by most moral philosophers.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Lost Omens, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber

So, it seems Triune is a unity of Brigh, Casandalee, and Epoch, the "machine-built deity of Aballon"

Grand Lodge

Pathfinder Companion, Pathfinder Accessories, Pawns Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber; Starfinder Superscriber
Cole Deschain wrote:
So, it seems Triune is a unity of Brigh, Casandalee, and Epoch, the "machine-built deity of Aballon"

Epoch is mentioned in distant worlds, an "AI" that the construct inhabitants of Aballon had been trying to ascend to godhood

Liberty's Edge

1 person marked this as a favorite.

Guess we'll find out if Razmir ever succeeded!


I hope there's a way to worship these deities individually. If not, I'm hopping for at least a depiction of all the three of them individually.

We never actually got a full body character illustration for Casandalee or Epoch - their "avatar". I would like to see how they actually looked when they were a single being.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
The Gold Sovereign wrote:

I hope there's a way to worship these deities individually. If not, I'm hopping for at least a depiction of all the three of them individually.

We never actually got a full body character illustration for Casandalee or Epoch - their "avatar". I would like to see how they actually looked when they were a single being.

It could be an idea to have differing sects worshipping Triune in different ways.


4 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Companion, Maps, Pathfinder Accessories Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber

So two new God names got revealed at the preview banquet: Nyarlathotep from Cthulhu mythos pantheon and Oras, God of evolution.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Ashanderai wrote:
So two new God names got revealed at the preview banquet: Nyarlathotep from Cthulhu mythos pantheon and Oras, God of evolution.

Oras lines up so well for the reference I can't help but think it was intentional.

For Hoenn!


This is extremely funny for reasons I can't elaborate on here. Suffice to say it should be entertaining.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Lost Omens, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Ashanderai wrote:
Nyarlathotep

Unspeakable horrors from beyond the stars get the representation they deserve!

Quote:
Oras, God of evolution.

Oooooo....

Liberty's Edge

Pathfinder Companion, Pathfinder Accessories Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber

All the recent revelations about the new greater gods make me extremely happy

I hope the old ones saw some significant changes too so that they do not feel boring :-D


Pathfinder Companion, Maps, Pathfinder Accessories Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber

Rovagug and Torag have been confirmed as being gods who are now missing in Starfinder.


Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber; Pathfinder Companion, Maps, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Maps, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber

The Pathfinder calendar still has a month called Arodus. The death or disappearance of a god is no reason to change the name of the month -- especially if the god in question is "gone but not forgotten".

As for Torag being missing -- I think they did this to reduce Dwarves to minor race status because of their malaise over his disappearance. The Starfinder setting would otherwise be tailor made for Dwarven dominance.


David knott 242 wrote:
As for Torag being missing -- I think they did this to reduce Dwarves to minor race status because of their malaise over his disappearance. The Starfinder setting would otherwise be tailor made for Dwarven dominance.

What do you mean by that last sentence? Elaborate please. :)


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber; Pathfinder Companion, Maps, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Maps, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber
Giorgo wrote:
David knott 242 wrote:
As for Torag being missing -- I think they did this to reduce Dwarves to minor race status because of their malaise over his disappearance. The Starfinder setting would otherwise be tailor made for Dwarven dominance.
What do you mean by that last sentence? Elaborate please. :)

Dwarves are traditionally better with fine crafting than with magic, so they should love a setting where technology can compete with and in some cases outdo magic.


Who wants to bet that 1-2 of the new gods ascended from the Starstone (like Iomedae, or Cayden Cailean)? I'd bet that Weydan became a god that way.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
CKent83 wrote:
Who wants to bet that 1-2 of the new gods ascended from the Starstone (like Iomedae, or Cayden Cailean)? I'd bet that Weydan became a god that way.

I'm of the opinion that Weydan was a god from elsewhere who just wandered into the Pantheon one day after taking a wrong turn at Albuquerque.

Scarab Sages

1 person marked this as a favorite.
David knott 242 wrote:
Giorgo wrote:
David knott 242 wrote:
As for Torag being missing -- I think they did this to reduce Dwarves to minor race status because of their malaise over his disappearance. The Starfinder setting would otherwise be tailor made for Dwarven dominance.
What do you mean by that last sentence? Elaborate please. :)

Dwarves are traditionally better with fine crafting than with magic, so they should love a setting where technology can compete with and in some cases outdo magic.

I'm just wondering if the dwarves turned to Droskar in the absence of Torag, and are not prominent in the core worlds because they're toiling away as they should.


7 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Lost Omens, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber

Behold, BeastsofWar comes bearing gifts!

So...

Abadar- LN
Desna- CG
Iomedae- LG
Hylax- LG
Pharasma- N
Eloritu- N and SO FRIGGIN' MY SPEED.
Sarenrae- NG
Urgathoa- NE
Zon-Kuthon- LE
Nyarlathotep- CE
Oras- CN and SO TOTALLY AWESOME

Triune- N? (Brigh is N... don't recall the alignments of the other two off the top of my head)

Weydan (CG?)

Damoritosh the Conqueror (LN? LE? N?)


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure, Adventure Path, Lost Omens, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber

So freaking amazing. Oras is such a wonderful concept for a god - I think my first PC will likely devote themself to it. Either Oras or Besmara. Please-please-please let Besmara be one of the remaining gods! :D

1 to 50 of 91 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Starfinder / Starfinder General Discussion / Alien Gods All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.